Cuban

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Cuban 2004/11/30 10:37:14 (permalink)
There used to be a little neighborhood grocery store on Fitzhugh and Ross in Dallas that had pretty good Cubans. They would make them fresh when ordered in the little deli area in the back of the store. They'd ask for 15 minutes to prepare them. Alas the store burned to the ground last month and I don't know of any other place in Dallas to get a Cuban.

I wonder if the Cuban on the Hooters menu is a regional thing. I haven't been to Hooters in a while but I don't recall them having such on the menu.
suz1998
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Cuban 2004/11/30 12:44:50 (permalink)
Believe it or not, 7-11 actually has a pretty tasty cuban sandwich. You have to ask the clerk to grill it for you. They put it in a press just like the local Cuban shops do. I have them every once in awhile and they are darn good. Give it a try. (These are the 7-11s in FL, I am not sure all stores carry them..........)
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Cuban 2004/11/30 14:58:51 (permalink)
Mark, you might want to check out Ruby Tuesday. I had one at a RT in VA a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. That's the only suggestion I could make for you.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
RE: Cuban 2004/11/30 15:24:08 (permalink)
I would simply wait to visit Miami or Tampa to have a Cuban. I live here in Rhode Island, I love bbq, it doesn't mean I'm going to try one of the dreadful local bbq joints or the Yucky Bones chain, I'll simply wait for my next trip to Kansas City or Memphis, etc
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Cuban 2004/11/30 15:37:31 (permalink)
Believe it or not, Tampa does have restaurants that do not serve a great Cuban sandwich. Two weeks ago, we were late in arriving at our hotel and had to wait for friends who where flying in. We did not have very much time so asked the clerk at desk if there was a good place nearby to have a really good Cuban. She directed us to a restaurant quite near our hotel called "La Bamba". Their other food looked terrific but the Cuban was dreadful, in my opinion. It was loaded with too much cheap ham, a tiny dab of delicious roast pork, the pickle and cheese. It had not been pressed much at all and was barely lukewarm......ham in middle still cold." /> We were not happy...........the children did have some excellent chicken and rice so I am assuming that most of their food is good.
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Cuban 2004/11/30 15:50:36 (permalink)
For those traveling in the Carolinas, you can actually get a pretty good Cuban in Columbia SC at Cafe Sebi, just off I-77 at US 378. (Exit 9, near Ft. Jackson).

Cubans also pretty easy to make at home if you have good ingredients and a sandwich press or two-sided griddle. Publix supermarkets make very good Cuban bread in their bakery.

Remember - mustard ONLY...NO MAYO.

If you visit Key West, you have to try the Cuban at Cafe Paradise in Old Town - $6.00, and you'll NEVER be able to finish it.
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Cuban 2004/12/04 22:17:47 (permalink)
Whoa-lots of misinfo here- i live in miami for years- 1st "pavo" is spanish for turkey and in Miami there are sandwiches called the Miami sandwich(esp at The (original)Latin American Cafeteria on Coral Way-also the best place for real cubans-) which has ham, turkey, bacon lots of swiss cheese -grilled on press- then after its a gooey mess they pry it open on counter and add strips of lettuce sliced tomato and mayo-as Tony hte tiger says Theyre great. A real cuban is much thicker w/meats and Swiss cheese than the pictures show (yours too Michael, and definitely no lettuce and tomato) tho ingredients are right-sweet ham (to copy think boars head maple or westphalian though not as sweet, tavern ham is good subst.),roast pork marinated in mojo (a cuban/puerto rican sour orange, garlic,etc blend-Goya makes decent store version),lots of swiss cheese, a few pickle slices and cuban bread-yellow mustard optional-at home griddle w/weighted bacon press or flat pan lid w/ heavy can works fine. The Latin American Cafeteria also makes great breakfasts-cuban toast,cafe con leche,ham croquettas and cheap-w/eggs and french fries for $1.99 or $2.99 w/a pile of bacon. Its one compensation for living in Miami. If anyone needs details for next trip let me know-i'll make other suggestions- Miami's food has come a long way in recent past.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 181
RE: Cuban 2004/12/29 09:57:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Mark, you might want to check out Ruby Tuesday. I had one at a RT in VA a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. That's the only suggestion I could make for you.

