Czech bread

Author
idemtidem
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2004/01/14 16:58:09 (permalink)

Czech bread

Does anoyone know where to get Czech bread in the US? I don't think I can get it here in SC so I'm thinking if there's a place that could send it to me in the mail??

21 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/14 17:16:24 (permalink)
    I went through Google and typed in "czechbread". I got some listings but it's more for making yourself. I saw no mail order. Lots of sights. I gave up after the first 4 pages. Besides, not knowing exactly what you're looking for didn't make it much easier. Maybe you could give it a try.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/14 17:20:32 (permalink)
    You could try some of these places. There are lots of Czech bakeries in the town of West, TX too.

Weikel's Bakery
    2247 West Hwy. 71, La Grange, TX 78945 (409 )968-9413

Lukas Bakery
    (409) 968-3052

The Bon Ton
    2359 West 71, La Grange, TX 78945 (409) 968-8875
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/14 17:22:52 (permalink)
    Here is as website for "The Ole Czech Bakery" in West.

https://secuservices.com/oleczech/mall/lobby.asp?order=9189
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/14 17:44:01 (permalink)
    What is Czeck bread. I have stopped at the West Texas town several times and bought some of their pastries. Very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    idemtidem
    Junior Burger
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/14 18:44:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

What is Czeck bread. I have stopped at the West Texas town several times and bought some of their pastries. Very good.

Czech bread is of the same shape as Italian (oval) and is very dense and has a thicker chewy dark crust on the outside.

I looked at the Ole Czech Bakery but they don't bread...just the pastries but those I could make myself.

I might try how much calling the Texas places. Hopefully, some place will have it. I'm really craving for it. I hadn't noticed I needed it until I came here and had to be eating American bread only. I'm trying to think of other possibilities than having my mom send it to me from the CR! LOOL!
    idemtidem
    Junior Burger
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/14 18:46:35 (permalink)
    Czech bread is of the same shape as Italian (oval) and is very dense and has a thicker chewy dark crust on the outside.

I looked at the Ole Czech Bakery but they don't sell the bread...just the pastries but those I could make myself.

I might try calling the Texas places. Hopefully, some place will have it. I'm really craving for it. I hadn't noticed how much I needed it until I came here and had to be eating American bread only. I'm trying to think of other possibilities than having my mom send it to me from the CR! LOOL!

I was playing with the mouse and got some words moved elsewhere. :-/
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/14 20:18:05 (permalink)
    Idemtidem,
    The 3rd most used language inTexas is Czech, (after english and Spanish) There are thousands of Czech families in the state, some for over 150 years.
    There is a Czech bakery and sausage shop in Schulenburg TX, and also a good one in Temple TX
    The Temple one is quite good. It is
    The Czech Heritage Bakery
    Neon Square
    2314-D W. Adams st
    Temple TX 76504
    254-742-1610

We also enjoyed a stop in September at the "Czech Bakery" on rt.52 in Owosso, Michigan---between Lansing and Flint. Great Bread and pastries.
    I don't know the name of the place, but there is another good one in the Czech Cultural village in Cedar Rapids Iowa. They have a several block section of town devoted to Czech stores and shops, and a major Czech Museum and Cultural Center.
    Same with the small villages of Wilbur NE, Wilson KS and Prague OK and New Prague MN. You need to share in the fun at the Tabor S D Summer heritage Weekend, what a great party.
    For those geographically inclined, there was a major wave of Czech migration into the US about the time of the settling of the heart of the Plains area...basically a 150 mile wide strip reaching from Texas to Canada that straddles I-35. Many Czech communities survive to this day...and there are a few outposts also, like Deming New Mexico, where they make tons of Czech Sausage for their Fall Festival each year.
    If you decide to visit Temple TX, be sure to take time to walk thru the Czech Museum there, It's a dandy.

Yes my Mother came from Praha in 1912, and has passed on much of the cultural history to me..I wish she had insisted that I master the language also Our branch of the family was the only one to come cover back then, so thru the magic of email I am now beginning to communicate with cousins that I never have seen in the CR. It is an amazing process to see your family expand before your eyes!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/15 06:56:01 (permalink)
    "Our branch of the family was the only one to come cover back then, so thru the magic of email I am now beginning to communicate with cousins that I never have seen in the CR. It is an amazing process to see your family expand before your eyes!!"

