DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
2007/08/05 09:42:26 (permalink)

DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket

I was dawdling through our local (NE PA) Wegman's yeasterday, and I found these items over by the packaged cured meats; Dinosaur brand baked beans, chili, pulled pork, and meatloaf. I picked up some of each, and have so far tried the beans.

The package is one pound; I would say maybe 25%-35% of that weight is in the sauce, which isn't a bad thing. The overall dish is not really discreet beans and sauce, but more of a paste with beans in it. The flavor is a blend of hot green pepper, brown sugar, and onion; there are bits of bbq'd pulled pork throughout, giving it a real meatiness.

I was really pleased with these beans; the overall impression was of eating Uncle Joe's family recipe beans that he brought with him from Tennessee. There was no hint of it being a store-bought product.

Fans of blander beans might not like these; there is no flavor similarity between these and Campbell's, and even a quality product like Bush's is obviously mass market in comparison. However, if you are a fan of foods that reach out and strike you with flavor, these beans will make you smile.

Not cheap at $2.99 the pound, but worth it. Priced just high enough to keep you from buying 20 pounds to take to the next picnic to pass them off as your own!

Tom

8 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket 2007/08/05 12:10:19 (permalink)
    Pics?
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket 2007/08/05 16:35:35 (permalink)
    Nex' time, Adj. I have another tray of them, maybe we'll have them with tonight's dinner.

Tom
    Wander
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket 2007/08/05 17:03:33 (permalink)
    Good good stuff. I get the pulled pork and the beans on a semi regular basis. The beans also have a bit of Gianelli italian sausage in them, providing another nice layer of flavor. The pulled pork packs have a good mix of burnt ends in them as well. I only bought the meatloaf once, it seemed a little mushy for my taste. My local market also carries the small pack (3/4 to a pound) of Dino pork ribs which are excellent as well.

Looks like you can order most of the stuff online too if you're in an area without. http://www.gianellisausage.com/new_products.htm
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket 2007/08/05 20:28:58 (permalink)
    OK, here is the packaging:

And here they are in the bowl. Notice the chips of pepper and onion. I didn't notice any sausage, but it certainly could be there. There is sausage in the chili that I had for lunch. I did notice more of the bbq sauce taste tonight.

Here it is in the bowl. Notice, for your $3 you don't get more than 4 small servings:

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket 2007/08/05 22:52:36 (permalink)
    The photo and the inclusion of the sausage matches the recipe I just made last night from the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook. The recipe calls for the sausage casing to be removed before it's added into the dish.
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket 2007/08/06 04:48:30 (permalink)
    Hi Stephen and welcome to RoadFood. You'll notice that we have a recipe section where members post PICTURES of the food they cooked. Please feel free to participate next time you make something in the Rushmore kitchen.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket 2007/08/06 08:21:20 (permalink)
    LOL, you know what? It says "Seasoned with GIANELLI Italian sausage" right on the front of the package. I gotta check my tongue.

Tom
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket 2007/08/06 11:06:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

Hi Stephen and welcome to RoadFood. You'll notice that we have a recipe section where members post PICTURES of the food they cooked. Please feel free to participate next time you make something in the Rushmore kitchen.

LOLOL....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1