Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cream of Crab Soup

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39
harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1084
Cream of Crab Soup Sun, 09/19/04 6:46 PM (permalink)
I did a search on here to make sure there was no other mention of this soup. I feel a bit timid starting a thread, because I'm not good at restaurant reviews. Plus I digress way too much. It's a problem, so I usually stick to adding to existing threads. However, I had to mention two places in Chincoteague, Virginia, where the cream of crab soup was "SLAMMIN'"!! My daughter and I just returned back home last night from there. The first place we had it was at Bill's Seafood Restaurant on Main St. I would recommend this place not only for this soup, but for the professional service and just the nice, laid-back (yet kinda semi-elegant) quality of the place. The soup was creamy, of course, not too thin, not too thick, had nice chunks of crab in it (ever have soup or chowder where you couldn't see what the soup was about, where it was just flavored and there were no pieces to prove this was the soup you ordered?) and it was spicy enough where I had to get up and go into the ladies' room and blow my nose (lol). That was the first place. The second place is called Ray's Shanty and is on Route 175 in Wattsville. It's close to the NASA Visitor's Center and NOAA. It looks like a dark green house. This place caters to the locals and I'm glad we went. It was recommended by one of our field reps at work who lives in VA Beach. The soup was a dollar cheaper at $3.95 for a big bowl that I couldn't finish! The crab chunks were smaller, but honestly, the overall dining experience was a bit more roadfoodish and felt even more comfortable to us. Lots of people, families with small children etc. who go to seaside towns are too tired, too worn out by their younguns to schlep even slightly out of town, so they go more locally and they basically get roped into those buffets or whatever. They don't want to drive even a few miles out of town to get something with more quality.

Anyway, since this is about soup I won't mention the "bangin'" hushpuppies at Ray's or the outrageously good softshells...but I guess it's too late since I just did. We will return to this place. The service here was also friendly, unpretentious and quick.

oldfrt

• Total Posts: 269
    RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/15/05 3:30 PM (permalink)
    Love the stuff and best I ever had was out East. I used to work in Annapolis MD (the home for Blue Crabs) and a few of us used to go to lunch at a Restaurant maybe called the Chesapeak Inn. Been many years so I don't even remember if that was the name or if they are still there anymore. If I remember correctly you went East out of Annapolis, maybe Hwy 50, and before you got to the Bridge it was there.

This was not a FF place. Big bowls of very creamy, homemade, soup with big pieces of Blue Crab in it. They also had a pouring bottle of Sherry on the table which you "annointed" your soup with! Great with a appetiser platter of cold shrimp smothered in Old Bay seasoning and a Martini!

Miss that!

Don

harriet1954

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/15/05 5:05 PM (permalink)
      Someone answered a thread I started! Now I don't have to change my screen name! Just kidding.

oldfrt

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/15/05 5:25 PM (permalink)
        Hey, it's a good topic! I have started some that are still sitting at ZERO!

Don

oldfrt

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/15/05 6:00 PM (permalink)
          Hey Peachpie9, I agree with you 100%! You must be out in the Northwest somewhere as you mentioned dungeness crab. About four years of my life was in the DC and Annapolis MD area and NOTHING beats the East Coast for Crab and also Boston, Maine, for Lobsters. Also, love Oysters from the Bay. The best!

Been in Denver here for over 7 years and the closest we get to "Ocean Food" are Rocky Mountain Oysters! (LOL) We wont go there!

Miss the East coast for good sea food!

Don

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
            RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/15/05 9:43 PM (permalink)
            On the outer banks of North Carolina, many establishments sell what they call "she crab soup". It's a cream based soup but I don't claim to know all the ingredients and such. I enjoyed it at Sam and Omies and at Kelly's.

Is this similar to the cream of crab soup you're describing herein?

harriet1954

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/15/05 10:54 PM (permalink)
              I've had she-crab soup as well, and no, it's not the same. She-crab soup calls for roe. I'd never prepare this soup, probably because I'm a recreational crabber and I always throw the females back, whether they're pregnant or not (and it's against the law to keep a pregnant crab in NJ).

