The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Current POLL

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 69
BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
Current POLL Thu, 02/2/12 10:57 PM (permalink)
Looking at the current poll (which food place you'd want in your town?)...

Is the "Pepe's Pizza a CHAIN store...???  Is it someplace "back east"...???

I know of a Pepe's that used to exist on Telegraph ave in Berkeley many decades ago, and I iamgine a name like that is fairly common one...

Is Louis Mueller the sausage guy in Texas...???

I live in the boonies and have never been to or really know anything about the choices listed...

My suggestion for those who have the power to create polls: is to make the choices more common, more widely known by "non experts"...

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Current POLL Thu, 02/2/12 11:04 PM (permalink)
    Pepe's is a FAMOUS CT Pizza Joint
    http://www.pepespizzeria.com/

Louis Mueller's Place
    http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/

I chose Mueller's cause i can get good chicken, decent pizza but BBQ forget it.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
      Re:Current POLL Thu, 02/2/12 11:11 PM (permalink)
      These topics about the poll questions remind me of an episode of Twilight Zone.

Henry Beamis wanted time to read his beloved books. When the bomb hit and he stumbled upon the library full of books...happy day!!! All the time in the world and plenty of books. But then...his glasses broke.

BackRhodes

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 12:11 AM (permalink)
        Beamis was played by Burgess Merideth... excellent episode...

I've seen Muellers on TV shows...never been there, but it IS on my "to go to" list...

Probably hundreds of "Pepe's Pizza" in North America...assuming that folks would know about a particular "FAMOUS CT Pizza Joint" is presumptive at best, IMHO... 

Perhaps those that create polls will take this into account...it limits the universal appeal of a poll that might be read by folks around the world...

<message edited by BackRhodes on Tue, 02/7/12 12:13 AM>

saps

• Total Posts: 1553
          Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 12:40 AM (permalink)
          Pepe's pizza is probably one of the best known pizza places in the country.  It's been on several TV shows, highlighted on several food websites, listed in Zagat's guide and moreover, is pretty widely known on the Roadfood website.  A simple Google search takes you right to it.

BackRhodes

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 12:56 AM (permalink)
            Hummm....Cowboy hillbillies like me don't own a "Zagat's Guide" ... 

Why would I google a place I've never heard of (think about that for a moment) ...

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
              Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 12:57 AM (permalink)
              BackRhodes

Probably hundreds of "Pepe's Pizza" in North America...assuming that folks would know about a particular "FAMOUS CT Pizza Joint" is presumptive at best, IMHO... 

But they're not assuming that just any old "folks would know about a particular 'FAMOUS CT Pizza Joint'".  They're assuming that Roadfood folks will know about Pepe's Pizza, and, except apparently for you, they are correct.  Even this provincial, hometown oriented, Chicago Style Pizza lovin' boy knows about Pepe's.

Judging by your first post in this thread, I think you've missed the point of the poll.  It is a fantasy wish list of some of the best Roadfood joints that are highly unlikely to ever open up outside their original locations.  That is the point.  None of them are chains, and that is what fuels the fantasy.  Stroud's fried chicken in Chicago?  I'd eat there twice a week!  Louis Mueller in my back yard?  Sign me up for sausage and brisket the rest of the week.  Voodoo Doughnut?  Let's go for dessert after fried chicken and 'Que!

So just pick one and dream.

Buddy

CCinNJ

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 1:02 AM (permalink)
                Burgess Meredith was also the Penguin. If " The Penguin" was in the pole that would be a potential poll stumper.

BackRhodes

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 1:19 AM (permalink)
                  Buddy...I'm just about as far west as you can get without getting wet...

Does being a part of this webby site as a "roadfooder" automatically confer divine knowledge about places  you've never heard of or been to...???

Perhaps for some...I'm just a country bumpkin...not an all knowing roadfood Elite...

