Creme Brulee ingredients

Author
offlady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 343
2006/11/19 18:40:29 (permalink)

Creme Brulee ingredients

I am thinking of attempting to make creme brulee for my family. I am wondering if I should be using cream or heavy cream? Has anyhone had experience with this dish and what the different kinds of milk/cream will have on the outcome of the dessert?

5 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Creme Brulee ingredients 2006/11/20 10:15:37 (permalink)
    I've had it with both light and heavy. I've only made it with light which is , IMO, better, and better for you. Then again, I prefer a custard made with 2% milk. No matter how you make it, it is easy to make and fun to serve. It is not the classic way to serve it, but I like Cream Brulle with a dab of fresh whipped cream on top. For that, I always use heavy cream that I buy right off the farm at Pearson's Dairy in Millbury, Mass.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1157
    RE: Creme Brulee ingredients 2006/11/25 17:09:13 (permalink)
    I think most recipes call for heavy cream. There's not a lot to the recipe - egg yolks, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. I've seen some variations in the type of sugar used (superfine vs granulated) and vanilla (extract vs vanilla bean). Also in browning the tops, some recipes call for brown sugar, others use a half and half combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar.

I like the Barefoot Contessa's recipe for creme brulee from her "Barefoot in Paris" cookbook. She adds a TBS of Grand Marnier which is a nice touch.
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Creme Brulee ingredients 2006/12/13 04:17:59 (permalink)
    I made a batch of creme brulee over the weekend. The recipe called for heavy cream and half & half. No one complained so I guess everyone liked it. Next time I will try making it using lighter cream.

I don't have a torch, so I burnt the sugar using my broiler in the oven. The heat melted the custard a bit and I had to return the cups to the fridge. Does it happen with the torch too? I don't want to invest in a torch as I don't expect to use it much.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1157
    RE: Creme Brulee ingredients 2006/12/13 18:38:13 (permalink)
    I was always afraid of cracking my custard cups, so have never used the broiler, my understanding is the creme brulle is supposed to be chilled, and the tops browned just before serving. The times I've used the torch, got an even browning with no burning of the custard. I see them in the housewares section of discount stores like TJ Maxx and Marshall's and with Christmas, Linens and Things have been running 20% off coupons. Maybe you can ask Santa?
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Creme Brulee ingredients 2006/12/14 03:49:08 (permalink)
    Santa already has a heavy burden. He has to replace those expensive sunglasses I misplaced at Costco the other day while in a rush, look at getting me an energy-saving hybrid car by February, and a trip to the hair salon. I have yet to ask for that new kitchen, new flooring, and new drapes for the house too. Do I dare ask for more?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1