" />
Thanks for the tip, CP, there is a RT in Athens only an hour to the east. Since posting my query, I read about the Cuban joint in Cincy which is not too much farther to the west. I must try one....
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Cuban 2004/12/29 10:25:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

If you can't get as far as Florida, here in Atlanta we've have the Havana Sandwich Shop (Buford Highway at Druid Hills Road) for some 30 years - very highly recommended!

There's another place in ATL which has great Cuban sand. which rivals and has been there as long as the Havana. It's a small grocery at 14th and Atlantic near Georgia Tech. You go in and go to the back where you place your order. Take out only.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1106
RE: Cuban 2004/12/29 10:31:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Ohio

Okay, gang, I can't stand it any longer, I have got to try a Cuban. We have a fair number of Hispanic restarants in Ohio now, but they are overwhelmingly southwestern/Mex, not Cuban.

Where is the closest Cuban joint for an Ohian that doesn't get to FL or NJ? I manage to travel to SC (going through WV,NC,SC) and to Chicago (going through IN, of course) about twice a year if that helps....

Hey Mark. I live in Columbus and I know that they have cuban sandwiches at The Starliner Diner on Cemetary Rd in Hilliard. I have not tried one (yet) but everything else I've had there is very good. At breakfast they serve toast made out of their cuban bread which is delicious. So the at least you know the bread will be authentic.

Speaking of great sandwiches, is Carl's Town House really closed there in Chillicothe? They had great cheeseburgers.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Cuban 2004/12/29 10:55:26 (permalink)
Another great place in Tampa, FL for Cubans as well as other deli food is Alessi's Bakery. Their Cuban is definitely made for two (or more) people. Get there and be prepared to stand in line.
Puerco Asado
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Cuban 2005/05/27 16:55:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by speechpeach

I love cuban sandwiches and the nearest place that I can find one (or think that I can is more than an hour away in Marietta) I don't think there is a cuban sandwich to be had in Chattanooga...

i am a native of tampa and i moved to the chattanooga area about 10 years ago. i am crazy for cuban food, i feel your pain, up until now the closest resturant that i knew of was the havana in atlanta off I85, it is very good, but may 1st a cuban resturant opened in chattannoga. Red bank to be exact. i have only had the cuban sandwich so far and it was very, very good. the owners are from tampa and are real cuban's doing it authentic. they make everything mostly from scrach b/c of the lack of products in the deep south. they get their bread from atlanta. everyday they have a special and all look great. i hope you can get the word out because i hope this place will make it. it will save me the terrible cravings i have. they are located just north of the red bank baptist church (the big one) on dayton blvd. you take 27N to the Morrison springs exit - go right to the T in the road - take a left and it is about a mile on your right. hope this helps
carlton pierre
RE: Cuban 2005/05/27 18:20:53 (permalink)
Hey, Puerco Asado, thanks for the post about cuban in Chattanooga. I'd love to look up this place in Red Bank. Would you remember the name of it?
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Cuban 2005/05/31 09:53:45 (permalink)
A couple years ago I was working in Miami's Little Havana section installing underground fiber optics at night, the truck driver delivering the manholes was cuban as was the lady cop on traffic control they would bring caffee cubana and pass around little paper shot glasses..talk about a KICK!! The locals were all friendly, even with the noise we were making at 3am, little old ladies (and some not so old) bringing out plates filled with food, the guys sharing shots of caffee and stinky black tiny cigars. There were a number of sandwich shops we ate at and not just sandwichs.Plantains fried in butter for breakfast, black beans and rice..so much more. The boss, my fellow foreman and myself were the only "white" men in the area, our crew being composed of 30 mexicans, I could probably fill another thread with the food experiences they provided..
carlton pierre
RE: Cuban 2005/05/31 12:39:03 (permalink)
30 years ago I worked in an asbestos paper mill. We had an "oven" that would shrink wrap plastic around the rolls of paper that were fed into it on a little train car. temp was approx 350 - 400 degrees so it was perfect for heating up TV dinners or cooking your own food in it. You simply had to run in and out of it so as not to be trapped inside of it. we had a half dozen or so Mexicans working there and they would cook all kinds of Mexican dishes while we were working throughout the day or night.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1