Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

DREAMy Cruise Eating

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42
crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 1:58 PM (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything.  The State of Florida is restricting employye travel so I don't wander to far from Tallahassee anymore.  Bear with me as it's been a while since I've tried to post photos.

[size=3 font="times new roman"]On January 9th my wife, brother-in-law, sister-in-law and I went on a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on the new Carnival Dream out of Port Canaveral, Florida.  The ship is the largest in the Carnival fleet carrying over 4000 passengers and was just launched this past fall.  Our cruise was the second of its Western Caribbean cruises going to Cozumel; Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; and Costa Maya, Mexico.

My wife sometimes feels that taking pictures of all the cruise food is embarrassing, so we didn’t take pictures of every meal or every food item eaten :( 
However, as many of you know, most food on cruise ships is along the lines of a decent hotel banquet type cooking. Carnival is no different.  The food on the Lido deck and in the main dining rooms is good but probably wouldn’t qualify for the “best thing I ever ate” category.  Carnival does some things right though. 

The pizza (24 hours), hot dogs and hamburgers  are generally very good. 

The most popular dessert is their warm chocolate melting cake.

If done correctly the center is soft and creamy a little thicker than a good chocolate pudding.  Some times it comes out too cake like and other times it’s like cake on top and hot fudge sauce on bottom. 

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 2:12 PM (permalink)
     Well, I thought the pictures had all bee downsized a bit.  But I'll try to make them not so large.

[size=3 font="times new roman"]To me the best desserts in their Main Dining Room are their grand mariner soufflés
    [size=3 font="times new roman"]
    and their “bitter and blanc” bread pudding

Their apple pie at dinner, usually served one night, is very good too. 

The best part of the meals is, if you want another serving of anything or want to try a different dish, all you have to do is ask.
    Now that we’ve had dessert first, I’ll focus the rest of my review on the great meal we had in the Dream’s Great Art Steakhouse and then some meals we had in 3 of the ports.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
      Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 2:32 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for posting this report.  My wife and I are cruising on Carnival out of New Orleans next month.  It's good to get a preview of our food options.

JRPfeff

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 2:37 PM (permalink)
        crew84row

My wife sometimes feels that taking pictures of all the cruise food is embarrassing, so we didn’t take pictures of every meal or every food item eaten :( 

Chicken!

I photographed everything on our last cruise.  By the end, my wife wouldn't even think of eating before I got my picture.

Jim

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
          Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 4:15 PM (permalink)
           It's only when you start walking around the dining room snapping pictures of other people's food that she need be embarrassed!  ( unless it's a Roadfood cruise) Mmmmm... Roadfood cruise. 

JRPfeff

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 4:49 PM (permalink)
            That cruise is a scary thought.  We might bankrupt the cruise line as the Roadfood group tours from the dining room to the buffet to the dessert bar to ...

Not to mention 24-hour dining.  Some of us may not even need cabins.

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 4:51 PM (permalink)
              JRPfeff

Thanks for posting this report.  My wife and I are cruising on Carnival out of New Orleans next month.  It's good to get a preview of our food options.

Jim,

I have a whole photo file of food pics from our Carnival legend cruise last spring.  Since the MDR menus are essentially the same food ship to ship, I'd be happy to share them with you.  Send me a PM with your email address, if you'd like to see them.

Crew

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 5:06 PM (permalink)
                JRP- RE- a RF Cruise.
                   Hey , their food costs would go up, but think of the fuel and port fees they would save.  They leave port, sail out of sight of land, drop anchor and sit for 7 days, then return to the dock. I can't think of a RF member who would notice the lack of "ports-a-call" or shore-leave !!!
                AL

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 5:06 PM (permalink)
                  [size=3 font="times new roman"]Many Carnival ships have separate restaurants, usually steakhouses, where you have to reserve a table and they charge you $30 pp to eat there.  You pay with your sign and sail card, which is linked to a credit card, after you dine, just as if you were in any land based restaurant.  All other dining options on the ship are inclusive in your cruise price.
                  [size=3 font="times new roman"]The Dream’s Great Art Steakhouse is indeed a fine dining experience.  The service is very attentive and formal and you are requested to dress up—suits or sports coats and ties for men.  You begin with a little tasting to stimulate your appetite (forgot the French name for this).  My wife and sister-in-law were served a little lobster bisque and my brother-in-law and I had a mushroom dish that looked like an open cannelloni.

