Cucumber Soup

Author
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
2004/08/09 13:45:56 (permalink)

Cucumber Soup

Anyone have a recipe for Cucumber soup- I have about a dozen giant cucumbers from my garden and need suggestions for using them in recipes- I've already made Thai satays with cucumber salad, gazpacho, and enough garden salad to choke a horse. I think I read a recipes some time ago for a cold cucmber soup but don't remember where.

Any suggestions would be appreciated-

2 Replies Related Threads

aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Cucumber Soup 2004/08/09 14:43:56 (permalink)
    I was JUST on Allrecipes.com and looking at their feature for Summer Soups on the first page. There are a couple of recipes for cucumber soup there. Also, I like to make Tzatziki (I may be spelling it wrong, though)It's a Greek cucumber/yogurt/dill/garlic yummy dip to serve with grilled pita bread - it's yummy. I'll post the recipe if you'd like!
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Cucumber Soup 2004/08/16 12:05:26 (permalink)
    Unless I had tasted this soup at La Bonne Soupe’s NYC bistro (which is where the recipe comes from), I would have never even tried a recipe with a quart of sour cream! Sometimes I add a little chopped fresh dill and garnish with a sprig of dill instead of the basil.

COLD CORAL SOUP

3 large cucumbers
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 cup tomato juice
    1 Tbs. tomato paste
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 quart sour cream
    1/ 4 cup dry sherry
    12 small fresh basil leaves for garnish

Peel the cucumbers and slice in half lengthwise. Spoon out and discard the seeds. Cut into chunks and place the cucumbers in a blender or food processor. Add the onion, tomato juice, and tomato paste, and process until pureed.

Pour the mixture into a large bowl, add the broth, then whisk in the sour cream and sherry, beating until well incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.

Lade into chilled soup bowl and float 2 or 3 basil leaves in each. Makes 4 to 6 servings

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1