The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Crock Pot Desserts?

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
Crock Pot Desserts? Tue, 03/15/11 4:43 AM (permalink)
I am wondering if anyone has good dessert recipes made in a crock pot?  Any tricks or alterations to using the crock pots for recipes that normally call for baking in the oven?  

We sold our house and "downsized" to a place with no stove.  For the past 10 months I have cooked our meals using the microwave, toaster oven, electric skillet, and 3 crock pots of varying sizes.  I have used those crock pots more than ever, and was wondering if there are desserts that can be "baked" inside.  My toaster oven works great but sometimes it is just too small for certain recipes.

improviser

• Total Posts: 865
    Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Tue, 03/15/11 7:59 AM (permalink)
    While I've never used my crockpot to make desserts myself, some of the desserts described on the Year of Slow Cooking blog sound delicious.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
      Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Tue, 03/15/11 11:24 AM (permalink)
      After checking out the blogspot you referenced (and finding the coconut cake recipe where the lady used an ordinary cake mix) I think it should be possible to "bake" almost any cake mix cake in a crock pot!  Thank you for the reference.  I will try it.  I think it will come in handy in the summer when you want to bake a cake, but don't want to heat up the kitchen or overload your air conditioner.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
        Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Tue, 03/15/11 2:48 PM (permalink)
        Cakes are great in a crockpot. They come out about halfway between pudding and cake. I just used a mix and did it on low for 5 hours. Scoop it out like ice cream.

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
          Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Wed, 03/16/11 5:47 PM (permalink)
          Thanks for the info improviser.  I didn't realize I could do Chex party mix in the slow cooker so thanks.  
          fishtaco, that cake sounds good...does it have the consistency of souffle????

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
            Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Thu, 03/17/11 3:28 PM (permalink)
            offlady

Thanks for the info improviser.  I didn't realize I could do Chex party mix in the slow cooker so thanks.  
            fishtaco, that cake sounds good...does it have the consistency of souffle????

No not really, just super moist. Hard to discribe the texture.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
              Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Sun, 03/20/11 12:09 PM (permalink)
              Triple Chocolate Mess is a regular crockpot recipe for my family.  A kind of hot fudge cake in the crockpot, very rich & sweet, serves 12-14 easily.  Don't forget the vanilla ice cream.
              Recipe:
              1 (18 1/2 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
              1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding.
              3/4 cup oil
              1 cup water
              4 eggs
              1 (6 ounce) bag chocolate chips.
              1 pint sour cream.

Spray crock pot with non-stick spray.
              Mix all ingredients and place in crock pot.
              Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
              Try not to lift the lid during cooking.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-triple-chocolate-mess-21387#ixzz1H9kzKatU

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Sun, 03/20/11 12:28 PM (permalink)
                I'm going to make that! I have sausage lentil soup in mine right now, so maybe later in the week!

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                  Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Wed, 03/23/11 6:54 PM (permalink)
                  Crock Pot Berry Cobbler

3 bags assorted frozen fruit - your choice (exp: peach, strawberry, blackberry)
                  1/2 cup biscuit mix
                  2/3 cup sugar
                  Mix the above and add to crock pot

Mix the following ingredients and top the fruit mixture:

2 1/4 cups biscuit mix
                  1/4 cup sugar
                  1/2 cup melted butter
                  1/2 cup milk

Cook thee hours on high.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                    Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Wed, 03/23/11 6:54 PM (permalink)
                    Crock Pot Berry Cobbler

1/2 cup biscuit mix
                    2/3 cup sugar

2 1/4 cups biscuit mix
                    1/4 cup sugar
                    1/2 cup melted butter
                    1/2 cup milk

Cook thee hours on high.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                      Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Thu, 03/24/11 12:50 AM (permalink)
                      Crockpot Apples

1 5 pound bag of red apples
                      big bag with lemon juice
                      real vanilla
                      cinnamon hot candies
                      water (just enough to cover bottom of pan)

Quarter each apple, then cut the seeds out. Cut each quarter in 3 slices, and peel each slice. Place into big resealable bag with lemon juice so they don't get brown while you're working on the other slices.

When you're done with the apples (I'm not gonna lie, it takes FOREVER), place 1/3 of the apple slices in the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle with vanilla and 1/3 the cinnamon hot candies. Repeat layers 2 more times, then pour enough water in on the side of the crockpot just to fill the bottom (maybe 3/4 cup?)

Cook on low for several hours. Makes the house smell awesome.

I've also done this for potlucks at work--do the apples the night before & assemble once you get to work, cook it on high until lunch.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                        Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Thu, 03/24/11 6:28 PM (permalink)
                        You got me curious, so I checked my one crock pot cookbook and found a banana bread pudding recipe that looks good.  I'll post if anyone is interested.

stricken_detective

Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Thu, 03/24/11 9:52 PM (permalink)
                          *raises hand* I am interested. I have some bananas that need to go.

