Cup and Char pepperoni

Author
refrieddreams
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
2007/07/25 11:54:58 (permalink)

Cup and Char pepperoni

Who uses them? I am looking for a good small diameter thick cut pepperoni, know as a "cup and char"

Anyone have a good source?

Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Cup and Char pepperoni 2007/07/25 13:26:31 (permalink)
    This link http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,548.0.html is a thread on Pizzamaking.com about pepperoni which reads, in part, "I learned a while back that the best pepperoni is made by encasing meats within a special edible collagen casing. When the slices of pepperoni cook--as on a pizza--the heat causes the casing surrounding each pepperoni slice to shrink and cup up (this is often referred to as "cup and char"). This, in turn, causes the fat released from each slice of pepperoni to sit within the "cup" so that it doesn't run over the top of the pizza. This is also supposed to keep the pepperoni slices in place and minimize sliding of the pepperoni slices over a molten sea of cheese as the pizza bakes. The Ezzo pepperoni is an especially lean product compared with competitors' products and is said to be very good for staying in place on the pizza. Apparently not all pepperoni is made to have the collagen casing that produces the cupping effect. It has to be designed that way."

Read the thread for more info. Personally, I use Boar's Head brand and find that it cups and chars nicely if I don't remove the casing and make sure the pepperoni is on top of the cheese. pb
    refrieddreams
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cup and Char pepperoni 2007/07/25 13:37:29 (permalink)
    Does one of your suppliers carry Boars Head? I worked for them for a while before opening my store so that may be the answer for me.

How much do you pay?/ I want to know if my "hook up" is legit. If you want to respond off the board you can email me at thepassionofthecrust@yahoo.com

Thanks PB...i look forward to your response.
    refrieddreams
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cup and Char pepperoni 2007/07/25 13:38:36 (permalink)
    Also do you advertise Boars head on your menu? We have a Boars Head Roast Beef pizza...and the name seems to attract people.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Cup and Char pepperoni 2007/07/25 14:54:24 (permalink)
    My supplier is the local Publix supermarket. The cost is $3.19 for a 6 oz. stick. If I had a menu, I'd sure mention that I use Boar's Head but, alas, I'm just a home cook. pb
    refrieddreams
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cup and Char pepperoni 2007/07/26 14:10:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

My supplier is the local Publix supermarket. The cost is $3.19 for a 6 oz. stick. If I had a menu, I'd sure mention that I use Boar's Head but, alas, I'm just a home cook. pb

Haha cool man thanks.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Cup and Char pepperoni 2007/07/26 19:11:15 (permalink)
    For homemade pizza, I use the generic Spartan $1.19 a vacuum sealed packet (about 6 or 8 ounces, not sure, but plenty for a 16 inch pizza). Store also sells several varieties of stick pepperoni, but they're not wide enough diameter wise for my tastes. You can try your local butcher, there should be some there, let him know the characteristics your looking for. Also, any food service outlet will probably help you out also. Best of luck there..

(Here's the el-cheapo pepperoni in action):
    refrieddreams
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cup and Char pepperoni 2007/07/26 20:22:46 (permalink)
    Thanks man, that is a nice looking pie.

I think I am going to go with EZZO, I can get some for 2.36# I am currently paying 2.24 for a very high quality but not as nice as the EZZO.

Does anyone here use Ezzo? Check out Ezzo.com for a nice picture.

Thanks UV you da man!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1