Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember?

Author
AngelaNJ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2006/11/05 18:02:49 (permalink)

Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember?

Hi All...This is my first post, though I have been reading the forum for the past two weeks and really enjoying. I have to say, everyone is really nice to one another and the sarcasm that goes on in other forums I have seen seems to be absent here.

On to my question...When I was a young girl growing up in Bayside, NY (Queens), my mom used to take me to shop at the Alexander's Department store in Rego Park, NY (circa late 70's / early 80's). They had the most wonderful little coffee shop within the store and we'd always stop at the lunch counter for a "new fad item--frozen yogurt" It was by Dannon and came out of a soft serve machine. The only flavor was called plain and you could get it in a glass goblet as is or topped with fresh fruit and coconut (melon, strawberries, white flake coconut).

Anyway, it was the early version of frozen yogurt as we know it today and it was so yummy because it actually had the tang of real yogurt (which I know not everyone likes). In the mid 80's, I'd say they tried too hard to make fro-yo taste like ice cream, that this variety disappeared.

Did anyone else used to enjoy this treat and wish it were still available? There are times I crave it and wish frozen yogurt still tasted like yogurt.

15 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2006/11/05 19:08:20 (permalink)
    Hi and welcome!!!
    Somehow I don't remember Dannon's F.Y. but I do remember taking Dannon's cups and putting them in the freezer myself. Actually they didn't taste so good that way...
    I also remember when yogurt (frozen or other wise) was a "yucky" food, only for "health nuts" (in like 1970's). Now we have the acquired taste, but before then, ick!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2006/11/05 19:58:51 (permalink)
    I recall frozen yogurt pops, but not sure if they were Dannon, in the 60's or 70's. They had the "tang" you mention and only seemed to come in vanilla. I don't recall it in soft serve form.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2006/11/05 21:12:50 (permalink)
    Welcome!!I certainly remember the plethora of frozen yogurt stands in every mall and street corner in the 80s, but never Dannon.I quite liked the soft serve and agree that it had that tang that the frozen yogurts I have tried today dont have...
    cathyftr
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2006/11/08 02:59:41 (permalink)
    Didn't Dannon have some kind of frozen treat at one time called "Danny"?

I seem to remember seeing them at some of the supermarkets in my area back in the 70s.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/02/13 13:33:37 (permalink)
    I remember that frozen yogurt- Carvel also had a scooped frozen yogurt called Lo-Yo which also had a tang- it was good!
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/02/13 14:06:06 (permalink)
    Dannon did indeed have frozen yogurt on the market. I used to enjoy the "Danny" frozen raspberry yogurt bars covered with chocolate. They were quite popular and available in most deli's in the Long Island area, where I grew up.
    John In Seattle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/02/14 19:58:42 (permalink)
    I recall the early days of frozen yogurt, and I do miss the kind that was tangy. I recall a brand called (I think) "lifesyle frozen yogurt".

I wonder if you could try putting fresh yogurt in an ice cream maker, and see how it turns out...

If anyone has tried this, let us know.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/02/15 21:58:13 (permalink)
    I do remember Alexander's Department Store; Queens Blvd. I think....
    RomaSole
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/04/03 13:29:01 (permalink)
    Hello,

I came across this board from a google search for Dannon yogurt bars-they were covered in thin chocolate and were either vanilla or raspberry yogurt (like someone mentioned below). I remember getting them while growing up in suburban NJ. I don't think they make them anymore...?

As for the "tang" of frozen yogurt that is hard to find now (since the advent of TCBY, etc.) I have the following suggestions:

Bloomingdale's PLAIN yogurt (soft serve from a machine) still tastes the same from the 70s when I used to eat it with my mom during lunch at the mall.

Any plain yogurt from a real gelato vendor/store.

Finally, I have not tried it, but I heard that Pinkberry, a chain of fro-yo from L.A., which is now in NYC tastes like the original plain tangy fro yogurt...
    Sera B
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/05/20 16:27:01 (permalink)
    I remember frozen yogurt that came in a tube and it came in chocolate, those were good and had that 'tang'
    bucknut53
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/05/25 22:56:46 (permalink)
    I sold Dannon Frozen Yogurt in the late 1970's in Akron, Ohio. It was definitely the BEST frozen yogurt I have ever, ever eaten. It tasted like yogurt, not custard. Not too sweet, but with a bit of "something" in it that really hit the spot.

After that, I sold Columbo yogurt, which was very good, but it did not have that wonderful "tang" of the Dannon. How I wish they'd bring that back!
    AngelaNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/06/17 22:35:14 (permalink)
    Hi Bucknut,

How I wish they'd bring it back, too! Thanks for proving I am not the only one who liked the way it used to taste.

As another poster pointed out, this new Pinkberry place supposedly has a similar tang. Next time I am NYC for business (usually once every 2 months), I will have to check it out and report back. I have been hearing controversy about whether or not it can really be considered yogurt. But I am still eager to try.

Will let you know!

Angela
    iloomis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/06/21 13:22:54 (permalink)
    I was recently at the O'Hare airport and they had Dannon frozen yogurt. It was very good and I would like to know where else it is sold, but I don't remember that it had a specific 'tang' to the flavor.
    amos01
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/07/17 18:51:56 (permalink)
    The frozen yogurt at Bloomingdale's is just like the old Dannon. People are absolutely addicted to the stuff.
    AngelaNJ
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dannon Frozen Yogurt - Anyone Remember? 2007/07/20 21:46:22 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you who told me about the yogurt at Bloomingdales! While we have one here at the Bridgewater NJ mall, they do not have a cafe. But I was on Long Island yesterday to attend a funeral and sure enough, Bloomies at Roosevelt Field Mall had it.

For my lunch, I ordered a plain with fresh summer strawberries and savored every drop.

I thought I died and went to yogurt heaven. It was just the way I remembered it when I used to have with my Mom at that Alexander's Department Stoe I wrote about in my very first Roadfood post last November. I didn't think I'd ever taste it again, but it was fabulous. I am even more of a believer now that some of our most vivid memories are tied to taste and smell.

Thanks for making me one happy girl!

Angela
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1