Danny's, Stratford CT

Author
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
2003/10/03 09:27:53 (permalink)

Danny's, Stratford CT

Would anyone know if it's at all possible to purchase the INCREDIBLE hot chili sauce (Kuhn's) that Danny's uses? I look for it EVERYWHERE, and Danny's sure isn't selling it. Any suggestions?
I always thought that a chili dog was supposed to have the "traditional" meaty-beany chili on it, but now I am absolutly addicted to the thin peppery sauce that Danny's covers their dogs with. I cry, I sweat, my nose runs. It's heaven.
Anyone know of any other chili sauces that might compare? Not just a hot sauce...I've got a fridge full of 'em. But something that would do justice to a hot dog.

16 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2003/10/03 10:56:55 (permalink)
    Never been to Danny's--haven't had the sauce and don't know where to get it----but just reading YOUR reaction makes me want to try it! I also,would like to get my hands on a jar of this sauce just to find out what it does for ME!!
    Ace Holleran
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2003/10/28 13:22:04 (permalink)
    Well, I've had Kuhn's chili, and I know where to get it ... but it won't help you guys. And I'm sorry. The following is just history and trivia.

Keith Kuhn makes the sauce (actually a better term than "chili") in small batches. To my knowledge, Danny's is the only restaurant he vends to.

Kuhn's used to have its own drive-in style burger place attached to a restaurant/bar for years. This was on Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield.

I've met Keith (we have a mutual friend) and every so often, he'll give a jar to this friend, who'll whip up some dishes with it. "It's not really chili," says Keith. "It's a condiment." Forget about getting close to the recipe. I think it's the finest dog-topping I've ever had ... and I just had Gary's homemade relish at Super Duper Weenie yesterday. Ironic that SDW is also on Black Rock Turnpike.

In my opinion, some sort of home-grown peppers are used, which makes the stuff even harder to duplicate.

Keith just doesn't want to mass-produce or sell the stuff. I have no idea what his arrangement is with Danny's, but you're going have to go there yourself.

Danny's is at 940 Ferry Blvd. 06614, so you can Mapquest it. Of course, if you know anything about CT food, you must check out Super Duper Weenie--reportedly, the place is featured in Bon Appetit 11/03 edition.http://www.superduperweenie.com.

Ace Holleran
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2003/11/13 23:59:03 (permalink)
    Thinking about ol' Kuhn's corner brings back fond memories of another legendary hot dog shrine, the original "Greeks" a.k.a. Tomlinsons. This was the hot dog mecca during the 1970's. There still is a Tomilson's, a new pre-fab building replaced the little standing-room-only shack, and the food, a sorry imitation of the original.
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2003/11/14 00:26:03 (permalink)
    Does this picture bring back memories?

http://www.east-enders.itgo.com/53.jpg
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2003/11/14 07:01:13 (permalink)
    Sweet! Thank You!
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/05/08 00:21:11 (permalink)
    The original Tomlinson's owners sold the business in Bridgeport years ago, and opened a place on Cherry St in Milford called The Greek's.

It's directly across the street from Shop-Rite.
    Take Exit 39A off I-95.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/05/08 00:23:11 (permalink)
    booboo -

There's a place just north of the traffic light in Paradise Green in Stratford that claims to have the Kuhn's chili also.

It's called Heck of a Hot Dog.

I believe they sell the chili
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/03 22:35:47 (permalink)
    I guess you can scratch my last post regarding the Kuhn's chili at Heck of a Hot Dog.

It's been bought out by Super Duper Weenie, and will be opening in about three weeks.
    greasewheel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/04 08:33:39 (permalink)
    I just heard that Gary at SDW is opening a place in Newtown. I spoke to him a few weeks ago and I know he recently moved to the area but he didn't say anything about opening a new location. Anyone heard of this? And as Ace said, his homemade relish is out of this world!
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/18 13:47:30 (permalink)
    Tried SDW, but I ordered the New Yorker, which has got all sorts of stuff on it, so I'm afraid it would be hard for me to comment on the relish. It was a great dog, though!

I have to say....my addiction is still with that heavenly Kuhn's chili sauce at Danny's. I drive from West Haven to Stratford at least every 2 weeks so I can sweat and cry. " />
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18889
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/18 15:05:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by markolenski

Does this picture bring back memories?

http://www.east-enders.itgo.com/53.jpg

Omigod!!! That place used to be owned by one of my late wife's uncles. I can't remember his name, but his wife's name was Helen White and she was a nurse. When my wife and I were dating we went there many times.

Thanks for the memory.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/18 15:08:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by booboobirdie

Would anyone know if it's at all possible to purchase the INCREDIBLE hot chili sauce (Kuhn's) that Danny's uses? I look for it EVERYWHERE, and Danny's sure isn't selling it. Any suggestions?
    I always thought that a chili dog was supposed to have the "traditional" meaty-beany chili on it, but now I am absolutly addicted to the thin peppery sauce that Danny's covers their dogs with. I cry, I sweat, my nose runs. It's heaven.
    Anyone know of any other chili sauces that might compare? Not just a hot sauce...I've got a fridge full of 'em. But something that would do justice to a hot dog.

Are you talking about the Danny's in Stratford, right next to the Washington Bridge? If you are, I've never had a chili dog there, but years ago -- boy, many years ago -- I used to eat hamburgers there. I remember they always served them with a green pepper ring on the burger.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/18 16:34:15 (permalink)
    Yes, Michael -

on Ferry Blvd. - right by the bridge over the Housatonic River that separates Stratford and Milford.
    hungrycharlie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/18 17:16:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by greasewheel

I just heard that Gary at SDW is opening a place in Newtown. I spoke to him a few weeks ago and I know he recently moved to the area but he didn't say anything about opening a new location. Anyone heard of this? And as Ace said, his homemade relish is out of this world!

There is a storefront on Main Street in Stratford that has a sign reading, "Coming soon - Super Duper Weenie of Fairfield". It is in the Paradise Green area and was formerly a Gold's Deli and then, briefly, a take-out called "Hell of A Dog". We are all waiting eagerly.
    hungrycharlie
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/18 19:42:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by long dog

Yes, Michael -

on Ferry Blvd. - right by the bridge over the Housatonic River that separates Stratford and Milford.

When I was a kid spending my summers in Laurel and Wildemere beaches we used to go out to the middle of the bridge and dive and jump into the river. When the Milford cops came we'd run like heck to the Stratford side and grab something to eat or drink at Danny's. If the Stratford cops showed up we'd run back over to Devon, and maybe get something at the diner.

Several years ago, while heading up to Old Lyme from Ohio with my wife and grandson to visit my daughter I told the boy about the bridge jumping. He's 16 now, and he still wants to go up there and try it himself. I hope he does.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Danny's, Stratford CT 2004/06/18 22:58:58 (permalink)
    charlie -

When I spoke to Gary's brother in Fairfield a couple of weeks ago, he told me they were shooting to open on the 22nd - which would be this coming Tuesday.

I drove by last night, and the windows were still covered.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1