The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Customer phone charging?

charlescuston

• Total Posts: 2
Customer phone charging? Mon, 01/14/13 5:49 PM (permalink)
Hello everyone,
   just wanted to ask a few questions of the restaurant owners.

• How do your customers charge phones in your restaurants, if at all?
  • Do they plug in their own charger?
  • Do you provide one?
Thank you for your time!
-Charles

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3296
    Re:Customer phone charging? Mon, 01/14/13 5:55 PM (permalink)
    I'm not an owner, but I am a customer frequently low on battery if that helps. I have never had a restaurant or anywhere else provide a charger (with the exception of my friend who tends bar and has the same phone I do, but that's her personal charger). I've never asked anywhere I wasn't a regular, but I've almost never been allowed to plug in anywhere there wasn't an obvious outlet within reach of the public. Always with my own charger, though.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
      Re:Customer phone charging? Mon, 01/14/13 9:16 PM (permalink)
      Quit checking your Facebook page for updates every 30 seconds!

felix4067

Re:Customer phone charging? Mon, 01/14/13 9:39 PM (permalink)
        Me? If so, I love how you assume you know anything about my habits. If not, I apologize for being immediately offended by your assumptions.

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
          Re:Customer phone charging? Mon, 01/14/13 9:47 PM (permalink)
          LOL

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
            Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 12:15 AM (permalink)
            Funny you should mention that. On my most recent trip, I found myself low on battery power. We stopped for dinner on the way to the airport and was able to secure a seat near a wall outlet where I could charge my phone. I have a dual power charger (can be used in a cigarette lighter in the car or a traditional wall outlet) and it fits nicely into my camera bag. No one in the restaurant batted an eye.

I use my "phone" not only for phone calls and text messages, but as a point-and-shoot camera (don't have to take out the bulky DSLR), my GPS, my timepiece, my newspaper, personal entertainment device, and occasionally, it makes a good coaster. That said, it drains battery juice like there's no tomorrow. So, I don't leave home without the charger.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 6:08 AM (permalink)
              We have no problem with people charging their phones in the Starbucks cafe. We dont provide chargers, but i have one on me and have let customers use it if needed.

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
                Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 9:20 AM (permalink)
                I guess that will be the next thing at the Donut shops the next time they renovate, a plug at every table. Funny they don't seem to have thought of it yet.

buffetbuster

Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 9:23 AM (permalink)
                  I've never needed to recharge my phone in a restaurant before, but the nice people at Gilman's Fairlee Diner in Vermont once let me recharge my camera battery while I was eating.  Needless to say, I would never expect to use someone else's charger.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                    Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 9:23 AM (permalink)
                    Hotels have already started adding more plugs in rooms. I still carry my own portable strip for the rare instances when there are not enough plugs in the room (or when the plugs are inconvenient). It would seem likely that as new restaurants are built, more electrical outlets will be added to the design.

buffetbuster

Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 9:36 AM (permalink)
                      .....especially restaurants that cater to business travelers.

Ice Cream Man

Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 9:55 AM (permalink)
                        LOL, next year someone will find this thread and be amazed that they found a place that serves food with no where to plug in their phone. They'll be so put out by the lack of outlets they will swear they'll never return.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                          Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 9:59 AM (permalink)
                          I was recently at a hotel bar, watching ND get its a$$ whooped.  I was doing a lot of texting with my fellow ND haters and my battery up and died.  The bartender plugged my phone in below the bar, right where I was sitting.  Nice guy, nice perk, nice tip.

Even the Philly Airport, where they used to cap off outlets, are opening charging stations.  

Our phones are soooo much more than phones these days. I just wish I could get one with a camera than didn't take blurry pictures.

Anyplace that allowed me to plug in would be on my most favored list.
                          <message edited by joerogo on Tue, 01/15/13 10:01 AM>

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2235
                            Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 10:17 AM (permalink)
                            joerogo

I was recently at a hotel bar, watching ND get its a$$ whooped.  I was doing a lot of texting with my fellow ND haters and my battery up and died.  The bartender plugged my phone in below the bar, right where I was sitting.  Nice guy, nice perk, nice tip.

