Creamed Chipped Beef

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
jimcfs1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/20 23:14:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by doggydaddy

As a navy cook, that recipe card gave me a real flashback. I was on a small ship with about a crew of 80. I loved the fact that we would just cook the same amount as the card said and always have some food left for Mid-rats.
We did not use chipped beef, but ground beef was the norm. We also made something called 'minced beef' for breakfast. That recipe was made with canned tomato sauce instead of milk.

mark

My father was in the navy in the 50s (Korean War). He must have eaten the regular SOS and what you called "minced beef", though I've never heard it called that. As a child, I can remember my mom making the "minced beef" version occasionally for breakfast. I prefer the creamed chipped beef version much better, especially served over rye toast.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6195
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/21 08:07:13 (permalink)
Hi,

We never had chipped beef in our house,growing up in the 50's...dad wouldn't allow it. Dad wasn't fusy about anything mom made,and ate evrything,but he drew the line with chipped beef. Said he had enough sos in the navy!!
It wasn,t 'til I was in the Army myself, that I got to try it...and like it. Don't see it around much..but if I'm at a breakfast buffet and it's there,I'll enjoy a rare dish! Sorry dad!
leethebard
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/21 08:12:52 (permalink)
Stouffers makes a decent creamed chipped beef.Look in the frozen entree section at your grocery store.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/21 12:10:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Stouffers makes a decent creamed chipped beef.Look in the frozen entree section at your grocery store.

I agree Stouffers is great quality/taste. I keep a few in the freezer. I can not find it in any diner in N Jersey-what a shame-I would go out to breakfast more often.
SoulOnFire
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/22 19:07:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mikez629

quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

I agree Stouffers is great quality/taste. I keep a few in the freezer. I can not find it in any diner in N Jersey-what a shame-I would go out to breakfast more often.

Town and Country Diner on Route 130 North in Bordentown. The SOS is rather good there.
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/22 21:14:29 (permalink)
Woo hoooo! The dried chipped beef available at S. Clyde Weaver's meats in Lancaster, PA freezes just fine! I called today to ask. I plan to bring home a cooler full when I go up in late March. Woo hooo!
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/22 21:19:14 (permalink)
Hey I stayed at Lackland! Probably ate some Creamed Chipped Beef there too... maybe.

I'm surprised no one in this thread mentioned Memphis! (And that's only because every single time I hear "Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast" I then hear John Hiatt singing in my head the great tune "Memphis in the Meantime", where he sings about someone "coming back" as creamed chipped beef on toast... very funny song!!!)

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10102
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/22 22:33:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tcrouzer

Woo hoooo! The dried chipped beef available at S. Clyde Weaver's meats in Lancaster, PA freezes just fine! I called today to ask. I plan to bring home a cooler full when I go up in late March. Woo hooo!

I checked out their web site http://www.sclydeweaver.com/welcome.html
A little pricey but you get what you pay for!
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/28 17:08:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rapunzll

quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

Does anyone know who makes the beef for Chipped Beef besides those little jars that Armour sells??
Or how can you make it at home??

We always used the small plastic packets of beef that hang up in the coolers at the store. They are flat and only hold a couple of ounces of meat, but a few packs works well.

I looked it up and we used this brand: http://www.buddig.com/aboutus.html
Here's Buddig's recipe:

Buddig Chipped Beef on Toast

Ingredients
• 1/4 cup butter or margarine
• 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cup water
• 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon
• 3 packages (2 oz. each) Buddig Sliced Beef, chopped
• Toasted bread

