Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Greezy S. Poon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2003/09/15 00:14:39 (permalink)

Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In

Noting the dearth of meaningful commentary regarding our food emporia here in the metroplex, Greezy will do his best to fling out a few suggestions from time to time. I am strictly into mom and pops, however; the horrendous ersatz fare at chain restaurants is well deserved by the sweaty masses who DON'T GET IT when it comes to Roadfood. So, here goes the first one:

Greezy insists not only on quality but value. In my opinion, the best Italian food for the money can be had at Vito's in Irving, just a stone's throw from the DFW airport. It's at the southeast corner of Hwy 183 and Esters in a strip shopping center. Everything is simple, fresh, delicious and dirt cheap. Their homemade tomato vinaigrette salad dressing is so good you could drink it. Try the chicken piccata--perfect tanginess and melts in your mouth. Wonderful marinara sauce, too. Everything comes with hot garlic bread at no extra cost.

More later; it's getting late. I'll have some bad news regarding a recent visit to the original Sonny Bryan's Barbeque.

30 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/15 01:19:06 (permalink)
    GSP, I had a less than glowing report about Sonny's too from a cousin who used to work nearby and swear by the place. So despite the fact that I was only a few hundred yards away last month, I did not stop in.

One of my favorite mom and pop type places is the Mecca on Harry Hines, just north of Northwest Highway, breakfast and lunch only. I love their yeast rolls.
    Greezy S. Poon
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/15 23:13:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

GSP, I had a less than glowing report about Sonny's too from a cousin who used to work nearby and swear by the place. So despite the fact that I was only a few hundred yards away last month, I did not stop in.

One of my favorite mom and pop type places is the Mecca on Harry Hines, just north of Northwest Highway, breakfast and lunch only. I love their yeast rolls.

Ahh, the Mecca. Signman GETS IT! Greezy must speak in hushed tones of this Dallas icon. If you can get there before the cinnamon rolls are gone and then, when leaving, you get run over in the parking lot (more likely than you think), you will die happy.

As for the original Sonny Bryan's, Greezy just doesn't know what to think. On the last visit, the brisket was actually stringy and tough, and the ribs had been held over from the previous day. Yes, my friends--the ultimate horror! Greezy must sign off now...just too emotional to continue.
    irisardor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/16 11:05:22 (permalink)
    I don't trust any BBQ joint, or restaurant, that expands to multiple locations. The quality nearly always suffers. I admire Angelo's in Fort Worth for refusing many offers to open other locations or, God forbid, franchise. I want the owner, pit boss, or executive chef on premises.
    Greezy S. Poon
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/16 23:08:31 (permalink)
    Amen! Angelo's would be Greezy's choice, as well, for the best BBQ the metroplex has to offer. While you're in that Ft. Worth neighborhood, drive westbound from Angelo's on White Settlement Road until reaching University Drive and turn left (southbound). In a few blocks, on the right, you will see a former Taco Bell that has been turned into a seafood dive--J&J Oyster Bar at 612 University Drive. Now that, my friends, is a good use for a chain restaurant: Abandon the building and let someone use it who doesn't prepare food on an assembly line! J&J ain't pretty, mind you, but these folks have got seafood figured out. Greezy's favorites would be anything done to shrimp. Boiled or fried, it's a thing of beauty--best in the area, in Greezy's opinion. The joint is considerate enough to serve you a big dollop of horseradish with your cocktail sauce in case you want to load up for a good sinus cleaning.
    Sheepish
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/22 23:36:32 (permalink)
    Wow, I had no idea Sonny Bryan's had gotten so bad! That's just terrible! Man! And ya know, I must have passed J&J's a million times because I'm ALWAYS in that area. LOL I know exactly where it is and I always wanted to go check it out, but I just never got around to it. I have to pass it on my way to Harper's Bluebonnet Bakery. ROFL I have to get my cookies, ya know. ;) HAHA

BTW, I was just coming to this board to start a new thread about where to eat in the metroplex. HA! Glad I checked around first.

Any other great places to eat? Thanks!
    signman
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/23 01:11:38 (permalink)
    Sheepish, Surely you've had the hamburger at Kincaid's on Camp Bowie.

As to other places, spend a little time going throuh the archived threads. Lots of DFW restaurants mentioned.
    Greezy S. Poon
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/24 00:38:16 (permalink)
    Ditto on Kincaid's. These burgers may not be the best in the DFW area, but they must be very close. They are at least as good as Prince's Hamburgers on Lemmon in Dallas. Another really good burger can be had at Keller's Drive-In on Harry Hines in Dallas. These places have been here since the world began to cool, and they're just as good as ever.

For pizza, it has to be Campisi's Egyptian on Mockingbird, just east of Hwy 75. Just thinking of the square, thin-crust pizza and marinated crab claw appetizer makes Greezy drool as he types.

