The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Curiosity Sucks

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 36 of 36
mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
Re:Curiosity Sucks Mon, 04/25/11 1:52 PM (permalink)
Mama would pick out the bones and hand them to us as treats. We loved them.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3661
    Re:Curiosity Sucks Mon, 04/25/11 3:53 PM (permalink)
    Well, I  love seafood and I declare that one can make wonderful  salmon patties and  croquettes  out of  canned  salmon.  Our  family  loves them..........guess you need  just the right recipe!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Curiosity Sucks Mon, 04/25/11 4:12 PM (permalink)
      I really don't want to turn many of my Roadfood friends into screaming raging tyrants over a can of Salmon... So I will just say ,  To Each His/Her Own (in reference to that bone-filled catfood-in-a-can).
      I will admit that I learned to love the deep-fried Clam Cakes and Fishcakes that a little fry-shop on the square in Haverhill, MASS. sold late into the night. I was working nights at the Post Office sorting Parcel Post, and, as the junior (read college kid) on that night crew, I made the coffee and snack runs at the break-time for our crew.  The Clam Cakes sold for $.40 each, so I could usually only get one as my lunch ration...but the fishcakes were just a Dime, so getting 4 of them for the price of one Clamcake was a real bargain. I would carry the tray with 15 or 20 cakes and the same number of sealed foam coffee cups across the square each night...I grew to love the fishcakes during that time.

I quit cooking for HoJo's when I got the appointment as a 'sub-clerk' for the P O. That was the only time, other than buying a couple of houses along the way, that I ever used the Veteran's preference points to help land the job. That was the best part-time work I did during those 'working my way thru college' years.  Fond memories, yeah, I do like Fishcakes, the crunchier the better !

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
        Re:Curiosity Sucks Mon, 04/25/11 4:58 PM (permalink)
        mayor al

I really don't want to turn many of my Roadfood friends into screaming raging tyrants over a can of Salmon... So I will just say ,  To Each His/Her Own (in reference to that bone-filled catfood-in-a-can).
        I will admit that I learned to love the deep-fried Clam Cakes and Fishcakes that a little fry-shop on the square in Haverhill, MASS. sold late into the night. I was working nights at the Post Office sorting Parcel Post, and, as the junior (read college kid) on that night crew, I made the coffee and snack runs at the break-time for our crew.  The Clam Cakes sold for $.40 each, so I could usually only get one as my lunch ration...but the fishcakes were just a Dime, so getting 4 of them for the price of one Clamcake was a real bargain. I would carry the tray with 15 or 20 cakes and the same number of sealed foam coffee cups across the square each night...I grew to love the fishcakes during that time.

I quit cooking for HoJo's when I got the appointment as a 'sub-clerk' for the P O. That was the only time, other than buying a couple of houses along the way, that I ever used the Veteran's preference points to help land the job. That was the best part-time work I did during those 'working my way thru college' years.  Fond memories, yeah, I do like Fishcakes, the crunchier the better !

Al, are those Codfish cakes? I think I had a topic about them some time ago, loved them as a kid, way better than Fish Sticks!

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
          Re:Curiosity Sucks Mon, 04/25/11 8:58 PM (permalink)
          chewingthefat

Al, are those Codfish cakes? I think I had a topic about them some time ago, loved them as a kid, way better than Fish Sticks!

Ode to Coddies...

"For many Baltimoreans whose childhoods hark back to

the 1960s and earlier, for example, the era in which they

grew up is entwined with the memory of a deep-fried fish

treat served up on a mustard-slathered cracker."

- Baltimore City Paper, 8-20-03

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
            Re:Curiosity Sucks Mon, 04/25/11 9:56 PM (permalink)
            i95

chewingthefat

Ode to Coddies...

"For many Baltimoreans whose childhoods hark back to

the 1960s and earlier, for example, the era in which they

grew up is entwined with the memory of a deep-fried fish

treat served up on a mustard-slathered cracker."

- Baltimore City Paper, 8-20-03

Can I get an AMEN!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 36 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com