Dark, Milk or White?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2003/10/24 21:37:21 (permalink)
Renfrew-- try the dark choc (sugar free but really good) made by Ross Chocolates of Canada. This stuff is really good. It is made with Belgian choc and has a blood sugar impact of 1 gram per 1 dark choc bar. Melts well and has a really good mouth feel. having one now!
SharonTriv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2003/10/25 10:55:04 (permalink)
Phil J--Wilbur buds are hard to find, even in PD country. If I must have them, I trek on down from Reading, PA to Lititz. Sometimes I'm able to find them in the "bulk" food stores we have around here, but even that is rare. I guess buying on-line or from their catalog is the way to sample if you're far from Southeast PA. The buds come in milk and dark chocolate and you can get mixed assortments as well. If you are into chocolate these are just about guaranteed to please.
jackier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2003/10/25 15:54:54 (permalink)
White doesn't count, as it's just not chocolate. I am an occasional indulger, and ONLY indulge in dark with at least a 72% cocoa content. Trader Joe's is carrying a couple of tasty dark bars from Venezuela and Ecuador, as well as a small, dark Swiss. I am mostly a plain chocolate person, though occasionally I do crave marzipan covered with dark chocolate, or an enrobed prune from Elk in NYC.
SharonTriv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2003/10/26 10:03:10 (permalink)
jackier--agree that white usually doesn't count, unless we're talking about white chocolate covered pretzels!
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2003/10/30 16:14:27 (permalink)
Dark bittersweet chocolate is THE BEST! Even if I do feel a bit guilty sometimes. YAHOO" />
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/04/06 19:55:35 (permalink)
Someone mentioned to me once that the taste difference between Hershey and British/European milk chocolate is that the Hershey chocolate was originally made with a "sour" milk, and therefore American tastes tend more toward Hershey style chocolate, while Cadbury and others have a very different taste.
Redskin204
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/15 23:40:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

I'm a self-confessed (and proud) chocoholic. But as much as I like all chocolate, dark chocolate is my favorite -- the darker and more bitter, the better.

Specific brands aside, what do you favor: dark, milk or white chocolate?

Actually, I have two questions. My second question is, are you a chocoholic, a fan, or simply an occasional indulger? While there's obviously no right or wrong here, my gut tells me that most people will prefer milk, but that the chocoholics wil prefer dark.

I'm Redskin204, and I'm a choc-o-holic. (I'm also a Coke-a-holic but that's another subject for another time and place.)

I prefer white chocolate but it's hard to find any that's fit to eat here, so I usually go with milk chocolate instead. I can't touch dark chocolate because it gives me these monster, blinding headaches.

A few years back a new bakery opened here in town. Everytime I asked someone if they had tried it I was told how great it was and that they had 'everything' there. So, one day I made my way over, walked in, looked around, and went up to the counter. When I asked the girl working there (who as it turned out was one of the owners) if they had any white chocolate brownies, she had no idea what I was talking about. She had never even heard of such a creature. So, I took a half dozen of the 'regular' brownies (as she called them) and left.

I got in the car, started home, opened the bag, took one out, and bit into what I can only describe as a hunk of asphalt with a few peanut chips sprinkled on top. So, at the first trash can I came to, in they went, right along with my opinion of the place where I got 'em. I never went back and I never will.

Yes, I'm a choc-o-holic, but even I have my pride.

Redskin204
Pitts
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/16 04:48:28 (permalink)
Dove Dark Chocolate is delicious and is the best for the heart because of the unique way they process the cocoa beans.
Can be purchased at Wa-Mart, Rite Aide, etc.
spaniel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/16 11:40:38 (permalink)
Nice that this thread has been revived.

I seem to be in the minority here as a white chocolate-aholic. Lindt white chocolate truffles are my favorite, but I am not a snob. Such is my addiction that I will happily eat "white baking chips" out of the bag, and these, apparently, do not even qualify to call themselves white chocolate.

Dark chocolate is incompatible with chocoholism, as it is too potent for me to consume in mass quantities!
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1028
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/16 12:25:59 (permalink)
Is white chocolate really chocolate at all?
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/16 12:35:20 (permalink)
I love it all, have recently started eating dark or semisweet, and would prefer to find a treat that contains all types of chocolate...I love fruits with chocolate, especially lime anything. Also hazlenuts and almonds.
Lunza
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/16 14:49:41 (permalink)
Dark.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/16 17:06:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spaniel

Nice that this thread has been revived.

I seem to be in the minority here as a white chocolate-aholic. Lindt white chocolate truffles are my favorite, but I am not a snob. Such is my addiction that I will happily eat "white baking chips" out of the bag, and these, apparently, do not even qualify to call themselves white chocolate.

Dark chocolate is incompatible with chocoholism, as it is too potent for me to consume in mass quantities!

Gotta disagree. I could eat vast amounts of dark chocolate in one sitting...and have, unfortunately.

I have to keep the stuff out of the house, or else I'm too likely to consume it instantly. It might be the only area where I have less than full confidence in my own willpower.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/16 18:31:47 (permalink)
Dark. Milk chocolate just never satisfies. I find dark satisfying even when only consuming a small amount. I like to let it melt on my tongue to get all the flavor impact. My favorite is Cote D'Or. Trader Joe's has a dark 17 oz bar for around $3.00 that I think is a real bargain. I have to be careful and not have too much around the house, or worse, my office. I get out of control.

BTW, how can the white stuff be called chocolate? There is no cocoa in it. It is just candy to me.
Redskin204
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/17 02:55:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by plb

Is white chocolate really chocolate at all?

