Dairy Queen Hot Dogs

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Hotdog-Gal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
2004/02/20 14:07:48 (permalink)

Dairy Queen Hot Dogs

Has anyone had their hotdogs? I especially like their chili and cheese footlong. I was surprised at how good they are. Does anyone know who makes the hotdogs they sell? Not a bad dog for fast food.

47 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/02/20 14:28:22 (permalink)
    I can't recall every ordering a hot dog at the hundreds of times I have eaten at the Dairy Queen. I can't get past the tacos - my favorite, or the occasional Hungerbuster or Dude.

My first job in high school was at the Dairy Queen, and I cannot remember what kind of chili they used.

I do remember that there was a man that would come through the drive up and order a chili sundae. Ice cream with chili on top.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/02/20 14:32:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hummelgal

Has anyone had their hotdogs? I especially like their chili and cheese footlong. I was surprised at how good they are. Does anyone know who makes the hotdogs they sell? Not a bad dog for fast food.

I had one of their chili and cheese footlongs last week. I didn't care for it. The hotdog was mushy.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1097
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/02/20 15:08:43 (permalink)
    I've found that the coney dogs at Dairy Queen can vary quite a bit from place to place. Where I grew up and where my parents still live, Bloomington, IN, the local Dairy Queen has a coney where the sauce is basically just like sloppy joe filling. It is in no way chili. These are actually my favorite coneys in the world and I get one every time I visit them. The ones, here in Ohio have more of a chili sauce. And even some of the ones here are slightly different as I have been to some places that use slices of american cheese and some the use a shredded cheddar. This is probably because most of the places are individually owned and operated. They must give the owners a lot of freedom to choose how they run things.

And actually the same thing is true with the ice cream. In Indiana (or at least in Bloomington), they do not have the chocolate soft serve like we do here.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/02/20 15:15:02 (permalink)
    I used to always like a chili cheese footlong after Sunday night's bowling and beer. Was it due to the beer ya think?? Actually I really did like them. Beats the hell outta Checkers. We no longer have Dairy Queen's. The closest one to me is off I-95 in Bunnell and it looked to be struggling a couple of weeks ago.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/02/24 08:33:02 (permalink)
    This calls for a comment from John Fox. John have u tried dogs from DQ in NJ?
    BPTHC
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/02/24 10:01:19 (permalink)
    I went to school in WV and used to live across the street from a DQ.There Hot dogs were good but a little small.I was always a fan of the bun.They used to butter and grill it which gave the dog a great taste.This was the 1st time I learned of putting cole slaw on a hot dog....ewwww
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/02/24 10:04:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BPTHC

I went to school in WV and used to live across the street from a DQ.There Hot dogs were good but a little small.I was always a fan of the bun.They used to butter and grill it which gave the dog a great taste.This was the 1st time I learned of putting cole slaw on a hot dog....ewwww

We also had a Dairy Queen where my Grandfather lived in Rainelle W.Va. It was always a treat to go there when we were visiting. Cole slaw was a condiment as well but I always skipped it. Same buns.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/02/25 21:22:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by howard8

This calls for a comment from John Fox. John have u tried dogs from DQ in NJ?

Howard8,
    I have not tried a hot dog from Dairy Queen. But, as hatteras04 stated, they are different according to location. The one closest to me serves dirty water Sabrett. Another location close by serves Thumann's that are grilled. The same goes for Stewart's Root Beer in N.J. Different dogs and different methods of cooking depending on the location.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/03/17 18:07:54 (permalink)
    Never had a DQ doggie, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for a Sonic's footlong with the works including slaw, cheese, & chili. Don't forget the cheese tots on the side and a Route 44 Coke.
    E. J.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/05/04 22:55:49 (permalink)
    There's a DQ in New Smyrna Beach, FL that has resisted the chain's attempts to make them expand into a full size DQ and as a result they continue to serve only ice cream and hot dogs. Their hot dogs are different from other DQ's - they are Kahn's and I don't know where they get their buns but their trick is to steam them up together a bit when ordered and they are awesome. NSB is about 12 miles south of Daytona and the DQ is on U.S. 1. Prepare to stand in line when visiting.
    Ironbabba
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/05/05 00:58:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BPTHC

Try a chili/cheese & Slaw dog.......OUTSTANDING!
    dharma dog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/05/16 21:53:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I do remember that there was a man that would come through the drive up and order a chili sundae. Ice cream with chili on top.

