D.C. Deli?

Author
jlmva
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
2005/06/16 14:23:10 (permalink)

D.C. Deli?

Anybody have a good tip on finding a good corned beef or pastrami sandwich a la Katz's in NYC?

I've been to Krupins on WI Ave. and it was about the best I've found to date. Other suggestions. Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

jmcho@hotmail.com
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: D.C. Deli? 2006/01/10 14:52:59 (permalink)
    I posted this in response to a question on subs in the Pizza section back in 07 of 05... Its not about Pastrami -- though they do have a good Pastrami here...BUT

I've done some looking myself -- and I am from Jersey as well.

Here are places I highly recommend for subs.

In Herndon -- The Deli (off of Elden Street/Baron Cameron) in the same shopping center as K-mart. Its a grocery type place -- but the owner is Italian and grumpy -- but makes a good sub. He has a second shop off of Jermantown Rd -- people like that place too, but I've never been there. On the other hand -- ther are no seats at his Herndon grocery and people line up. At first -- I was certain no shop in the DC-area could top them but then came new competition last year.

In Gaithersburg, MD (very close to Guiseppes), there is Gourmet Market (another Italian market) and the owners are Italian-Americans and from Brooklyn. They opened up mid-to-late last year. The owner was impressed with my raving about The Deli in Herndon that he went there himself and tried their subs. I mean thats how serious this guy takes his subs. Needless to say, Gourmet Market subs are the best in the DC area. I've made alot of trips around the area when someone raves about a sub. NOPE. Haven't beaten this place yet. They know how to make subs -- and its not this mainstream stuff -- they actually put the meat in the right order and the mortadella goes next to the Provolone -- and the lettuce is shredded to a fine mist. You got the idea?? Gourmet Market is off of 28 and the Quince Orchard intersection in a standalone building near the Fuddruckers. Its pretty BLEEPIN good (for the DC area). You know your there when you open the door and you hear all this pop Italian music.

Regards,
    John
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: D.C. Deli? 2006/01/10 18:41:23 (permalink)
    The New York Deli in Union Station is good for a quick fix.
    and Old Georgetown Deli at the Old Post Office Pavillion does a decent job with sandwiches too

Even better though, in Fairfax, across from George Mason University in the University Mall on Braddock Rd is Elie's Deli. Good sandwiches and soup!

Booeymonger in Georgetown on Prospect St. (not a NY deli, but good sandwiches anyhow)

The Italian Store in Arlington, VA. (good slices too)

Cafe Mozart (german sandwiches) H St. NW D.C. Near the intersection of NY Ave and H St. NW

others to come...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1