Both taste mighty good, though. And you know what? I almost forgot about the cream of crab soup my boyfriend and daughter and I ate in Easton, Maryland a few summers back. It was at Legal Spirits Tavern in downtown Easton, right next to the Avalon Theatre (very cool place). It was pretty expensive for a bowl, but worth every single penny.

TJ Jackson

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/15/05 11:13 PM (permalink)
                ack, I had no idea I was eating crab eggs.....never again

harriet1954

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sun, 01/16/05 10:30 AM (permalink)
                  Peachpie, this link will show you the difference. This refers to blue crabs, however. I don't know about any other types of crabs. http://www.blue-crab.org/identification.php

Aw, TJ, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Actually, it made me wonder, and it's been awhile since I had she-crab. I know the recipe calls for roe. But do they actually use it in those restaurants? I know they charge enough for that soup, but just wondering if they legally have to use the roe in order to call it she-crab...or if they're legally allowed to. Maybe it depends on the state you eat the soup in. I know that here in Jersey you wouldn't be allowed to. I wonder about Maryland. blue-crab.org is a great site for all things crabworthy (restaurants included). I honestly never noticed, because truthfully I wasn't into crabbing back then.

TJ Jackson

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sun, 01/16/05 11:19 AM (permalink)
                    Just the thought of eating roe or caviar makes me a bit queasy. I guess you could say i was blissfully ignorant as i enjoyed those two servings of the soup. No idea if they actually had roe in them, because had I known it, I never would have ordered it.....no idea if they are required to disclose, either...

lamertz

• Total Posts: 290
                      RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sun, 01/16/05 8:12 PM (permalink)
                      Must be soup night--Sunday?? I had an excellant she crab soup here in the low country of South Carolina. Pawleys Island has a nice place here called Louie's Fish Camp where a really good she crab soup is served. I don't know about the roe--I kind of doubt that many restaurants use it,but I'll ask. Could there be any thing better than creamy crab soup??

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                        RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sun, 01/16/05 9:41 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by oldfrt

Love the stuff and best I ever had was out East. I used to work in Annapolis MD (the home for Blue Crabs) and a few of us used to go to lunch at a Restaurant maybe called the Chesapeak Inn. Been many years so I don't even remember if that was the name or if they are still there anymore. If I remember correctly you went East out of Annapolis, maybe Hwy 50, and before you got to the Bridge it was there.

This was not a FF place. Big bowls of very creamy, homemade, soup with big pieces of Blue Crab in it. They also had a pouring bottle of Sherry on the table which you "annointed" your soup with! Great with a appetiser platter of cold shrimp smothered in Old Bay seasoning and a Martini!

Miss that!

Don

I know the place you are talking about. You had to get off 50 on an access road to get to it. I can't remember the full name either (senior moment!) When you came in there was a central foyer with dining rooms going off of it. I ate there many times over the years. Last time was with my brother & his wife. I had the stuffed rockfish, my god it was wonderful but sooo huge I brought home enough for dinner the next day! Unfortunately they closed down a few years ago and the building was torn down.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                          RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 01/17/05 1:15 AM (permalink)
                          I think it was called Busch's Chesapeake Inn. I ate there in 1968 as a 15 year old.
                          I remember it so vividly because RFK had been asassinated and the funeral was happening at the time we were visiting my Sister, the only time I've ever visited DC
                          She took us to Annapolis and we ate lunch there. the sign had a big lobster on top?
                          ....and Shayna's mom, you can start a thread anytime. This one's a fine kickoff.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                            RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 01/17/05 8:38 AM (permalink)
                            A lot of places substitute hard boiled egg yolks for crab roe,as it dont affect the taste its there for the color.

ocdreamr

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 01/17/05 12:28 PM (permalink)
                              Bill
                              That's it!! I really miss it You were always made to feel welcome wether you came in dressed to the nines or stopped after a day at the beach!!

oldfrt

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 01/17/05 2:04 PM (permalink)
                                Bill, also agree, that is the place I was mentioning in my response. I lived in Annapolis for about 3 years, I think the mid 70's. Back then you could get a fresh bushel of Blue Crabs (alive) for about $14. Steamed Blues with Old Bay seasoning, corn on the cob, boiled potatoes, melted butter and lots of cold beer! Paradise!

