DOUBLE YOLK EGGS

Author
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
2006/12/02 21:39:47 (permalink)

DOUBLE YOLK EGGS

i always ate with my dad at lou mitchells in chicago for their french toast but every egg they serve are double yolk, any other places in north america you know of that have that?

22 Replies Related Threads

Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/02 22:31:36 (permalink)
    There's a little bar in Cincinnati called the Lyons Den that used to sell double yolk pickled eggs. Sold them and duck eggs as well fresh. They brought them from their Indiana farm
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/02 23:07:20 (permalink)
    once in a while in the spring we get random double yolk eggs.. i always like to think they're good luck!
    BUT i diDn't know you could ALWAys HAVE THEM.......
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 10:37:04 (permalink)
    Sounds to genetic to me
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 10:45:58 (permalink)
    Double yolks are fine to me, also. I take mine as two jumbos cooked "over medium" in bacon grease. Is there REALLY any other way to enjoy eggs???
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 11:43:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pat T Hat

There's a little bar in Cincinnati called the Lyons Den that used to sell double yolk pickled eggs. Sold them and duck eggs as well fresh. They brought them from their Indiana farm

Ok. call me stupid, but how do they know there is double yolk in there without cracking them open?
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 12:10:57 (permalink)
    its called candleing, you hold the egg up to a light and see inside but I never thought there would be enough doubles to package seperately on a consistent basis. I dont know 4 sure but figure the large processors use a similer operation just mechanized and computeriezed
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 12:45:38 (permalink)
    Near our home on the High Desert of SoCal was a turkey ranch that sold eggs as well as processed turkeys. Most of the eggs my Mom bought were double-yolks. Since I was just a kid at the time, I never asked about the percentage of doubles to singles laid.
    I will say a two egg scramble was a lot of eggs on the plate...the eggs were quite a bit larger than Hens eggs and the double yolk seemed to add to the volume.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 12:49:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Ok. call me stupid, but how do they know there is double yolk in there without cracking them open?

Whatever type, hybrid, family, strain or whatever you'd call them have a propensity to lay double yolks. Most all were, but a few out of the ones I'd bought were single yolked. Maybe one or two a dozen.

At the bar, if you got a single yolked pickled egg you got another free.
    Most of them were in the med. to large size and the shells of the fresh I'd bought were mostly light brown and a real pretty mottled tan and brown. Yolks were bright orange.

Now I'm going to have to make a trip up north and see if I can score some. I'm feeling like a secret egg'gent man...oooh another bad one.
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 13:20:29 (permalink)
    lou mitchells has had doubles only for over 50 years right in downtown chicago
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 14:48:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by phatphil

i always ate with my dad at lou mitchells in chicago for their french toast but every egg they serve are double yolk, any other places in north america you know of that have that?

Phil,

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!!!!!!

I ate at a joint in downtown Chicago many years ago, was in town for work, and the customer I was working for took me to this breakfast joint. They said it was the best breakfast in Chicago, and they were right on the money.

I remembered the double yolks, but forgot the name. Lou Mitchell's has got to be the place. I've been trying to remember that name for 15 years....thank you!!!!
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 17:08:20 (permalink)
    its on jackson blvd right off the eisenhower xpwy and the building is also the landmark for the beginning of rt 66
    GCD1962
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 21:41:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Egg producers don't need to candle them to tell if they are double yokers. Every so often I go to Otis Egg Farm in Otis, MA. I asked the owner how they tell. He said that after a few months of laying eggs, certain hens begin producing double yokers. They are keep separate from the others. But also, they can tell from the shape of the egg. The doubles are longer as opposed to the usual "egg shape" of the standards. He said they sell a a few hundred dozens every month or so of the double yoke eggs. They also sell super jumbos which are almost twice the size of regular large eggs and much bigger than most jumbos sold. Their eggs are super fresh and they also sell wickedly good turkey and chicken pot pies. I always bring a cooler with me.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/03 22:08:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Is there REALLY any other way to enjoy eggs???

Yup. Standing on the corner eyeing out your enemy. When they come into range... POW...
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/05 01:03:15 (permalink)
    I buy large eggs at the supermarket. Have yet to find a double-yolked. My sister shops at the same supermarket and buys jumbo eggs. She almost always has at least one, and often, several double-yolked eggs in a dozen.
    Golem
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/05 02:04:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by phatphil

Thank you. We ate there 15 years ago and I couldn't remember the name. :)
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/05 12:40:17 (permalink)
    soooo. the chicken farmers have the special double yolk laying chickens all in one place(?) and they know that they can count on double yolkers from these gals so they get them and sell them to places like lou mitchels ? Does it cost more for eggs at lou mitchells cuz they're special? does it cost more to produce double yolkers?
    just wondering.
    one thing i DO know about eggs is FRESH locally raised free range hen eggs ( from the farmer or farmers mkt) are so insanely superior to supermarket eggs, i don't know if i'll EVER go back tio buying them at the reg. store again!!!
    They are so much tastier and prettier and better! whooo! YES fry em in bacon fat!
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/05 13:27:56 (permalink)
    Alas my mission for the double yolked (and duck) egg has been eggstinquished. The place I used to get them has changed hands. The gal that sold them it turned out wasn't actually an owner but did stay on a while and dealt her dozens.
    Before she retired some concerned practical yolkster clucked and snitched out this blackmarket double yolk enterprise. Word on the fence says they may have been in a pickle themselves. The egg police put their foot down. The case was cracked! The world has become safe again. Everyone can relax and crow easier now that this dangerous ring has been scrambled. I understand she got off over-easy, flew the coop and made her eggscape.
    Many were left hard boiled over this turn of events, I know eggsactly how they feel!

LJM
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2006/12/05 16:20:17 (permalink)
    Whole Foods sells double yolk eggs. I recently bought some North Carolina eggs from Whole Foods, and they all turned out to be double yolk eggs. The North Carolina eggs appeared more elongated than the other varieties of eggs, which were mainly from Ohio.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2007/01/11 15:28:58 (permalink)
    It is simple...North Carolina roosters have the power.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2007/01/11 23:43:25 (permalink)
    quote:

Alas my mission for the double yolked (and duck) egg has been eggstinquished. The place I used to get them has changed hands. The gal that sold them it turned out wasn't actually an owner but did stay on a while and dealt her dozens.
    Before she retired some concerned practical yolkster clucked and snitched out this blackmarket double yolk enterprise. Word on the fence says they may have been in a pickle themselves. The egg police put their foot down. The case was cracked! The world has become safe again. Everyone can relax and crow easier now that this dangerous ring has been scrambled. I understand she got off over-easy, flew the coop and made her eggscape.
    Many were left hard boiled over this turn of events, I know eggsactly how they feel!

ouch.....sounds like she was involved in an egg poaching ring.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2007/01/12 00:16:12 (permalink)
    The general rule is: The older the hen, the larger the egg. Jumbo eggs are almost always laid by older hens. (Her insides have gotten somewhat stretched by a lot of previous egg production.) Older chickens are also more likely to lay double-yolk eggs, since body functions are not operating quite as smoothly due to old age. Therefore, jumbo eggs are much more likely to be double-yolked.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: DOUBLE YOLK EGGS 2007/01/12 16:20:52 (permalink)
    That's a good explanation, 6star, but it left me feeling vaguely uneasy. Something good is coming from a not-so-good thing and it just creeps me out somehow.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1