On lower Greenville Avenue, Dodie's New Orleans Seafood is outstanding, and the spicy coleslaw is the most garlicky, pungent, sour, wonderful stuff ever concocted. Warning: If you take a date, don't eat the slaw. Your breath afterward could end the relationship.
    irisardor
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/24 19:37:26 (permalink)
    Kincaid's burgers are good but I really wish you could have tasted one before it became famous. My best friend's dad worked a second job as a Kincaid meatcutter. We all grew up within walking distance. At that time Pope-Kincaids was a neighborhood grocery just as the chain groceries were becoming more prominent. Today, all those chains stores would fit inside a modern grocery but Kincaids served just the small Arlington Heights area.

When they first starting cooking burgers there was little demand so nothing was done until an order was placed. Meat was ground as needed which you could watch. Lettuce was still on the head, onions and tomatoes uncut. When the supply was low, they walked around the counter and resupplied from the produce department.

Even before I left my hometown, Kincaids, because of their popularity, was forced to pre-grind, chop and slice their ingrediants
    placing them in plastic tubs awaiting their need.

I worked during high school as a short order cook at the Fort Worth Zoo. Even though we used quality ingrediants, pre-prepared they lost flavor quickly.

Those times can never be revisited but I still regret how recognition and popularity can, if not ruin, at least diminish the quality of the product.
    Greezy S. Poon
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/28 01:10:39 (permalink)
    Bookem,

That's so true about the difficulty of keeping the magic going as popularity rises and the volume increases. Like you, Greezy can think of many of his old faves that just don't have it anymore. Another burger joint that has not succumbed to modernity is the Burger House on Hillcrest in Dallas near SMU. This hole-in-the-wall has been around for half a century, cooking up excellent burgers and fries. The fries, by the way, are dusted with a secret spice blend after cooking that really compliments the flavor of the spuds. The owners won't tell you what's in the spice recipe, but they'll be glad to sell you some. Their burgers are very good, but they're still not the best Greezy has ever eaten. That distinction goes to the now-defunct Hamburger King, that used to be in a little lean-to on the square in downtown Belton, Texas. This little closet of a shack was so tiny that it would hold only two people to do the cooking and burger assembly. Everything was sold to go only, and it was run by a man and his wife for many years until the old man died a few years back. They always said that the secret was in the old grill, but the hand-formed meat patties and the owners' love for their customers had a lot to do with it, too.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/28 02:17:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bookem

Kincaid's burgers are good but I really wish you could have tasted one before it became famous. My best friend's dad worked a second job as a Kincaid meatcutter. We all grew up within walking distance. At that time Pope-Kincaids was a neighborhood grocery just as the chain groceries were becoming more prominent. Today, all those chains stores would fit inside a modern grocery but Kincaids served just the small Arlington Heights area.

When they first starting cooking burgers there was little demand so nothing was done until an order was placed. Meat was ground as needed which you could watch. Lettuce was still on the head, onions and tomatoes uncut. When the supply was low, they walked around the counter and resupplied from the produce department.

Even before I left my hometown, Kincaids, because of their popularity, was forced to pre-grind, chop and slice their ingrediants
    placing them in plastic tubs awaiting their need.

I worked during high school as a short order cook at the Fort Worth Zoo. Even though we used quality ingrediants, pre-prepared they lost flavor quickly.

Those times can never be revisited but I still regret how recognition and popularity can, if not ruin, at least diminish the quality of the product.

Great account, bookem. Not exactly on topic, but how do you compare Kincaids, then and now, to Lankford Grocery, Houston, if you've been?
    irisardor
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/28 14:39:13 (permalink)
    It is difficult to compare burgers eaten 30+ years apart. What I remember and still prefer about Kincaid's (besides the excellent beef), is that nothing was shredded or chopped. Intact iceburg lettuce peeled from the head, a solid onion slice, etc.

I ate at Lankford's only once before the Houston Chronicle "outed" them last year. I could not even find a place to park the only other time I tried to partake after that. As I recall, it was a very good but not spectacular burger. If I were to try again I would go early in the day and soon. Its once "low rent" location is now in the midst of the midtown revitalization meaning they will probably be bought out or taxed out as property values soar.

I like Jax Grill, especially when the weather is nice so I can sit on their patio. The burgers are mesquite grilled, the beer is icy cold, and they have other excellent selections.

I also like Bubbas's Texas Burger Shack for their buffalo burgers. In addition, buffalo is healthier than beef so I can add bacon and double cheese to compensate.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/28 20:56:29 (permalink)
    quote:

It is difficult to compare burgers eaten 30+ years apart. What I remember and still prefer about Kincaid's (besides the excellent beef), is that nothing was shredded or chopped. Intact iceburg lettuce peeled from the head, a solid onion slice, etc.

