DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Adam Holland
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/04/18 11:42:37 (permalink)

DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY

I want to nominate DiFara's (DiFara's Pizza 1424 Ave. J, Brooklyn, NY 11230 at E. 15th St.) as the best in NYC. Expertly made with imported Italian Mozzarella di Bufala, Grana Padana and toppings such as artichoke (recommended). The crust is perfect, thin with the right amount of chewiness. Sauce is imported tomato plus fresh basil. The drawback: the place is dingy and the pie does not travel well. Eat there, unless you live in the neighborhood.

Also try Totono's in Coney Island. Thin crust with Pecorino Romano and fresh mozzarella, sauce on top. As with DiFara's, it doesn't travel well, so eat there. Nice decor, sea breeze and the boardwalk three blocks away.

60 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2006/04/18 14:14:15 (permalink)
    The staff at www.sliceny.com agree with you
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2006/04/25 05:16:05 (permalink)
    I can attest to the pie at Totonno’s on Neptune Ave. Some of the best I've ever had. Next trip I try DiFara's.
    brewdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2006/06/17 14:27:20 (permalink)
    been to new haven, all over chicago, elsewhere in ny and now the celebrated crozet; defara gets my vote for greatest pizza
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2006/07/04 21:29:40 (permalink)
    We went to DiFara yesterday. It is remarkable that 1 man has been making all of the pizzas there by himself for 40+ years, and is still operating that way. With the long wait time (in a non-air conditioned dining area near the ovens) gave plenty of opportunity to watch the master at work; spreading the crust by hand, spreading the sauce, putting on the toppings (artichoke and pepperoni for ours)and squeezing off the dollops of mozzarella to drop on top of the ingredients before putting it into the oven. When he takes it out of the oven, he picks up a bundle of basil from the herb garden in the window and uses scissors to cut of a generous portion to spread over the top. (since I'm not a big fan of basil on a pizza, I stopped him before he put any on mine),

While the ingredients were among the best I've had, his heavy hand with the olive oil left a soggy bottomed crust that detracted from the overall excellence of the rest of the pie.

Make sure you have at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours for this process if you go there, and don't expect a crispy crust. Even with the less than perfect crust, this still rates in my top 5 or 6 pizza places. My top choice is a tie between Modern in New Haven and Hideaway in Oklahoma City, closely followed by Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and Patsy's near Union Square in Manhattan (when I can stop them from overwhelming the pizza taste with basil). Then either Zaferelis in Milwaukee, Geno's in Chicago, Cafe Piccolla in Raleigh or DiFaro.

And it still amazes me that the same man is still making all of the pizzas at DiFaro by himself for the past 40 years, with only 1 other person around to help take orders and box up the pies.
    cgorange
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2006/07/06 22:57:29 (permalink)
    I've been to 11 of the Pizza places on Roadfood and most of the best places from Trenton to New Haven, but the best (AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE) place isn't listed -- DiFara's in Midwood, Brooklyn. DiFara's is the place that I go to (driving by 4 of the pizza places on the site) in my 90 minute drive to Brooklyn. DiFara's is the place I take people who are coming from outside the country when they want to experience REAL New York pizza. DiFara's is the Sistine Chapel, the pizza de resistance, as it were, that causes people in Brooklyn -- the home of the meanest most impatient people on the earth -- to stand 5 deep at the counter for 60 to 90 minutes in complete silence watching like a lion stalking a gazelle -- Dom DeMarco make pizzas the exact same way he's been doing for 50 years.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2006/07/07 08:23:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cgorange

I've been to 11 of the Pizza places on Roadfood and most of the best places from Trenton to New Haven, but the best (AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE) place isn't listed -- DiFara's in Midwood, Brooklyn. DiFara's is the place that I go to (driving by 4 of the pizza places on the site) in my 90 minute drive to Brooklyn. DiFara's is the place I take people who are coming from outside the country when they want to experience REAL New York pizza. DiFara's is the Sistine Chapel, the pizza de resistance, as it were, that causes people in Brooklyn -- the home of the meanest most impatient people on the earth -- to stand 5 deep at the counter for 60 to 90 minutes in complete silence watching like a lion stalking a gazelle -- Dom DeMarco make pizzas the exact same way he's been doing for 50 years.

Next time, bring a camera and write up a review so more people will know about this great place!
    notchit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/02/26 11:58:39 (permalink)
    I recently came across this thread, so I visited Di Fara's with my camera:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4338&RefID=4383
    hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/02/26 12:06:19 (permalink)
    Sounds yummy but artichoke? That sounds almost as bad as pineapple!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/02/26 12:23:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by notchit

I recently came across this thread, so I visited Di Fara's with my camera:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4338&RefID=4383

Excellent!!!