Directions
Melt butter in medium size saucepan. Sauté green onion 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in flour, mustard and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and water; add instant bouillon. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Boil and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in chopped meat; heat through. Serve over toast.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Calories per serving (1/4th of recipe) 230; Calories from Fat 144; Total Fat 16g; Saturated Fat 9g; Cholesterol 63mg; Sodium 1188mg; Total Carbohydrate 10g; Dietary Fiber 0g; Protein 12g PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 10 minutes Makes 4 servings
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/01/28 17:12:22 (permalink)
Good job RickF. Sounds like gourmet to me. When I was in the Air Force, they never served anything like that. It was good though. It must have been as they had it for breakfast every morning.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/06 11:45:08 (permalink)
I just had great creamed chipped beef at a place in NE Philly called Nifty Fifties(there are 2 locations)-50's theamed place-burgers.dogs,chicken nuggets-all made fresh. French fries cut fresh. Old style soda fountian-had vanilla mt.dew-good. They have a filet minon sandwich-good. www.niftyfifties.com
ChicagoIrish
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/15 16:16:14 (permalink)
For any that are interested, Paterson's canned sausage gravy and chipped beef gravy are both available online at www.shopfoodex.com Have no clue about how the prices stack up, but it's there. By the way I love chipped beef and it has been my standard "birthday meal" for years...even if I have to make it myself. (Which if I do, I use saved bacon grease for the roux)
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/15 16:19:44 (permalink)
I just make a medium white sauce, add some chopped dried beef, a dash of garlic powder, simmer a few minutes. Done. It might not be the best but I've never had any complaints.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/15 16:28:38 (permalink)
Any breakfast chains out there have SOS on the menu. Never seen it or I'd order it for old time sake???
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/15 16:45:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Any breakfast chains out there have SOS on the menu. Never seen it or I'd order it for old time sake???

A store called Perkins used to have it on the menu.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/15 16:50:58 (permalink)
Hi, the Perkins Pancake House chain????
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/15 17:03:23 (permalink)

S.O.S.

The morning sunshine to every marine
By M/Sgt Dick Mangum USMC (Ret)

It's said that an Army fights well on a full stomach and the Marine Corps is no exception. Always and foremost, in training or in combat, the breakfast meal is number one. For every "grunt", "airedale" and/or "pinky" at the start of the workday. Breakfast is the link to "making it" that day, and "a breakfast without SOS is like a day without sunshine."

We can only imagine or guess at what the meals and types of food were being served at Tunn's, or with O'Bannon in Tripoli, but I'll bet you, they had some sort of S.O.S.

The original creamed ground beef now served at every Marine breakfast had many stories of origin, the story that I was told was, that it was first served during World War I in France.

The Marine forces on the line were served meals that were prepared by the Army, from field kitchens in the rear. On this one occasion during a battle, the Marines moved so fast forward that the Army Mess Company couldn't keep up with the advancement. on that particular evening the cooks had prepared a meal which was roasted beef with a cream gravy (Boeuf le Creme de Argonne) and sent it up to the front lines.

It took the mess men all night to find the location of the fast moving Marine Brigade, and the meal was not delivered until the next morning.

Not wanting to waste the food and not having the tools to serve it properly, the Marine First Sgt. ordered that the meat and gravy (sauce) be placed on the dry bread and handed to each man. The men being very hungry did not complain but instead requested that this meal be served again, but with the proper utensils.

Over the following years the recipe changed depending on the availability of supplies and the mood of the cook. Do to the lack of funds given to the Marine Corps by the Navy, especially in hard times (like now), many of the cooks could not afford to purchase the beef roasts needed in the recipes for "Boeuf le Creme de Argonne" and other beef dishes. They therefore substituted, the less expensive, ground beef in place of the roasts.

This was quite popular as an evening meal and was served a number of times a week. One big advantage that the cooks liked was that there was little or no waste, leftovers could be served the next morning. It grew in popularity more for breakfast than for the evening meal and today it's never served other than for breakfast.

The other branches of service (Army, Navy, etc.) will also serve their version of SOS, but they haven't mastered the Marine's technique of preparing this marvelous breakfast presentation.

The Army uses chipped and salted dried beef (yuk), and the Navy uses beans and tomatoes in their recipe (barf !), the Air Force gave up trying and our friends in the Coast Guard now eat breakfast in the nearest Marine mess hall.

A number of years ago (back in the 70’s), San Francisco's own Marine Artillery General (Brigadier) Tiago, requested/ordered that a recipe for the Marine Corps famous S.O.S. (creamed beef on toast) be developed so that it could be serve to a small group of about eight (8) persons, this way the general could have his wife make it at home. The official recipe for the mess halls is for serving 300 or more. This challenge was taken up by his chief field artillery cook, M/Sgt Bernie Parker. After many tries and a few mistakes "Top" Parker came up with the following, near perfect, recipe.

Recipe for "Marine Breakfast"

(Serves 8 or two hungry Marines)

1/2 lb. Ground Beef (ground chuck for flavor)

1 tbs. Bacon fat (lard/Crisco or butter)

3 tbs. Flour

2 cups Whole milk (add more milk if you want it thinner)

1/8 tsp. Salt

Pepper (to taste)

8 slices of dry toast

Using a large skillet (12”#8209;14"), crumble and brown the ground beef with the fat and salt, remove the pan from the heat and let cool slightly.

