Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED

Author
Rex
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
2004/03/17 13:26:08 (permalink)

Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED

Hey all,

I have one container of mushrooms left over and I wanted to make a basic cream of mushroom soup. As usual checked the net and all I am seeing is exotic recipes. I just need something basic easy and simple. Any help as usual would be appreciated. Thanks gang

24 Replies Related Threads

Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/17 13:32:17 (permalink)
    Doesn't get more basic than this. Try it with a dash of Tabasco, if you like:

1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 cup warm chicken broth
    1 1/2 cups milk
    Chopped parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Chop fresh mushrooms.
    Melt butter into a casserole.
    Lightly brown chopped mushrooms and onion in melted butter.
    Stir in flour, then warm chicken broth.
    Simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
    Puree into a blender.
    Pour mixture back into casserole.
    Stir in milk and chopped parsley, salt & pepper.
    Simmer for 4 minutes.
    Serve, decorated with whole fresh mushrooms.
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/17 13:39:43 (permalink)
    Excellent post Grampy...just what the old doc ordered. You have saved the day. Many thanks to you.
    Grampy
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/17 13:44:05 (permalink)
    You are most welcome! If you get adventurous, this is my favorite mushroom soup recipe in the world. Be warned, it is not simple: http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2002/january/mushroomlovers3.html
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/17 13:49:43 (permalink)
    Yes I saw quite a few mushroom soup recipes with those ingredients...particularly the porcini's and sherry ingredients.

I do believe in the KISS principal when doing just about everything.

But sounds excellent. Would be curious to know what kind of flavor the sherry yields
    Grampy
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/17 13:59:57 (permalink)
    The mushroom sherry gives it a tart undertone that complements (and compliments) the creaminess of the soup. The recipe is impressive, especially if you want to wow a vegetarian. BTW, The Mushroom Lover's Mushroom Cookbook and Primer by Amy Farges, Christopher Styler is a must for mycophiles.
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/17 15:05:27 (permalink)
    I have never been a big fan of the mushroom. I like them, don't get me wrong. But most of my life if they were not sauteed I would not eat them. Raw? You would have to beat me!

But as I get older and seem to do more and more of my own cooking I am going in the direction of more ways to use mushrooms. But I still have a hard time with uncooked ones. How people can stand around and just bite into one with the dirt and all on them still...I'll never know..it just don't look appetising.

But there are foods that without them...they don't taste right. So they do have that special something.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 06:49:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rex

I have never been a big fan of the mushroom. I like them, don't get me wrong. But most of my life if they were not sauteed I would not eat them. Raw? You would have to beat me!

But as I get older and seem to do more and more of my own cooking I am going in the direction of more ways to use mushrooms. But I still have a hard time with uncooked ones. How people can stand around and just bite into one with the dirt and all on them still...I'll never know..it just don't look appetising.

But there are foods that without them...they don't taste right. So they do have that special something.

Particularly the "and all" that's on them.
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 07:16:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rex

I will only eat mushrooms raw if they are:

1. VERY FRESH AND UNBLEMISHED
    2. Slice almost wafer thin and tossed in with a lot of other vegetables in salads with a zesty dressing.

To clean mushrooms, take some paper towels and wipe them clean and cut off the stalks. Never wash them.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 12:48:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jellybeans

quote:
    Originally posted by Rex

I will only eat mushrooms raw if they are:

1. VERY FRESH AND UNBLEMISHED
    2. Slice almost wafer thin and tossed in with a lot of other vegetables in salads with a zesty dressing.

To clean mushrooms, take some paper towels and wipe them clean and cut off the stalks. Never wash them.

The rule of never washing mushrooms is an old chef's tale. There is no truth or reason to it whatsoever. A fresh mushroom is 98% water anyway. They will not sponge up any more. This is very easy to prove and has been proven. Soak them as much as you want.

