Current POLL

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5095
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/07 19:22:09 (permalink)
In all of Dallas we have only 2-1/2 Jewish deli's. One pretty damn good (Deli-News). One just, OK (Gio's). And one that, half thinks they're a Jewish deli (Cindy's).

So of course, I want a Katz's in Dallas!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3741
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/07 19:23:38 (permalink)
We are fortunate to have a wonderful Jewish deli in Baltimre............everything there is terrific. 

On the sad side, we have no outstanding  pizza (my opinion)  so I voted for Pepe's Pizza  which I just love.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/07 19:23:55 (permalink)
brisketboy

I'm gettin' a headache.

LMAO!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/08 00:29:51 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

CC, you're a naughty girl.

Thank you.

Buddy

You're welcome.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10445
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 08:32:56 (permalink)
Right now, I'm wishing we still had the rating system, because BuddyRoadhouse has some five star posts in this thread!

Those are six fine Roadfood destinations in the poll, but Stroud's was an easy choice for me.  I can't even imagine having a Stroud's near home.  I probably would have been dead by 30, but would have gone out with a smile on my face!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4237
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 08:47:40 (permalink)
Twinwillow

In all of Dallas we have only 2-1/2 Jewish deli's. One pretty damn good (Deli-News). One just, OK (Gio's). And one that, half thinks they're a Jewish deli (Cindy's).

I think Cindy is a native of Vietnam. 

I miss the Deli-News that was just off Preston, south of the LBJ.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 08:54:49 (permalink)
Thank you BuddyRoadhouse!!

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 09:17:44 (permalink)
I can't understand complaints about "not knowing" the places in the poll.  My goodness, if we're on Roadfood we are also on the internet!  Do a simple search if you are curious.

The only one I didn't know was Central Grocery.  Searching on Roadfood:  http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=122  Now I know.

Russ Byler, my HS chemistry teacher, always used to say "The mark of the educated man is not what he knows; it is that he knows where and how to find that which he does not know".
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 09:22:00 (permalink)
BTW:  if I were making the list I would have included Prince's Hot Chicken (Nashville) and Wilber's (Goldsboro, NC). 

In their absence I voted for Stroud's.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 15:05:55 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse   I followed my own advice and ordered a single taco that my wife and I split.

Best decision I ever made.    

1 taco...2 people...was the taco that huge...or that bad...???

Even though I'm mostly Irish, I'm laughing with a Mexican accent...

I've heard it said that IF California had a regional food, it would be the taco...and I'm good with that, amigos...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/02/09 15:08:55
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6474
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 16:09:04 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

BackRhodes
Probably hundreds of "Pepe's Pizza" in North America...assuming that folks would know about a particular "FAMOUS CT Pizza Joint" is presumptive at best, IMHO... 

But they're not assuming that just any old "folks would know about a particular 'FAMOUS CT Pizza Joint'".  They're assuming that Roadfood folks will know about Pepe's Pizza, and, except apparently for you, they are correct.  Even this provincial, hometown oriented, Chicago Style Pizza lovin' boy knows about Pepe's.

Judging by your first post in this thread, I think you've missed the point of the poll.  It is a fantasy wish list of some of the best Roadfood joints that are highly unlikely to ever open up outside their original locations.  That is the point.  None of them are chains, and that is what fuels the fantasy.  Stroud's fried chicken in Chicago?  I'd eat there twice a week!  Louis Mueller in my back yard?  Sign me up for sausage and brisket the rest of the week.  Voodoo Doughnut?  Let's go for dessert after fried chicken and 'Que!

So just pick one and dream.

Buddy

Then I want a BURT'S Pizza here in Indiana with a particular Saturday server included.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 16:10:57 (permalink)
CCinNJ

Ok say we are on a site devoted to music. There is a poll about songs. Somebody says they do not know any songs by The Rolling Stones or The Beatles. What is the solution?

Do as I did and google the places to post so others can enjoy the information.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4276
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 17:37:41 (permalink)
BackRhodes

BuddyRoadhouse   I followed my own advice and ordered a single taco that my wife and I split.

Best decision I ever made.    

