Cuban Sandwich

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
2003/08/01 08:22:56 (permalink)

Cuban Sandwich

I just had my first Cuban sandwich this past weekend, at a restaurant in New Hope PA. I live in southern NJ, and am looking to find a place that serves an authentic Cuban. The taste was delicious, exceeding my expectations, but there was mustard contained in the bun, I thought typically, the sandwich was served with mayonnaise instead. I used to live in Northern NJ, and Union City has more Cubans living there than Havana, but never had the urge to try one when I lived there, only after having read in Jane and Michael's books, have I had the urge. But in the southern NJ area, there do not seem to be any restuarants that serve them. So, any fellow southern NJ roadfooders, please help me with this! Thanks!

42 Replies Related Threads

Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 10:15:43 (permalink)
    Union City is the only place I know of here in N. Jersey, to get the best and most authentic Cuban. It's worth the trip up here.

http://www.s-t.com/daily/12-99/12-01-99/c03ho097.htm

http://www.elartesanorestaurant.com
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 11:00:00 (permalink)
    I'm also interested in finding Cuban sandwiches in So. Jersey, Eastern PA, or DE.
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

I just had my first Cuban sandwich this past weekend, at a restaurant in New Hope PA. I live in southern NJ, and am looking to find a place that serves an authentic Cuban. The taste was delicious, exceeding my expectations, but there was mustard contained in the bun, I thought typically, the sandwich was served with mayonnaise instead. I used to live in Northern NJ, and Union City has more Cubans living there than Havana, but never had the urge to try one when I lived there, only after having read in Jane and Michael's books, have I had the urge. But in the southern NJ area, there do not seem to be any restuarants that serve them. So, any fellow southern NJ roadfooders, please help me with this! Thanks!
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 11:06:24 (permalink)
    If they serve it, try a Cuban roasted pork sandwich. I live down in St. Petersburg, FL and really enjoy Cuban food. In fact, I think I enjoy a roasted pork sandwich better than a cuban. The roasted pork is the same pork they serve at dinner that has been cooked in a sour orange mojo.

John
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 11:06:45 (permalink)
    I did a google search for the recipe and it did not appear to be a rocket science thing to duplicate or make. Cuban bread or a french roll, split with ham, turkey and pulled pork, mustard on one side of the bread and butter on the other, then put in a hot pan with a weight on top of the sandwich and toast.

Sounds good but not complicated.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 11:18:54 (permalink)
    When I visit Miami, which is the only place I would ever have a Cuban sandwich, perhaps with the exception of Tampa, however I've never been to Tampa. The Cuban Sandwiches are always served on Compressed Cuban bread with Ham, Roast Pork, Salami, Mustard and Pickles, I'm not certain if butter is part of the mix. I did go to one place that served it with Mayo, and it "just didn't seem quite right".
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 14:21:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I did a google search for the recipe and it did not appear to be a rocket science thing to duplicate or make. Cuban bread or a french roll, split with ham, turkey and pulled pork, mustard on one side of the bread and butter on the other, then put in a hot pan with a weight on top of the sandwich and toast.

Sounds good but not complicated.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Your right Paul, it seems indeed simple, and tempted to make on one's own. Supposedly though, the Cuban bread is the key to it. It's an incredibly simple, but wonderfully tasty concept. I guess when I visit the folks next time up north, I may make a side trip to Union City. The sandwich is that good.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 14:54:58 (permalink)
    Try this link for info on all things Cuban:

http://icuban.com/food/cuban_sandwich.html
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 15:07:57 (permalink)
    great link!

I recently had my first cuban sandwhich also. We have a little local chain (2 stores) called "El Rey" here in Houston that serve all cuban food, with a drive-thru!

When you go in, there are rows of chickens on the rositire spinning as you peruse the menu. You can get a half a chicken with black beans white or cuban rice and plaintains for 4.50. Their menu is extensive with lots of things I want to try.

But after reading about the cuban sandwiches here, that is what I had. I watched them make it and put it in the press. I was amazed at how much ham and roast pork was on it. I could not eat it all. Loved the pickles and mustard.