I ate at Lankford's only once before the Houston Chronicle "outed" them last year. I could not even find a place to park the only other time I tried to partake after that. As I recall, it was a very good but not spectacular burger. If I were to try again I would go early in the day and soon. Its once "low rent" location is now in the midst of the midtown revitalization meaning they will probably be bought out or taxed out as property values soar.

I like Jax Grill, especially when the weather is nice so I can sit on their patio. The burgers are mesquite grilled, the beer is icy cold, and they have other excellent selections.

I also like Bubbas's Texas Burger Shack for their buffalo burgers. In addition, buffalo is healthier than beef so I can add bacon and double cheese to compensate.

Man that sounds good. I've lived in Ft. Worth twice for brief periods; in 1970 I was just off Camp Bowie and apparently just a few blocks from Kincaid's and never knew of it. Aint' life grand? What I hear you saying is not only were the patties not prefab, neither were the fixins.

I have't even been whelmed by Lankford but I hear others compare it favorably to Kincaids. I try to get there before noon, preferably before 11:30. That whole over-sized meat patty, overstuffed bun approach to burgers is not my style. I approach bbq as a carnivorous experience but a burger is a 'well-rounded meal' and I like a balance of fixins vs. meat, etc. and something manageable. Actually I like a burger that starts out the picture of neatness and perfection but gets real messy in the process of being devoured, rather than one that's falling apart as soon as it's put in front of me.

Sweet Mesquite produces mesquite grilled burgers very similar to Jax; I like the location just off FM 1092 just north of TX 6 in Missouri City but some Sweet Mesquite's have bad reps. As far as fixins and sides go between SM and Jax, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Sweet Mesquite does have buffalo burgers but I haven't tried 'em.

Bubba's Texas Burger Shack hasn't impressed me, either, but I recently went into Pete's Fine Meats on Richmond hoping to get some chili and settled for a double cheeseburger instead and it was very, very good. Being a butcher shop I'm sure they grind their own meat fresh, tho I don't know that it's more often than once a day.

Thanks for your comments.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 304
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/28 21:04:20 (permalink)
    Brother's Pizza on Montfort is 80-85% of what an authentic NYC pizza should be. If I am in Dallas, that is good enough for me.

I will be stopping there next month on my way home from OKC. I will have some pizza and maybe spaghetti but I will be sure to buy an extra to take home. In the meantime, my car will smell like a pizza kitchen and that is not bad.

In fact, I will buy two pies, and throw in what I can not finish, so I will have lots of good pizza to take home.
    irisardor
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/29 11:41:13 (permalink)
    hermitt4d,

My mother thought Kincaid's put too much meat on their burgers but she would only eat them well done. Before germophopia came into prominence I ate them medium-rare. A thick patty cooked until it is sterile is vile and I don't know of anyplace that even inquires about how you want the meat cooked anymore. On rare occasions I grind a nice (on sale) chuck roast after washing it well. Grilled medium- rare, a blast from the past.

Excellent point about the surrounding ingrediants. On my first venture to yankee land I ordered a burger which turned out to be meat, bread, and catsup. Why bother? All things on a burger should be in harmony and you should taste some of everything in each bite (a burger is a band not a soloist). If you like mayo, it is a salad dressing and goes next to the fixins. Mustard is a meat condiment and they should be touching. If you prefer catsup on your burger you should either be seven years old or learn what a good tomato is. Buns should share the grill or at least be heated by some means.

Enjoy your remarks.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/29 12:57:07 (permalink)
    Guys, I'm in DFW next week, how about directions from the airport to Kincaids and Lankfords? I'm due for a great burger.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/29 14:01:23 (permalink)
    Oneiron. Go to the Sterns' review of Kincaid's on this sight and click on the directions link towards the top of the page. Plug in DFW as your starting point. If you have the address of Lankford's, you should be able to plug that in as well.

I was in the Dallas-Fort Worth area last week and hit Kincaid's just before I left on Saturday. Fun place. Enjoy.

quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

Guys, I'm in DFW next week, how about directions from the airport to Kincaids and Lankfords? I'm due for a great burger.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/30 02:20:51 (permalink)
    Lankford Grocery is in Houston. It doesn't have a review on this site. Bookem and I have been doing a long distance comparison.

If you're coming to Houston, let us know and I'll post instructions. The address is 88 Dennis Street in Houston, but it's difficult to find, even from a map.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/30 02:40:53 (permalink)
    quote:

hermitt4d,

Excellent point about the surrounding ingrediants. On my first venture to yankee land I ordered a burger which turned out to be meat, bread, and catsup. Why bother? All things on a burger should be in harmony and you should taste some of everything in each bite (a burger is a band not a soloist). If you like mayo, it is a salad dressing and goes next to the fixins. Mustard is a meat condiment and they should be touching. If you prefer catsup on your burger you should either be seven years old or learn what a good tomato is. Buns should share the grill or at least be heated by some means.