Stumpers...yup...polls can be created that include stumpers nobody understands, which seems pointless...oh well...
                  <message edited by BackRhodes on Tue, 02/7/12 1:22 AM>

CCinNJ

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 1:31 AM (permalink)
                    Nah...just a riddle. More than one Roadfood Penguin Drive-in. There are fun things to learn about places on Roadfood. No matter where you live....you can explore Roadfood.

BackRhodes

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 2:11 AM (permalink)
                      I agree...lots to explore and learn...I'm just amazed at the assumptions that are sometimes made...

CCinNJ

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 2:26 AM (permalink)
                        Ok say we are on a site devoted to music. There is a poll about songs. Somebody says they do not know any songs by The Rolling Stones or The Beatles. What is the solution?

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 2:29 AM (permalink)
                          Rhodey,
                          You're still missing the point.  Yes, a lot of the members here come in with existing knowledge of well known Roadfood joints.  But none of us knows it all.  Even the Sterns are on a constant journey looking for new places worthy of the Roadfood designation.

If not for my association with the people on this site, I might never have known about Sokolowski's or Babushka's Kitchen in Cleveland.  I would never have found out about Speed Queen BBQ or Sobelman's in Milwaukee.  Tessaro's and Fat Head's Saloon in Pittsburgh?  Without buffetbuster, I would have missed out on one of the best hamburgers of my life, not to mention the South Side Slopes Sandwich (Google it).

The point is, we all come here to exchange ideas and experiences about Roadfood.  If you're automatically going to take the attitude that you're a "country bumpkin" (your words, not mine), so why bother learning anything about anything, then what the heck are you doing here?  If you're stumped by something here, or anywhere, then heck yeah look it up.  Or ask the question right here.  But don't do it in such a way that makes the whole rest of the world out to be crazy just because something seems odd to you.  Try a genuine, heartfelt inquiry that shows you're really interested in expanding your horizons.

From your initial post: "Make the choices more common, more widely known by "non experts"...  Dude, that's exactly what the overwhelming majority of Roadfooders are trying to avoid.  We don't want the common and widely known.  We're looking for the off-the-beaten-path-nobody-knows-about places that are unique, one of a kind experiences.

And before I start hearing all that nonsense about chasing people away, believe me, I want nothing more than for BackRhodes to stick around so he can learn about places like Pepe's and Stroud's, and maybe someday check 'em out first hand.  And if, for some reason, you can't get to those places yourself, at least enjoy them vicariously through other people's reports.

I mean, that's the point of being on a site called "Roadfood", isn't it?

Buddy

BackRhodes

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 2:50 AM (permalink)
                            I appreciate the energy you put into your reply...but...

Unless there is a certain level of "commonality" then it possible becomes jibberish...

If "Roadfoodies", et al (as you say) are trying to AVOID choices more common, more widely known by "non experts" ... then aren't you just "preaching to the (select) choir"... and bypassing novices, newcomers, and those who've never heard of these places...???  In what way would that be inclusive...???

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 3:44 AM (permalink)
                              It is inclusive in that it is a community of people with a common interest.  We all come to that community with different backgrounds and different levels of knowledge in that common interest.  We try to share information so as to expand our own personal knowledge and experience.  If you reject the sharing of that information, because you didn't already possess that knowledge, then it is your loss and you have no business criticizing others who are willing to put a little effort into the process.

How are we "preaching to the choir"?  That expression insinuates that everyone is on the same page with the same beliefs and no dissension.  That is certainly not the case here.  As I said, we do have a common interest, but each of us has different life experiences, and approaches Roadfood from a different starting point.  In my previous post, I mentioned six places that I had no knowledge of prior to reading about them here at Roadfood.  Those six places are just the tip of the iceberg; a handful of examples of the dozens, perhaps hundreds of Roadfood restaurants that I have learned about thanks to this site and the people who populate it.

If you're spending time on this site, then presumably you have an interest in the topics being discussed here.  Even if you're a newcomer or novice, the only reason to be here is to get past that novice stage.  But it can't all be spoon fed to you.  If you haven't heard of the places listed in the poll, and you're interested in Roadfood, then you need to do a little research.  Do you seriously want to be mollycoddled?  You need to contribute to the expansion of your own knowledge base.  You don't even need to go very far to get the information: All six of the poll choices are reviewed and discussed extensively right here on Roadfood!

