Cuban-Chinese R.I.P.?

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/09/25 21:51:31 (permalink)

Cuban-Chinese R.I.P.?

I was walking around the Chelsea area of Manhattan today and noticed that a classic, long-standing Cuban-Chinese diner on 8th Avenue was apparently closed and converted to a Mediterranean restaurant. I realized then that the 3 or 4 Cuban-Chinese places on W. 14 St. have also closed in the past few years. I don't know if any are left in NYC at all. So sad. R.I.P.?

4 Replies Related Threads

Gary Soup
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Cuban-Chinese R.I.P.? 2005/09/25 23:46:14 (permalink)
    How about La Caridad on the UWS?
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Cuban-Chinese R.I.P.? 2005/09/26 08:08:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

I was walking around the Chelsea area of Manhattan today and noticed that a classic, long-standing Cuban-Chinese diner on 8th Avenue was apparently closed and converted to a Mediterranean restaurant. I realized then that the 3 or 4 Cuban-Chinese places on W. 14 St. have also closed in the past few years. I don't know if any are left in NYC at all. So sad. R.I.P.?

Well, yes and no. I used to eat in Mi Chinita, the old diner on Eighth Avenue, regularly when I lived around the corner. But that was in the early '70s. I still went there from time to time during the ensuing years, but the place had totally run down, and the food was slipping.

I honestly don't remember any Cuban-Chinese places on 14th Street. There were a couple of others on Eighth. They fell victim to the gentrification of Chelsea. How one stands on the issue of romanticizing the raffishness of that old neighborhood versus its current prosperity probably belongs elsewhere, so I won't even offer an opinion.

There was a butcher shop on the avenue, maybe between 19th and 20th, that was operated by and for the Hispanic community. In the summer, men would sit on the sidewalk playing dominos and drinking beer, both pursuits I endorse, and flipping the bottle caps into the street on occasion, where they'd get run over by cars. The bottle caps got smushed into the sun-softened asphalt and by the end of the summer would form a lovely mosaic. Wish I had some photos of that.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Cuban-Chinese R.I.P.? 2005/09/26 08:25:19 (permalink)
    Last time I was in NYC (a few months ago) La Caridad 78 (aka Comida China Y Criolla) was still operating at Broadway and 78th.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Cuban-Chinese R.I.P.? 2005/09/26 08:29:47 (permalink)
    I remember hearing there were in few Cuban-Chinese in Jackson Heights too.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1