Enjoy your remarks.

And I yours.

I will accept an unheated bun provided it is perfectly fresh, but those are extremely rare. Another of my peeves is the cheeseburger you can't taste the cheese on and have to lift the bun to see if they remembered to put it on. Come to think of it, I had to do that my last visit to Lankford - the size of the cheese slice was puny compared to the patty.

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/30 08:54:22 (permalink)
    I haven't seen any of these Texas threads mention that an old Kansas City institution,"STROUD'S", has relocated to Fort Worth, bringing their outstanding fried chicken with them.
    signman
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/30 12:00:04 (permalink)
    Hillbilly, Need all the details please. Relocated. Does that mean they are no longer in KC?
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/09/30 12:20:40 (permalink)
    I was just in the Fort Worth area last week and noticed the Stroud's building just off I-30 a few miles east of Fort Worth. From what I could tell, it looked boarded up. Closed? A fire maybe? As for the one in Kansas City, it's still going strong.
    irisardor
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/10/06 08:22:29 (permalink)
    Stroud's announced they were coming to Fort Worth in June of 2001 and were closed by August 30, 2002. If you happen to be near Roanoke try Babe's Chicken Dinner House.

There are now two Stroud's in Kansas City and one in Wichita but I believe the Wichita location has different owners.
    signman
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2003/10/07 00:16:11 (permalink)
    I've been to Babe's in Garland. A good roadfood experience. Very good chicken and sides served family style.
    Greezy S. Poon
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2004/01/15 00:43:06 (permalink)
    Uh, sorry, Greezy took a little time off for the holidays. Back to slinking around now, investigating the mom-and-pops in the DFW area. Caught a fine little catfish joint last weekend, "Texas Best Catfish" at 2425 W. Kiest Blvd in Dallas. Now this little place isn't in the best part of town, but what really good joints are? The humble strip location belied the spotless interior, nicely dressed in wonderful Texana everywhere. We told Jeff Norton, the friendly proprietor, right up front that we are THE definitive catfish critic and that he had a steep hill to climb to impress us. Well, he did. The catfish wasn't perfect, mind you, but it came close. The filets were generous and ridiculously fresh. (Never frozen!, cried Jeff, indignant that we would even suggest otherwise.) The only blemish was that the cornmeal/flour coating had a tad too much flour, making it slightly clumpy. This was a minor hickey, however, and the freshly-cut french fries were appreciated. All in all, a fine, economical experience, and well worth the stop if you're in the area. Jeff says his spicy cajun catfish is his biggest seller. We'll be trying that on our next visit.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2004/01/15 01:35:17 (permalink)
    OK, I have followed this thread with all the interest that a "Just Passin' Thru " Turista can bring to bear. We are going to clip the corner of your fair city a week from Monday, on our way from Louisville down to Bushie's in Austin. We are looking at a lunch-time stop on that Monday. Our routing takes us down I-30 and around the perimeter freeway(I-635) to I-35(E) heading South.
    What we are looking for is several levels above drive-thru but not the $20 a plate luncheon either. Your catfish description sounds good , but I do not want to have to go downtown, or far off the GPS Program (joke) to find chow for a relatively quick stop.
    Thanks in advance for sharing the tips with this traveling foodie.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2004/01/15 05:29:12 (permalink)
    You know---i just read through this enitre thread and it has convinced me that i NEED to visit the DFW area! Great commentary---and these places all seem like exactly the kind of place i would be eating lunch at if i lived there. Looks like you food fans in DFW get it,big time.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2004/01/15 10:12:39 (permalink)
    What about Barbeck's?
    signman
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2004/01/15 11:20:01 (permalink)
    Mayor, If you've never been, I would take 30 into downtown and then exit for 35 E south then exit west on Davis for a stop at Gennie's Bishop Grill. Only open from 11 - 2, served from a steam table cafeteria style, so no long wait, one of the best chicken fried steaks and homemade yeast rolls like you didn;t think anyone made anymore. Should be reviewed on this site.

As you head south on 35 after leaving Dallas, look for the Turkey Shop in Abbott. You'll see the giant turkey sign.

If the Panthers reach the Super Bowl, I may be arriving in Austin on Wednesday the 28th just in time for lunch.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Dallas/Ft. Worth Checks In 2004/01/15 14:16:40 (permalink)
    Signman,
    We will be leaving Austin after Breakfast with Bushie on Wed mid-morning..heading West. Plan to be in L A Friday evening.
    Thanks for the tips
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1