Dairy Queen

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/13 09:28:49 (permalink)
There is an ice cream war going on in my town.
Baskin-Robbins been here since forever vs.
Dairy Queen been there maybe 8 years vs.
Ben & Jerry opened 2 years ago vs.
Cold Stone Creamery opened this year.

When I am in the mood I still opt for a chocolate chip banana blizzard. Real bananas and the dipping sauce used for cones. I've been eating these since college in the '70s in Champaign, IL. They go down faster than a drunken prom date.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/13 10:33:46 (permalink)
tsores-
We can do a real sociologic evaluation of your community from the information you gave about the four ice cream stores.

B/R- Lots of older folks and Buick drivers ! Some discussions of favor selection take a long time and lead to major arguments. Why doesn't B/R bring back PINK GRAPEFRUIT? is the question of the day. Many FenderBenders in the parking lot due to poor depth-perception and one handed driving.

D Q- You've got a bunch of minivan driving Soccer team families too! The line at the drive-up window can look like a freeway tie-up each evening. RoadRage incidents increase as the waiting time for window space lengthens

B & J - Here's where you'll find the imported SUV's with the Mountain Bikes mounted (permanently welded?) on the racks on the back ! Late at night the strobe effect of the sneaker and armband red diode safety lights in the parking lot can be hypnotic. Flavor of the month is Wild Mountain Mooseberry with Granola Bit Topping.

Cold Stone- This parking lot will be full of the Full-Sized SUV's (the Navigators and Suburbans) as well as the Volvo Set. Customers here will have little tennis sweaters around their necks and talk of the cost of the Cheerleader camps their daughters are off to. The mixing of gummy-bears and oreo crumbs looks like the sweepings from a Movie-House floor, but Skippy and Buffy just grin and pay their $10 a scoop for the little cretins in the back seats.

Yeah I would say you live in a community that represents the Mainstream of America !!
No comment on the PromDate comment...but your pushing the envelope in Moderator Taste judgement !
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/13 11:10:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

tsores-
We can do a real sociologic evaluation of your community from the information you gave about the four ice cream stores.

B/R- Lots of older folks and Buick drivers ! Some discussions of favor selection take a long time and lead to major arguments. Why doesn't B/R bring back PINK GRAPEFRUIT? is the question of the day. Many FenderBenders in the parking lot due to poor depth-perception and one handed driving.

D Q- You've got a bunch of minivan driving Soccer team families too! The line at the drive-up window can look like a freeway tie-up each evening. RoadRage incidents increase as the waiting time for window space lengthens

B & J - Here's where you'll find the imported SUV's with the Mountain Bikes mounted (permanently welded?) on the racks on the back ! Late at night the strobe effect of the sneaker and armband red diode safety lights in the parking lot can be hypnotic. Flavor of the month is Wild Mountain Mooseberry with Granola Bit Topping.

Cold Stone- This parking lot will be full of the Full-Sized SUV's (the Navigators and Suburbans) as well as the Volvo Set. Customers here will have little tennis sweaters around their necks and talk of the cost of the Cheerleader camps their daughters are off to. The mixing of gummy-bears and oreo crumbs looks like the sweepings from a Movie-House floor, but Skippy and Buffy just grin and pay their $10 a scoop for the little cretins in the back seats.

Yeah I would say you live in a community that represents the Mainstream of America !!
No comment on the PromDate comment...but your pushing the envelope in Moderator Taste judgement !

Mr. Mayor: Not a bad assessment for being sight unseen. Pretty much on target.

PS: Apologies to all for the final comment.
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/13 18:09:26 (permalink)
In my town in central CA we used to have two DQ's. The last disappeared about 7 years ago. They had very good burgers and I always liked getting a small vanilla cone dipped in chocolate for 'dessert'. Sadly, now the nearest DQ is about 50 miles away.

I also miss the A&W rootbeer stands from my youth. Every town had one. I haven't seen one in years.

I think DQs and A&Ws in the past were mom & pop operations, for the most part, and they cooked food when it was ordered, thus it tasted so much better than the warmed up junk served at today's fast food places. That's one reason that we in CA love our 'In-N-Out Burger'. They're a throw back to the 50's style drive-ins. Fresh products, cooked only when ordered.

Dino
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/13 19:49:09 (permalink)
"Fresh products, cooked only when ordered."

