Creamed Spinach

Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2004/02/11 10:57:31 (permalink)

Creamed Spinach

I have recently become of fan of this marvelous dish and I know all of you roadfooders have some fabulous recipes to share. How about it?

25 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 11:02:36 (permalink)
    Oh, Oh, I do. I'm not sure if I have them here or at home. I too could eat my weight in creamed spinach. When I need a quick fix I run thru Boston Market! I'll check for you, but I'm sure by the time I find them you'll have some marvelous suggestions, which I may take note of myself!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 11:10:51 (permalink)
    for creamed spinach, this is what I like:

http://robbiehaf.com/Recipes/B/68.htm

Let us know how it turns out

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 11:16:07 (permalink)
    Here is how I do it. I don't measure, so quantities herein are estimated

Brown 3 strips of bacon till crisp. reserve 1 TBS of the fat.
    crumble bacon and reserve.

saute 1 medium chopped onion in the 1 Tbs bacon fat till translucent

add chopped spinach (fresh or frozen) and saute a few minutes (if using freash spinach saute until wilted down.)

Add 1 cup (approx) milk and 1 chicken boullion cube. bring to a gentle boil while stirring - make sure boullion cube is dissolved

Thicken with cornstarch mixed with cold water

salt and pepper to taste (boullion cube/bacon usually provides enough salt for my tastes)

Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top before serving

Note: If you are not concerned with fat or calories use heavy cream instead of milk and omit the thickening step.

I guess you could use plain oil instead of bacon but the bacon really does give it a nice flavor.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 11:26:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by efuery

Here is how I do it. I don't measure, so quantities herein are estimated

Brown 3 strips of bacon till crisp. reserve 1 TBS of the fat.
    crumble bacon and reserve.

saute 1 medium chopped onion in the 1 Tbs bacon fat till translucent

add chopped spinach (fresh or frozen) and saute a few minutes (if using freash spinach saute until wilted down.)

Add 1 cup (approx) milk and 1 chicken boullion cube. bring to a gentle boil while stirring - make sure boullion cube is dissolved

Thicken with cornstarch mixed with cold water

salt and pepper to taste (boullion cube/bacon usually provides enough salt for my tastes)

Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top before serving

Note: If you are not concerned with fat or calories use heavy cream instead of milk and omit the thickening step.

I guess you could use plain oil instead of bacon but the bacon really does give it a nice flavor.

Sounds delicious - thanks!
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 11:29:56 (permalink)
    i looove creamed spinach. its my favorite leftover after ThanksGiving, in fact i will fight anyone for it, arm wrestling, thumb wrestling, mud wrestling....and i WILL win.
    Rusty246
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 11:32:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I have recently become of fan of this marvelous dish and I know all of you roadfooders have some fabulous recipes to share. How about it?

Mine recipes are not here, but it's pretty darned close to Sundancer's recipe. I do not add sour cream(will try in the future!), I like it with a little more butter, say double.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 12:28:23 (permalink)
    I like to mix goat cheese with the spinach.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 12:50:02 (permalink)
    The creamed spinach I loved from childhood, that my mother used to make, always had some white vinegar in the sauce, and I liked sliced hard-boiled egg on top. Does this ring any bells with anyone else, or was this a recipe that she (or HER mother, who did catering) had created? I have no idea how much vinegar she used, but you could taste the tang of the vinegar in the spinach.
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 13:10:46 (permalink)
    6star; that's the way my Oklahoma mama use to make it. It was very good.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6878
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 13:16:43 (permalink)
    Lone Star,

Forget about all those recipes that have the word "frozen" next to spinach! This is like dumping a CAN of RED KIDNEY BEANS in your CHILI!

Go to Costco or Sam's or your local groceria and buy that big bag (3lb) of FRESH spinach. Then you must stand next to the sink and remove every single stem. (Your family will thank you and you'll be a hero.) Blanch the leaves in boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Remove to collander and run cold water over all to stop the cooking. When spinach is cold, squeeze all the water out (in small handfulls) and place in a bowl. You may want to give it a quick chop at this point (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depends on my mood).

Now you want to finely chop a shallot and start sweating it in a small amount of butter in a saute pan. Then add the spinach. Season with salt and pepper (nutmeg is nice too) and add whatever kind of cream you happen to have on hand.......sour cream, no fat sour cream, heavy cream. Of course, the best is heavy cream but I have made it with no fat sour cream and it's entirely palatable.

Next: what are we gonna do with the creamed spinach? Halve a red pepper (remove seeds) and roast in a hot oven for about 10 mins. Fill each side with spinach mixture and top with asiago cheese and return to oven until cheese is brown. Or........get some nice fresh artichokes and "turn" them until you're just left with the bottoms. Blanch them. Then stuff with the spinach and top with gruyere cheese and bake until nicely browned. Or.........make a salmon "Napoleon" and layer thin broiled salmon slices with the drippy creamed spinach and top with beurre blanc.

