Culver's coming to Florida

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3603
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 11:57:59 (permalink)
Pigiron

MetroplexJim

Yes, now that you mention them, Steak 'n Shake is indeed a worthy - and similar - competitor to Culver's.  We are "blessed" by both here in the northern 'burbs of Dallas; here in McKinney (USA Today's 'second best' "Place to Live in the U.S."), Mrs. Metro and I prefer our Culver's

We just got two Steak n' Shakes by me- one in Manhattan and one out in the suburbs (the location in Paramus that CC mentioned is pretty close to my home).  I took a look at them, and they don't seem any different than the literal hundreds of other fast-food burger places around Bergen County.  I can't imagine choosing SnS over a local place.  Why eat national chain fast-food when The Fireplace, The Iron Horse Tavern, and White Manna, are all within just a few miles of SnS?  There's even a Bobby's Burger Palace about 3 miles from there if you must eat in a mall (granted, BBP is in danger of becoming a national chain- but so far the burgers are still TOP notch).   

I won't even mention the idea of eating fast food in Manhattan.  

For you, that makes sense. For those of us who do not have local burger and shake joints, or those we do have are pretty crappy (the few we have left serve Sysco or GFS), it does not.

It never fails to amaze me how many people don't understand that not everyone has the variety of Roadfood to choose from where they live, and must make do with what they have.  I figure SnS can't be all bad, since it has been featured as a restaurant of the day here (something I don't agree with, incidentally, but I do enjoy their food).
post edited by felix4067 - 2012/12/14 11:59:07
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 12:09:15 (permalink)
SnS looks to be doing pretty good in NYC. I wish there was at least one that was not the Signature version. I'n my upcoming travels I look forward to giving both a try. They both seem to do plenty right in the fast food business...

http://www.zagat.com/buzz...yc-burger-wars-heat-up

The article mentions that SnS was part of the inspiration for the beloved Shake Shack. Good enough for a go...for sure.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/12/14 12:25:54
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 12:19:49 (permalink)
felix4067

Pigiron

MetroplexJim

Yes, now that you mention them, Steak 'n Shake is indeed a worthy - and similar - competitor to Culver's.  We are "blessed" by both here in the northern 'burbs of Dallas; here in McKinney (USA Today's 'second best' "Place to Live in the U.S."), Mrs. Metro and I prefer our Culver's

We just got two Steak n' Shakes by me- one in Manhattan and one out in the suburbs (the location in Paramus that CC mentioned is pretty close to my home).  I took a look at them, and they don't seem any different than the literal hundreds of other fast-food burger places around Bergen County.  I can't imagine choosing SnS over a local place.  Why eat national chain fast-food when The Fireplace, The Iron Horse Tavern, and White Manna, are all within just a few miles of SnS?  There's even a Bobby's Burger Palace about 3 miles from there if you must eat in a mall (granted, BBP is in danger of becoming a national chain- but so far the burgers are still TOP notch).   

I won't even mention the idea of eating fast food in Manhattan.  

For you, that makes sense. For those of us who do not have local burger and shake joints, or those we do have are pretty crappy (the few we have left serve Sysco or GFS), it does not.

It never fails to amaze me how many people don't understand that not everyone has the variety of Roadfood to choose from where they live, and must make do with what they have.  I figure SnS can't be all bad, since it has been featured as a restaurant of the day here (something I don't agree with, incidentally, but I do enjoy their food).

I assume that was directed my way (I only make that assumption because you quoted my post), and I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.  I absolutely do understand that not everyone has a great variety of non-chain restaurants to choose from.  That's exactly why I was wondering why anyone would choose a national chain when they DO have great non-chain options in the same vicinity.  
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 578
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 12:29:07 (permalink)
CCinNJ

SnS looks to be doing pretty good in NYC. I wish we there was at least one that was not the Signature version. I'n my upcoming travels I look forward to giving both a try. They both seem to do plenty right in the fast food business...

http://www.zagat.com/buzz...yc-burger-wars-heat-up

The article mentions that SnS was part of the inspiration for the beloved Shake Shack. Good enough for a go...for sure.

What's the "Signature version"?   There is a Steak N Shake in Fredericksburg, VA, about an hour or so away from us.  We have gone a few times when we are down that way.   How do I know if it's the "Signature version", and what does that mean? 