Mix in the flour until all of the meat is covered, using all of the flour.

Replace the skillet on the heat and stir in the milk, keep stirring until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens (boil a minimum of 1 minute).

Serve over the toast. Salt & pepper to taste.

“Semper fi”
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/22 16:03:38 (permalink)
Navy Submarine Veteran here....We had SOS all the time for breakfast and "mid rats". And sometines we had it with GROUND beef instead of chipped. But now it is on many a buffet here in the Western PA area.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/25 12:39:49 (permalink)
I was watching Diner,Drive ins and Dives this weekend and saw Creamed Chipped Beef on a great diner in Philly (Dining Car)-so I had to go and make it my self this weekend-it was good.
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/25 13:09:18 (permalink)
quote:

Golden Corral (in Prescott, AZ) has it on their weekend breakfast buffet. A little thin, but still good.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/25 13:32:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lynndunham

quote:

Golden Corral (in Prescott, AZ) has it on their weekend breakfast buffet. A little thin, but still good.

You should check out the chain resturant form-good one going!
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/25 13:34:25 (permalink)
Yeah Kenny I didn't like when they gave us the fake SOS made with ground beef either.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/25 13:40:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny da Fat Man

Navy Submarine Veteran here....We had SOS all the time for breakfast and "mid rats". And sometines we had it with GROUND beef instead of chipped. But now it is on many a buffet here in the Western PA area.

What are "Mid Rats"??
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/25 13:46:38 (permalink)
My BF and I were talking about this thread Friday and I asked him he would like to have this Saturday morning for breakfast. He said we'll talk about Saturday when it gets here how about tonight!? Dinner served.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/27 17:58:53 (permalink)
I just had a Creamed Chipped Beef Breakfast at Harlow's Cafe in Tempe, AZ. It's On University Dr-at Hardy Dr, near ASU. It was excellent. A good White Sauce loaded with Very good Chipped Beef on whole wheat toast. there's so much meat in there that they give you a Steak Knife to cut it! Served with from scratch home fries. I ordered 2 eggs over easy and put them on top of the pile. Doesn't get any better than that.
If you're in the Phoenix-Scottsdale-Tempe, or other Valley of the Sun communities, I suggest you give it a try. They also serve other great breakfast items as well. REAL ROADFOOD COOKIN" (And the College Coed Waitresses ain't bad lookin' either!)
Holly Moore
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/27 18:47:41 (permalink)
Semi-military. We got it once a week at Admiral Farragut Academy in the early 60's. One of those dishes that if you liked SOS you could have seconds and thirds because so many around the table hated it. Scrapple was another.

There was a place on S. Broad Street in Philadelphia that served chipped beef on pancakes or waffles (real, not Belgium). Chipped beef on waffles are great.

The Commissary, also in Philadelphia, long gone, once did chipped beef with a cheddar and onion based cream sauce. Outstanding.

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/27 18:52:56 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

What are "Mid Rats"??
food prepared in the galley for sailors working the Midnight watch........ which aboard a sub is usually 50% of the crew. ................. Mid Rats = Midnight Rations
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/28 01:26:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:

quote:

What are "Mid Rats"??
food prepared in the galley for sailors working the Midnight watch........ which aboard a sub is usually 50% of the crew. ................. Mid Rats = Midnight Rations

THANX Sizz!
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/28 04:51:29 (permalink)
quote:

What are "Mid Rats"??
Medium sized rats that the Navy serves up fried, roasted and pickled due to clamorous demands from their enlisted personnel.

Frank (Sizz) is BSing you. Don't believe him.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/28 10:43:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Holly Moore

quote:
Semi-military. We got it once a week at Admiral Farragut Academy in the early 60's. One of those dishes that if you liked SOS you could have seconds and thirds because so many around the table hated it. Scrapple was another.

There was a place on S. Broad Street in Philadelphia that served chipped beef on pancakes or waffles (real, not Belgium). Chipped beef on waffles are great.

The Commissary, also in Philadelphia, long gone, once did chipped beef with a cheddar and onion based cream sauce. Outstanding.

quote:
That wasn't the case in the real military, at least on my duty stations. Being an old stew burner we use to serve it on a rare occasion, due to the cost. But when we did serve it our morning breakfast rats almost doubled. Chow Jim
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1