Cakes
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 12:58:14 (permalink)
    I disagree. Never washed a mushroom, except fresh morels, in my life. The white mushrooms we buy in 10# boxes for the restaurant are already clean. When I buy them at the market I wipe any dirt off with a wet paper towel. I suppose if you were going to puree them into a soup it wouldn't matter but if you want nice fresh slices of mushroom in a salad, I would not soak them. They're like little sponges.
    Grampy
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 13:15:05 (permalink)
    I agree -- with the disagree, that is. Mushrooms take on a different texture after they are wet. I find that they are more difficult to slice, and they don't sauté as well.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 13:25:05 (permalink)
    grampy, you are right. And do not ever, ever wash or soak a boletus edibus, chanterelle, shiitake, oyster, hen-of-the-woods or trumpet mushroom. They turn into pure mush. BTW, the Fin de Siecle mushroom soup is very similar to one I used to make in the fall at the restaurant.......all those good wild mushrooms out in the woods....yum.
    Grampy
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 13:38:01 (permalink)
    Speaking of the wild, has anyone tasted a matsutake mushroom? At $100+ per pound, they are out of my price range.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 13:45:02 (permalink)
    Yes, I have bought matsutake mushrooms for the restaurant when they are in the $100/lb. range. Very delectable mushroom. In the off season they can get to above $400/lb. which is still a bargain compared to truffles.....especially fresh ones.
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 21:56:45 (permalink)
    Well I still need to know what makes the cream in the "cream of mushroom soup"? In the recipe you give Grampy is there any cream to it or if there is what makes it? I am going to try this recipe tomorrow
    Grampy
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 22:05:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rex

Well I still need to know what makes the cream in the "cream of mushroom soup"? In the recipe you give Grampy is there any cream to it or if there is what makes it? I am going to try this recipe tomorrow

Think creamy, not necessarily cream. It's the emulsion that makes it such. Cream can always be added instead of milk, but the idea is that the soup is "creamy" -- that is to say rich and smooth. True, many a soup is made with cream, but it will not work unless the ingredients are already well incorporated.
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/18 22:26:18 (permalink)
    yes, I was in the grocery store today looking at heavy cream...or more accurately looking for heavy cream. I saw heavy whipoping cream...is that the same thing? I know that some of the recipes that I saw had mentioned using heavy cream. And I am trying to make cream of mushroom, cream of potato & cream of broccoli. Those are the 3 soups I am interested in right now. But I will be making the cream of mushroom tomorrow
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/19 11:52:24 (permalink)
    I must be on some kind of drugs.....or something. When I posted the question about the cream in cream of soup...I would have sworn I saw no milk in that recipe...and now that I am making it...there it is. Sorry if you got the impression of me being some sort of idiot.....but at the time I made the post asking that question...I didn't see it...and I had written it down already. Just goes to show how severe brain cramps can actually be. My apologies to everyone who read that and thought..."This guy is a moron".
    Grampy
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/19 12:01:24 (permalink)
    Whipping cream, aka light whipping cream, has 30-36% milkfat. Heavy cream, aka heavy whipping cream, has 36-40% milkfat. Check the container for specs.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/19 12:39:22 (permalink)
    Geeze, throw some heavy cream in there........people used to ask me at the restaurant, "Why does it taste better here than at home?" My reply was always: More Butter, More Cream, More Wine, More Cognac. The Four Commandments of a French chef. Voila. I continually have cream in the fridge.....beurre blanc sauces, chowder, soups, etc.
    Grampy
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/19 12:44:02 (permalink)
    I was all set to make spaghetti carbonara last night, when I learned that my wife took the heavy cream to work without telling me. Fortunately, we had crème fraîche. Since it was too thick, I added a little milk and an extra egg yoke. The pasta was fabulous.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/19 12:54:53 (permalink)
    What was your wife doing with heavy cream at work???
    I love creamy pasta dishes.....carbonara, alfredo, etc. At the restaurant we used to call them Heart Attack On A Plate.
    Rex
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/19 13:07:08 (permalink)
    So is it safe to say that you can replace the regular milk with cream? If so what would be the ratio of exchange? I have never cooked using cream before.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe NEEDED 2004/03/19 16:17:34 (permalink)
    cut the amount of milk in half if using cream.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1