Curiosity Sucks

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1354
Re:Curiosity Sucks 2011/04/25 13:52:13 (permalink)
Mama would pick out the bones and hand them to us as treats. We loved them.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:Curiosity Sucks 2011/04/25 15:53:08 (permalink)
Well, I  love seafood and I declare that one can make wonderful  salmon patties and  croquettes  out of  canned  salmon.  Our  family  loves them..........guess you need  just the right recipe!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15241
Re:Curiosity Sucks 2011/04/25 16:12:46 (permalink)
I really don't want to turn many of my Roadfood friends into screaming raging tyrants over a can of Salmon... So I will just say ,  To Each His/Her Own (in reference to that bone-filled catfood-in-a-can).
I will admit that I learned to love the deep-fried Clam Cakes and Fishcakes that a little fry-shop on the square in Haverhill, MASS. sold late into the night. I was working nights at the Post Office sorting Parcel Post, and, as the junior (read college kid) on that night crew, I made the coffee and snack runs at the break-time for our crew.  The Clam Cakes sold for $.40 each, so I could usually only get one as my lunch ration...but the fishcakes were just a Dime, so getting 4 of them for the price of one Clamcake was a real bargain. I would carry the tray with 15 or 20 cakes and the same number of sealed foam coffee cups across the square each night...I grew to love the fishcakes during that time.

I quit cooking for HoJo's when I got the appointment as a 'sub-clerk' for the P O. That was the only time, other than buying a couple of houses along the way, that I ever used the Veteran's preference points to help land the job. That was the best part-time work I did during those 'working my way thru college' years.  Fond memories, yeah, I do like Fishcakes, the crunchier the better !
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Curiosity Sucks 2011/04/25 16:58:32 (permalink)
mayor al

I really don't want to turn many of my Roadfood friends into screaming raging tyrants over a can of Salmon... So I will just say ,  To Each His/Her Own (in reference to that bone-filled catfood-in-a-can).
I will admit that I learned to love the deep-fried Clam Cakes and Fishcakes that a little fry-shop on the square in Haverhill, MASS. sold late into the night. I was working nights at the Post Office sorting Parcel Post, and, as the junior (read college kid) on that night crew, I made the coffee and snack runs at the break-time for our crew.  The Clam Cakes sold for $.40 each, so I could usually only get one as my lunch ration...but the fishcakes were just a Dime, so getting 4 of them for the price of one Clamcake was a real bargain. I would carry the tray with 15 or 20 cakes and the same number of sealed foam coffee cups across the square each night...I grew to love the fishcakes during that time.

I quit cooking for HoJo's when I got the appointment as a 'sub-clerk' for the P O. That was the only time, other than buying a couple of houses along the way, that I ever used the Veteran's preference points to help land the job. That was the best part-time work I did during those 'working my way thru college' years.  Fond memories, yeah, I do like Fishcakes, the crunchier the better !

Al, are those Codfish cakes? I think I had a topic about them some time ago, loved them as a kid, way better than Fish Sticks!

i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Curiosity Sucks 2011/04/25 20:58:00 (permalink)
chewingthefat
Al, are those Codfish cakes? I think I had a topic about them some time ago, loved them as a kid, way better than Fish Sticks!

Ode to Coddies...
"For many Baltimoreans whose childhoods hark back to
the 1960s and earlier, for example, the era in which they
grew up is entwined with the memory of a deep-fried fish
treat served up on a mustard-slathered cracker."
- Baltimore City Paper, 8-20-03
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Curiosity Sucks 2011/04/25 21:56:11 (permalink)
i95

chewingthefat

Ode to Coddies...
"For many Baltimoreans whose childhoods hark back to
the 1960s and earlier, for example, the era in which they
grew up is entwined with the memory of a deep-fried fish
treat served up on a mustard-slathered cracker."

- Baltimore City Paper, 8-20-03

Can I get an AMEN!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1