Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cream of Crab Soup

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39
mrnemo

• Total Posts: 1
RE: Cream of Crab Soup Wed, 07/13/05 5:44 PM (permalink)
She-crab soup- I am obsessed with it. The only place I have ever seen it in Jacksonville is at a place called The River Club. It is members only, and I no longer have a membership =\ But anyway, on their menu, it is called North Carolina She Crab Soup, but I have read that it was made popular in Charleston, SC... how strange. Anyway, Emeril has a she-crab soup recipe that calls for hard boiled egg as well, so I assume the roe is not a necessity.

backfrmIraq

• Total Posts: 73
    RE: Cream of Crab Soup Wed, 07/13/05 6:23 PM (permalink)
    Down here in Mobile restaurants serve she crab soup, but shrimp and crab bisque, gumbo and crab chodder are the favorites....best crab chowder on the western shore of the bay is at a local restaurant named Baudeans, make you want to slap yo momma good chowder! like $3.95 for a good size cup...Baudeans is on the road to Dauphin Island and they make an awesome oyster or shrimp Po'Boy

CETURTL

• Total Posts: 77
      RE: Cream of Crab Soup Wed, 08/17/05 12:14 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by shaynas_mom

I've had she-crab soup as well, and no, it's not the same. She-crab soup calls for roe. I'd never prepare this soup, probably because I'm a recreational crabber and I always throw the females back, whether they're pregnant or not (and it's against the law to keep a pregnant crab in NJ).

Both taste mighty good, though. And you know what? I almost forgot about the cream of crab soup my boyfriend and daughter and I ate in Easton, Maryland a few summers back. It was at Legal Spirits Tavern in downtown Easton, right next to the Avalon Theatre (very cool place). It was pretty expensive for a bowl, but worth every single
      penny.

I live near the coast in SC. Many of the restaurants serve "she-crab" soup here as a specialty. Many of the locals make it at home. It is also illegal to keep pregnant crabs here. I've never seen any ingrediants in the soup which resemble roe nor have I seen egg in the soup. I think "she crab" is probably a mis-nomer in most restaurants when they are actually serving creamed crab soup.
      In the better restaurants, the lump crab is placed in the dish first with a dash of sherry, then the cream sauce is poured over it.

huntryce

• Total Posts: 115
        RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 10/10/05 1:17 PM (permalink)
        Authentic she crab soup uses crab roe. It isn't illegal. (You eat caviar, - fish roe - right?) Here's a source online:

http://www.charlestonseafood.com/mall/Shellfish.asp

And here's a recipe from the restaurant 82 Queen, which they have posted on their website: http://www.82queen.com/recipes_she_crab_soup.asp

82 QUEEN AWARD WINNING
        SHE CRAB SOUP

ROUX:

¼ LB. BUTTER
        ¼ LB. FLOUR

PREPARATION:
        MELT BUTTER STIR IN FLOUR TO MAKE ROUX. ADD MILK AND CREAM, BRING TO BOIL. ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS, SIMMER FOR 20 MINUTES. GARNISH WITH SHERRIED WHIPPED CREAM.

INGREDIENTS:

1 CUP HEAVY CREAM
        3 CUPS MILK
        2 CUPS FISH STOCK OR WATER AND FISH BASE
        ¼ LB. CRAB ROE
        1 LB WHITE CRABMEAT (SPECIAL)
        1 CUP CHOPPED CELERY, LIGHTLY SAUTÉED WITH:
        ¼ CUP CHOPPED CARROTS
        ¼ CUP CHOPPED ONION
        ¼ CUP SHERRY WINE
        1 TBL. TABASCO SAUCE
        1 TBL. WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

MAKES 12 SERVINGS.

I prefer it without all the vegetables.

CETURTL

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Wed, 11/30/05 2:53 AM (permalink)
          If you check the SC dept of Natural Resources, you will find that it IS illegal to fish for, harm, or keep female blue crabs (with roe attached),(sponge Crabs) in SC. I also found information on line that states it is illegal in NY and I believe in Maryland.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
            RE: Cream of Crab Soup Wed, 11/30/05 10:31 AM (permalink)
            Not sure of the other states, but in Maryland, it has been illegal to keep crabs with roe since 1989. So if a MD restaurant lists she-crab soup on the menu, it would have to be made with "imported" crabs, although the roe traditionally has been the item that uniquely makes it she-crab soup.

As a side note, from 1983 to 1988, sponge crabs were legal to catch in MD, so if you ate she-crab soup during those years, it very well could have been the real deal.

CETURTL

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Thu, 12/1/05 1:59 AM (permalink)
              I've noticed posts from NJ residents that state it is also illegal there.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                RE: Cream of Crab Soup Thu, 12/1/05 8:11 AM (permalink)
                Sorry folks but she crab soup hasn't had roe in it for many years. I had it that way maybe thirty years ago (probably illegal even then) and it is unreal. Put the roe in the soup and you don't have any crabs in a few years. My understaning is that even the keeping of a sponge crab (female w/ roe) is illegal in NC and SC.

PS best crab soup is in McClellanville, SC at the Crab Shop. Second is Hotel Charlotte in Charlotte.

shawn88c

• Total Posts: 2
                  RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 01/21/08 6:08 PM (permalink)
                  if it WERE completely illegal then you couldn't BUY it. You can't harvest the crabs with roe attatched to the outside of the shell, you can keep the roe from crabs w/ roe on inside.

So you're telling me that if I but a couple bushells of crab and get it home and find out I have a few females in the bunch I am committing a illegal act by cooking and eating them? And as to V960- maybe then we should all stop fishing and eating any meats because in a few years there won't be any thing left.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com