..Awww, that's just disgusting!
    Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/05/16 22:34:00 (permalink)
    I haven't seen a Dairy Queen in Southern California, for ever so long. Rex in expensive San Diego
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/05/16 23:24:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

Never had a DQ doggie, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for a Sonic's footlong with the works including slaw, cheese, & chili. Don't forget the cheese tots on the side and a Route 44 Coke.

I'm with you on this one! I'll take a Sonic coney over our local "Coney Island" dog any day!
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/05/17 19:11:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rex Allen

I haven't seen a Dairy Queen in Southern California, for ever so long. Rex in expensive San Diego

There are still a couple of DQs on this side of the continent. In the High Desert area we have one of those half DQ and half Orange Julius stands in the mall. Their dogs are horrible, they leave them on one of those rotisseries (like you find in a 711) all day and the things turn to rubber. Not at all worth the $4 price tag.
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/05/17 19:38:24 (permalink)
    I used to eat the DQ dogs at a location in Gray, Tn that I don't think is there anymore. I'd get them on my lunch break and hope there wouldn't be too many trips to the bathroom afterwords. I actuall went to a dairy Queen in London, Ky where they ran out of icecream! All they had left were the Dilly Bars! This is pathetic but true!
    archinIL
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/06/03 12:43:32 (permalink)
    Around here, the dogs at the "Grill and Chill" DQ's are a lot bigger, and better, than the other DQ's. And their coney sauce is at least decent. Really, it is the only edible coney dog in the area. Not much "dog selection" in town here. Odd that we are this close to chicago, and there isn't even a chicago style stand around here either.

There is an old A&W about 40 minutes to the north that is decent, though not great, as well. The few other places around here that sell chilli or coney dogs are either hot dogs with sloppy joe sauce, or they have "midwestern style" chilli on them, kidney beans and all.
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/06/03 14:09:10 (permalink)
    I used to Manage a Dairy Queen up till a year ago. We actually microwaved our dogs. Not to surpising, we sold about 2 a week.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/06/03 14:48:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by archinIL

Around here, the dogs at the "Grill and Chill" DQ's are a lot bigger, and better, than the other DQ's. And their coney sauce is at least decent. Really, it is the only edible coney dog in the area. Not much "dog selection" in town here. Odd that we are this close to chicago, and there isn't even a chicago style stand around here either.

There is an old A&W about 40 minutes to the north that is decent, though not great, as well. The few other places around here that sell chilli or coney dogs are either hot dogs with sloppy joe sauce, or they have "midwestern style" chilli on them, kidney beans and all.

I'm not familiar with any hot dog stands in your area, but there's an restaurant in Beloit, WI called the Gun Club. It's an old fashioned supper club that serves excellent food. www.wtvo.com/Global/story.asp?S=1549380&OreZJ5Ow
    aquarius0385
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/07/19 07:37:10 (permalink)
    I love Dairy Queen footlong coney dogs...they are really good, but i am not too sure what kind of dog or sauce they use, but i do know and agree w/ u, that they are very delicious..i dont know if they vary city to city, but in my hometown of Urbana, Ohio, they are excellent!! and now i reside in Ironton, Ohio, and the dogs here at the Dairy Queen taste just as good as Urbana, so i am not too sure...have a good one!!
    JoeJoe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/09/10 19:03:11 (permalink)
    I can remember a very long time ago having a hot dog at a DQ. I was very young at the time; but if memory serves me correctly, it wasn't a foot long; but a regular size hot dog that I had. I can remember it being split down the middle and it was placed in a New England Style Hot Dog Bun. The bun is what surprised me; because I had not seen one before. It was a DQ that had a BRAZIER kitchen...
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/09/11 03:31:39 (permalink)
    I find DQ hotdogs lacking in flavor and limp.
    archinIL
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/10/21 14:52:51 (permalink)
    I have found DQ dogs to vary quite a bit. I prefer the dogs at the "Grill and Chill" DQ's, and don't care for them much at the original style DQ's. The chilli sauce/ coney sauce used by DQ Grill and Chill is about as it gets around here (Northern Ill). Seems like around here, I'll order a "chilli dog", and end up with a bowl of chilli (with beans) on a hot dog.