Alas. The secret has been revealed.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/13 21:32:00 (permalink)
All the A&W rootbeer joints that have opened up in northern WV and Eastern PA seem to be attached to all of the Long John Silver stores. Thats enough to scare me away as some of that grease, smell, and taste has to meld into the burgers and other sandwiches.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/14 02:00:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Native Californians have a unique world view, cuz in my experience, a lot of them don't know what to make of the rest of the world when they find out it isn't like California. You seem not to be one of those.
:

In the opinion of this non-native Californian, for better or worse, the rest of the world is growing more like California every day.

Now gotta go 'cause surf's up, dude!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/14 10:18:42 (permalink)
Al the Mayor: I liked your astute observations on the variety of social class found at various ice cream competitors. But, where does the motorcycle crowd hang out - or more precisely, where do the Harley crowd hang out as opposed to everyone else on two wheels?

Cheers, John
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/14 10:46:26 (permalink)
I'm not sure where the Biker's go in tsores community...but here in Lanesville, Indiana they can be found at HOG'S TAVERN, CUSTARD STAND, & TIRE CENTER. Photo will be forthcoming later. Here you will find the leather-clad set knocking down their Corona's and scarfing the Hot Fudge Concretes while watching Bud and Bill change the wheel-weights on an 8 wheel John Deere Combine.
Most of these customers are weekend riders who watch ReRuns of "The Wild One" during the week and make the hour-long journey from Louisville thru the back roads to get to Lanesville on Saturday or Sunday. Then it's back to work as a personal Injury Lawyer, investment banker, or counterman at the Denny's out by the Interstate..
P S - During the week they would appear at one of the other ice cream stores in the guise of the 'birds using that feeder'.
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/14 12:09:28 (permalink)
I am proud to report that the Dairy Queen remains the "social hub" for many small Texas towns.

Some county singer my daughter listens to has a song out about "The King of the Dairy Queen".

I stopped at one on my way to Temple,TX last week in Lake Sommerville, and yep, there were two tables of "old codgers" having their afternoon chew n chat.

oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/07/15 19:56:14 (permalink)
A&W's used to RULE!

When I was way younger we used to travel to Wisconsin from Chicago and every time we went there we stopped at the A&W and had root beer floats and Mom and Dad always "popped" for a gallon of root beer to take back home. I don't think it lasted a week at our house.

You can get it today in cans but, not the same!

Good Memory!

Don
carlylynn88
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/18 02:28:02 (permalink)
I have worked at the Dairy Queen in my town for 4 years. Its the only burger I will eat from any type of fastfood joint. Everything there is so good and people love eating there because the burgers are made fresh instead of sitting there forever like other places. Chili Cheese dogs are also my favorite and DQ is definately known for the Chicken Strip Basket with Gravy!
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/24 00:10:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlylynn88

I have worked at the Dairy Queen in my town for 4 years. Its the only burger I will eat from any type of fastfood joint. Everything there is so good and people love eating there because the burgers are made fresh instead of sitting there forever like other places. Chili Cheese dogs are also my favorite and DQ is definately known for the Chicken Strip Basket with Gravy!

I also worked at the DQ for a couple summers during high school and for 3 months during a temporary layoff, and it was the only good food-service experience I had. I was mostly in the grill area, as I always tended to make the ice-cream products too large, and the owner was afraid I would put him out of business handing out cones that were a half-ounce over in weight.
Don't know if we did things "The DQ Way" there -- we had butter-toasted buns, grill-fried onions to order, and the owner was always bringing in some "test market" items like burger nuggets, and freezing soft-serve with mix-ins long before we got the Queen's Choice hard-pack ice cream. We had the BEST grill in town, but alas, it changed ownership shortly after I left, and the new owners messed everything up...
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/24 17:23:36 (permalink)
I ate at a DQ on Sunday in Chattanooga near Hamilton Place Mall, and the fish sandwich was quite good, and the toffee cheesequake blizzard was wonderful. The restaurant is a bit upscale with clean restrooms, and the food is brought to your table.
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/24 18:30:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Marco

My experience with DQ is it varies from location to location. Our local DQ, for instance, served pretty good burgers. If they're flame broiled, they are very good.

I've eaten at other DQ locations that did not flame broil the burgers and they tasted...well...just nasty.

I also love chili dogs and as far as I'm concerned, DQ's chili dogs barely rise above average.

