Cuban Bread

Author
Macdaddy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
2005/07/06 14:19:09 (permalink)

Cuban Bread

Hello all,

Here in Seattle there is no place to get a Cuban Sandwich. So I wanted to try to make my own. Does anyone have an alternative to using Cuban bread for this sandwich? There is nowhere to get it here. Better yet, doe's anyone have an easy recipe to make my own Cuban bread?

thanks,

9 Replies Related Threads

Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/06 14:24:52 (permalink)
    Most places outside of Florida use Italian loaves as a replacement for Cuban.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/06 14:43:52 (permalink)

Try this-----Cuban Bread

1 scant T. or 1 (1/2 oz.) package active dry yeast

2 C. warm water (105 - 115°F.)

1 t. salt

4 1/2 to 5 1/2 C. unbleached all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, soften the yeast in the water.

Add the salt and 3 cups of the flour. Beat vigorously with a dough whisk or a heavy-handled spoon for 2 minutes.

Gradually add more of the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough forms a mass and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface.

Knead, adding more flour, a little at a time as necessary, about 8 to 10 minutes, or until you have a smooth, elastic dough and blisters begin to develop on the surface.

Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl. Turn to coat the entire ball of dough with oil. Cover with a tightly woven kitchen towel and let rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface and knead it into a ball. Put the dough on a well-greased baking sheet and flatten it slightly so that is about 3 inches high. Make 3 slits in the top of the loaf, about 1/4 inch deep and 2 inches apart.

Pour 1 cup of boiling water into a shallow pan and put the pan on the lower shelf of an unheated oven. put the dough on the shelf above, wait 10 minutes, turn the oven to 400°F. Bake the bead for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 200°F.

Immediately remove from the baking sheet and cool on a rack.

And another;
    Cuban Bread
    (two plump loaves)

5-6 cups bread or all-purpose flour
    2 packages dry yeast
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 cups hot water (125F)
    Sesame or poppy seeds (optional)

grease baking sheet, sprinkle with cornmeal

By hand Place 4 cups flour in a large bowl, add yeast salt, & sugar.
    or mixer Stir until well blended. Pour in water, beat 100 strokes, or
    (15 min) 3 min with mixers flat beater.
    Gradually work in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until dough
    loses stickiness.

Kneading Sprinkle work surface with flour. Work in flour as you knead,
    (5 min) keep dusting work surface. Knead for 8 min, until dough is smooth
    and elastic.

Or by Use plastic dough blade. Put 2 cups flour in bowl and add other
    processor stuff as above. Pulse several times to mix. Add 2 more cups flour.
    (5 min) Pulse to blend (remove cover to add flour).
    Add remaining flour through feed tube, pulsing after each
    addition, until dough is carried around bowl by blade.

Kneading Run machine for 45 seconds.
    (45 sec)

Rising Put dough in greased, covered bowl for 15 min.
    (15 min)

Shaping Punch dough down, turn onto work surface, cut in 2. Shape each
    (4 min) into round, place on baking sheet, slash X with razor. Brush
    with water and sprinkle with optional seeds (found in the optional
    aisle of the supermarket).

Baking Place baking sheet in middle of cold oven. Put a pan of hot water
    (45 min) in the shelf below. Turn oven to 400F until loaves are deep golden
    brown. Thump the bottom- if they sound hollow, they are done.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/06 17:31:13 (permalink)
    I've never found Cuban bread anything special--at least in FL where most of my Cuban sandwiches have been eaten. A good quality kaiser roll would work as would a French baguette (a whole baguette would make several sandwiches obviously) or Italian bread. The quality of the ham you use is probably a lot more important.
    Macdaddy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/06 17:43:00 (permalink)
    I have a recipe for the roast pork portion of the sandwich, what kind of ham would you all reccomend. Also what about yellow mustard, or is that a no-no?
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/07 14:35:06 (permalink)
    I have to agree with BT, altough cuban bread is slightly different in tecture a kaiser or torpedo roll works fine. Its more about the cooking style, my george forman burger cooker does a fairly good job with a gal can of ketchup on the lid.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/07 15:00:58 (permalink)
    FOr me--bread is deffinately important---they dont call it the staff of life for nothing!! i onceshopped at a bakery whose motto was "life is to short to eat bad bread!' and i couldnt agree more--all breads have their place (barbeque should always be served with wonder bread!!!!)and to my mind the closer the bread is to the original the better the sandwich is---rubens are NOT made with whole wheat!!--so go ahead and bake the bread at home or serch out real cuban bread--it will only go to enhance the experience!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/07 18:14:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

FOr me--bread is deffinately important---they dont call it the staff of life for nothing!! i onceshopped at a bakery whose motto was "life is to short to eat bad bread!' and i couldnt agree more--all breads have their place (barbeque should always be served with wonder bread!!!!)and to my mind the closer the bread is to the original the better the sandwich is---rubens are NOT made with whole wheat!!--so go ahead and bake the bread at home or serch out real cuban bread--it will only go to enhance the experience!

I didn't say the bread wasn't important. I said the bread typically used and called "Cuban" is nothing special. It's not very different than the other types of bread I suggested and, frankly, a well-made artisanal version of those would probably make a superior sandwich to the mediocre "Cuban" bread often used. And I've had Cuban sandwiches pretty much everywhere there are Cubans except Havana (I lived in FL for 10 years and love Cuban food), so I think I'm pretty familiar with the norm. That's not to say if you want to put the effort into making your own bread you shouldn't. But just look at the recipe suggested and tell me where it differs substantially from a French or Italian loaf.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/07 21:11:43 (permalink)
    Nothing personal BT---im just a really makpr bread freak!!
    azure
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Cuban Bread 2005/07/08 01:34:08 (permalink)
    whole foods makes a panini roll that has the same textural qualities, however their recipe must not include sugar, which is a key ingredient. But I've used it in a pinch and if you close your eyes and use your imagination it's pretty darn good.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1