Soft shell crab sandwiches were also a favorite. I remember a bar on South River that had them for lunch.

Don

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                  RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 01/17/05 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                  Do not cut corners. She Crab Soup is called that for that reason. You need the roe. Sherry should be added as a side, per taste.

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                                    RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 01/17/05 4:05 PM (permalink)

Linda fixed a wonderful crab dish on Christmas Eve, which used lump backfin crab meat that was picked by the most careful crab-picker we've ever come across (no shell or cartilage AT ALL). It was mixed with a "white sauce" mixed with some cheddar cheese. Thicker consistency than you would have with a soup; it makes a great dip.

Catherine:

Soft shell crabs are the ones that have "molted," or just lost their hard shell. The favorite ones tend to be the youngest, smaller ones, about silver dollar size. Tender and tasty when fried with a light batter!

Frank

oldfrt

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Mon, 01/17/05 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                      Peachpie - The hard shell ones you whacked with a little wood hammer and extracted the meat from inside and dipped in some butter which, combined with the Old Bay seasoning, led to a flavor you cannot beat! The young softshell ones, like Frank said, discarded the hard shell and the soft one, plus the crab meat, was totally AWESOME on a sandwich. They were deep fried and served on toasted bread and you gotta love em! They were larger than "dollar Size" and fit on a bread slice with the legs hanging out of it! Great!

Ahhh!

Don

harriet1954

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Thu, 01/20/05 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Peachpie9

quote:

Peachpie - The hard shell ones you whacked with a little wood hammer and extracted the meat from inside and dipped in some butter which, combined with the Old Bay seasoning, led to a flavor you cannot beat! The young softshell ones, like Frank said, discarded the hard shell and the soft one, plus the crab meat, was totally AWESOME on a sandwich. They were deep fried and served on toasted bread and you gotta love em! They were larger than "dollar Size" and fit on a bread slice with the legs hanging out of it! Great!

Ahhh!

Don

FCBaldwin and Oldfrt:

Thanks for the information. I am going to have so much fun when I come East and see and sample all these things! Eating a sandwich with legs hanging out of it will be a Fear Factor thing for me, but if you say it's good, when the time comes I will try it.

Thanks! Catherine

Oh, no, no Catherine, it's not Fear Factor-ish at all! It's heavenly! Trust me, it doesn't take much to make me squeamish/nauseated. Soft-shell, oh mannnnnn, it's just wonderful. I don't care how much they charge. Keep in mind that blue crabs are only in season from late May to October. You just have to...

Oh, and cream of crab soup, too! Blue crabs are so different, so tasty. Anything from them is great. I miss the rustling from the backseat of my car after we've gone crabbing in Ocean County; those crabbies trying to escape their styrofoam prison.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
                                          RE: Cream of Crab Soup Thu, 01/20/05 12:25 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Ahhh!

Don

I always had to turn them around and eat the crab sandwiches from the back. I couldn't stand looking at the eyes.

oldfrt

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Thu, 01/20/05 7:53 PM (permalink)
                                            Talk about feelin sorry for the crabs (for about a minute) is when you ge the big blue porcelain pot on the stove, about two inches of water boiling, and try and dump in a half a bushel of live Blue's in there! For obvious reasons, they do not like the hot water and make a "bee line" for the top of the pot. You got about 5 seconds to dump in the Old Bay and slam the lid on!

The first time I made them we had about a half dozen that got out and scrambling around the kitchen floor. The beer helped in the "roundup". (For us, not the crabs).

Also miss the annual Clam fest, downtown Annapolis. Wonder if it still goes on? Fresh longneck steamed clams, corn on the cob, potatoes, melted butter, beer (of course) and a lot of very happy people!

Don

ocdreamr

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Thu, 01/20/05 8:02 PM (permalink)
                                              I don't believe it is held any longer. I do remember going to it back in the early 70's, it was held right down at the main city dock area but I haven't seen any notices for it lately. I believe it has been replaced by the Seafood Festival that is held every September at Sandy Point State Park. Then there's the big crab feast held every year at the marine corps stadium.

oldfrt

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Thu, 01/20/05 8:11 PM (permalink)
                                                Thanks ocdreamr!

