Danish Baby Back Ribs

Author
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
2004/11/06 09:30:21 (permalink)

Danish Baby Back Ribs

I bought some yesterday because they were reduced and all I can say is what is so friggen great about them!It was more like here is a rack of bones,no meat all bones.Is that all to them?Never again.

13 Replies Related Threads

fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2004/11/06 09:50:11 (permalink)

I excerpted the following quote from an article I found at the following site: http://www.spcnetwork.com/mii/2001/010369.htm

>>Baby back ribs were developed by the Danish livestock industry about 20 years ago as producers sought a market for what was then considered scrap. They found eager buyers in the United States, and now U.S. farmers have developed a similar product. About half the baby back ribs sold in the United States are from Danish farms.

Baby back ribs typically are four inches in length, about two inches shorter than the standard pork rib, because the hogs are smaller when slaughtered.<<

I have found that the product that is now produced by Smithfield Packing Co., (USA) tends to have more meat on the bones. It's just a little harder to find, and way more expensive.

Frank
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2004/11/06 10:13:41 (permalink)
    To be honest--i much prefer to get neckbones over "Baby backs"--usually more flavor-smoked or fresh-fresh. They marinate well cuz there thin-slow cook smoke em or poach em LONG--till the meat falls away from the bone and use the liguid and meat for Dirty rice! Iv'e marinated them in an asian style sauce and then steamed them in my wok in a basket lined with grape leaves(cuz i had them and keep the basket clean) with water seasoned with the marinade,some mactshiced fresh ginger,dried mushrooms and a bunck of green onions!!!!That was a nice experiment! My comment on bacy backs----let them grow big enough to some meat on their bones!! I'll stick with regular ribs and neckbones thank you.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2004/11/06 19:48:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

To be honest--i much prefer to get neckbones over "Baby backs"--usually more flavor-smoked or fresh-fresh. They marinate well cuz there thin-slow cook smoke em or poach em LONG--till the meat falls away from the bone and use the liguid and meat for Dirty rice! Iv'e marinated them in an asian style sauce and then steamed them in my wok in a basket lined with grape leaves(cuz i had them and keep the basket clean) with water seasoned with the marinade,some mactshiced fresh ginger,dried mushrooms and a bunck of green onions!!!!That was a nice experiment! My comment on bacy backs----let them grow big enough to some meat on their bones!! I'll stick with regular ribs and neckbones thank you.

I always use fresh neckbones when I make my Sunday Spaghetti gravy. Brown them in olive oil along with Italian sausage and then let them simmer in the tomato gravy all afternoon. They are outstanding
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2004/11/08 09:19:37 (permalink)
    Yes,I have always used neckbones in the Families Sunday sauce!Let it simmer for at least four or more hours.And when I pull them out and let them cool whatever I DONT EAT GOES BACK IN THE SAUCE.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2004/11/08 12:52:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

Yes,I have always used neckbones in the Families Sunday sauce!Let it simmer for at least four or more hours.And when I pull them out and let them cool whatever I DONT EAT GOES BACK IN THE SAUCE.

emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2004/11/08 14:54:02 (permalink)
    I really don't care for baby back ribs. I like the country style ribs best-There is alot more meat on the bones. I stew mine for awhile and then put into the oven with my own barbecue sauce.

Also, I like to cook neckbones and backbones togethers and stew until the meat falls off the bones and then add rice to the broth and different seasonings.

My husbands Aunt cooks backbones until the meat falls off the bones and adds turnips to the broth and lets them get tender.
    verysleepy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2004/11/11 17:16:35 (permalink)
    In regard to the Danish ribs- actually ashamed to say- but my all time favorite ribs are in Houston's (various cities.) Yes, I have been to North Carolina, Texas and Memphis, but still like the perfect ribs at Houston's. They are expensive, but to me, worth it. Talk about great sides too! Houston's makes a mean black beans... which is black beans, etc. in a fabulous sauce. They wouldn't reveal the ingredients, but I have since found out that they add chocolate to the recipe.

Funny thing, when I landed in Memphis, I asked a few rather large natives- where should I go for the best ribs? Shockingly, they said- not Interstate, not Rendezvous, nor Corky's, but HOUSTON's.

But then again, if I only could eat one food in life- let it be ribs!
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2004/11/22 10:22:08 (permalink)
    Danish ribs are not baby backs. They are a very cheap rib that usually contains little meat and are rarely fresh. Along with minimal meat to pull they often have a funky flavor associated with them. I usually use them for soups or sauces.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1512
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2011/05/22 10:20:01 (permalink)
    Bringing this subject back to life for some new opinions. Our local supermarket(Publix) sells these frozen in 10 lb boxes for about 18-20 bucks. Seemed like a good way to feed a crowd but most of the posters above don't seem to have a very high opinion. Not sure if it actually say baby back ribs on the box. Thought it said Danish spareribs.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5110
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2011/05/22 11:14:33 (permalink)
    The best won-ton soup broth from the best and most authentic Chinese restaurants is made with pork neck bones! Not, chicken broth as most do.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2011/05/22 21:11:29 (permalink)
    Like CES, We used to buy the 10 lb boxes of "Danish Ribs" frozen..and usually pretty cheap in comparison to St Louis or Baby Back versions. They didn't take to grilling at all, and even in the smoker for a low and slow prep, they were not very good. However when treated like Rib-Tips. which is what they looked like, the did very well when cooked in sauce for a long time. They were 2-3" Triangles of the end of the regular rib 'racks'. Much more bone and gristle than meat, you need 10 lbs to feed a family of 4 !!
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 203
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2011/05/22 23:23:38 (permalink)
    This photo shows where most Danish rib tips come from. That little piece at the top,featherbones or chine bones.

post edited by chickenplucker - 2011/05/22 23:50:19
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Danish Baby Back Ribs 2011/05/23 15:56:36 (permalink)
    "Baby back ribs" is a marketing term.  The North American Meat Processors Association wholesale meat buyers guide has no listing for such a thing.  It does, of course list and illustrate back ribs, which is the section of the rib bones between the spare ribs and the spine of the hog.  Those are the short, thick and sturdy retail ribs with a bit more of a curve to them, and they are wide where they connect to the spine.

Anyway, there a couple of things marketed as baby back ribs.  The really tiny ones with the straight bones are not ribs at all, as chickenplucker illustrated above.

post edited by MiamiDon - 2011/05/23 15:57:43
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1