I believe the DQ's that flame broil have "Brashier" (sp) on their signs.
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/24 21:12:17 (permalink)
Brazier is the term, which outside of Texas refers to any Dairy Queen with a grill. Dairy Queen of Texas is an entirely separate, although related, operation from the DQs in the rest of the country, with a more substantial and, I think, tastier menu. I do miss my BeltBusters and Country Baskets, although as it happens, I had a Peanut Buster Parfait just last night at the DQ in Ipswich, MA, after the traditional post-beach dinner at the Clam Box.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/24 22:22:04 (permalink)
This brings back a memory. Locally, when I was a kid, we had a Dairy Queen and a Carvel. I preferred the Dairy Queen, I believe in part because the place was more comfortable, and more accessible by bike. One night, when I was around 10 and staying over at my grandparents', my grandmother took me there for a Brazier Burger. I thought it tasted horrible. Roughly 30 years later, I've never tasted one again. I've often wondered whether it was really that bad, or if I was simply demonstrating the fickleness of a 10-year-old. I'll probably allow the answer to remain a mystery.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/24 23:07:12 (permalink)
My link to the D Q menu wasn't with the Burgers it was the Soft-Serve. My favorite Sundae was the Dixie-Belle Carmel/Butterscotch and Hot Fudge with a bunch of Pecans on the top Put all that on the rich soft-serve and you had a great treat.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/26 14:44:53 (permalink)
You can't get a better "fast food" taco in Texas than at the Dairy Queen. They come three to an order and are served in the little DQ boxes that the Country baskets come in.

I was in one DQ in a small town, I can't remember where, and there was a sign that said "Beans and Cornbread Nite - Every Thursday".
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/26 15:47:30 (permalink)
dairy queen makes this 'shake' with chunks of chocolate,etc.(they advertise this on TV)that is decadence itself,a great item. In Tampa,we have one that always puts out a decent product,it is clean and staffed w/ nice folks(no easy feat!)......love their chili dogs,burgers and ,of course,wonderful ice cream. Dairy queen is the chain that breaks the 'all chains are #^%#^ 'mold.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/27 03:05:55 (permalink)
I realize this may ruin my "cred" around here, but I like their BBQ pork sandwiches. I've been known to eat 3 of 'em for dinner. This may say more about the lack of BBQ alternatives in the places where I live than it does about the quality of DQ's "Q", but still I'm glad to have 'em.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/08/27 03:09:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oldfrt

A&W's used to RULE!

When I was way younger we used to travel to Wisconsin from Chicago and every time we went there we stopped at the A&W and had root beer floats and Mom and Dad always "popped" for a gallon of root beer to take back home. I don't think it lasted a week at our house.

You can get it today in cans but, not the same!

Good Memory!

Don

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing an A&W in . . .OKINAWA, JAPAN (in 1974). The only US fast food franchise there that I know of. Go figure!
danfling
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/10/14 15:44:53 (permalink)
I live in Central Mississippi, and, for some odd reasons, the Dairy Queens never stay in business.

I remember that Dairy Queen was the first restaurant built on High Street. And, one time, the president of the Dairy Queen came here and said that the High Street Dairy Queen did more business than any other Dairy Queen in the world.

My sister lived near there (in the Belhaven College area), and that was the closest fast food restaurant to her house.

However, other places started opening on High Street (Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Popeyes, Whataburger, Penn's Catfish) and the Dairy Queen was torn down.

I think that there are only about two in the Central Mississippi area now.

The ones in Raymond and Hazlehurst have gone out of business. There used to be two on Highway 51 South (one near Jackson State and one near McDowell Road) but they have both closed.

A lot of people would only used Dairy Queen to buy ice-cream cakes, but I never liked those too much.

I did love the hamburgers, though!

Redskin204
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/10/15 18:14:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

I'm going to give a big "thumbs up" to my "usual" at DQ: a BBQ sandwich (hey, it's shredded pork, not beef and that makes it edible in my book) and a chocolate dip cone. Yum!

Oh yeah! I haven't had a Brown Crown in far too long. Thanks for mentioning that. Brought back a lot of good memories to me.

Redskin204
cleoschyck
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Dairy Queen 2004/10/18 17:20:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Brazier is the term, which outside of Texas refers to any Dairy Queen with a grill. Dairy Queen of Texas is an entirely separate, although related, operation from the DQs in the rest of the country, with a more substantial and, I think, tastier menu. I do miss my BeltBusters and Country Baskets, although as it happens, I had a Peanut Buster Parfait just last night at the DQ in Ipswich, MA, after the traditional post-beach dinner at the Clam Box.

Oh man, does THAT bring back memories. That DQ was the one I grew up going to. (And yeah, the Clam Box, and Crane Beach.) Here in Tucson, DQ is barely limping along . . . but I'm staying loyal, if only for their chocolate-covered bananas.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1