Thats cool Al!!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Czech bread 2004/01/15 07:06:31 (permalink)
    Tiki-
    My grandmother and mother wrote to family there all those terrible years...the First world war stopped the plans for some of the others to come over to join the group that was here. Then the Nazi closed every door, Then the Soviets. Each year my family would write and send "CARE" packages etc. Several times a year we would get the letters from those good people. Well Grandmother died back in the 70's...My Mom had the opportunity to visit her birthplace in the mid-90's and finally met the people she had only known in letters. For a couple of years I have been involved as email becomes more commonplace with private citizens there. Now I am trying to get the next generation of my family involved with communicating with their cousins to keep the link connected.
    It is an interesting project. We do have the chance to discuss foods as we learn of the likes and dislikes etc on both sides of the Atlantic.
    Thought you might enjoy the rest of the story.
    justinr11
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Czech bread 2006/07/23 11:16:07 (permalink)
    I lived in Czech Republic, and I think you are talking about the slightly salted Rolicky crescent-shaped rolls- Pronounced: Rollichky because the "C" has an upside down arrow over it in Czech. They serve them every morning for breakfast with salami or cheese. Very good. Croatian bakeries have these too. There is one in town here, but they seem to refuse to serve any non-muslims at this one. I was so disappointed because I was really looking forward to rolls. I went there about 5-6 times and he always said they were reserved.

It would be great if someone could post a recipe!
    justinr11
    Junior Burger
    RE: Czech bread 2006/07/23 11:39:55 (permalink)
    They could have been Bosnian, but I sure wish they would sell those rolls.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Czech bread 2006/07/23 16:00:32 (permalink)
    Did you try to "reserve" some? Did they refuse? If yes, I'd sic the authorities on them. No one can refuse to sell someone something based on their religion.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Czech bread 2006/07/24 21:05:18 (permalink)
    http://www.theprague.ca/albums/album_image/2260732/753080.htm

Is this it?
    Recipe for it here...
    http://www.praguepost.com/P03/2004/Art/0527/featu4.php
    sshowers
    Junior Burger
    RE: Czech bread 2006/07/28 16:42:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Idemtidem,
    The 3rd most used language inTexas is Czech, (after english and Spanish) There are thousands of Czech families in the state, some for over 150 years.
    There is a Czech bakery and sausage shop in Schulenburg TX, and also a good one in Temple TX
    The Temple one is quite good. It is
    The Czech Heritage Bakery
    Neon Square
    2314-D W. Adams st
    Temple TX 76504
    254-742-1610

We also enjoyed a stop in September at the "Czech Bakery" on rt.52 in Owosso, Michigan---between Lansing and Flint. Great Bread and pastries.
    I don't know the name of the place, but there is another good one in the Czech Cultural village in Cedar Rapids Iowa. They have a several block section of town devoted to Czech stores and shops, and a major Czech Museum and Cultural Center.
    Same with the small villages of Wilbur NE, Wilson KS and Prague OK and New Prague MN. You need to share in the fun at the Tabor S D Summer heritage Weekend, what a great party.
    For those geographically inclined, there was a major wave of Czech migration into the US about the time of the settling of the heart of the Plains area...basically a 150 mile wide strip reaching from Texas to Canada that straddles I-35. Many Czech communities survive to this day...and there are a few outposts also, like Deming New Mexico, where they make tons of Czech Sausage for their Fall Festival each year.
    If you decide to visit Temple TX, be sure to take time to walk thru the Czech Museum there, It's a dandy.