For starters, I had the New England Crab Cake

And a whole beefsteak tomato with gorgonzola.

The main courses:
                  They bring you a platter out and show you the various cuts of meal and seafood offered that evening.   They have a 24oz porterhouse which is huge and no doggy bags.  I opted for the 14 oz New York Strip.
                  The main courses:

Notice the NY Strip came with a bulb of roasted garlic which was excellent in itself. 
                  My brother-in-law wanted the lobster tail.  Sister-in-law chose the sea bass and my wife had the rack of lamb.

For a side, I selected the creamed spinach.  This isn’t your 80s steakhouse cooked to death creamed spinach.  The spinach leaves were freshly sauted and the cream sauce was real cream. 

I’m about to burst.  But along comes the dessert selection:  My wife and I had the chocolate sampler which was 4 different types of desserts with chocolate in them.  All excellent. 

Brother–in-law went for the tallest slice of cheesecake I ever saw.

In sum, this was a great meal, well worth the tariff.  Try getting that dinner at Peter Lugar’s for $30, plus tip.

Coming up: Port visit meals.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                    Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 8:43 PM (permalink)
                    I believe the French term you refer to is amuse bouche.

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                      Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 9:39 PM (permalink)
                        I can't stop scrolling back to look at that LAMB!!   Why no doggie bags? I'd be so sad....midnite leftovers are my favorite.    Mr. Mayor, I'm loving that idea . plus if we anchor in international waters all food becomes regionally appropriate.
                      <message edited by AHI MPLS on Sun, 01/24/10 9:44 PM>

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                        Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 9:48 PM (permalink)
                        the hot dog, pizza & burger look great.
                        what were the prices for the steaks & what did that whole meal cost?

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 10:53 PM (permalink)
                          enginecapt

I believe the French term you refer to is amuse bouche.

Thanks.  I originally wrote "ambouche", but I didn't find it in a French on line dictionary.

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 10:57 PM (permalink)
                            sk bob

the hot dog, pizza & burger look great.
                            what were the prices for the steaks & what did that whole meal cost?

The cost for the Great Art Steakhouse was $30 pp.  All the other food is included in your cruise price.  And believe me people do pack it away. 
                             It's late here so I'll be back tomorrow with the port food.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                              Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 11:52 PM (permalink)
                              JRPfeff

That cruise is a scary thought.  We might bankrupt the cruise line as the Roadfood group tours from the dining room to the buffet to the dessert bar to ...

I hope The BuffetBuster doesn't get word of this Idea. I own stock in the Company!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                                Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Sun, 01/24/10 11:58 PM (permalink)
                                Crew84row:
                                "The State of Florida is restricting employee travel so I don't wander to far from Tallahassee anymore."

I don't get it? How can the state restrict Employee travel? Last I remembered, FL was still in the USA, and in the USA, we're still free to travel anywhere we damn well please!, (Except Iran or Somalia, and who the hell wants to go there anyway!)

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 12:31 AM (permalink)
                                  mayor al

JRP- RE- a RF Cruise.
                                     Hey , their food costs would go up, but think of the fuel and port fees they would save.  They leave port, sail out of sight of land, drop anchor and sit for 7 days, then return to the dock. I can't think of a RF member who would notice the lack of "ports-a-call" or shore-leave !!!
                                  AL

Al, I would. When I travel I want to experience all the different food available in strange cities.

I think the Sterns, Mr. Rushmore and Co. need to think about and plan an official RF cruise.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                    Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                    AHI MPLS

It's only when you start walking around the dining room snapping pictures of other people's food that she need be embarrassed! 

I figured out the trick to that !!  I just use my ZOOM lens on those other people !

ellen4641

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                      Foodbme

Crew84row:
                                      "The State of Florida is restricting employee travel so I don't wander to far from Tallahassee anymore."

I don't get it? How can the state restrict Employee travel? Last I remembered, FL was still in the USA, and in the USA, we're still free to travel anywhere we damn well please!, (Except Iran or Somalia, and who the hell wants to go there anyway!)

