Custard in Northern VA?

Author
sebori
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2005/03/19 16:37:11 (permalink)

Custard in Northern VA?

Does anyone know a good place to great custard in Northern Virginia?

18 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/03/19 22:09:18 (permalink)
    Well, you're a few years late for the Frozen Dairy Bar in Arlington. Gone in the name of progress.

While there might be a place closer, Carl's Custard on Princess Anne Street in Fredericksburg is an institution. Before heading to Carl's though, you might enjoy a stop at Allman's BBQ on Rt.1 in the heart of Freddiesburg.

Check in here www.custardlist.com There are 4 places in NOVA listed.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/03/23 14:11:12 (permalink)

Frozen Dairy Bar is OPEN FOR BUSINESS on Route 50 in Arlington, VA. I stopped by there for a cone last Tuesday. After the original location was bulldozed for a chain drug store, they moved out to Merrifield, Va for several years. They are now back one block west of their original location, in a new strip mall on the same side of the street.

signman
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/03/23 20:32:27 (permalink)
    jm, that's great news. What does the new place look like? Any neon?
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/03/24 21:15:33 (permalink)
    I had no idea custard was in this area. That's great news. Is it really common, or would I have to hunt pretty good to find custard places?
    scenicdive
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/05/14 21:03:37 (permalink)
    That's good news about the Frozen Dairy Bar! Just got back from Kline's in Manassas, down the street from the site of the Bobbitt incident. My girlfriend loves Kline's (no connection) but give me the FDB or Carl's. They're all soft-serve ice cream - I'm pretty sure. For custard there's a chain called Milwaukee Frozen Custard with locations in Chantilly, Manassas and I believe Reston or therabouts. Pretty good stuff but not much atmosphere - again: give me Carl's or the old FDB.
    The Colonel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/06/04 04:35:07 (permalink)
    You must go to the Del Ray Dreamery on Mt. Vernon Avenue in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, Virginia. Run by a woman from Wisconsin, the frozen custard is excellent, and they have a "flavor of the day" that runs for a day or two, always has vanilla, and recenly added chocolate on a daily basis.

I get custard here a couple times a week, and take it home.

http://www.delraydreamery.com
    laynel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/08/02 09:13:23 (permalink)
    The Frozen Dairy Bar on Rt. 50 in Falls Church is roughly in the same spot as the old one that was knocked down to build the strip mall on that site. The machines in the Frozen Dairy Bar are the original machines from the old building, but the place is being run by a new owner. The last of the original owners were, as I recall, three siblings who inherited it from their parents. Either they didn't have children or their children didn't want to continue the business. When the old building was knocked down, the siblings moved over to a strip mall on Lee Highway, just below Merrifield and in the next block up from the cemetery. They were there in the early-to-mid 1990s (I almost caused my then-boyfriend to crash the car when I looked over and shrieked "FROZEN DAIRY BAR IS THERE!"). However, apparently few of their old customers knew they were there, and they closed. A couple of years later, there was an article in the Post that a woman who had enjoyed FDB when she was a child had purchased the machines (I think they're called Electro-Freeze?) and reopened over on Rt. 50.

Farfel280
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/08/02 09:32:21 (permalink)
    Kline's Freeze on Rt 28 between Centreville and Manassas is very good. But, if you're serious about it, Carl's in Fredericksburg is hands down the best I've ever had. You can find it on hollyeats.com under Eating The South. We go once a year on our way home from Williamsburg and we look forward to it all year long!
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/08/02 12:09:24 (permalink)
    The custard list is missing Classic Custard, Rt 1, Freeport,ME.
    Just down the road a bit before you get to downtown Freeport and LL Bean.
    Brianw68
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/08/14 15:25:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sebori

Does anyone know a good place to great custard in Northern Virginia?