BackRhodes, I sincerely hope you will someday get something of value from this site.  But in looking at your profile and some of the threads you have started, I'm starting to wonder if you're not the single most successful, longest running troll to ever visit Roadfood.  "What's for LUNCH?", "What's for BREAKFAST?", and (dear God, I love this one) "What's on TV?" are three of your more recent threads.  And most astonishingly, you got a string of legitimate answers from some long time posters!!!  Holy mackerel!  Maybe I am the one who's got it backwards!

The more I look at this, the more I think you're playing us.  But if you are here with a genuine interest in joining the conversation and being part of the community, you'll need to knock off the "Poor little me, I don't know nuthin', so drop the level of conversation to my speed" attitude.

Buddy
                              <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Tue, 02/7/12 3:46 AM>

CCinNJ

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 3:54 AM (permalink)
                                I cried real tears when Mrs. Cho found her daughter on Smile, Donghae!!!

Stroud's uses soybean oil in a cast iron pan. I saw that on Man vs. Food.
                                <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 02/7/12 3:58 AM>

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 4:18 AM (permalink)
                                  Anna Laker looks a little young to be Dong-hae's mother, don't you think?  They both look like teenagers.

See what a little internet research will get you?

Buddy

CCinNJ

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 4:41 AM (permalink)
                                    The fact that they were both raised in Brooklyn and went to Korea just for a skating match without the accents??? That is something.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
                                      Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                      I'm gettin' a headache.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
                                        Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 9:19 AM (permalink)
                                        BackRhodes

Hummm....Cowboy hillbillies like me don't own a "Zagat's Guide" ... 

Why would I google a place I've never heard of (think about that for a moment) ...

You would "google" it to find out about it!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                          Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                          Well said, Buddy!  I wish I could be as articulate as you.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                            Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                            I tried to check Olive Garden and then Foster's Freeze but the poll wouldn't let me. Damn.
                                            BTW, Buddy you wouldn't have found out about In-A-Tub without this site either.:) Maybe Smokestack Lightening will weigh in. 
                                            <message edited by 1bbqboy on Tue, 02/7/12 10:55 AM>

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                              Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                              I went with Strouds as buffetbuster has photos from there in one of his trip reports a few years back that I still pull up and drool over from time to time!

CCinNJ

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                                I vote for Stroud's as long as they bring their own chickens. Something special about those chickens vs. NYC chickens.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                                  You know, at least according to their T-shirts, they choke their own chickens.

It's true!

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                                    bbqboy,
                                                    You are correct, it was a discussion of In-A-Tub Tacos here on Roadfood that had me eating the bright yellow, powdered "cheese" one fateful Kansas City afternoon.  I followed my own advice and ordered a single taco that my wife and I split.

Best decision I ever made.

Buddy

CCinNJ

Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                                      It takes different strokes to move the world!!

Stroud's it is!

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2249
                                                        • Location: Kennewick, WA
                                                        Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                                        If you live in the Pacific Northwest, Deli's are far and few between. My vote was for Katz's Deli. That would be my pick in a heartbeat, You can't get that kind of food in my area, and I haven't been yelled at in a deli for over 30 years..............I miss it.................pnwc

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                          Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                                          CC, you're a naughty girl.

Thank you.

Buddy

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                                                            • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Current POLL Tue, 02/7/12 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                                            pnwchef

If you live in the Pacific Northwest, Deli's are far and few between. My vote was for Katz's Deli. That would be my pick in a heartbeat, You can't get that kind of food in my area, and I haven't been yelled at in a deli for over 30 years..............I miss it.................pnwc

That's ok, Jewish Delis are far and few  between in NYC too.  If you want to get yelled at now - good luck- that doesn't happen  any  more unless you piss off the African American, Hispanic or Asian counter person or waitstaff.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 69

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com