The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2935
DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Sun, 08/5/07 9:42 AM (permalink)
I was dawdling through our local (NE PA) Wegman's yeasterday, and I found these items over by the packaged cured meats; Dinosaur brand baked beans, chili, pulled pork, and meatloaf. I picked up some of each, and have so far tried the beans.

The package is one pound; I would say maybe 25%-35% of that weight is in the sauce, which isn't a bad thing. The overall dish is not really discreet beans and sauce, but more of a paste with beans in it. The flavor is a blend of hot green pepper, brown sugar, and onion; there are bits of bbq'd pulled pork throughout, giving it a real meatiness.

I was really pleased with these beans; the overall impression was of eating Uncle Joe's family recipe beans that he brought with him from Tennessee. There was no hint of it being a store-bought product.

Fans of blander beans might not like these; there is no flavor similarity between these and Campbell's, and even a quality product like Bush's is obviously mass market in comparison. However, if you are a fan of foods that reach out and strike you with flavor, these beans will make you smile.

Not cheap at $2.99 the pound, but worth it. Priced just high enough to keep you from buying 20 pounds to take to the next picnic to pass them off as your own!

Tom

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
    RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Sun, 08/5/07 12:10 PM (permalink)
    Pics?

Mosca

RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Sun, 08/5/07 4:35 PM (permalink)
      Nex' time, Adj. I have another tray of them, maybe we'll have them with tonight's dinner.

Tom

Wander

• Total Posts: 38
        RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Sun, 08/5/07 5:03 PM (permalink)
        Good good stuff. I get the pulled pork and the beans on a semi regular basis. The beans also have a bit of Gianelli italian sausage in them, providing another nice layer of flavor. The pulled pork packs have a good mix of burnt ends in them as well. I only bought the meatloaf once, it seemed a little mushy for my taste. My local market also carries the small pack (3/4 to a pound) of Dino pork ribs which are excellent as well.

Looks like you can order most of the stuff online too if you're in an area without. http://www.gianellisausage.com/new_products.htm

Mosca

RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Sun, 08/5/07 8:28 PM (permalink)
          OK, here is the packaging:

And here they are in the bowl. Notice the chips of pepper and onion. I didn't notice any sausage, but it certainly could be there. There is sausage in the chili that I had for lunch. I did notice more of the bbq sauce taste tonight.

Here it is in the bowl. Notice, for your $3 you don't get more than 4 small servings:

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Sun, 08/5/07 10:52 PM (permalink)
            The photo and the inclusion of the sausage matches the recipe I just made last night from the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook. The recipe calls for the sausage casing to be removed before it's added into the dish.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
              RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Mon, 08/6/07 4:48 AM (permalink)
              Hi Stephen and welcome to RoadFood. You'll notice that we have a recipe section where members post PICTURES of the food they cooked. Please feel free to participate next time you make something in the Rushmore kitchen.

Mosca

RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Mon, 08/6/07 8:21 AM (permalink)
                LOL, you know what? It says "Seasoned with GIANELLI Italian sausage" right on the front of the package. I gotta check my tongue.

Tom

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                  RE: DINOSAUR brand baked beans in supermarket Mon, 08/6/07 11:06 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

Hi Stephen and welcome to RoadFood. You'll notice that we have a recipe section where members post PICTURES of the food they cooked. Please feel free to participate next time you make something in the Rushmore kitchen.

LOLOL....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com