Yes I do. In Chantilly, VA, there is a place called Milwaukee Custard. It is in the shopping center on Route 50 about a east of the Route 50/Route 28 interchange. It is in the same shopping center as Shopper's Food Warehouse and a KFC/A&W (in the parking lot). They have a couple locations in the DC/Virginia area (one in Manassas) but I have only been to the Chantilly location since it is about 5 minutes from my home.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2005/10/27 21:32:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Colonel

You must go to the Del Ray Dreamery on Mt. Vernon Avenue in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, Virginia. Run by a woman from Wisconsin, the frozen custard is excellent, and they have a "flavor of the day" that runs for a day or two, always has vanilla, and recenly added chocolate on a daily basis.

I get custard here a couple times a week, and take it home.

http://www.delraydreamery.com

In a fit of corporate legal enforcement by Integrated Brands, the owners of Edy's Dreamery Ice Cream, the DelRay Dreamery, one of my favorite establishments for frozen custard has had to change its name (see email below).

They are staying open and will operate under a new name. Congratulations Edy's Dreamery. Now when I think of the name Dreamery, I will think of your ice cream ... and move to pick up the next one in the aisle.

Del Ray Dreamery
    < drdreamery@yahoo.com> to update, wisconsin
    More options Oct 12
    Well, it's been five years and the jig is up. Turns
    out the term "Dreamery" is trademarked and owned by a
    company called Integrated Brands. You may be familiar
    with their Edy's Dreamery line of fine ice creams.

So, we're looking for a new name and looking for ideas
    from you. Submit your ideas soon, we need to make a
    decision now! If we pick your creative,
    not-already-trademarked-by-someone-else name, you'll
    win a year of free custard.

We're sad to be losing our tried and true name, but
    that's the only thing that's going to change!

So get thinking! We're excited to see what you come
    up with - just don't use the word "Dream". Email your
    suggestions to liz@delraydreamery.com

- Liz
    Snow1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2007/01/27 02:41:48 (permalink)
    Another thumbs-up vote for Carl's from me! Summer's not summer without a trip to Carl's and winter's not winter without Carl's being on vacation. I miss it so (down here in TX).

Snow1
    ddemaree
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2007/01/29 13:12:32 (permalink)
    Neilson's in Vienna, Del Ray Dreamery, in the Del Ray section of Alexandria are two of our favorites!
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2007/01/29 13:34:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jm199

Frozen Dairy Bar is OPEN FOR BUSINESS on Route 50 in Arlington, VA. I stopped by there for a cone last Tuesday. After the original location was bulldozed for a chain drug store, they moved out to Merrifield, Va for several years. They are now back one block west of their original location, in a new strip mall on the same side of the street.

Jim say it ain't so!....The Frozen Dairy Bar open for busines again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved (love) that place, and now it's back near the old location!!!! Time for a trip to Arlington!
    gwenrynk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2007/06/19 12:55:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rebeltruce

quote:
    Originally posted by jm199

Jim say it ain't so!....The Frozen Dairy Bar open for busines again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved (love) that place, and now it's back near the old location!!!! Time for a trip to Arlington!

My old boss took me there a few years ago and it is GREAT!

Does anyone know exactly where Neilsons in Vienna is located? i think that may be closer than the Frozen Dairy Bar. Of course that could be lethal information... lol

thanks in advance!
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2007/06/20 16:05:33 (permalink)
    Neilson's is on Church Street maybe one block before Lawyers Road. If you take 123 away from Tysons Corner you'll pass the Southern States, Whole Foods, Vienna Inn etc. A few more blocks and make a left and a left and that's Church St.

Neilson's is very good.

Thanks,

Kevin
    earstation
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2007/07/13 09:11:27 (permalink)
    The problem with the majority of the custard stands in Virginia I've been to is that they are all using premade custard mixes from vendors and no longer make their own. The quality is inferior to the stuff I used to get in my youth and it's the same stuff you can get at McDonalds.
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Custard in Northern VA? 2007/07/17 16:03:42 (permalink)
    earstation - I'm curious if you've been to Neilson's and if so, if you think it's inferior. I think it's much better than what you can get at Rita's (damning with faint praise) or even at Meadow's which I think is also much better than Rita's. I've never seen them mix up the stuff at Neilson's but it seems likr the real deal to me, though maybe not as much butterfat as a place Kopps's from Milwaukee.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1