Cure for the common cold?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/10/30 21:16:04 (permalink)

Cure for the common cold?

A lot of people eat chicken noodle soup when they have a cold or flu. And one hears stories about how mom fed someone chicken soup when they were sick, etc.
Did that happen to anyone, and did it make you feel better?

carl reitz

36 Replies Related Threads

911mom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/10/30 22:08:53 (permalink)
    When I was young my mom gave me Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup and the warmth just made me feel better. Now when I get a bad cold or sinus congestion I have either Hot and Sour soup or chicken broth with a little cayenne in it. Between the heat of the soup and the spices it breaks up any congestion that is in your head. Not to mention the steam that comes off of it hot off the stove.
    Just have a box of Kleenex handy
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3728
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/10/31 02:48:26 (permalink)
    Chicken soup has been hailed as "Jewish penicilin" (sp?), because it was often rendered as a cure-all by overly protective Jewish mothers. This is certainly more old wive's tale than healing potion, but sometimes, even psychosematic cures have some value.

But, unless the medical world has proven otherwise, there still is no cure for the common cold.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/10/31 06:35:42 (permalink)
    When I'm sick there's nothing I want more than my mom and to have some of her chicken noodle soup.

carl reitz
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/10/31 09:39:08 (permalink)
    When my daughter is sick, I always add some rice to a can of chicken broth and cook it until the rice is done. It always makes her feel better.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/10/31 10:18:30 (permalink)
    For me it depends on the cold. If I am queasy or my throat hurts then chicken soup all the way. If it a sinus and head thing then it's chili I want, hot as I can stand it. It seems to clear me right up.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/10/31 21:55:11 (permalink)
    During my recent battle with a major cold I went through two batches of homemade chicken soup. Do I think it helped my cold, no. Do I think it made me feel better, yes.

Since I am allergic toi the flu shot & am in a very high risk group, I think I'm going to have to resort something I did years ago. It always seemed to work. I'd never get a cold. Every week I'd make a pot of french onion soup & every day would have a small bowl. There is supposedly medical proof that there is something in onions that helps stave off the cold. At this point I'll try anything!
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/10/31 22:39:29 (permalink)
    Not a cure, but I can help with the sniffles. If your all plugged up take a click pen and press the clicker at the bottom edge of your nose where it meets your face. You'll find an indentation. Clic the pen on each side about 20 times, take steaming hot wash cloth and cover your face with it until it cools. This really helps make the sinuses drain.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 09:04:34 (permalink)
    I always make a steaming hot cup of Russian Tea and sip on it and inhale the steam from it. I also do the thing with hot washclothes on my face. My husbands Aunt used to cut an onion in half and sprinkle sugar on it and let it set overnight. The next morning, she would get the syrup of of it and make her children take it for coughs.
    I am sure that their breath smelled really good.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 09:11:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

I always make a steaming hot cup of Russian Tea and sip on it and inhale the steam from it. I also do the thing with hot washclothes on my face. My husbands Aunt used to cut an onion in half and sprinkle sugar on it and let it set overnight. The next morning, she would get the syrup of of it and make her children take it for coughs.

My grandmother always use to cut an onion in half and hollow it out a little. She would then pour a little honey and some whiskey into it and let it set a couple of days. That was our cough syrup. Our breaths may have smelled but we sure were happy
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 09:44:38 (permalink)
    When my husband is getting a cold, he always sends me out to this one restaurant to bring him back a pizza covered with very thinly sliced garlic cloves.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 09:48:55 (permalink)
    My Italian Nona's sure fire cure for a cold: acini di pepe cooked in home-made chicken broth. It's especially yummy when you're not sick!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 10:28:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

A lot of people eat chicken noodle soup when they have a cold or flu. And one hears stories about how mom fed someone chicken soup when they were sick, etc.