Yes my Mother came from Praha in 1912, and has passed on much of the cultural history to me..I wish she had insisted that I master the language also Our branch of the family was the only one to come cover back then, so thru the magic of email I am now beginning to communicate with cousins that I never have seen in the CR. It is an amazing process to see your family expand before your eyes!!
    sshowers
    Junior Burger
    RE: Czech bread 2006/07/28 16:45:19 (permalink)
    I just contacted the Kolache Kitchen in Owosso MI on 7-26-2006. They make the original Bohemian Kolaches in assorted fruits and poppyseed. They are moving their shop to downtown Owosso and should be settled in by September. They ship their baked goods.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Czech bread 2006/07/28 17:06:11 (permalink)
    http://www.povitica.com/

In the early 1980’s Strawberry Hill Povitica Company was founded by Harley D O’Leary. Making povitica was merely an ambition of a boy that grew up in the Strawberry Hill area of Kansas City, KS. Initially, his dream was to carry on a custom he was taught by his Croatian family, and he wanted to share that tradition with others.

Harley’s philosophy was ‘to do one thing, and be the best at it’. It is this philosophy that has successfully helped the Strawberry Hill Povitica Company grow from a small local favorite, to being nationally known.

Harley began the business in the historic area of Strawberry Hill in Kansas City. For the first two years, Harley prepared and baked every loaf of povitica himself, always pursuing his goal of crafting the best loaf of povitica anywhere in the world. As the business grew, the need for more help became evident. Therefore, Harley recruited his two sons to join the family business.

Currently, Strawberry Hill Povitica Company is baking, shipping, and sharing its povitica with people all over the United States. Today each loaf of povitica is prepared with the same level of integrity Harley used in the beginning.

oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Czech bread 2006/07/29 10:56:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by idemtidem

I looked at the Ole Czech Bakery but they don't sell the bread...just the pastries but those I could make myself.

I might try calling the Texas places. Hopefully, some place will have it. I'm really craving for it. I hadn't noticed how much I needed it until I came here and had to be eating American bread only. I'm trying to think of other possibilities than having my mom send it to me from the CR! LOOL!

That bread just sounds so good but I don't think I've ever seen it. Mostly kolache shops here, if they sell bread, do a 'country' or 'home-style' white. I'm planning a kolache tour this fall to some towns between here and San Antonio and will be on the look out for it.

FWIW, in case anybody of Czech descent is coming to Houston: http://www.czechcenter.org/

I was real excited when I found this, hoping they'd have a list of local businesses (such as bakeries), but to no avail.
    Martin_CA
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Czech bread 2006/08/02 02:45:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by idemtidem

Does anoyone know where to get Czech bread in the US? I don't think I can get it here in SC so I'm thinking if there's a place that could send it to me in the mail??

Hi all, I'm originaly from czech republic, but I've moved to South Orange County, CA. 7 years ago. So I'm sorry for my bad english. But you know what.. I'm missing czech bread too.... you can buy similar bread in Albertson store, it's called Russian bread.... it taste similar, but ummm.. it's still not "czech"..;) Another shop... about 100 miles from my place is Alpine Village.. It's european village, german mostly, guys... they have tons of "our" stuff. Germans are our neighbours, so they have lots of foods almost same like czechs. The bread is the best a ever bought here in CA. There is a link, check it out... it's linked to market: http://www.alpinevillage.net/market.htm I think there is some possibility to buy some food online also... M.
    mrslinda
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Czech bread 2006/08/22 11:14:18 (permalink)
    During a family reunion several years ago, we went to a good Bohemian restaurant in Chicago, but I do not know if they send out their bread. Just like when I grew up going to the West Side with my parents and eating at Lurie Bros. and getting sausages, etc. from the local butcher shop.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Czech bread 2006/08/22 17:00:43 (permalink)
    http://www.kobehouse.com/
    .....better than Strawberry Hill, says a KC native.....
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1076
    RE: Czech bread 2006/08/23 10:50:18 (permalink)
    All the Mayor,I didn't know your mom was from Praha.I've been to the town several times over the years when we had gone to Schulenberg for a drive.
    Glad you are getting to know your kinfolk in the old country.My dad was German, and i learned a little,but not enought to write the folks in Garmisch.I may just try writing in English for the heck of it and see what happens.One of my cousins in Nuremberg keeps the family history book,but I don't know who,so Garmisch kin maybe able to help me out.Do you plan to go to the Czech Republic to visit someday? I hope to get to Germany first,and then work on my mom's side in Hungary.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1