1 taco...2 people...was the taco that huge...or that bad...???

The second option.

Buddy
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 18:14:19 (permalink)
Hey the research thing worked! I know who the server was! I know who the server was!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4276
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 18:26:29 (permalink)
Keep it under your hat.

Buddy
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 18:31:37 (permalink)
I'll file it with the kimchi secrets I picked up recently...from Taebong kimchi factory.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10332
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/09 22:58:37 (permalink)
Polls may come and polls may go but don't forget-----
There's still a lot of Poles in Cleveland!!!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/10 10:23:16 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

I think Cindy is a native of Vietnam. 

I miss the Deli-News that was just off Preston, south of the LBJ.

Cindy is Vietnamese. She started with one small place in Plano and now has about five "deli's" including a branch downtown. Btw, the guy who used to own Gilbert's works for her.

Deli-News first started at Arapaho and Hillcrest. Then moved to Frankford just east of the Tollway. They've been at their current location, Preston and Campbell for about 8 years.
And, they're still the best in Dallas!
post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/02/10 10:25:07
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/10 16:13:42 (permalink)
I still feel that this poll in question was created, and aimed at "insiders", and was too specific for places that somebody "back east" might (or might not) know about these places...

Sorry folks, but I still DO see a level of "elite", and those who are non elite here...

I'm just a normal guy...trying to learn more...but what I come away with is an impression that some come off as "how stupid you are to not know of these places" or "how dare you not be as knowledgable as us"...

How could I *not* know of these places...???

I'm SO far west that we think of RENO as being "back east"...

I've never heard of those places...never been to them...and what I get is "how dumb of you to not google them" ...

I think in the future I'll just ignore the polls...I'm not a member of the all knowing food elite...many of the elements here are geared to folks back east where due to severe population density there's more food places to talk about, and more closely packed together with less driving distance...
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/10 17:22:23 (permalink)
BackRhodes

If my post about googling came across as calling you dumb, my sincere apologies, not my intention.

Part of RF is the discovery and how we get there.

I used to travel a lot and know many of these places from being there.  I have also read and used the RF books since I discovered them in the late 80's.

If I come across a place I am not familiar with, I search it here or google and try to find a website for the place.  MANY of the small mom & pops dont have a web page, but many are learning and you see them popping up more and more.

As for being far to the west, I was once so far south in LA we thought NOLA was in the NORTH.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/10 20:40:58 (permalink)

"Downhome instead of upscale...???  More good & funky instead of "exotic"...???  Plate lickin' good, not "fru fru" food...??"

You got the Roadfood concept. Have a good trip!

billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2445
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/11 01:01:05 (permalink)
Hey BackRhodes!  Welcome to Roadfood (somewhat belatedly)! 

BackRhodes 

I still feel that this poll in question was created, and aimed at "insiders", and was too specific for places that somebody "back east" might (or might not) know about these places...
I'm curious as to what you mean by "specific".  Could you elaborate?  NOTE:  The RF Poll has a very limited layout so it's just about impossible for the team to create a poll that will include a massive multitude of choices.  Do any restaurants come to mind that you wish you had seen in the poll?  It seems you feel there is an "east" or East Coast" slant to the site.  Only 2 of the 6 in the poll are on the East Coast though being from California I could see how you would view 5 of them as "east".  There will always be a place or places that some people have never heard of.  Nine years ago I had never even heard of the word "Roadfood" but I have learned an awful lot since I joined in 2005.  Much of that has been through asking questions, getting involved and playing an active role in my own Roadfood education.   I carry a notebook with me and if I see a place, read about a place I write it down for future reference and add it to a Master List I keep of places I'd eventually like to try.  

The debate about whether or not there is an "eastern" slant to the site crops up every so often.  For my 2 cents the answer is yes...and no.  Most if not all of the Roadfood team is based in the Northeast so they spend a lot of time there and as a result they have more opportunity to explore those regions.  However, they also travel extensively and explore food ALL across the U.S.  Lots of Digest reports, Trip Reports and Restaurant Reviews (there are 118 reviews in CA and a number of them in Berkeley and San Francisco) from all states.  So there is definitely West Coast representation! This might be a great opportunity for you be be an ambassador for the local food/restaurants in your area.  If your region is not a destination (or is a town on the way to elsewhere) or just doesn't get a lot of visitors, letting people know about the great eats there and the great sites/activities might be just the thing to get RFers interested in checking it out.  To paraphrase Aerosmith:  "Roadfood is a journey, not a destination".  We all can learn and discover something new.  

