Custom Made Fiberglass Concession (HELP)

Author
BryanBagwell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2011/05/21 20:23:02 (permalink)

Custom Made Fiberglass Concession (HELP)

Hi everone i am fairley new to this site,I posted a question in other forums and was told this is where my questions could be answered (PLEASE HELP).
1-Where or who can make me a custom fiberglass or composite type concession for festivals i plan on doing next spring? I know its way to late to put my dream of traveling food vendor into action this year,figured this way if the fab costs a fortune i will have plenty of time to get prepared.
2-Is there a web site,book,that i can find the best festivals in texas or the south to sell at,i know this comes with alot of experence,I guess what im asking is the most sucessful or biggest attendance? We have a festival called the watermelon thump in Lulling Tx that i think is perfect festival alot of kids and not one of those downtown Austin festivals where all you find is beer drinking,If anyone can answers any of these questions i would really be thankful.

6 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Custom Made Fiberglass Concession (HELP) 2011/05/22 09:23:03 (permalink)
    First I hope your dream comes true, and wish you the best but vending is not a get rich quick operation. It involves long hours, working in what ever the weather brings and many disappointments along with some rewards. 

That said and mark my words, "DON"T LOOK FOR A BIG EVENT WITH NO EXPERIENCE." Do a dozen or so small fest then you'll know what your doing right and what you need to change. Even if you have some restaurant experience, (which you didn't mention) you'll find vending is an entirely new ballgame. Start small and work your way up, it'll pay in the long run.

Now as to a custom made unit, again and sorry, (not good news), I'd strongly consider finding a used trailer and work it for awhile before I spent a ton on a custom made operation. You may not like this business and all the work and stress involved, lots of people don't and that's why there are so many used trailers and for that mater so much used restaurant equipment for sale across the country. And the used equipment (including trailers) can be bought for pennies on the dollar if you shop carefully.
    Best of luck
    Jack
    JacksSnacks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    Re:Custom Made Fiberglass Concession (HELP) 2011/05/22 20:17:02 (permalink)
    Get a pop up tent , some fold up tables, and  used propane appliances( fryer or grill etc). Have a banner made at a sign shop or make your own. If you plan on doing a big event prepare on needing water , and take as much dry stuff ( flour etc ) as you may need. This will keep down on refridgeration and you can use coolers to have cold things with ice. This will keep you startup costs to a minimum. Usually the health dept will issue "temporary health permits" for the duration of the event. So look at adding $50 per event for this. Decide what it is you are going to sell and find the easiest method of preparing it and work on buying enough to make a profit, but nothing more, if they say expect 20,000 expect 2000 and selling to 200. Do not fall into the trap of buying/storing/cooling/holding/Taking home/throwing away- more than you need.
    Good luck!

post edited by JacksSnacks - 2011/05/22 20:22:49
    BryanBagwell
    Junior Burger
    Re:Custom Made Fiberglass Concession (HELP) 2011/05/24 09:50:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice,all of you and for posting the pic to give me an idea,I just wanted that would stand out and give me an edge,and the part about take it slow easy,and start small that's what my wife told me also,,,and I guess I just had to hear if from the pros,I will take you advice,thanks this site has been great for me so far thanks alot all of ya,Bryan
    JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Custom Made Fiberglass Concession (HELP) 2011/05/25 07:14:41 (permalink)
    We been doing this for over three years and still shy away from big events. In Atlanta a decent size event can cost between $600 to $2000 just in up front fees. Small events will give you time to work out the bugs and may even be extremely profitable. We did a small new one day event last week and sold over $850 in shaved ice and lemon shake-ups. Biggest thing you have to learn is how to set up for production. We have been adjusting our setup since we purchased our trailer.
    BryanBagwell
    Junior Burger
    Re:Custom Made Fiberglass Concession (HELP) 2011/05/26 10:02:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Jody,I really appreciate the advice and $850.00 sounds great,Is it possible to make this a full time business?That is what I would like it to become in time,Really thanks for the pointers keep em coming .
    jmurphy2298
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Custom Made Fiberglass Concession (HELP) 2014/08/26 14:10:14 (permalink)
    Bryan, I know it has been a few years. Were you able to locate anyone who could make the fiberglass ice cream trailer that you were looking for?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1