Even the Philly Airport, where they used to cap off outlets, are opening charging stations.  

Our phones are soooo much more than phones these days. I just wish I could get one with a camera than didn't take blurry pictures.

joerogo : Says,  Our phones are soooo much more than phones these days. I just wish I could get one with a camera than didn't take blurry pictures.

I heard that Tom is having a Food Photography Class at Chubby's next June. Tom says everyone will soon be able to take great quality pictures as he does. I have learned from Tom, if the eyes look red in a picture, its BBQ sauce............pnwc

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                              Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 10:30 AM (permalink)
                              I've never had to charge my phone at a restaurant, I can't remember the last time I brought it in to one. I got rid of my smart phone a year ago and haven't missed it one bit. I suppose if I did have one that I used all the time, I'd be happy a restaurant provided outlets to charge it with.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
                                Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                felix4067

Me? If so, I love how you assume you know anything about my habits. If not, I apologize for being immediately offended by your assumptions.

Felix.....it was a generalization, to anyone that replied to the thread.
                                I surf, I talk, I text, I take pics & maybe a short video or two.
                                 When I'm on the road I leave the phone plugged into the car charger, problem solved, for me anyway.
                                Guess it all depends on the phone too, I have an iphone now, seems like I get better battery life out of this phone than any of the others that I have owned.

felix4067

Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                  chefbuba

felix4067

Felix.....it was a generalization, to anyone that replied to the thread.
                                  I surf, I talk, I text, I take pics & maybe a short video or two.
                                  When I'm on the road I leave the phone plugged into the car charger, problem solved, for me anyway.
                                  Guess it all depends on the phone too, I have an iphone now, seems like I get better battery life out of this phone than any of the others that I have owned.

Then it was me being prickly, and I apologize. When I'm at work, we use our phones instead of the crappy radios they provide in limited quantities. It's not uncommon for me to burn through both batteries (I have a case with a battery in it) twice on a concert day. Mostly it's due to working in arenas and theatres, whose open steel construction inhibits signal so our phones are almost constantly searching for signal, but also because smartphones tend to go through batteries like there's no tomorrow. Sometimes charging while on a meal break is my only option...while I can remove the case and charge it, there's not always a safe place to do that (leaving it sitting on the floor against the wall on a loading dock is just asking for trouble).

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                                    Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                    If someone asks, we do allow them, that said, I only remember one request.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                      Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                      I was having connection problems at home for about a month, I went to Panera and many of their tables along the wall have an outlet. They are pretty good about letting you sit for a few hours but I always eat lunch or take home some bread as well.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                        Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 3:51 PM (permalink)
                                        pnwchef

joerogo

joerogo : Says,  Our phones are soooo much more than phones these days. I just wish I could get one with a camera than didn't take blurry pictures.

I heard that Tom is having a Food Photography Class at Chubby's next June. Tom says everyone will soon be able to take great quality pictures as he does. I have learned from Tom, if the eyes look red in a picture, its BBQ sauce............pnwc

The problem is Tom only has one outlet......but he promises to run 15 extension cords with multiple heads on them

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                                          Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                          FriedClamFanatic

pnwchef

joerogo

The problem is Tom only has one outlet......but he promises to run 15 extension cords with multiple heads on them

Not far from reality, this buiding was a 1963 model, I need a bunch of outlets, I never seem to get around to having my Electrician install them.

Ice Cream Man

Re:Customer phone charging? Tue, 01/15/13 5:36 PM (permalink)
                                            We could get you a hat with a solar panel on it for the patio.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                              Re:Customer phone charging? Wed, 01/16/13 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                              Come on guys, don't be so hard on Chewy.  Last time I was there I had no problem plugging in.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                                Re:Customer phone charging? Thu, 01/17/13 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                                Be like me, Just put down the phone and walk away. You will be suprised how much you do NOT need it like you think you do.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com