Sorry folks, but I still DO see a level of "elite", and those who are non elite here...
Could you elaborate on this?  I get the impression that you feel excluded from the "discussion", as it were.  An aside:  I started distance running about 2 years ago and when I showed up to my the first big race (the one which got me interested in the first place!) I looked around the starting line area and saw thousands of runners who looked in far better shape than me, who had clearly been running for years and decades, and compared to the 7 months I had been running I began to feel overwhelmed and out of place.  Many groups were speaking to each other fluently in terms like "negative splits", "PR", "IT Band", etc that I was just beginning to learn and I asked myself, Do I really belong here?"  

My point is that I didn't feel as though the running community was excluding me in any way but rather that what I was feeling was a reflection of my own self doubts and insecurities.  We all have them and that's okay.  The trick is to move past them.  I certainly don't think of myself as a Roadfood elite but I do feel I know a great deal about food.  I constantly have friends say to me, "How do YOU know about that restaurant?" or "How do YOU know about that regional food?".  My reply is always the same.  "Food is something I love and care about very much and I make it my business to know about these things!"  My friend say they get hungry when I talk food with them because I get really excited and passionate about it when I describe it.

Elite seems to me more a "state of mind" than anything.  Roadfood is the kind of site where you get out of it what you put into it.  I'm glad you posted but I wish you had asked more about those places in order to learn more about them rather than assume you were being left out.  The more you learn the less you'll feel left out.  If I came across a poll that listed restaurants or regional foods that I had never heard of my gut reaction wouldn't be that the "elite" were excluding me but rather, "Wow, what's THAT about?  I should find out more about it!"  And yes, that has actually happened to me on several occasions!

I'm just a normal guy...trying to learn more...but what I come away with is an impression that some come off as "how stupid you are to not know of these places" or "how dare you not be as knowledgable as us"...
How could I *not* know of these places...???
Certainly there are many people in the world who are not into food and there are plenty of people new to Roadfood every day.  It wouldn't be surprising to hear that you hadn't been to any of the restaurants in the poll.  Traveling is not cheap and very few Roadfooders can do it on a regular basis.  I think what was surprising to some of the posters is that you have been a member for about 8 months and have posted over 400 times and yet had not heard of any of the restaurants listed in the poll and they are 6 of the most widely discussed and commonly known restaurants on the site.  I have relatives who live in a very small town, no TV, computer, cell phone or answering machine in their lives and they like it that way.  They've never heard of Roadfood and don't really travel beyond their neighboring counties.  If they somehow saw the RF poll and had never heard of those restaurants it wouldn't be surprising.  

I'm SO far west that we think of RENO as being "back east"...
That's just geography.  You're only a few mouse clicks away from all of the food/restaurant information you could ever want.  

I've never heard of those places...never been to them...and what I get is "how dumb of you to not google them" ...
I don't think they were suggesting that you Google places you had never heard of but rather that you Google them once you HAD heard of them (i.e. - after you saw them listed in the poll).

I think in the future I'll just ignore the polls...I'm not a member of the all knowing food elite...many of the elements here are geared to folks back east where due to severe population density there's more food places to talk about, and more closely packed together with less driving distance...

I really don't feel that there is a food elite here but a group of people who are super passionate about Roadfood.  If you ever have any questions about food or restaurants on the site there are plenty of folks more than happy to help out an I'll answer anything I can as best I can.  All you have to do is ask.  If there are unheralded places in your area you feel merit more attention or you'd like to see on the site, e-mail the Roadfood team and let them know.  If you can, grab a camera and submit a review/trip report of places you've been that you think your fellow RFers should know about.  You've got the power, you just have to decide to use it!  