OK, I gotta stop now.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 13:27:01 (permalink)
    I knew lleechef would come up with the best thoughts. With her experience, I expected the best. She is correct regarding the fresh spinach. Unfortunately when I need a quick creamed spinach fix, I generally do not have it fresh and I have to reply on the trusty freezer. Great advice lleechef on cleaning the product. It sometimes has nasty hitchhikers.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 13:35:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I knew lleechef would come up with the best thoughts. With her experience, I expected the best. She is correct regarding the fresh spinach. Unfortunately when I need a quick creamed spinach fix, I generally do not have it fresh and I have to reply on the trusty freezer. Great advice lleechef on cleaning the product. It sometimes has nasty hitchhikers.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Well, I didn't want to step on any toes here about the frozen stuff........but the FRESH is just SOOOOOOOO much better! If you happen to have it growing in your garden then you really hit the BONUS ROUND! Be sure to wash it well in several changes of cold water before cooking. Nothing worse than "gritty" spinach!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 14:25:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef
    Nothing worse than "gritty" spinach!

or collards, or kale, or turnip greens, or mustard greens, or ...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 14:36:44 (permalink)
    Again and again, YOU ARE RIGHT! GRIT is NOT an ingredient in MY FOOD!
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 15:23:48 (permalink)
    I just had some great creamed spinach from this new bbq joint in nyc calles Daisy Mae's. Its on 11th Ave. & 46th. A little bitter, but maybe that's the way you all do it in the south ?
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/11 15:58:15 (permalink)
    The best creamed spinach I've ever had was at the Berghoff Restuarant in Chicago. It's a specialty they are well know for. This web site claims this is their recipe.

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/55/291507.shtml
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/12 18:05:26 (permalink)
    In todays edition of the Knoxville News Sentinel, the food sectioon featured creamed celery which basically was the same as creamed spinach except celery was used. In the same edition they also discussed creamed French green beans.

My conclusion was that most any vegetable can be served this way?

I made the French green beans that way this evening and I was pleased.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/12 18:38:11 (permalink)
    Creamed spinach shows up on a lot of restaurant menus these days. I'm under the impression that Knoxville people particularly love it. I've had the creamed spinach and artichoke dish at Calhoun's On The River many times, and think it's one of the best dishes I've been served in any restaurant. Their dish is served from the oven in individual baking dishes. The creamed spinach I've eaten in other Knoxville restaurants was also nicely done. Viva creamed spinach.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/13 00:26:32 (permalink)
    Spinach and artichokes are a classic combo. Another veg that is interesting is creamed leeks. Delicious under broiled salmon!
    Rusty246
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/02/13 15:49:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

. I too could eat my weight in creamed spinach.

I've got 50 bucks that says you can't.

I think creamed spinach is going to be on the competitve eating circuit this summer. Won't that be something to see coming back up?

I've got $50 saying that YOU'RE the only one wondering what it'd look like "coming back up"....
    Everythingbutwings
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/03/09 11:30:23 (permalink)
    I highly recommend making Rick Bayless' recipe for Broiled Chipotle Chicken with Creamy Spinach. It is simple and delicious.
    quote:
    You have company coming, you want to do something special and there's no time. Here is a simple concoction that practically everyone takes to right away: smoky and spicy broiled chicken with creamy spinach. There is nothing particularly traditional here except the combination of chipotles and cream (considered a little "gourmet" in Mexico). It is just very good (comfort food with a kick) and very easy.

http://www.pepperfool.com/books/bk_recipes/bayless/broiled.html

Next time I make it, I'm adding some minced shallot. :)

renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/03/09 12:47:58 (permalink)
    while i usually make my own, I on occassion have consumed a frozen prepackaged version. The Seabrook Farms one is pretty good when it is late and you just want some creamed spinach.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/03/09 14:26:18 (permalink)
    I really like the Spinach served at the Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Shelbyville KY. It is just one of the eight veggies served with the dinners on the menu. It smacks of bacon, and a mild cheese in the 'creaming sauce'. It is a thick cream, not runny at all, so the end result holds shape when served on your plate from the serving bowl. Both JiminKy and Sundancer have enjoyed this dish also, so it is a well recommended .
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/03/09 15:00:53 (permalink)
    Best creamed spinach recipe I know of is the one in Laurie Colwin's HOME COOKING. I won't reprint it, because I'd prefer everyone buy the book, which is my favorite cooking-related book of all time. (Calvin Trillin doesn't count: his books are eating-related. There's a difference.)
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Creamed Spinach 2004/03/09 17:28:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Best creamed spinach recipe I know of is the one in Laurie Colwin's HOME COOKING. I won't reprint it, because I'd prefer everyone buy the book, which is my favorite cooking-related book of all time. (Calvin Trillin doesn't count: his books are eating-related. There's a difference.)

Thanks for this information. I have had both of Laurie Colwin's books for years and just love reading them and trying her recipes. I have never really noticed the creamed spinach recipe and going to look it up tonight.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1