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/02/26 19:53:53 (permalink)
    The best. The best. The best. No doubt in my mind. Lived three blocks away. Miss it so bad.

A real treat to order when the place is slow (which doesn't occur often) is a calzone. Dominic will make it without hesitating, but he will definitely take his time. This isn't an ordinary calzone. Shaped like a kringle pastry, round with a whole in the middle. The size of a pizza. Oozing with ricotta and mozzarella. Unreal. Never had one like it.

I also liked the sicilian slice better than the regular. I think there's pork in the sicilian sauce that gives it a little more smokiness.

Always say, "Thanks Dominic." He acts like he doesn't hear you, but he remembers everything. A true master of his craft.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/20 20:50:43 (permalink)
    Yes, the whole time I lived in Brooklyn, I never visited this place. I finally ate there this summer (three different times) and it is all that everyone says about it.

My grandparents lived directly across Avenue J for a number of years, and I never ate there.

If I could have one pizza in Brooklyn, it would be his.

Steven Green

quote:
    Originally posted by cornfed

The best. The best. The best. No doubt in my mind. Lived three blocks away. Miss it so bad.

A real treat to order when the place is slow (which doesn't occur often) is a calzone. Dominic will make it without hesitating, but he will definitely take his time. This isn't an ordinary calzone. Shaped like a kringle pastry, round with a whole in the middle. The size of a pizza. Oozing with ricotta and mozzarella. Unreal. Never had one like it.

I also liked the sicilian slice better than the regular. I think there's pork in the sicilian sauce that gives it a little more smokiness.

Always say, "Thanks Dominic." He acts like he doesn't hear you, but he remembers everything. A true master of his craft.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/20 22:10:20 (permalink)
    <<Sounds yummy but artichoke? That sounds almost as bad as pineapple!>>

One would think so, but there are artichokes and there are Dom's artichokes. Like nothing else. Best artichoke pizza that I have ever had (and the only artichoke pizza I will ever try).

One other point of note about Di Fara's. Because it's in a neighborhood where most of the other stores are run by Orthodox Jews, most of the stores are closed on Saturday. This makes parking real easy on Saturday, unlike just about any other shopping street in Brooklyn.
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/22 07:59:55 (permalink)
    As good as it may be, please before you go up to visit BE WARNED IT IS AT LEAST AN HOUR WAIT STANDING IN LINE. We have actually waited 1.5 hours for one pizza.

We actually did a tour last year and were able to knock out Lombardi's, Grimaldi's, Difara's, John's, and Totonno's (manhttn), Nicks in one saturday afternoon on the subway. We went up with 5 of us so it was not a big deal when you have to order whole pies. If you are a big fan of NY Famous Pizzarias I would reccomend this.

Tony
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/22 22:17:49 (permalink)
    I must be in a distinct minority here, but I found DiFara's to be pretty ordinary (as compared to the other Brooklyn legends - it would still trump most non-NYC-area pizza joints). We also did a pizza tour this past spring. Our stops consisted of DiFara's, Totonno's, L&B Spumoni Gardens, Fascati, Grimaldi's and Lombardi's. Of that group, I would rank DiFara's fourth - with Grimaldi's the best. Grimaldi's, IIRC, was almost universally considered the best in our group of 8 or 9 folks.
    geomotz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/22 22:38:54 (permalink)
    LOVE DiFara's. I live in Park Slope Brooklyn and can get from DiFara's to home in under 10 mins now if I time the lights corrrectly and drive like crazy (my record is 9 mins.) I usually ask Dom not to slice the pie so I can slice it when I get home. Seems to help.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7905
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/22 22:43:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I must be in a distinct minority here, but I found DiFara's to be pretty ordinary (as compared to the other Brooklyn legends - it would still trump most non-NYC-area pizza joints). We also did a pizza tour this past spring. Our stops consisted of DiFara's, Totonno's, L&B Spumoni Gardens, Fascati, Grimaldi's and Lombardi's. Of that group, I would rank DiFara's fourth - with Grimaldi's the best. Grimaldi's, IIRC, was almost universally considered the best in our group of 8 or 9 folks.

