Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen

Author
clarerich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2005/04/07 11:42:00
  • Location: Chino, CA
  • Status: offline
2005/04/07 12:11:39 (permalink)

Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen

I have just done extensive research that uncovered a 1950's long forgotten mascot used by Dairy Queen called Curly The Clown. He is visible in some present DQ stores (about 75 nationwide) that have the huge 6' x 16' murals of an event I tracked down in his honor to Hot Springs, Arkansas on July 11, 1951. Many Dairy Queens also had a 2004 poster celebrating the 100th anniversary of the ice cream cone and the picture I investigated is the same as the mural and used across the whole bottom of that poster in many many DQ stores nationwide. The mural is a remarkably clear photo that shows both Curly as a uniformed mascot appearing on stage and as the star of the show - a new animated sign out in front of that DQ. It appears that DQ tried to shed their children image for a more adult one and totally discarded Curly The Clown. They kept the name Curly and adapted it to Curly The Cone using an ice cream cone with a smiling face as their updated image some 50 years later. But the funny thing is McDonald's discovered that children play a huge role in who makes the buying decision so redirected their emphasis on children using a clown named Ronald - 10 years after the last appearance of "Curly."

Does anybody out there recall "Curly" or have more information or pictures for me? It will help supplement what has already been published. For full details of my story contact The Garland County Historical Society in Hot Springs and order the 2004 annual called The Record. My two year research adventure is on pages 52 to 73. (Cost with shipping is $21 for non-members). Reach them at: (501) 321-2159. Also if you know the location of the mural in your area please advise. Known stores with the mural so far are: Chino Hills, CA, Norco, CA, Yorba Linda, CA, Ontario, CA, California, MO, Toledo, OH. Colorado Springs, CO, and Westminster, CO
#1

10 Replies Related Threads

    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    • Joined: 2003/12/23 12:31:00
    • Location: Danbury, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/07 12:47:17 (permalink)
    That's news to me. As long as I can remember the DQ icon has been Dennis the Menace and the slogan - Let's all go to the Dairy Queen - Scruptdillyicious
    #2
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    • Joined: 2003/12/23 12:31:00
    • Location: Danbury, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/07 12:50:37 (permalink)
    found this online - it has an old photo

    http://www.paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/articles/2005/03/19/news/news03.txt
    #3
    clarerich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Joined: 2005/04/07 11:42:00
    • Location: Chino, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/07 13:08:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by efuery

    found this online - it has an old photo

    http://www.paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/articles/2005/03/19/news/news03.txt


    Thanks! This story is about me and meeting Mr. Ballard and I'm credited with supplying that photo in the article. The Paul's Valley reporter (no relation but we have the same last name) failed to tell me the story was now published. The article mentions there were only two mechanical clowns. There may have been others but only two are known. I hope someone comes forward to find the Paul's Valley one or knows what happened to it. I know exactly where the Hot Springs one is and it is in very poor condition. I hope to have it restored and hoisted to it's former glory at the same location. Dairy Queen advised me they may not allow that to happen. Still nogotiating with them. But thanks again for finding this for me. By the way Dennis The Menace was late 50's and early 60's. Curly was long before then.
    #4
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    • Joined: 2004/12/28 23:37:00
    • Location: dowagiac, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/11 18:12:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clarerich

    I have just done extensive research that uncovered a 1950's long forgotten mascot used by Dairy Queen called Curly The Clown. He is visible in some present DQ stores (about 75 nationwide) that have the huge 6' x 16' murals of an event I tracked down in his honor to Hot Springs, Arkansas on July 11, 1951. Many Dairy Queens also had a 2004 poster celebrating the 100th anniversary of the ice cream cone and the picture I investigated is the same as the mural and used across the whole bottom of that poster in many many DQ stores nationwide. The mural is a remarkably clear photo that shows both Curly as a uniformed mascot appearing on stage and as the star of the show - a new animated sign out in front of that DQ. It appears that DQ tried to shed their children image for a more adult one and totally discarded Curly The Clown. They kept the name Curly and adapted it to Curly The Cone using an ice cream cone with a smiling face as their updated image some 50 years later. But the funny thing is McDonald's discovered that children play a huge role in who makes the buying decision so redirected their emphasis on children using a clown named Ronald - 10 years after the last appearance of "Curly."

