Danbury, Ct.-Plymouth, Ma.-Newport,RI Trip

Author
John from Pa.
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
2003/10/11 08:51:17 (permalink)

Danbury, Ct.-Plymouth, Ma.-Newport,RI Trip

We are heading for New England next week - a night in Danbury, Ct. to Plymouth, Ma. & then Newport, RI. Any suggestions for those towns & in-between(restaurants already on the Roadfood list or others) that are NOT fast food hamburger/hot dog places but more healthy meat & vegetable type meals? Thanks for any ideas!

6 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Danbury, Ct.-Plymouth, Ma.-Newport,RI Trip 2003/10/11 11:04:34 (permalink)
    As you pas thru Newburgh, NY on your way to NE you might want to get off I-84 , get onto Broadway ( NY 17K) and head east on Broadway about a mile from the NY Thruway interchange. you'll see a kind of ratty looking mall on your left. The Barnstormer BBQ is located there. It is very good North Carolna style Pig - worth a small detour for lunch.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Danbury, Ct.-Plymouth, Ma.-Newport,RI Trip 2003/10/11 11:29:05 (permalink)
    In Newport, try the Salvation Cafe on Broadway - good, inventive fresh and flavorful food, casual/funky atmosphere. A nice break from the Thames St. scene or the more posh places. Moderately expensive. They have a website at http://www.salvationcafe.com that gives a menu (though I'm not sure how up-to-date it is.)

JL
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Danbury, Ct.-Plymouth, Ma.-Newport,RI Trip 2003/10/12 08:53:29 (permalink)
    John...Plymouth is a nice take this time of year! I grew up in that area and in central MA! But that's not what you want to hear! Anyway in Plymouth there are 2 places I highly recommend (been to lunch at both places...lunch is always your best buy!): "Bert's Cove" right on the water on Rte. 3A (140 Warren Ave.). Be sure to check out the photos they have when "the storm" hit!Upon entering request a seat w/ a view. They are very accomodating. Food is great NE sea fare etc. Prices are reasonable for that area. Don't forget you are in "Tourist Central"! Dress is casual. If you like fish that's what I would order. Their clam chowder is great too!
    Another place in Plymouth at the other end of town (north of Bert's)again right on the water,is "McGrath's Harbor Restaurant" on Town Wharf Plymouth MA, 508-746-9751. Again request to sit where there's a view! Food is great,prices are right,service excellent! I used to take my Dad into both places just a couple of years ago. He watched his pennies and loved good food! They are both "wheelchair accessable". They are both considered "Plymouth Institutions"!
    By the way, would someone please tell me how you insert a website! UGH! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Danbury, Ct.-Plymouth, Ma.-Newport,RI Trip 2003/10/12 11:23:51 (permalink)
    Great seafood near the water in Newport---SCALES AND SHELLS. The entire menu is (sloppily) written on a giant blackborad. A little pricey, but worth it.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7895
    RE: Danbury, Ct.-Plymouth, Ma.-Newport,RI Trip 2003/10/15 11:01:03 (permalink)
    For good cheap seafood in Newport, try Salas Restaurant.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Danbury, Ct.-Plymouth, Ma.-Newport,RI Trip 2003/10/15 11:15:31 (permalink)
    My favorite eatery in Newport is, without question, The Mooring (http://www.mooringrestaurant.com/). Superb seafood right on the water. Enjoy !
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1