BelleReve

Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Fri, 03/25/11 5:39 PM (permalink)
                            Creole Banana Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
                               (from Joe Simmer's All American Slow Cookin'

5 large eggs                              2 cups half and half
                            1 cup firmly packed dark            2 tsp. vanilla extract
                               brown sugar                           2 TBS. dark rum
                            1 tsp. ground cinnamon             6 cups French bread cut in 1" 
                            1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg        cubes
                            1/8 tsp. salt                                1/4 cup melted butter 
                            1 large, or 2 small bananas sliced                    
                            3/4 cup dark raisins(optional)

Generously butter the crock of the slow cooker.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until frothy, then beat in the brown sugar.  Sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, then stir to blend.  While stirring with whisk, add melted butter, and then the half and half.  Stir in the vanilla extract and dark rum.  Add the cubed French bread and using the back of a large spoon, press it into the custard mixture.  Fold in the sliced bananas and raisins(if using).  Spoon the mixture into the crock, spread evenly, but do not stir.  Cover and cook on high 2-3 hrs, or until custard is set- a butter knife inserted in the center of the pudding should come out clean.  Meanwhile, make the sauce.

Rum Sauce

1 stick unsalted butter                2 TBS. water 
                            1 cup firmly packed brown           1/2 tsp. freshly grated         sugar                                              nutmeg
                            1/4 cup, plus 1 TBS. dark rum,      1/8 tsp. salt
                                  divided                                    1 large egg, beaten

Melt the butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat.  Add the brown sugar, 1/4 cup rum, water, nutmeg, and salt and cook, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove the pan from the heat, and using a whisk, beat in the beaten egg.  Return the pan to the heat and continue stirring and simmering, until thickened.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining TBS. of rum.  Serve the warm sauce over the warm bread pudding. 
                            Chef's note - sometimes the pudding sticks around the edges, but some people think that's the best part.

Here's another sauce recipe:

Tart Cranberry Bread Pudding Sauce

1 can whole berry cranberry sauce       1/2 can water (use 
                            2 tsp. vanilla                                                 cranberry can)
                            1/4 cup brandy                                     1 cup sugar
                            6 TBS. cornstarch                                  1/2 stick butter

Mix all ingredients except cornstarch and butter, in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch with a little water to a thick, creamy consistency.  Add the cornstarch mixture slowly to cranberry mixture, stirring constantly over medium heat, until sauce reaches desired thickness.  You may not need all of the cornstarch.

Keep sauce hot in a double boiler.  Just before serving, add butter to sauce.

stricken_detective

Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Sat, 03/26/11 7:57 PM (permalink)
                              Mmmmm, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

BelleReve

Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Sun, 03/27/11 11:05 AM (permalink)
                                glad to contribute something - let us know how it comes out.

bellehill

• Total Posts: 133
                                  Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Thu, 03/31/11 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                  SassyGritsAL

Crock Pot Berry Cobbler

1/2 cup biscuit mix
                                  2/3 cup sugar

2 1/4 cups biscuit mix
                                  1/4 cup sugar
                                  1/2 cup melted butter
                                  1/2 cup milk

Cook thee hours on high.

man that was the best stuff

stricken_detective

Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Sun, 04/3/11 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                    BelleReve

Creole Banana Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
                                      (from Joe Simmer's All American Slow Cookin'

5 large eggs                              2 cups half and half
                                    1 cup firmly packed dark            2 tsp. vanilla extract
                                      brown sugar                           2 TBS. dark rum
                                    1 tsp. ground cinnamon             6 cups French bread cut in 1" 
                                    1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg        cubes
                                    1/8 tsp. salt                                1/4 cup melted butter 
                                    1 large, or 2 small bananas sliced                    
                                    3/4 cup dark raisins(optional)

Generously butter the crock of the slow cooker.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until frothy, then beat in the brown sugar.  Sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, then stir to blend.  While stirring with whisk, add melted butter, and then the half and half.  Stir in the vanilla extract and dark rum.  Add the cubed French bread and using the back of a large spoon, press it into the custard mixture.  Fold in the sliced bananas and raisins(if using).  Spoon the mixture into the crock, spread evenly, but do not stir.  Cover and cook on high 2-3 hrs, or until custard is set- a butter knife inserted in the center of the pudding should come out clean.  Meanwhile, make the sauce.

Rum Sauce

1 stick unsalted butter                2 TBS. water 
                                    1 cup firmly packed brown           1/2 tsp. freshly grated         sugar                                              nutmeg
                                    1/4 cup, plus 1 TBS. dark rum,      1/8 tsp. salt
                                         divided                                    1 large egg, beaten

Melt the butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat.  Add the brown sugar, 1/4 cup rum, water, nutmeg, and salt and cook, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove the pan from the heat, and using a whisk, beat in the beaten egg.  Return the pan to the heat and continue stirring and simmering, until thickened.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining TBS. of rum.  Serve the warm sauce over the warm bread pudding. 
                                    Chef's note - sometimes the pudding sticks around the edges, but some people think that's the best part.

OMG. This was like bananas foster, but with bread!!!! You rock my socks!!! :D THANK YOU!!!!

BelleReve

Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Wed, 04/6/11 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                      stricken - thanks so much for giving such a positive report.   I'm real happy that I was able to provide a recipe that turned out so well.   

stricken_detective

Re:Crock Pot Desserts? Thu, 04/7/11 4:06 AM (permalink)
                                        It turned out great, but I lied & said it did not turn out so I didn't have to share it at work.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com