Well I found one source for Maryland Blues and also oysters which I love from there. Also, clams! Gonna blow my IRS refund on some soon. Here is the link!

http://lintonsseafood.safeshopper.com/35/cat35.htm?674

I can get a half bushel of those "lovelies" overnight for $99. (Crabs)

Don

harriet1954

• Location: Edgewater Park, NJ
                                                  RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/22/05 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Peachpie9

S's Mom:

I absolutely am going to do it!

Are you too far from the ocean now to go crabbing? Why have you stopped doing it?

Catherine

Oh, I haven't stopped. It's something you do when it's hot out. It's real seasonal. It doesn't take long to get where we like to go, about an hour and fifteen minutes, and it's not even really the ocean - it's in Barnegat Bay. There's a barrier island between that bay and the ocean, but it's great. For the past two summers, either my daughter won't get up that early, or the crabs have been way too small to keep, or just not running at all. The summer before last was very bad for crabbing unless you're a commercial crabber. And even then...

oldfrt

RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 01/22/05 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    I remember sitting on a friends dock that stuck out into the Bay maybe 20 or 30 feet and a couple of us would take a length of string and tie a chicken neck on one end. We would lower the neck into the water and let it sink to the bottom. We would leave it there for maybe 10 or 15 minutes and very slowly begin to raise the line. If a crab found the neck it would be hanging onto it but once it neared the surface the crab would let go and float back down to the bottom. Trick was we always had a net with a long handle on it and while one person was pulling the line in, another person, would manouver the net to be under the lunching crab, or crabs. You had to do that as soon as you see the other end of the line as it is coming up. If all works correctly you can catch the crab(s) as they let go with the net.

Not a way to fill a bushel basket but nice way to pass some time on a hot summer day.

Don

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                                      RE: Cream of Crab Soup Wed, 02/9/05 11:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      I'll just file this here, but I understand from reading the earlier posts that She Crab Soup, which want to post about, is different from C of C Soup. But, I did have She Crab soup last night for the fiirst time. I expected a "thin" soup, and it was really more of a bisque, which I dearly love. I had this at the Dockside Inn in VA Beach and it was heavenly.
                                                      Few years ago I had the best Lobster Bisque I have ever tasted at a great little place north of Pittsburgh called The Saxonburg Inn. That's about all there was in the town of Saxonburg, PA but I havenever had a bisque to compare with that until last night.
                                                      BTW, a bit of roadfood trivia....The only thing famous ever to come out of Saxonburg was the designer ( don't remember his name) of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Mr.Pig

• Total Posts: 35
                                                        RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 03/19/05 10:36 AM (permalink)

Originally posted by Pancho

Do not cut corners. She Crab Soup is called that for that reason. You need the roe. Sherry should be added as a side, per taste.

You are quite correct. In Charleston, SC the she crab soup is fantastic. I'm not sure they all use roe, but you won't be disappointed.

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
                                                          • Location: Putnam, CT
                                                          RE: Cream of Crab Soup Sat, 03/19/05 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Ahhh!

Don

I always had to turn them around and eat the crab sandwiches from the back. I couldn't stand looking at the eyes.

When I had the fish market, I (when requested) always cleaned the soft-shells for my customers. Part of the cleaning was to thinly slice off the eye portion, thus the eater would not have to look them in the eye. Ah, can't wait for the season to begin, to fry up several in butter, for lunch, with just a little Old Bay for added flavor. m-m-m-m-m!

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                            • Location: Jackson, MS
                                                            RE: Cream of Crab Soup Tue, 07/12/05 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                            Hello Carlton Pierre. I don't know about the Dockside Inn, but I just got back from VA Beach where I had the best she crab soup I've ever eaten at a place called Charley's on Shore Drive. She crab is sometimes so rich I can't eat anything else, but this was just right.. I polished off a full plate of fried shrimp also. Eating at VA Beach is such a treat... so many really good places, and we were lucky enough to hook up with some locals who directed us to several places back off the beach and not "touristy", just great food.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com