Holy Crap!!!
    Your back!!!!" />" />" />
    phlmaestro2000
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/22 23:50:41 (permalink)
    I remember it was reported that DiFara's was closed down for health code violations. Has it been re-opened?
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/23 00:30:12 (permalink)
    Nothing personal here, but imported mozzarella? No wonder people in NY spend big bucks on such a thin pizza... Mozz is best when made on site... Why pay all that shipping?? Just MYHO here..
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/23 01:22:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Holy Crap!!!
    Your back!!!!" />" />" />

That's great news about Grimaldi's because they are opening a store next month in Dallas. Very close to me. Coal burning oven and all. Can't wait!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/10/23 11:25:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow
    That's great news about Grimaldi's because they are opening a store next month in Dallas. Very close to me. Coal burning oven and all. Can't wait!

It appears that Dallas is getting a "Patsy Grimaldi's." (http://www.patsygrimaldis.com/locations.asp) There does seem to be some connection to the original NY locations, but the Grimaldi's web site (http://www.grimaldis.com/) only lists the three metro NY locations as their "restaurants." It redirects to the Patsy Grimaldi's web site for the locations out west.

I don't care what they call it, as long as it looks (and tastes) as good as this...

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/11/15 00:15:55 (permalink)
    I just went to Grimaldi's for the first time this past weekend. I've been a NY pizza lover for years. I'm not officially a Brooklyn pizza lover. That was far ans away the best pizza I've ever had.

I know Brooklyn is IN ny. I was born in NYS. But anybody I've met from Brooklyn says they're from Brooklyn, not NY(C).

desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/11/15 10:30:55 (permalink)
    quote:

Although I can't wait to try Difara's (and some others named on this thread) when I visit the Big Apple, I have this theory that the longer you have to wait, the better the food tastes, esp. if you are sitting (or standing) in front of the guy making it all that time.

The same is true for Bianco's here in Phoenix...by the time you finally sink your teeth into the pie, you've had the better part of 2 hours waiting and thinking about how great it is going to be.

Everyone raves about the pizza there, that it is the best pizza anywhere, I find it very good, but the BEST? Hmmmmmm, jury is still out on that one.

Is my theory wrong?

DD

the acting man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/11/15 17:28:18 (permalink)
    It's the best I've had in the city so far, and I'd say I'm getting more and more well-versed in NYC pizza by the week. I still think the better pies are outside of Manhattan, though I mean no disrespect to Koronet's, Joe's, or the dollar slices over by the bus terminal. I also echo cornfed's sentiments in that his square slices are better than his round ones.

The wait, I could do without...though, to be fair, that you're able to buy slices from this guy when so many other NYC pizzeria staples are pie only should be taken into consideration. You're dealing with a customer base, and a rather annoying one at that, that you don't get with a place like Grimaldi's or Lombardi's or the other tourist tra...I mean, John's.

Still, ignore it like some publications will for its uber-cheesy name, Goodfellas in Staten Island was the long-standing number one until I ventured down the Q line.
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2007/11/15 17:34:11 (permalink)
    try Joe and Pats just down the street from Goodfellas on Victory Blvd. I think its the thinnest most delicious in Staten Island!
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2008/08/06 09:08:59 (permalink)
    Just returned from Brooklyn. I made two trips to DiFara's. Lines were shorter, now that the price is higher. Second time I shared the experience with two others from out of town. Both times I brought a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda to drink with the pizza.

If I could take one food with me to Heaven it would be a DiFara's Pizza. That says it all. It is perfect through and through every time. No pizza in the world is like Dominic's at DiFara's.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7905
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2008/08/06 09:10:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

Just returned from Brooklyn. I made two trips to DiFara's. Lines were shorter, now that the price is higher. Second time I shared the experience with two others from out of town. Both times I brought a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda to drink with the pizza.

If I could take one food with me to Heaven it would be a DiFara's Pizza. That says it all. It is perfect through and through every time. No pizza in the world is like Dominic's at DiFara's.

You should have been there 10-20 years ago when it was even better!
    and a helluva lot cheaper too!
    Bossa Nova
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2009/07/06 20:38:14 (permalink)

Di Fara is raising their price to $5 a slice.  Whole pies are going up too.  They will also now be closed Tuesdays in addition to Mondays.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2009/07/06 22:02:26 (permalink)
    Hopefully Dom will use the extra money to hire more help at the pizza joint.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: DIFARA'S PIZZA BROOKLYN NY 2009/07/06 23:21:25 (permalink)
    In my opinion, DiFara's is over.  The food is still great, but it's absolutely not worth the ridiculous lines, the slow service, the insane subway ride out there, the dirty floors, and now the sky-high prices.  
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1