It is the only drive thru I know of where you can get flan 24/7
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 15:43:03 (permalink)
    Most excellent read, Rick F.! I might have to go to Orbitz.com and hop the next flight to Tampa, the idea of Genoa Salami (my favorite) makes it all that much more enticing. Plus, I have relatives that live in Brandon, just outside the city. Will have to go to Ybor City next time I am visiting.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

Try this link for info on all things Cuban:

http://icuban.com/food/cuban_sandwich.html
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 16:56:43 (permalink)
    As far as I understand, a real cuban sandwich does not contain salami.......it consists of swiss cheese, roast (Cuban style) pork sliced very thin, ham, dill pickle and mustard and it must be pressed quite flat. There is not very much meat in the sandwich. A perfect cuban sandwich is quite an art! When I find the right bread, I roast a small pork tenderloin and make cuban sandwiches and use my "Georgie" (George Forman Grill) to press them down They come out perfect everytime!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 17:17:01 (permalink)
    A few years ago, I was in Miami visiting a pharmaceutical firm. I was invited to the home of the executive who ran the firm who was Cuban. In his home, I detected a wonderful spicey aroma. I was afraid to ask him what it was, but it was a common spice for the Cubans. It had to be because it permeated his beautiful residence. Perhaps some of you know because of your familarity of the Cuban culinary skills and cooking.

He took me to dinner at one of his local hangouts. It was small and definately a roadfood type of place. Clean, neat and the aroma of Cuban cooking was everywhere. I had the Cuban sandwich and it contained most of what has been posted above. In addition, there has to be some spices that are added as it did not taste bland. It was more than just the Cuban bread. Perhaps some of you know what it was.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rick F.
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 18:18:38 (permalink)
    I had my first last May at a little place named Las Palmas on the western edge of Waveland, MS (west of Gulfport). It was run by a very pleasant Cuban family and was praised to the skies by a number of newspaper columnists. Anyhow, the Cubano was pretty flat and crispy, but did have mayo. Like most of us here, I'd never heard of it on a Cubano. Pleasant, but pretty bland. The joint also had great [fresh] tropical fruit shakes: guava, mango, tamarind, and papaya.

Here are links to reviews:

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/entertainment/5964773.htm (This is the review that drew me to the place.).

http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=1249128
    chezkatie
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 19:30:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7
    I had the Cuban sandwich and it contained most of what has been posted above. In addition, there has to be some spices that are added as it did not taste bland. It was more than just the Cuban bread. Perhaps some of you know what it was.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I think the answer might be in the marinade that you use on the pork before you roast it. I use a combination of mojo (a sour orange cuban marinade) and lots of oregano and garlic. You marinade the pork in it overnight and then roast it. It has tons of flavor and when sliced thinly, it adds the "wow" to a real Cuban sandwich.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 21:14:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

When I find the right bread, I roast a small pork tenderloin and make cuban sandwiches and use my "Georgie" (George Forman Grill) to press them down They come out perfect everytime!

chezkatie

The Giant in Clarksville frequently has a small cuban roll. If they don't have them it's because they have sold out. They are really good & make great sandwiches. Plus a quick trip down 32 gives an excuse for lunch at El Azteca & a stop at Roots!
    chezkatie
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 21:20:38 (permalink)
    quote:

chezkatie

The Giant in Clarksville frequently has a small cuban roll. If they don't have them it's because they have sold out. They are really good & make great sandwiches. Plus a quick trip down 32 gives an excuse for lunch at El Azteca & a stop at Roots!

Thanks for that information. The Giants near us is a loser as far as breads and other baked goods go.............I have heard about El Azteca. How good are their Margarita's? My daughter in law wants to go out to eat tomorrow night at a Mexican restaurant where they have great Margaritas.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/01 22:24:57 (permalink)
    Haven't had one in a while due to my Diabetes, but I seem to remember them as pretty good.
    chilidawgguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/12 17:22:43 (permalink)
    One of the best Cubans, and for that matter, one of the best sandwiches I've had lately was at the airport restaurant in Orlando. This one was served with fried plantains and a dipping sauce similar to mojo, but made with fresh sour oranges. Toss in a side of black beans and rice and a rum based drink and you really got something.