Just some info I thought you'd find helpful:
Pepe's Pizzeria Napoletana - New Haven, CT
Katz's Delicatessen - New York, NY
Central Grocery - New Orleans, LA
Stroud's - Kansas City, MO
Louie Mueller's - Taylor, TX
Voodoo Doughnuts - Portland, OR
Take a look at the restaurants section (by state) and drool over the pics!

I saw your post in the Eat & Greets section about the CA food tour.  Awesome!  I hope you can find some folks to get together and check it out.  I've found a lot of times that it becomes necessary to put together a fairly specific itinerary to get people on board otherwise everyone waits for someone else to put it together.  

post edited by billyboy - 2012/02/11 01:21:00
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/11 05:12:19 (permalink)
Howdy BillyBoy...
Thankyou for your thoughts...

I've attempted to post reviews with pictures, but apparently one of the requirements I can not meet is using yoyr REAL name...I'm a public figure in the broadcast industry, and while I don't mind using a psuedonem, I don't use my real name in public...I keep a bit of a buffer...it's not like I'm a big time broadcaster, but absolut eprivacy i sa concern and goal, so according to a moderator I can't post conventional reviews unless I use my real name...(I also do part time railroad work, and that's a rough crowd, just like loggers and cowboys)

Too bad,,,there are a few places I've visited, and have made review like comments elsewhere in the forums, including photos when I can...

I'm trying to contribute, even though I'd prefer to be able to do a normal review post...

I was also told that unless I absolute RAVE about a place for the initial review it won't get posted...according to the very limited choice of ranking, it wasn't high enough...even though I thought it was a better than average ranking...

I won't lie and give a place a false ranking...the palces I wanted to post a review on were about a 7 on a scale of 10, which IS better than average, but there was only 4 or 5 choices presented during the ranking process to create a review...and unless it's the very TOP ranking it won't be posted according to Bruce Blimes...

I mentioned to the  moderator that I though this method of so few choices was limiting...a on esize fits all might be an ill fit at times...

What would I consider places as deserving the very TOP ranking without hesitation...???

The Officers Club at Treasure Island, the Officers Club at the Presidio (both of which no longer exist), the Officers Club at Alameda NAS, the Officers Club at Fallon NAS, and the Officers Cub at Beale AFB...  

There are a few other places of note IHMO that somebody a few hours south of me pronounced as mediocre...

As for the west coast food safari, I'm still asking for suggestions, and have continued to do research on my own...

It's hard to do an itinerary without knowing if folks would rather do a quick "eat it & beat it" or a more relaxed journey with sight seeings time included...I asked for opinions but really didn't get a response...and while I'd like to do this with others, be sociable and meet folks, I have no problem doing this solo either...

I sometimes watch DDD and make a list of places he visits along certain routes or cities...

I've organised chili contests in the desert before, but have not put a road trip together...

Have camera...will travel...

billyboy
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/11 06:43:56 (permalink)
BackRhodes, I hear ya on the privacy thing.  I'm an actor though lack of privacy has never been an issue for me.  Not quite hitting the red carpet...yet!  They do ask for the real name so they can verify the legitimacy of the reviewer as there are people out there in cyberspace with an axe to grind and it'd be near impossible to know who wrote a review with an agenda in mind.  I write reviews from time to time but I'm more into Trip Reports as I can discuss more at length and get more creative with my writing as well as incorporate interesting non-food topics and photos into the reports.  The running has become a co-theme in most of my reports in the past couple of years.  

When I first started on Roadfood Bruce hold told me the same thing about the first review being a rave.  I get it as the idea is to inform people who come to the site about places that Roadfooders would REALLY want them to try as opposed to places that are hit or miss.  Now, follow-up reviews can be positive or negative.

As far as a food safari, that might be a bit much for people who've never met you.  They may just want to get together at a local RF establishment where everyone can relax, get to know one another over a meal and then see if the whole group or part of the group gels and wants to meet up again for a longer adventure.  Perhaps toss out 2-3 dates that work for you and suggest a particular restaurant and see who bites?