carl reitz

It never made me feel better unless it had a knaidle in it.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 10:35:59 (permalink)
    I don't have a food-based remedy, chicken soup notwithstanding. But, based on advice from my doctor, when I feel the earliest stages of a cold coming on, I take liquid echinecia (sic -- and sick tasting) every hour, vitamin C every hour, and a zinc tablet every hour, for a day or two. If I catch the cold early enough, it almost always stops it in its tracks.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 12:17:47 (permalink)
    Anything comprised of a hot liquid will serve as a panacea in two ways, the heat facilitates the opening of sinus passages, the liquid serves the same purpose as that of drinking lots of water etc: flushing the system of toxics. Adding garlic and onions to the chicken soup gives it additional antibiotic properties. Veggies and herbs add additional vitamins and nutrients, aromatic spices also tend to open up sinus passages, so yes it does go a long way in helping to lessen the symptoms of the common cold. Conversely, stay away from dairy products of any kind as they increase the production of mucus , tenfold.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 14:08:47 (permalink)
    Hey Redtressed,

I read several years ago that dairy products do not actually increase the mucous -- instead, what it does is 'coats' it, making it seem increased in volume and discomfort.

Still a good reason to avoid them then.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/01 14:17:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Pwingsx Posted - 11/01/2004 : 14:08:47
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Redtressed,

I read several years ago that dairy products do not actually increase the mucous -- instead, what it does is 'coats' it, making it seem increased in volume and discomfort.

Still a good reason to avoid them then.

I'm basing my statement on what the ENT people here and in Pittsburgh, have instructed their patients to avoid.
    spaniel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/06 10:57:39 (permalink)
    quote:

emsmom -- how do you make Russian Tea?

It sounds good and I'be godda code right now. I think I will pass on the onion syrup though!
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/06 12:09:37 (permalink)
    I've never found chicken soup to be helpful for a cold. As 911mom mentioned, spicy foods are best; they open up the sinuses, and I swear they can kill off some of the bug. I usually call out for Szechuan chinese food...and tell them to make it extra-hot. Those little red hot peppers they use are dynamite! Wash it down with two beers (the best medicine for many ailments), and you're guaranteed to feel much better.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/06 16:15:08 (permalink)
    Well, some goood homemade Jewish chicken soup always makes me feel better- physically and emotionally.

I'll share my dear sweet Mom's recipe with you all- I really miss her (and her soup)

Take a BIG soup pot and add the following- about 6 pounds of kosher hicken (preferably a pullet, cut into pieces and washed off. Add...4-5 pared carrots, broken into two-three pieces, 2 ribs of celery, two parsnips, pared, one large onion, cut in half, a few whole peppercorns. Cover the chicken and veggies with water and bring to a low boil, skim off fat and stuff...lower heat....

Cook on low heat for about 1 -1 1/2 hours. At this point add 2 chicken bouillion cubes (preferably TELMA Kosher chicken cubes), a good size bunch of washed off Italian Parsley and a Good size bunch of washed off Dill. push the herbs down into the soup and cook for another hour or so on low heat.

When done, remove the meat and vegetables and strain the broth through a strainer to make it clear.

You can serve the soup with cut up chicken,carrots from the soup, thin noodles, kluski noodles or rice if you like, but of course the ultimate comfort food is the Matzah ball.

While the soup is cooking, in a large bowl beat 4 eggs, 4 tablespoons of canola oil, 1/4 cup of seltzer. Add i cup matzoh meal, and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate mixture one hour. Bring large pot of water to boil and add some kosher salt. Form matzh balls the size of golf balls and place into boiling water. Cook, covered, over medioum heat for 30 minutes.

Hope it makes you feel as good as it makes me feel.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/08 08:57:03 (permalink)
    We have a mix that we make for when you just need a cup or two.
    1 cup instant tea
    2 cups Tang
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp cloves
    1 pkg. lemonade mix
    1 1/2 cups sugar

Mix together and put in storage container. To make a cup of tea, add 2 heaping teaspoons to a cup of hot water.

