Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
2011/11/19 13:23:01 (permalink)

Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss

When John Mueller left his grandfather's barbecue joint in Taylor Texas in 2001, John's dad, Bobby, hired Lance Kirkpatrick as a helping hand. Kirkpatrick had been a manager at Hanover's Draught Haus prior to his entry in the Taylor barbecue world.
Kirkpatrick had some big shoes to fill as John Mueller was Bobby's right hand man and had been in the family business since way back in the 1970's. Lance started at the bottom, trundling wood, cleaning the restaurant and what have you til he finally was trusted enough to actually cook.
When Bobby Mueller passed [ RIP ] in 2008, Kirkpatrick's time at the famous barbecue house turned out to be well spent as he stepped into the role of pit boss, a position he would hold til he decided to open a "fancy" restaurant around the corner from Louie Mueller's called Mimosa's in the spring of 2010.
Mimosa's was something new for Taylor, Texas.While the little town has been a culinary mecca for generations, it had not seen white tablecloths, beef wellington and fresh seafood prior to Kirkpatrick's operation.
Unfortunately, Taylor did not embrace the business and after a year of sales the cafe inside the old Odd Fellows lodge shuttered.
Which brings us to Stiles Switch, Lance Kirkpatrick's new project. We keep our ears to the ground to keep our readers up to date on the latest scene news so a couple weeks ago we motored up to north Austin to take a look at the Violet Crown shopping plaza and see if perhaps a big barbecue pit was being installed as per rumors floating around town.
We found the business along with a TABC permit plastered in the window but the pit, rumored to be coming from Klose, a Houston pit manufacturer that perhaps not coincidentally also fabricated the giant mobile pit that Wayne Mueller uses for big events, was not on site.
We decided to wait for a bit and report more when the business was closer to being operational. Til today, November 7th 2011 when all Hell broke loose.
Apparently word on the street had it that the Taylor, Texas Mueller's were involved in the Violet Crown project so Eater Austin, a local food site, contacted Wayne Mueller who had this to say
[re:] Violet Crown Shopping Center, the answer is no. We are not moving there. A guy who use to work for me is cooking for a place looking to open in Austin... he's been using our name to gain access and notoriety so a Cease and Desist order has been sent to gag his efforts. He calls himself a pitmaster but I'd be hard pressed to call him a neophyte.
Maybe they caught Wayne Mueller after a particularly tumultuous lunch shift. Who knows? We've been eating at Louie Mueller's since 1991 and never had a bad plate of barbecue. This includes the time that Lance Kirkpatrick was the pit boss of the operation.
We wonder what Stiles Switch, the potential barbecue house on north Lamar has to do with the Stiles Switch metal and mining fabrication outfit down in New Braunfels.
We love a good old fashioned dust-up and this ones shaping up to be a doozy.

8 Replies Related Threads

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    Re:Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss 2011/11/19 13:32:06 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss 2011/12/17 19:44:33 (permalink)
    pic of new barbecue from x-louie mueller pit boss Lance Kirkpatrick http://www.scrumptiousche...rick-Under-Storm-Cloud
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    Re:Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss 2011/12/17 23:16:34 (permalink)
    Lance Kirkpatrick is a great pit boss. He always remembered me on my visits to Louie Mueller's when he worked there and, the BBQ was always the best anywhere during his tenure. I wish him all the best and sincerely hope things work out for him. 
    mcguirejohnr
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss 2012/01/24 21:13:49 (permalink)
    Anyone tried Stiles Switch out yet?  I'm headed into Austin soon and wondering if I need to add it as a stop along with Fraklins and J Muellers.
    mcguirejohnr
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss 2012/01/25 22:04:06 (permalink)
    Posted this in response to a question the the BBQ forum...

I just went to Stiles tonight.  I started at Louie Muellers but got there about 15 minutes too late so ended up at Taylor Cafe for some decent Q although it is the first Texas BBQ place taht puts sauce all over the meat.  After Taylor Cafe I went to Stiles to try it out.

Stiles was very good.  The beef rib was OUTSTANDING, rendered out perfectly with a thick crust.  Brisket (a mix of moist and lean) was very good with a thick crusty bark and super tender and juicy...not as good as Franklins but top notch.  Pork ribs were very good with lots of pepper in the crust but they were slightly cool so I don't think I got the best they had to offer.  I got an "original" sausage and it was very good classic Central Texas but I do prefer my sausages on the dry side and this one was fresh of the smoker and a bit wet still.  I would say that Stiles is very similar to Lockhart Smokehouse up in Dallas.  All in all it was worth a stop and is very similar to Louie Muellers and J. Muellers.  Near the top of the Central Texas BBQ lists for me.

scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss 2012/01/26 14:47:11 (permalink)
    thanks for the post man, Stiles is very good. I've got a pound of black and fatty brisket waiting on me RIGHT NOW at John Mueller [Louie Mueller's grandson] Barbecue down here in south Austin.
    RL Reeves Jr
    mcguirejohnr
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss 2012/01/28 12:03:53 (permalink)
    I didn't think I had time to make it by J. Mueller's when I was down there because after feeding at Franlin's I was on a mission to get a load of Kolaches from Weikels Bakery in La Grange and then hit City Meat Market in Giddings.  I scored the Kolaches but City Meat Market only had sausage left by the time I made it by there.

Stiles Switch ended up having on of the best beef ribs I have had in a long time.  It was black, crusty and salty.peppery all over with the fat completely rendered out...just the way I like them.
    mcguirejohnr
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dateline Austin Texas: New Barbecue coming from x-Louie Mueller pit boss 2012/01/28 12:05:11 (permalink)
    Sorry duplicate
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1