I've gotten to know many people on here by posting a lot about my food adventures (solo and with friends) and replying to others' posts about their trips.  Once you get to know people on the site and they get to know you, you'll find those with whom you have the same tastes and share common interests.  I think that is how a great many people on this site came to know one another.  I found that Buffetbuster, ayersian, The Travelin' Man, cecif and many others enjoyed some of my writing and I've enjoyed theirs and as a happy result we have had the opportunity to break bread on many occasions.  

Happy Eating!!
post edited by billyboy - 2012/02/11 06:47:11
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8520
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/11 18:45:11 (permalink)
Somewhere someone said they had a headache- I do, too, now. I learned about sooooooooooo many well appointed restaurants here, so I followed a link or looked them up indepedantly.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8115
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/11 21:05:14 (permalink)
What I've found interesting is that except for a few well known names, those that actually write reviews that get published... I've never heard of these people.

Meaning, either I don't know their on screen IDs or these people only do reviews and don't participate in the forums.  Really doesn't matter but I like knowing who the reviewer is.

I submitted one review, one time.   I don't like defeat.

Maybe if I didn't end sentences with prepositions.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/12 01:20:28 (permalink)
I nominate Peter Luger to represent in the next fantasy poll.
billyboy
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/12 17:21:21 (permalink)
In my Roadfood fantasy, all of the following places would come to NYC and they'd all have their best rendition of their classic foods and of course the atmosphere would come right along with it because hey, it's my fantasy.  Naturally, the prices would be the same as they are in their region of origin.  Like a skier who mentally runs the course in his mind before his first run I have imagined myself at these places and pictured what I would order many, many times...FOOD NERD!!
1.)  Bobcat Bite - Santa Fe, NM
2.)  Prince's Hot Chicken - Nashville, TN
3.)  Lexington Barbecue #1 - Lexington, NC
4.)  Philippe the Original - Los Angeles, CA
5.)  Zingerman's Deli AND Zingerman's Roadhouse - Ann Arbor, MI
6.)  Blue Ash Chili - Cinncinati, OH
7.)  Hell's Kitchen - Minneapolis, MN
8.)  Primanti Bros. - Pittsburgh, PA
9.)  Tony Luke's - Philadelphia, PA
10.)  Al's #1 Italian Beef - Chicago, IL (While Broooklyn style roast beef sandwiches are mighty tasty, Italian beef sandwiches look so intense I think I'd swoon)
11.)  Doe's Eat Place - Greenville, MS
12.)  Gray Bros. Cafeteria - Mooresville, IN (I've never eaten in a cafeteria style restaurant)
13.)  Hoosier Mama Pie Co. - Chicago, IL
14.)  Nick's Kitchen - Huntington, IN
15.)  Bon Ton Mini Mart - Henderson, KY
16.)  Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen - Chapel Hill, CA (I have yet to find a respectable biscuit in the Northeast!)
17.)  Hominy Grill - Charleston, SC
18.)  White House Sub Shop - Atlantic City, NJ (What I wouldn't do for a decent, reasonably priced sub shop in Manhattan)
19.)  Jimmy Buff's - West Orange, NJ (I'd probably be here 2x a week if it was in NYC, so maybe it's a good thing that it is so far away)
20.)  Burt's Pizza- Morton Grove, IL 

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/12 17:38:06 (permalink)
That is an awesome list for NYC Billyboy!! We could use a lobster roll for under $20...if we could add to that all-star list.

Oh...and two Ted's!

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard St. Louis
Ted's Hot Dogs Buffalo

Just not together.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/02/12 18:18:07
billyboy
Re:Current POLL 2012/02/12 18:45:04 (permalink)
Hey CC, there is a lobster roll for about $14-$15 at Luke's Lobster.  They have a four locations in Manhattan (East Village, Financial District, UW and the UES).  I've been to the first two and they're pretty good.  They do the Maine AND Connecticut style rolls!  As much as I wanted to put it on the list, even in a fantasy world, the restaurateur can't recreate the atmosphere outdoors on the water. 

I've never been to Ted Drewes but I do love the Shake Shack and from what I understand Danny Meyer based his custards and "concretes" on the ones he had growing up in St. Louis. 
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1