Creamed Onions

Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
2003/11/24 16:38:11 (permalink)

Creamed Onions

I felt like something different this year and I've never made creamed onions. Is it worth the trouble to use fresh or are frozen pearl onions just as good? For some reason I want to put Gruyere cheese on top...would that be too weird? I'm taking any recipes and advice I can get.

10 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/11/24 16:48:01 (permalink)
    Me too.

I would like to try them. I made some braised celery last year, and my mom was the only one who liked it, so would like to try another new dish.
    Roy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/11/24 17:06:15 (permalink)
    Creamed onions are one of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes and the way they are done in my house is to utilize the whole onions that come in a jar. Preferably not the very small pearl onions but those somewhat larger about an inch to a little larger in diameter. It's not worth it to use fresh and the small frozen have an unpleasant skin on them generally that doesn't go well in a cream sauce.
    First time out, I wouldn't recommend going the cheese route although I've never had them that way.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/11/24 17:12:07 (permalink)
    In a jar? I don;t think I've seen anything but pickled onions is a jar.

What if I add peas???
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/11/24 17:17:41 (permalink)
    If you try to prepare creamed onions and don't use fresh ones, you are really missing the boat!!

If you have the opportunity, make them a day or two ahead and reheat them for your meal. Unlike many prepared foods, creamed onions are much better as "leftovers"

Wally
    drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/11/24 18:59:15 (permalink)
    Creamed pearl onions and baby peas are always on our Thanksgiving table. I don't really use a recipe, just basically make a rich white sauce with a butter roux and cream, and add the onions and peas. Don't overcook it at this point, 'cause those peas are best almost raw. I usually use the frozen onions, and have never noticed a "skin" on them. Although they save a whole bunch of work that way, I do understand Wallhd's sentiment re fresh ones! I sometimes also give the sauce a flavor jolt with a tsp of concentrated chicken stock, which is available as a paste (called Chicken Base) in restaurant supply stores, etc. I love that stuff! The finished dish crys out for freshly ground pepper too. jm
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/11/24 21:33:40 (permalink)
    My family on my father's side followed English traditions. One of them was that you served onion sauce with turkey or chicken and bread sauce with goose or duck. As time went on we dropped the bread sauce and served onion sauce with any roast fowl. The making of the onion sauce was quite a production and happened right in the middle of everything else. This is where modern technology steps in. Mary, my wife, does it all in the microwave now.

Peel and quarter about 6 onions and cook them in the microwave.

Make 2 cups of thick white sauce. Mix 4 Tbls of melted butter with 4 Tbls of flour. Add 2 cups of milk, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper. Cook this in the microwave. Stop and stir once in a while.

Put it all in a blender or food processor and puree.

This is served as a condiment, hot. You eat it along side as you would eat apple sauce with pork. If you like creamed onions, you will love this stuff.

We are having a small lamb roast for thanksgiving but I am having my onion sauce. As you can imagine it is great with left overs too.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/11/26 03:49:53 (permalink)
    I couldn't find any onions in jars that weren't in red wine vinegar. I got gold pearl onions (the lady on the hotline...that's what they're there for...told me white ones are "just plain hot", red are "next hot" and the golden ones are sweet and mild. I did get Emmenthaler and Gruyere and will experiment with "gratinizing" small amounts in the broiler.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/11/26 07:42:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

I couldn't find any onions in jars that weren't in red wine vinegar. I got gold pearl onions (the lady on the hotline...that's what they're there for...told me white ones are "just plain hot", red are "next hot" and the golden ones are sweet and mild. I did get Emmenthaler and Gruyere and will experiment with "gratinizing" small amounts in the broiler.

Good luck and hope they turn out fine.........After years of using fresh ones, I bought 2 bags of frozen ones and I found them to be just as good as the fresh and it saves a lot of work.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/12/02 22:21:58 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    The Saturday treat at Alice's Krazy Korner Kafe in Athens in years past was creamed onions. They used the little jars, but they weren't pickled... cocktail onions, maybe.
    One of the LPs of the group Sea Level shows Randall Bramblett rubbing his tummy and blissfully thinking foodthoughts. "It was Saturday when they did our photo shoot," he revealed, "and I was thinking of Alice's creamed onions."
    I'll suggest to Judy at The Normaltown Cafe' that she experiment with creamed onions sometime, or else suggest a creamy onion soup for Travis to make. Today's was beef & noodle, and it turned out a mite salty due to added stock; I dashed on a few dribbles of Lea & Perrins and it improved it 1000%. "I'm gonna use some of that next time I make it," Travis confided. "You got a gooood palate to spot that."
    Sweetly And Dreamily, Neatly And Creamily, Ort. Carlton in Onionized Athens, Georgia (120 Miles From Vidalia!).
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Creamed Onions 2003/12/03 00:21:43 (permalink)
    Great stuff!!
    Get the pearl onions and soak them in cold water. Plunge them into boiling salted water and leave to cool. They will just slide out of their skins. Reduce white wine and some stock and add heavy cream, reduce till a little thick and add the onions. Put all this in a baking dish and cover with emmanthaler, gruyere or appenzeller cheese. Bake till golden. Some ham added is nice too.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1