Also, if you are serving alot at a time, Make a pitcher of freshly brewed tea, add to this, 1 can pineapple juice, sticks of cinnamon and pieces of clove-Place in large coffee urn and let perk through a cycle
    quote:
    Originally posted by spaniel

quote:

emsmom -- how do you make Russian Tea?

It sounds good and I'be godda code right now. I think I will pass on the onion syrup though!
    spaniel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/08 17:46:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting the recipe. Hot, lemony things always make me feel better when I'm sick - maybe the extra vitamin C does some good? But I would never have guessed the ingredients from "Russian Tea" - I was thinking maybe it was a name for a hot vodka toddy!
    Andrew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/30 18:58:31 (permalink)
    quote:

carl reitz

Hey Carl

The only real defence your body has against colds are it's own immune system. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get 100% of the RDA of vitamins and minerals from diet alone. That's why it's estimated that 70% of Americans are taking nutritional supplements.

That being said - it's unfortunate that not everyone knows that the vast majority of supplements are inadequate and don't actually provide your body with the require nutrition it needs.

If you really want to boost your immune system, take a high quality nutritional supplement. Ever since I've been taking them, I can't remember the last time I've been sick. Plus a good supplement will give your body a natural energy source!

Good luck,
    Andrew
    a.mclellan@gmail.com
    carlton pierre
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/30 19:05:12 (permalink)
    Hey Andrew, welcome to roadfood. I hope you'll continue to post with us and share some good food ideas. I'm honored that you chose one of my posts to respond to.
    A couple of things. I take vitamins everyday and I assume that's what you mean by a "supplement". One question is, if not all vitamins/supplements are not alike, how can I tell the high quality ones from the low end?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/30 19:18:20 (permalink)
    quote:

Hey Andrew, welcome to roadfood. I hope you'll continue to post with us and share some good food ideas. I'm honored that you chose one of my posts to respond to.
    A couple of things. I take vitamins everyday and I assume that's what you mean by a "supplement". One question is, if not all vitamins/supplements are not alike, how can I tell the high quality ones from the low end?

The Sundancer has been eating "Centrium Silver" for several years. I cannot tell you if they do one bit of good but since I am on a eternal diet, I felt I should do something to aide my dietary habits. I cannot tell you if they are high quality but regardless, they are on my daily program. I hate to say this but this vitamin is for seniors.

Paul E. Smith
    Kknoxville, TN
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/30 20:03:40 (permalink)
    I've been sick, coughing for three long weeks.
    Honestly, when my throat hurts or my heads feels full, all I want is a Slurpee. They seem to cool everything down.
    And besides, they just taste sooooooooo nice.
    I also get my Vitamin C from those Whole Fruit popsicles.
    But obviously, none of this is working, so it's time for Campbell's chicken and stars with some garlic juice in it.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/11/30 20:32:07 (permalink)
    Some years back I read that scientists had actually found something in chicken soup that actually helped with colds and flu..seriously.
    wingandaprayer
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/12/01 11:45:00 (permalink)
    I have always been partial to Vietnamese chicken and rice noodle soup. The hot peppers will really open up your head. In Tucson, try Dao's on Wilmot.

For a cold and a hangover, nothing beats a bowl of steaming Meudo. Red or White? You can generate fights in these parts with a question like that.
    wingandaprayer
    Junior Burger
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/12/01 12:03:07 (permalink)
    That would be Menudo(sp). Sorry
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Cure for the common cold? 2004/12/01 14:47:52 (permalink)
    My cure:

Place hat on top of bed post at end of bed.
    Lie in bed, facing hat.
    Drink whiskey until you see two hats.

Seriously, I'm big on supplements. Been taking C, E, Selenium, and several other supplements for a few years now religiously. I seldom get sick. Of course proper hand washing and being careful of what you touch in public places helps prevent colds. Gosh how long before I start wearing Kleenex boxes on my feet a la Howard Hughes?" />
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1