Cuban Sandwich

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/07/27 06:59:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:
Originally posted by Eric

In New York there are cubans everywhere, some are really good, some really bad. Some of the best are in Dominican or Puerto Rican restaurants. It's really all about the pork, everything else serves to compliment the pork. Bread is important too, I don't know about Cuban bread, but a fresh hero(or whatever you want to call it...) is essential. Mustard and/or mayo, but always swiss cheese. Most places use ham, some salami, some chorizo, or a combination. Always pressed.

One of the great New York Cubans is served at[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2197']Margon[/url], a Dominican-run hole-in-the-wall around the corner from Times Square. We recently did a "Splendid Table" radio segment about it: [url='http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/whereweeat/stern_margon.html']Click here to listen[/url].

I can only second Michael's recommendation. This place was a favorite of mine when I worked in midtown Manhattan. Their Cuban sandwiches are amazing, but not to be missed are their daily specials. Friday was my favorite day -- that was when they served Pulpo -- Octopus Salad. Delicious.

If you go to New York, make sure you go. The whole place -- the preparation, the atmosphere, the cramped quarters -- you know you are getting the real deal. It's a busy place, and it is amazing that such a place still exists despite the high rents that exist in the Times Square district.
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/07/27 08:16:34 (permalink)
Nothing like a Cuban sandwich in Key West. Of course, location is a major factor.
daveritzdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/07/27 22:23:31 (permalink)
True! The Cuban sandwiches here in New York City are pretty bad. They are nothing like the ones I used to get in Miami. In NYC, they never seem to use Cuban bread and they use inferior cold cuts, cheese, and pickles! I miss the ones at the Latin American Cafeteria in Miami, they are the best! Very authentic, the real deal!
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/10/24 19:03:19 (permalink)
In south Florida let me recommend a small chain called "Latin Cafe" 4 or 5 locations in Miami. Quite a variety of cuban sandwiches.
There was another chain around Miami that sold pizza, mexican, cuban, and coffee all in one shop.

carl reitz
dogmeat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/01/29 22:42:28 (permalink)
Cuban sandwiches exist in the same plane as chili, every five feet you travel the receipe changes. Some people prefer pulled meat to sliced and so on. We use 12 hour smoked pork brushed with mojo sauce in ours resulting in yet another flavor.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/01/29 22:50:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dogmeat

Cuban sandwiches exist in the same plane as chili, every five feet you travel the receipe changes. Some people prefer pulled meat to sliced and so on. We use 12 hour smoked pork brushed with mojo sauce in ours resulting in yet another flavor.

Sounds dreadful to me......
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/01/29 23:55:56 (permalink)
Roberto's Little Havana on A1A in Cocoa Beach has some of the best Cuban food I have ever had.
I was born and raised in Miami, and thats going back before the Cubans ever came, so I know true authentic Cuban Food, and LOVE IT>
But if you are in Cocoa Beach, dont leave without stopping in there.
Pork chunks in a green sauce, the media noches, and Cubans sandwiches are just to die for!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/01/30 00:29:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

That judgement seems a little harsh to me. Actually, I think it could be good but even if it isn't to your taste, "dreadful"--and without even tasting it (this from a man who breads his pork chops with habanero mustard)?
dogmeat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/01/30 08:11:28 (permalink)
When assembled correctly with thin slices of pickle wedges, brushed with real butter on one side, painted with mustard on the other side with swiss chesse, shaved smoked pork collar dipped in garlic mojo and a quality shaved ham (I use German Black Forrest)and finally brushed with an extra-virgin olive oil/butter blend right before serving, WOW!!

Correctly balanced the glistening sandwich seems to take on a life of it's own, perhaps a dedicated flavor rather than a list of ingredients.

Personally I like the shaved meat instead of the "chunks" because I think the flavor is more intense and the sandwich presses better.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/01/31 20:25:21 (permalink)
Just changed planes in the Miami airport last week. Had a good Cuban sandwich there, they also had the "media noche". But the to-die-for part of the meal was the Cuban coffee!!!! Sort of espresso with sugar in it. Also "cortadito" with milk....hmmmmmm!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/01/31 20:34:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:

quote:

That judgement seems a little harsh to me. Actually, I think it could be good but even if it isn't to your taste, "dreadful"--and without even tasting it (this from a man who breads his pork chops with habanero mustard)?

I really thought I would enjoy this Roadfood site. But now I am wondering why one is not allowed to express their opinion without someone taking them to task for their opinion? If it sounds good to you.....I am so happy for you. I happen to think it sounds terrible so why am I wrong and why are you right? You sound a little "holier than thou" to me. My opinion stands firm.
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/01/31 20:51:53 (permalink)
Here in Key West we thankfully, still have some authentic Cuban places. My favorite place for my Cuban sandwich is a little laundromat on White St where you place your order at a window and wait while your Cuban is pressed. I think the mojo and sour orange marinade for the pork and of course,the real Cuban bread makes it all work. I have never had a Cuban outside of Key West--I hear they have good places in Tampa--but north of the Mason/Dixon line?? Wow--hard to believe. Sure hope so for y'all!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Cuban Sandwich 2006/02/01 01:21:38 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:

quote:

I really thought I would enjoy this Roadfood site. But now I am wondering why one is not allowed to express their opinion without someone taking them to task for their opinion? If it sounds good to you.....I am so happy for you. I happen to think it sounds terrible so why am I wrong and why are you right? You sound a little "holier than thou" to me. My opinion stands firm.

Not that I was one of the posters in ,
But it seems that everyone is fair game to post replies and comments to their liking.. Several times, I have been in your position of thinking of asking the same , but then realized, that this is an open forum and like me, many just totally speak their minds and make comments from their hearts, and just being themselves, and there in so reason to take anyones comments to heart.
You arent wrong, and they arent right..... just people speaking their minds.
This web site is kinda like politics and religion in a bar... You get all kinds of reactions,.. just go on and read them and laugh or get mad, but never let them get the best of me, and make me make knee jerk reactions..
i love this web site, and am so glad I found it.. It makes me laugh, it pisses me off, and I learn lots from it, and I find for the most part, that everyone loves food, and if the whole world was as passionate as the posters here on ROADFOOD, and spoke their minds like we do, and still "get along", then it would be a much better place to be.
Make FOOD, not WAR!
Tara
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1