For all I know it may not technically be chocolate (because of the processing or whatever), but that's what I've always heard it called and what I call it. My knowledge on the subject is pretty much limited to 'I like it'. Maybe someone with some practical information will post their thoughts. Sorry I can't offer more than that.

Redskin204
spaniel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/10/17 15:10:16 (permalink)
There is a good overview of the different types of chocolate on the Epicurious.com website. According to this article, white chocolate by definiton contains cocoa butter but no chocolate liquor, and therefore it is not considered true chocolate. Cocoa butter and chocolate liquor are both derived from cacao beans; the chocolate liquor is what remains after the some of the cocoa butter is extracted from the cacao beans in the process of making chocolate or cocoa.

So in answer to the questions above, no, white chocolate is not really chocolate by the usual definition. However, to call it chocolate makes sense to me because it is so similar to the other types of chocolate in form and texture, if not in taste, even if technically it is white cocoa butter confection or whatever. I don't think it should be considered an inferior product. I mean, in what way is regular chocolate not a confection?

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/search?query=chocolate&submit.x=16&submit.y=13
hefried
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/11/09 01:18:17 (permalink)
i'm into dark, occaisonal indulger, however i have no problem with people who can't get enouggh chocolato or the folks who hate it.
im sortof neutral on the subject.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/12/07 23:30:10 (permalink)

I like Dark and Milk, skip the white for me. I much prefer a "Mixed" rather than taking it "Straight" Meaning a candy filling covered with either Milk or Dark is my choice. Brands aren't important for the basic decision...but everything fits neatly if you understand that I am referring to SEE's Chocolates. Dark Buttercream, Mocha truffles, Toffee chips... The combinations are almost endless and each has it's cover that makes the most favorful choice.
Leania_1stone
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/12/08 00:33:08 (permalink)
I'm a dark chocolate girl I abosultely adore it and can always count on my dad to save me those out of the bag of Hershey miniatures :) I do milk chocolate sometimes and white chocolate just about never just don't care for it at all it just doesn't have that depth of flavor I am looking for. I like the taste to linger on my tongue while I savor it.
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2004/12/08 01:16:10 (permalink)
Chocolate, wonderful chocolate. I am a chocolate-aholic. Yum, Yum. Godivas are my favorite, but I love all chocolate. Including those made in California, Sees, Saylors, Giardelli, etc. Of Course Hershey has a big plant in the valley, where they manufacture Kisses.
Rex in E, cold, wet, San Diego.
kisscat69
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/08/01 18:30:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

I'm a self-confessed (and proud) chocoholic. But as much as I like all chocolate, dark chocolate is my favorite -- the darker and more bitter, the better.

Specific brands aside, what do you favor: dark, milk or white chocolate?

Actually, I have two questions. My second question is, are you a chocoholic, a fan, or simply an occasional indulger? While there's obviously no right or wrong here, my gut tells me that most people will prefer milk, but that the chocoholics wil prefer dark.

i'm a chocoholic who eats 1-2lb's of dark M&M's a week but my favorite thing is Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans( a coffee bean covered in dark chocolate )
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/08/01 22:43:46 (permalink)
I'm really not a big fan of white chocolate. Dark is my favorite, followed by milk chocolate.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 426
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/08/01 23:11:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kisscat69

i'm a chocoholic who eats 1-2lb's of dark M&M's a week but my favorite thing is Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans( a coffee bean covered in dark chocolate )
I had those sometime in the last year and they were GOOD! I had forgotten about them until I read the above, now I have to try and remember where they were from...
sayscalled
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/08/01 23:34:47 (permalink)
You're reading a post of a proud Dark Chocoholic here. Can't get enough. I think I inherited the trait from my folks.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/08/02 00:08:23 (permalink)
If I said I was a chocoholic, wouldn't that be like admitting I had some kind of problem?

Bless my little Mama for shareing her sweet tooth with me. As well as anyone who may pass by her candy dishes.
We have more candy dishes than pots and pans I believe...and we have loads of those!

Chocolate covered raisens, cherries, almonds, peanuts, cashews or just plain Kisses.
Dove, Cadbury, Hersheys or our local grocers nut barks, we don't discriminate by color or nationality here!

As we like to say: A little piece (or two if you've been extra good) of chocolate a day, keeps the...hmmm, well it doesn't actually keep anything away but that's why we always have apples around too !
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/08/02 00:39:33 (permalink)
I seem to gain a lb to each oz of chocolate, so I try to stay away from it. BUT!!!!
During the Holidays, I want Turkeyjoints, a candycoated dark chocolate with brazil nuts from Candyland in Rome N.Y.
turkeyjoints
individual turkeyjoints

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6355
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/08/02 21:24:43 (permalink)
I love dark chocolate, about 60-70 % cocoa mass, yummmmmmmmmmmmm

ok ok ok I love milk chocolate too.
angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/11/01 23:23:49 (permalink)
I am a self-diagnosed chocoholic... and by far my favorite is dark chocolate. Plus it has good-for-you antioxidants! I'll eat dark chocolate by itself or use it in baking or desserts. I don't like milk chocolate unless part of a candy bar - Reese's or such - but if there's a dark chocolate option, like the dark Snicker's, I almost always go for it instead. White chocolate is good for accents and in white choc macadamia nut cookies (which I make an amazing batch of, btw!) but not on its own. And I don't like fruit in my chocolate either. I love fruit, and I love chocolate... just not together.

P.S. I just saw this a few replies up and have to "third" it... Dark chocolate covered espresso beans are WONDERFUL!!
PeteRFNY
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Dark, Milk or White? 2007/11/02 11:58:44 (permalink)
TURKEY JOINTS! They sound great but what an unappealing name!

What's next? Candy called Chicken's Tendons?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1