The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Davenports Pizza Palace

Atlanta_Tider

• Total Posts: 28
Davenports Pizza Palace Sun, 05/30/04 12:06 AM (permalink)
In Birmingham is the best pizza I have ever tasted. Very Large very thin crust, cut into small squares. If you try it get a big Jim special which is their version of a supreme. My late grandfather sold them the recipe for the pizza sauce in the late 50's. To this day they still hand toss the pizza and use his sauce!

BTW its off of highway 280 in Mountain Brook village.

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
    RE: Davenports Pizza Palace Mon, 06/21/04 8:29 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Atlanta_Tider

In Birmingham is the best pizza I have ever tasted. Very Large very thin crust, cut into small squares. If you try it get a big Jim special which is their version of a supreme. My late grandfather sold them the recipe for the pizza sauce in the late 50's. To this day they still hand toss the pizza and use his sauce!

BTW its off of highway 280 in Mountain Brook village.

Yes, I have to agree--Jimmy Davenport's Pizza Palace is a virtual institution in Mt. Brook Village. It's been in business at that same location for about forty years, outlasting even the venerable Browdy's (who are still in business in Mt. Brook Village, but in another location). I went there as a kid soon after they first opened and though I no longer live in Birmingham, I still drop in for a pizza just about every time I go back for family visits.

It has outlasted other Birmingham pizza institutions like Cafe Italiano downtown (and Eastlake), Ziggies near UAB (and a victim of UAB expansion) and Gino's on Highland Ave. Not to mention the several Pasquales in Bham--only a couple still survive.

Long may Jimmy rule!

ULVER

• Total Posts: 226
      RE: Davenports Pizza Palace Mon, 06/21/04 9:24 PM (permalink)
      Have you guys, tried COSMOS pizza, located in the cool 5 Points section of B-ham? Pretty good, when I was there a few years ago.

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
        RE: Davenports Pizza Palace Tue, 06/22/04 8:32 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by ULVER

Have you guys, tried COSMOS pizza, located in the cool 5 Points section of B-ham? Pretty good, when I was there a few years ago.

Can't say I have. Is it a local place or a chain?

DaVinci's Pizza was also a pretty good place back in the '70s out on Rocky Ridge Road and they maybe had another location closer it to town that I can't quite reacall. Are they still around?

And speaking of Five Points--is Ranelli's still in business there? Best meatball sandwich I ever had was from them. but you had to get there promptly at lunchtime--once they sold out of meatballs, that was it for the day.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com