Thanks.

Glenn

felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3603
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 12:29:21 (permalink)
Pigiron 
I assume that was directed my way (I only make that assumption because you quoted my post), and I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.  I absolutely do understand that not everyone has a great variety of non-chain restaurants to choose from.  That's exactly why I was wondering why anyone would choose a national chain when they DO have great non-chain options in the same vicinity.   

It was directed at you, since this isn't the first time in this thread you've made a similar statement. Now that you've explained it, it makes more sense. But the impression I got was that you didn't think anyone should ever choose a chain for a burger for any reason whatsoever, since you didn't have to where you live. Like I said, now that you've explained it, it makes way more sense.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 12:30:02 (permalink)
Why not?

When you've been here forever...you eventually have a meal of two that's fast food.

Why would anyone buy Doritos when they live in NYC?

That's part of life. Especially when you have kids.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 12:57:04 (permalink)
Glen...I'm not sure what the difference is between the Signature version vs. a SnS.
I've never been a regular SnS. I will soon. The furnishings at the Signature look different in Paramus. The menus have more words and 100% this and that.

Ohhhh...and I'll gladly take a meal from Culver's or SnS before the BR Guest Bill's Bar & Burger philosophy package of look at us...mastering the fine art of simplicity. Aren't we genius and not above it all? Eh.

It's a faux hole-in-the-wall.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/12/14 13:17:27
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 13:49:32 (permalink)
Pigiron
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 13:52:58 (permalink)
CCinNJ

When you've been here forever...you eventually have a meal of two that's fast food.

No, I won't.

CCinNJ ]

That's part of life. Especially when you have kids.

It's absolutely NOT a part of life unless you choose it to be.  I have never and will never feed my child fast food.  I'm sure he'll get plenty of it in his life, but it won't come from me.  

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 13:57:47 (permalink)
You asked what's special?

it gets a thumbs up to that degree from Nick...It must stand far from the rest.
Pigiron
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 14:21:46 (permalink)
felix4067

Pigiron 

It was directed at you, since this isn't the first time in this thread you've made a similar statement. Now that you've explained it, it makes more sense. But the impression I got was that you didn't think anyone should ever choose a chain for a burger for any reason whatsoever, since you didn't have to where you live. Like I said, now that you've explained it, it makes way more sense.

Thanks, Felix.  If it means anything, my point often gets lost due to my rambling.  I think I communicate better in person than in the blogosphere (is that where we are?). 
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 16:47:28 (permalink)
mayor al

Root Beer Man,
You gotta take to Nashville to try some of the "HOT FISH SANDWICHES" there. Great local item.

Nashville, IN? I'll have to make a trip down that way. Bring the boy with me. The only southern Indiana town I've eaten in so far was New Albany, at the New Albany brewing company. We had one of their pizzas and it was pretty good. Definitely have to make the trip to Nashville.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 19:51:17 (permalink)
The other Nashville.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/14 21:05:52 (permalink)
Root Beer Man, Did you get your pizza from the NABC on Grantline Rd or at the Downtown NABC ?
The NABC in Downtown New Albany has a different menu. I am a fan of their Community Dark Beer.

p.s. it is the New Albanian Brew Company
michaelcarraher
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/15 11:25:39 (permalink)
Sooner or later, local favorites follow long-time customers down I-75 or I-95 (or to Arizona) and establish a beachhead for retirees.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/15 12:51:27 (permalink)
Uncle Groucho

Root Beer Man, Did you get your pizza from the NABC on Grantline Rd or at the Downtown NABC ?
The NABC in Downtown New Albany has a different menu. I am a fan of their Community Dark Beer.

p.s. it is the New Albanian Brew Company

I do believe it was the Grantline Rd location. Small strip mall place with a smaller brewery in it. I was quite pleased with the pizza. Definitely a step above your average fast food pizza. Lots of meat and not too heavy on the sauce. Don't remember what what beer my wife had, (I was driving so stuck to a soda), but she really liked it. Then again she's a fan of theirs and not sure shes run across a bad offering yet.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8650
Re:Culver's coming to Florida 2012/12/15 15:04:35 (permalink)
Thanks, Pancho-again, just have better places to eat at, in my area. I did enjoy their fish sandwiches. And Steak and Shake didnt make it here, at all.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1