2003/07/16 12:03:44 (permalink)

Dangerous Roadfood

Here's an article on the top 10 foods that are dangerous to eat while driving:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/P51290.asp?special=030701insure

10 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 12:13:49 (permalink)
    Tacos are the breakfast of champions!

One of my sons buddies was actually given a ticket a few weeks ago for eating while driving. I am not sure what the exact "charge" was, but he was ticketed to the tune of 50.00!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 12:23:33 (permalink)
    My mother who lives next door to me has two brick column's at the entrance to her driveway, both of which has lights on top and one has a mailbox and paper container built in. A couple of years ago, a neighbor came around the curve driving a brand new red Chevy Blazer,chewing on a cheeseburger, became so focused on eating that he was distracted and took out both of these columns which must weight at least a ton each.

I was working with mom in the garden which was about 150 feet away when this occured. Bricks, concrete, mortar and pieces of mailbox were hurtled up to 100 feet away doing considerable damage to the Blazer, mom's Zoysia lawn and obviously destroying the columns. State Farm was correct about the dangerous road food.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 14:31:30 (permalink)
    On a lighter note - unless you're a hungry Eagles fan - see the cover story in today's Philadelphia Daily News - http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/. The team spokesman comes across as an arrogant jerk, at least in my opinion. But the headline on the cover is priceless: "Hoagies of Mass Destruction"!

JL
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3962
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 14:42:38 (permalink)
    My most fun is when I combine two of the items on the list-----and eat a chiliburger when I'm driving. Ah, that does make life interesting!
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 14:53:08 (permalink)
    When in college I once worked 6am to noon and had to be at a softball game at 12:30 (twenty miles away). My quick lunch---Kentucky Fried Chicken...a three piece meal spread out all over the passenger's seat. It was messy, but I finished...and didn't weave too much along Interstate 81.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15234
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 15:04:58 (permalink)
    I need a 6 hole power adapter for my cig.lighter in the car. It has to be able to take care of the chargers for both the digital camera and the cell-phone...my electric shaver..the radar detector...my wife's coffee cup (heated)...and a radio scanner tuned to railroad freqs for the train-chasing activities I enjoy.
    Just keeping all this equipment connected correctly requires a lot of focus as we travel.
    With 2 cup holders on the dash and two in the console I can have over a gallon of beverages read to sip or slurp at any given time.
    Then toss in a box (a rack) of pork ribs...dry rub for safety!!! A bag of chips and half dozen GooGoo Clusters and you have the makings of a real roadfood trip feast.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 15:10:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I need a 6 hole power adapter for my cig.lighter in the car. It Then toss in a box (a rack) of pork ribs...dry rub for safety!!! A bag of chips and half dozen GooGoo Clusters and you have the makings of a real roadfood trip feast.

Or a real roadfood disaster. At least the Mayor brought safety into consideration with his dry rub.

With all the equipment the Mayor has to pack, I'll bet the time to pack takes longer than the trip, with the exception of his last major roadtrip via Arizona I think

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15234
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 15:29:57 (permalink)
    Paul,
    It could be worse...for years we did the roadtrips on a motorcycle. But with all the gadgets I needed something that doesn't tip over when I park it .
    Now if I can find a place to put it, I want a GPS navigations system....linked to the roadfood locator .
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 15:38:39 (permalink)
    This may sound off topic, but it is not. I use Delorme Mapping. For around $150, you can get the CD and a GPS unit that lays on your dash and hooks into your laptop. It will verbally talk to you.

Delorme has a feature built in that locates close to 1,000,000 restaurants, motels etc.

The mapping is many many times superior to the handhelds, 1,000 times easier to use and in addition, it appears like a regular map and highlights the stops you wish to make. It is interesting to see the map move as you motivate up and down the pike.

In addition, it makes a safer driver out of you cause you tend to know where you are going easier.

Check it out at Best Buy, CompUSA or similar type outlets.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    RE: Dangerous Roadfood 2003/07/16 20:59:28 (permalink)
    The other night my son was driving home from tending to chores and was eating a tamale that one of his co-workers mother had made for their dinner, his friend and co-worker Carlos, unbeknownest to my son had put several habenero peppers in it. Apparently the first bite wasn't to bad. He grew up with spicy food from his friends, and co-workers parents larders, as well as in our home. However, the 2nd bite came just as the 1st bite was kicking in. Needless to say it was HOT. He knew where the closest water trough was and drove to it, I think his intention was to drink it dry, however he didn't see, or couldn't see the cow and calf in front of him. Well, he hit them, and down they went. The ranch truck he was driving was a 1960 Twin I Beam Ford, which cannot be hurt. He did have the presence of mind to check the injured stock, and dispatched then as was necessary. Then he stuck his head in the trough and drank deep of cattle water. Carlos I guess was cracking up, as it was funny, well not losing the stock, as it turned out it was some of my sons' older brother's cattle, so he has to pay him. As well as the licking he took from older bro. As is natural we turned lemons into lemonade, we went out and butchered them, the stock, not the boys, and had a BQ that weekened for the family, the hands and their families. We usually do it at the end of summer, now will just do two this year. So I guess we made the most out of roadkill, and everyone did have a good time. Well except my youngest who is out a several hundred dollars, and did get a thuming from his brother, and Carlos who got one from his mom. For my money I would have rather taken the one from my sons brother, then Carlos' mom, I have had one from her and she is one tough lady. ENJOY
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1