And those of you above who pointed this out are correct....a true Cuban requires Cuban bread.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7304
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/14 04:23:41 (permalink)
    I was in Havanna and had this divine sandwich: of course, true Cuban bread, mayo on one side, mustard on the other, layered with baked ham, garlic-studded roasted pork (thinly sliced), dill pickles, a small amount of local cheese, melted, it was cow's milk but nothing I've ever had here in the US. I want to be like Hemmingway and move to Cuba!
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/08/14 07:43:03 (permalink)
    Everytime I ate one in Miami, it contained the following- ham,roast pork,swiss,pickles and mustard.
    Cubs Fan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/10/14 16:13:31 (permalink)

Try a Cuban sandwich at Versailles at 3555 Calle Ocho SW in Miami's Little Havana. It appeared to have Swiss cheese, ham, mustard and pickles. The bread was excellent. Versailles is a good place for Cuban food period and in huge portions. Frequented by locals, always a good sign. Open to 2:00 AM on weekday and to 4:30 AM on weekends. Got to like this place.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/10/14 16:51:29 (permalink)
    In Atlanta it's the Havana Sandwich Shop on Buford Hwy. Great Cuban sandwiches, black beans, and a side of rice w/ salsa. Media Noche- they call it.
    Rick F.
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2003/10/14 18:40:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

In Atlanta it's the Havana Sandwich Shop on Buford Hwy. Great Cuban sandwiches, black beans, and a side of rice w/ salsa. Media Noche- they call it.
    That one is a little different. I did a google search for "media noche"+sandwich and found a bunch of recipes. [url='http://www.sneakykitchen.com/Recipes/media-noche.htm']Here[/url]'s one.
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/01/09 11:37:55 (permalink)
    The best cuban sandwich i had took place in a nice hotel on south beach...oh wait you mean the REAL sandwich my bad...heck any little dive in miami makes a killer cuban, pressed of course, pork,mustard,and on the side some Yucca with oil and garlic, and maybe some black beans and rice, fried plaintains. Sorry Manuel and Ricardo the food beats your accents anyday.
    Boji
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/02/28 14:47:41 (permalink)
    The BEST Cuban sandwich to be had is from El Habanero Restaurant in Burns Court in Sarasota, FL. Juan Leon and his family from Cuba have had this restaurant for years & all their food is authentic Cuban fare. Truly outstanding!
    buggsy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/02/28 15:54:03 (permalink)
    Hello all, this is my first post although I've been reading the forums for a month or so.
    We've offered a Cuban sandwich at my restaurant in Coopersburg, PA. for about two years now. It is the most popular sandwich on the menu. I don't claim that it is totally authentic but my neihbor who is from Cuba claims to prefer mine. He says that the Cuban rolls contain lard and my roll is easier to digest.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/02/28 20:51:41 (permalink)
    Welcome aboard, Buggsy.

Without plugging your restaurant per se, would you be willing to give us the name?
    buggsy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/02/28 22:46:00 (permalink)
    Posted - 02/28/2004 : 20:51:41
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome aboard, Buggsy.

Without plugging your restaurant per se, would you be willing to give us the name?

Thank you. I wasn't looking for a plug, we will be closing soon. My partner and his wife are divorcing and she has forced a sale of the property and business. Like my lawyers say, bad deal.
    The name of the place is Baldwin House, it's located next to an abandoned train line that runs from Philadelphia to Bethlehem PA. It dates from 1857 and was named for the Baldwin locomotives that transported freight and passengers.

http://www.lvwhatscooking.com/restaurants/american/baldwin.html

The website is outdated but there is a neat picture of the original back bar with the tin ceiling.
    I put the Cuban sandwich on the menu because the ingredients are somewhat similar to the Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine of the area. It was one of the few right decisions I made about the place.
    Eric
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/07/26 23:32:38 (permalink)
    In New York there are cubans everywhere, some are really good, some really bad. Some of the best are in Dominican or Puerto Rican restaurants. It's really all about the pork, everything else serves to compliment the pork. Bread is important too, I don't know about Cuban bread, but a fresh hero(or whatever you want to call it...) is essential. Mustard and/or mayo, but always swiss cheese. Most places use ham, some salami, some chorizo, or a combination. Always pressed.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Cuban Sandwich 2004/07/27 03:58:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Eric

In New York there are cubans everywhere, some are really good, some really bad. Some of the best are in Dominican or Puerto Rican restaurants. It's really all about the pork, everything else serves to compliment the pork. Bread is important too, I don't know about Cuban bread, but a fresh hero(or whatever you want to call it...) is essential. Mustard and/or mayo, but always swiss cheese. Most places use ham, some salami, some chorizo, or a combination. Always pressed.

One of the great New York Cubans is served at[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2197']Margon[/url], a Dominican-run hole-in-the-wall around the corner from Times Square. We recently did a "Splendid Table" radio segment about it: [url='http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/whereweeat/stern_margon.html']Click here to listen[/url].
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1