He must mean that he works for the State of Florida....
                                      & he is getting sent on less business trips nowadays...

ellen4641

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 1:12 AM (permalink)
                                        JRPfeff

LOL, JRPfeff !!!   Best laugh I had all day.....!!!!

Great report, thus far, CREW84row !!  Can't wait for Part 2, tomorrow...
                                        I luv seeing pics of cruise ship food !
                                        That charbroiled burger looks decent, and so does that choc. meltaway dessert, and the apple pie !!

I've got my bf trained to expect that I DO take pics of my food.... (and luckily it does'nt bother him.... but if it DID, I would know
                                        right away I'm with the WRONG guy !!!)
                                        Cuz, unfortunately, I've become obsessed with taking food pics!
                                        (there ARE worst habits a gal could have, though, huh?!?)

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                          Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 8:03 AM (permalink)
                                          Carnival does a very good job with their food.  I always like to have a meal at the local joints on every island also.

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                            Foodbme

Crew84row:

foodbme...we're restricted from taking trips on the State's $ like conferences or training or visiting other state agencies in other cities unless critical to our mission.  Sorry for the confusion. 

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                              AHI MPLS

I can't stop scrolling back to look at that LAMB!!   Why no doggie bags? I'd be so sad....midnite leftovers are my favorite.    Mr. Mayor, I'm loving that idea . plus if we anchor in international waters all food becomes regionally appropriate.

Ahi---they also have New Zealand lamb chops offered in the Main Dining Room one evening.

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                                [size=3 font="times new roman"]We ate on shore while in 3 ports, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya.  It was raining in Roatan, so we stayed around the cruise center area and accompanying beach, as it’s a long trek to the West End.  Besides, my favorite place on the West End from past visits, Mavis and Dixie’s, had closed last summer.   So we just grabbed a bit on the ship.
                                                [size=3 font="times new roman"]In Cozumel, we had arranged for a private tour with Gerry, the Cozumel taxi guide.  The weather was blustery and not a good beach day, so this worked out just fine.  We stopped briefly at Paradise Beach and began our tour with an early morning margarita.

[size=3 font="times new roman"]We then went on down to the lighthouse and eco park at Punta Sur and started up the “wild” east side stopping at Playa Bonita for lunch.
                                                [size=3 font="times new roman"]Cerviche…octypus, conch, and shrimp.
                                                [size=3 font="times new roman"]Look at the size of those chips?  The salsa and pico de gallo were fresh and very tasty.

[size=3 font="times new roman"]Sister-in-law had a shrimp dish, that was also very good.  Gerry had some cerviche on little gordita cakes that were excellent.  But none of us got a picture.
                                                 Gerry also joined the maharachis group and sang for us (Warning no food in this picture).
                                                [size=3 font="times new roman"]We finished our tour going completely around the island’s main roads.  And returned to the pier area where the ship awaited us.

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                                  [size=3 font="times new roman"]Two days later, we were in Belize City.  The weather started out rather miserably, so we cancelled our tentative plans to take a water taxi out to Caye Caulker and try to find Carlos with his grill and fresh caught fish in kabobs.
                                                   My brother in law decided what the heck and jumped into a snorkeling excursion out to the barrier reef  as space became available when others cancelled.  In Belize, ships anchor off shore because the approach is very shallow and ever changing.  You take a tender into the town.  My wife decided to stay on board ship.  So my sister-in-law and I took the tender over to the Tourist Village where the tenders dock and went out on a self guided walking tour of Belize City, crossing over the swing bridge between north and south  city areas, visiting the old St John’s church, a museum and roaming down a couple of major streets.  I hoped to stop at Jambel’s Jerk Pit and try some local jerk chicken or pork. When we were in Belize last spring, another guy and I wanted to go there, but we were on a Mayan ruins tour that barely got us back to the pier before the last tender left for the ship. 
                                                  [size=3 font="times new roman"]Well, we found it!
                                                  [size=3 font="times new roman"] Or what was left of it.  Evidently the owner died abotu a year ago and they sold the place and are tearing i down.  That’s one stop you can scratch off your Roadfood itinerary to Central America.
                                                  There were other eating places along the way. 

This woman’s little shop sold more than just fruits and veggies.

And Carmita’s sure had an interesting selection for food pairing.