    Does anybody out there recall "Curly" or have more information or pictures for me? It will help supplement what has already been published. For full details of my story contact The Garland County Historical Society in Hot Springs and order the 2004 annual called The Record. My two year research adventure is on pages 52 to 73. (Cost with shipping is $21 for non-members). Reach them at: (501) 321-2159. Also if you know the location of the mural in your area please advise. Known stores with the mural so far are: Chino Hills, CA, Norco, CA, Yorba Linda, CA, Ontario, CA, California, MO, Toledo, OH. Colorado Springs, CO, and Westminster, CO.


    I can't remember anything about Dairy Queen having a mascot, I was born in 1951, I don't remember "curly the Clown" at all! And "Dennis the Menace" didn't become a mascot for Dairy Queens until I was a adult hanging out in bars, not at Dairy Queen.

    But Dairy Queen wasn't real big in the 1950's in Southwestern Michigan! I think there were 2 Tastee Freezes to every 1 Dairy Queen, in this area!

    Any body knows if Tastee Freezes still exist today? I can remember Tastee Freezes in the following Michigan towns and cities: Buchanan, Cassopolis, Edwardsburg, St. Joseph, South Haven, Three Oaks, Paw Paw and Waterviliet,
    #5
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    • Joined: 2003/12/18 13:59:00
    • Location: Columbia, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/11 19:18:23 (permalink)
    Tastee Freeze is still around. There is a nearly new Tastee Freeze at the Sweet Springs exit on I-70 in Missouri, at the 166 mile marker.
    #6
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    • Joined: 2003/12/18 13:59:00
    • Location: Columbia, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/11 19:19:40 (permalink)
    Make that 66 mile marker.
    #7
    clarerich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Joined: 2005/04/07 11:42:00
    • Location: Chino, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/11 23:23:29 (permalink)
    In the Southern California area Tastee Freeze is resurfacing as a partner with Wienersnizel and share many of their same stores. They even share those little square discount coupons on mail insert flyers Where 2 of the 8 are for Tastee Freeze and the rest are for various Chili-Cheese Dogs, Chili-Cheese fries, etc. I live 40 miles east of Los Angeles and their are two such combo stores nearby, one in Ontario and the other in my hometown of Chino. By the way I am from Soutern Michigan originally. I was born born in Battle Creek and lived in Augusta until I was 4 but never recall any Tastee Freezes in our neck of the woods. The first I saw were out west in Albuquerque where I ended up growing up. Thanks for your input. - Clare
    #8
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    • Joined: 2004/12/28 23:37:00
    • Location: dowagiac, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/12 18:54:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clarerich

    In the Southern California area Tastee Freeze is resurfacing as a partner with Wienersnizel and share many of their same stores. They even share those little square discount coupons on mail insert flyers Where 2 of the 8 are for Tastee Freeze and the rest are for various Chili-Cheese Dogs, Chili-Cheese fries, etc. I live 40 miles east of Los Angeles and their are two such combo stores nearby, one in Ontario and the other in my hometown of Chino. By the way I am from Soutern Michigan originally. I was born born in Battle Creek and lived in Augusta until I was 4 but never recall any Tastee Freezes in our neck of the woods. The first I saw were out west in Albuquerque where I ended up growing up. Thanks for your input. - Clare

    I think they were in your "neck of the woods" back then. I remember that they advertised on TV Statio WKZO, channel 3, out of Kalamazoo, Michigan...That was just a hop, skip and jump from You
    #9
    clarerich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Joined: 2005/04/07 11:42:00
    • Location: Chino, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/12 19:25:14 (permalink)
    The Tastee Freez stuff is interesting a was started by the same buyer of Dairy Queen. it is detailed in a book called Fast Food. But I wanted to get everyone back to helping me with Curly The Clown. So far no new leads but I appreciate knowing the article about me appeared in the Oklahoma paper and they now have sent me copies of the actual newspaper.No one in the Pauls Valley area has contacted me from the printing of the article on March 20th, so no one apparently knows when the mechanical sign went and no one has pictures of that DQ. I also just solved another mural mystery for another large mural used by Dairy Queen. It turns out to be taken in Staten Island, New York on or about 1952 or 1953. Anyone interested in seeing any of these pictures or murals should contact me and I'll e-mail them to you. All are beautiful black and white photos. I have one from Staten Island and four from Hot Springs that DQ released tome for my research. One of the Hot Springs ones is what is used in the Pauls Valley article. - Clare
    #10
    chocolatecandez
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Joined: 2005/04/13 20:22:00
    • Location: Lakeland, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Curly The Clown - Dairy Queen 2005/04/13 20:34:14 (permalink)
    Wow! That IS news to me. And a laugh! Thx!
    #11
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1