Hard to find a good dog around here. We're just out of the reach of Chicago and the burbs, so there are no good Chicago style places in town. I was originally born near Detroit, MI, and thus appreciate a good eastern style dog as well. Which, unfortunately, I have to go out east for.
    The Scarlet Pumpernickel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/11/02 19:00:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

I've found that the coney dogs at Dairy Queen can vary quite a bit from place to place. Where I grew up [Bloomington, IN], the local Dairy Queen has a coney where the sauce is basically just like sloppy joe filling. It is in no way chili. These are actually my favorite coneys in the world and I get one every time I visit them. The ones, here in Ohio have more of a chili sauce. And even some of the ones here are slightly different as I have been to some places that use slices of american cheese and some the use a shredded cheddar. This is probably because most of the places are individually owned and operated. They must give the owners a lot of freedom to choose how they run things.

The Dairy Queen nearest me in Alpharetta GA uses the shredded cheddar and the chili sauce. Their Ultimate Cheeseburger (two patties, bacon, lettuce, tomato and pickles and special sauce) blows away any other fast food joint,including Burger King's Angus burgers or Hardee's Thickburgers. This location seems to be staffed entirely by Indians.
    If they would start offering seikh kabob dogs and tandoori chicken sandwiches, I'd probably eat there more often.

TSP
    LoyalTubist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/12/28 14:36:27 (permalink)
    Dairy Queen hot dogs vary by location. When I lived in Texas, they used those red-dyed dogs which you can only find here in Southern California at grocery stores that get their supplies directly from places in the Midwest and South. You get chicken dogs, laced with pork, here.
    LoyalTubist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/12/28 14:42:56 (permalink)
    Actually, the best hot dog stand in Southern California is Pink's on La Brea Avenue, just north of Melrose Avenue in Hollywood. You do see many movie and television stars there but the main attraction is the dogs, many of which are named for celebrities. They use the dogs with skin casings. The buns are fresh. The chili for the chili dogs is just right. And the prices are cheap (no sales tax, either). They have a sign on top of the restaurant that says they use Hoffy hot dogs but if you buy Hoffy hot dogs at the grocery store, you won't get the kind with skin casings (might as well get something else!) The only bad thing about Pink's is that you might have to wait an hour in line to get your wiener. But they are open until after the bars are closed!
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/12/28 14:55:14 (permalink)
    I hope that Loyaltubist posts again. It sounds like you know your dogs. Welcome to roadfood.com
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/12/28 15:22:06 (permalink)
    Used to love DQ foot longs with chili on trips to lake in Ohio as a kid. But on trips to South, we wouldn't eat any hot dogs because for some reason they used to dye all hot dogs BRIGHT red in South which freaked us out for some reason. This is no longer common practice down here, but they still sell bright red hot dogs in grocery stores here for traditionalists. Any long-term Southerners know the origin of the red dye practice?
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Dairy Queen Hot Dogs 2004/12/28 16:32:29 (permalink)
    don't particularly care for much of DQ food-- other than their chicken strips.. they are awesome and i am not sure if it's the chicken or the gravy they give you to dip it on - or the toast that goes with it.. but the chicken strips rock.. other than that-- i don't care for DQ food.. especially their fries.. they always taste undercooked-- no matter what DQ i go to = they are all about the same.. i do, however, enjoy their vanilla cones dipped in chocolate or their french vanilla moooo lattes.. hmmmm those are good..........
    :)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1