But if gnawing on pigs tails and prunes left you a bit queasy, all you had to do was cross the street and this guy could either cure you or put you out of your misery.

We wound up at the popular Wet Lizard inside the Tourist village. 

There we feasted on meat pies and conch fritters washed down with Belikan beer.

Then grabbed a tender back to the ship.

Next up Costa Maya

crew84row

Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                                    Our last port was Costa Maya, which is just on the mainland up a ways from Belize but south of Cancun and Playa del Carmen.   This area was devastated by Hurricane Dean in 2007 and is just now being rebuilt.  The cruise pier area has been rebuilt and they are developing a shopping area just outside of the pier.

The only thing opened there is the Tequila Museum, LOL.

Three of us went power snorkeling on a beach a few miles north of the pier.  My sister-in-law stayed on the ship. There was nothing around us.  Nearest houses were a kilometer or more south and a couple of them showed extensive hurricane damage. 

After we returned, my brother-in-law went back to the ship to take a nap.  My wife wanted to look around at the shops inside the port area.  So I went back out to the area being developed and grabbed a taxi to what used to be a quiet little fishing village, just south of the port called Majahual (ma-ha-wall).  $3.  The little village is no longer sleepy with 3 ships in port.  They have an asphalt strip called a malecon running down the beach with the beach on one side and shops and restaurants on the other.  This is very similar to Puerto Vallarta, but not as fancy.  You can even get a massage right on the beach for $20.

Some Canadian divers I had chatted on line with late last year, recommended I try a little hole in the wall place one block west of the malecon called 100% Agave. 

It has a thatch roof courtyard and the owner, Fernando, is very cordial.  He has an extensive menu of meats and seafoods.  And he serves beers you cannot get in the US, like Leon Negra and Montenjo, which is brewed only in Yucatan.  I was the only one in the place, despite the packed beach area a block away.

Chips came served in a conch shell with the salsa in one of the opened cavities

I noticed he offered tacos lechon on the menu and not being very hungry, I ordered them.  The pig was roasted moist and tender and the marinated red onions and fiery salsa rojo  enhanced the flavor.  It was a great meal.

Fernando, on hearing that I “knew” the Canadians--who had dined there nearly every night for a week in November while on a dive trip—brought me a shot of his tequila, saying I didn’t need salt or lime.  Wow! This was delicious!  Very smooth and citrusy. Like a fine brandy.  I asked him who the distillery was and he pointed to a wooden barrel.

He said he could sell me about a liter water bottle for $5.  But I had no bottle to pour it in.  “No problem,” he said.  And he went across the street to a little store and came back with an empty plastic water bottle, poured a large measuring vessel full of tequila out of the spicket and poured it into the bottle.  Total bill for 2 beers, tacos and tequila--$12 US. 

If you’re ever down in Costa Maya or Majahual, stop in and tell Fernando, “Crewsweeper” told you about his place, 100% Agave.

I stumbled back to the ship in plety of time not to get left running down the pier.  And the plastic bottle made it throug the screening and later thrugh customs.  The tequila has been transferred to a decanter and it will rotate with my rye and scotch as my sipping whiskeies for the next few months.

That' the end of my cruise food review.  But don't dispair.  We're going on the Carniva Dream again in May.  We'll be doing the Eastern Cribbean with sops in Nassau, St Thomas and St Maartin.  Ihope to get to Fish Fry in Nassau and find a lolo( local BBQ shacks) or two in St Maartin.  ot sue about St Thomas as Mountaintop with is chair lift,burned down last spring. There goes a daquiri with a view.   If you want to see somthing specific on the ship or know of a spot I need to try on any of the 3 islands, please let me know.

Enjoy.

Crew

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                      • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                      Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                                      Great post and photos! Thanks!

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                                        • Location: Columbia, SC
                                                        Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                                        Gorgeous!  So did you try anything that surprised you?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                                          • Location: Pittston, PA
                                                          Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 1:53 PM (permalink)
                                                          crew84row, Great report on the local stuff!

Cerviche in Mexico......You are a heck of a lot braver than I am

MetsLegacy

• Total Posts: 13
                                                            • Location: Long Island, NY
                                                            Re:DREAMy Cruise Eating Mon, 01/25/10 5:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            Looks like a gorgeous area with some good looking food. The tequila museum looks pretty interesting!    

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com