Creamed Chipped Beef

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/02/28 11:41:57 (permalink)
I saw the dried beef in a jar the other day at Big Lots that my mom used to make SOS with. I haven't seen it in years.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/08/30 20:48:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Stouffers makes a decent creamed chipped beef.Look in the frozen entree section at your grocery store.

I've been eating the occasional Stouffers SOS for a very long time. The kids' daddy like it once in a while too. He came down last night looking for one, he had a hankering. We didn't have any but I did have a couple of jars of dried beef stashed away, and so I made SOS for the first time ever and it was FABULOUS!!

I used about 2/3 butter and 1/3 bacon grease for the roux, and added some onion powder, a few shakes of Tabasco and lots of fresh ground pepper. All three of the kids who were home last night asked what it was and said "eeeuuuuwwwww!!!" and then tasted it and all ended up having some, they loved it!

I don't think I'll be buying Stouffers again, it seems like it didn't take much longer to make it from scratch than it did to microwave a package and it was so much better!
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/08/30 23:40:41 (permalink)
We were not to well off when i was a kid. My mom always made a big deal of saying it was her very favorite! When times were tougher she pimped us up to were we loved bread and gravy. She made a brown kitchen boquet gravy and served it over plain white bread. i liked it enough to have seconds.
sundancer, I pulled kp many X in basic. They had a rotating drum with abrasive on the sides. Add water and close the lid and away we go. I missed the world famous spud detail.
britt
I didnt get to Lackland till 71. In all my times in AF mess halls the sos was hamburger in white gravy not chipped beef.
britt
emmymom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 02:03:04 (permalink)
The last time I ordered creamed chipped beef in a restaurant (a local "Australian" joint) it came as a white sauce on toast with a dozen or so miniscule flecks of chipped beef in it (each about the size of the period in this sentence.) Am I wrong? I assume when I order creamed chipped beef there will actually be some chipped beef in it! Enjoyed the pictures and they look much better than what I experienced.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3997
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 07:03:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Stouffers makes a decent creamed chipped beef.Look in the frozen entree section at your grocery store.

And it used to be very good. But lately, the top must have fallen off Stouffers' salt shaker. The last two times I tried their creamed chipped beef it was so brackish as to be inedible. Recently, I had the same experience with my all-time favorite of theirs: stuffed green peppers.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 07:15:20 (permalink)
I'd scratch that Austrailian joint off your list.
Sounds like you got hosed there, "WHERES THE BEEF" Chow Jim
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 07:17:55 (permalink)
Breakfast is served
Armour dried beef, Pillsbury frozen buttermilk biscuits, home made shredded hash browns, poached egg.

As mentioned elsewhere, it works very well and inexpensively with Carl Buddig's sliced beef as a substitution.

mark
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6195
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 07:58:29 (permalink)
Looks very good...great quick idea!!!
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 09:08:17 (permalink)
Fixed homemade cream chipped beef on toast this morning as I found a couple of lost packages of PA Dutch dried beef in the freezer. This was bought in Lancaster PA last spring and is a bit more salty than Carl Buddig's. It is also drier in texture and crumbles to fine bits. Some butter in the skillet, some flour added in and cooked a minute, 1 cup milk, then the beef shredded by hand and added. All it needed was some freshly ground pepper - no more salt as there is enough in the beef. Served over homemade 10 grain bread, it was an extra good comfort food breakfast!

I bought three pounds of the dried beef when I was up to Lancaster last spring. Brought it home and divided up into small packages to freeze. I'll probably do the same again next spring. I had called S. Clyde Weaver meats to make sure it would freeze all right before I bought that much.
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 09:42:49 (permalink)
It's sure a small world because I'm making creamed chipped beef this morning with dried beef I bought yesterday from the S. Clyde Weaver booth at the Firgrounds Market in Allentown PA. I'm waiting for a couple of strips of bacon (also from there) to fry for grease to make "raw fried" potatoes.

FUI, Weaver sells three kinds of dried beef - sliced dried beef, chipped dried beef and chipped dried beef loaf. Armour and Buddig are the loaf style, where the dried beef is flaked and formed into a loaf like bologna and then sliced. If you like that style, buy the chipped loaf.

Their regular dried beef is sliced off a big hunk of cured beef. It freezes better and is much less salty but doesn't have quite the same taste and texture of the dried beef gravy most places serve.

ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 970
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 10:56:05 (permalink)
When I was a kid, in the 50's, creamed dried beef was a dinner, served over homemade waffles.
sftreat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 12:16:46 (permalink)
My dad, a WWII vet always made it on sunday mornings. His secret ingredient was Lea & Perrins worcesterhire sauce. Oh, and lots of freshly ground pepper.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6195
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 14:24:53 (permalink)
And as I've stated on other posts,my dad,a navy vet of WWII, wouldn't allow my mom to make SOS,...he said he had enough during the war...so growing up I was deprived of this great breakfast dish!!!
jimcfs1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 19:04:47 (permalink)
I made some SOS this morning also... with dried beef (Kraus I think... WM has started to carry it and EssKay brands) and frozen biscuits. It must have been good since my 7 year old son asked for seconds!!

I grew up on the stuff as a treat. My dad was in the navy during the Korean War and my mom used to fix it once in a while for him. She also used to do a "red" SOS with ground beef and tomato sauce. I still prefer the "white" version better... and on rye toast. White toast or biscuits are just ok.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 19:36:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

Does anyone know who makes the beef for Chipped Beef besides those little jars that Armour sells??

Thats the kind my mom used to buy for my dad in the 60's-70's...
I used to pick a couple pieces out before she mixed it with the gravy. Just let it sit on my tongue till it got soft....
Dry and salty.. but I loved it.
Now, I cant handle too much salt at all....
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/07 19:57:14 (permalink)
I buy it dried beef at the farmers' markets but if I have to use a packaged one, I like Alderfer. Here's a link to their website. I don't like the Knauss creamed chipped beef shown there.

http://www.alderfermeats.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=4&Itemid=79

Dietrich's Meats also makes a very good dried beef. You can't order on-line but can call them during store hours to get prices, shipping costs, etc. on a large variety of smoked products.

http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/index.htm

Dietrich's is also the place that makes all types of pickled items (pickled pheasant hearts, etc.) I showed in this trip report.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28526

Note: order before deer season because they usually stop shipping then due to butchering and smoking venison jerky for hunters.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/08 15:38:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats I'd scratch that Austrailian joint off your list.
I've had creamed chipped mutton, so I'd say leave the Australian joint on.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/08 17:25:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by doggydaddy

Breakfast is served
Armour dried beef, Pillsbury frozen buttermilk biscuits, home made shredded hash browns, poached egg.

As mentioned elsewhere, it works very well and inexpensively with Carl Buddig's sliced beef as a substitution.

mark

A breakfast fit for a king
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/08 17:29:09 (permalink)
While I like Stouffers for a quick fix, gotta admit the sodium content is high.I have made my own using Buddigs meats and a white sauce.Good stuff!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10093
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/09 00:00:25 (permalink)
[xx(
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:

BU Mitch,
Love you like a Brother, but that's the most discusting thing I've ever heard of outside of creamed chipped squid on toast. I gagged when I read your post!
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/09 00:07:23 (permalink)
I quit eating SOS when I got a real job years ago...it's all just a blur now.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/09 12:54:15 (permalink)
quote:
quote:
quote:
BU Mitch,
Love you like a Brother, but that's the most discusting thing I've ever heard of outside of creamed chipped squid on toast. I gagged when I read your post!
Mutton's just another meat, and very common in Australia, where I was at the time, so why is that disgusting? Squid? Love that, too, but never had it creamed and chipped on toast, so I couldn't comment on that part.
monkibonz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/19 21:33:33 (permalink)
I make it the way my mom always did. Cut up the package of chipped beef, fry it a little bit in melted butter. Then add the flour to the pan and mix with the beef and butter. Add your milk and fresh cracked black pepper. No lumps and the fried meat adds a nice depth from the carmalization. Yummy!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/19 21:51:49 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

BU Mitch,
Here in New England it was common not that long ago to have creamed dryed cod over biscuits for breakfast, damn decent.
Also as a former Navy cook when we served REAL creamed chip beef on toast we had a long line on the galley deck, everybody turned out.
We also got a good turn out for a spicey tomato and ground beef mixture for breakfast rats. Could never figure out that one, but it was good. Chow Jim
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/09/19 22:09:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:

[br
Here in New England it was common not that long ago to have creamed dryed cod over biscuits for breakfast, damn decent.
Also as a former Navy cook when we served REAL creamed chip beef on toast we had a long line on the galley deck, everybody turned out.
We also got a good turn out for a spicey tomato and ground beef mixture for breakfast rats. Could never figure out that one, but it was good. Chow Jim

Heck, I knew someone in Keene, New Hampshire who ate creamed tripe on hot apple pie for breakfast every single day of his life.
mncorn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: Creamed Chipped Beef 2008/10/18 01:32:47 (permalink)
Yup, this is comfert food. White toast for me.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1