Day and a half in Chicago...

Author
BigAl72
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
2011/11/29 00:19:34 (permalink)

Day and a half in Chicago...

Native New Yorker here. Never been to Chicago (except once in High School for a debate tournament but it was in the suburbs and we never got to go into the city). I'll be there for a day and half next week before getting on the Texas Eagle to San Antonio. I'm staying near O'Hare and will have a rental car. Looking to try a real Chicago hot dog, Italian Beef and maybe go to one of the famous deep dish places for dinner. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a must eat food other than what I've mentioned? I'll be by myself and don't really want any fancy sit-down type food.

Hopefully I'll be able to post a good trip report afterwards!

Thanks!

16 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 00:44:49 (permalink)
    I think a good place to start would be the Chicago portion of the Chicago-Milwaukee Roadfood Trip this year:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/ChicagoMilwaukee-Roadfood-Trip-October-2829-m662525.aspx
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 01:47:07 (permalink)
    Just up the road from O'Hare's mega-hotel district, located in Rosemont, you will find one of the area's best examples of the Chicago Style Dog AND one of the Our Town's best CheeseBurgers all under one roof!  Paradise Pup has been featured on multiple programs on the Food Network and is very highly thought of by local connoisseurs.  Be prepared to get there early before the lunch crowd or stand in line for 15 minutes to a half hour.  The Pup is a tiny establishment and is very popular.  The wait is totally worth it for either a Dog (char grilled or steamed) or Burger (char grilled medium rare).  They also serve Italian Beef sandwiches, but that is not what they are known for.

And just down the road from that same hotel mecca is Gene & Jude's, a great example of the Depression Era Chicago Style Dog (just like a regular CSD, minus the tomato, pickle spear, and celery salt) with fantastically greasy fresh cut fries wrapped right up in the same sheet of wax paper with the dog.  More long lines, but at east you'll spend most of your waiting time indoors.  Not so at Paradise Pup where you could be standing out in the cold for a good long while.  Did I mention it's totally worth it?

Des Plaines also has many excellent Taquerias and even has a Pupuseria (look it up).  Unfortunately, there is not a decent Pizza joint anywhere in the O'Hare area.  The best Deep Dish Pizza is found at a tiny little establishment in Morton Grove, called Burt's Place.  Before going there you would do well to do your research on the place so you will have the best experience possible.  Give 'em a Google and read as much as possible so you won't be disappointed. 

Full disclosure: Among the many things I do to earn a living, I work at Burt's, so I've got a personal bias.  However, if you do your research, I think you'll see that my bias is warranted.

Have a great trip!

Buddy

Paradise Pup
    1724 S. River Rd.
    Des Plaines  IL
    (847) 699-8590

Gene & Jude's
    2720 River Rd.
    River Grove  IL
    (708) 452-7634

Burt's Place
    8541 Ferris Ave.
    Morton Grove  IL
    (847) 965-1997
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10110
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 01:54:24 (permalink)
    There's been a TON of stuff posted here about Chicago. Use the search function or the "Search Local Eats" Section at the top-right section of the home page.
    There's 26 places listed under Chicago, IL. Type in Schaumburg, IL and 10 more places without Chicago Addresses pop up. Don't think you'll be able to hit all 36 of them in a day and a half.
    Want the ultimate Chicago Style dog? Go to the source:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/3744/vienna-beef-factory-store-and-cafe
    Use the tools the site provides. Don't just sit on your butt and expect us to spoon feed you. 
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/11/29 02:09:44
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 03:45:21 (permalink)
    Ouch!!! lol!
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 09:42:03 (permalink)
    BigAl72

Native New Yorker here. Never been to Chicago (except once in High School for a debate tournament but it was in the suburbs and we never got to go into the city). I'll be there for a day and half next week before getting on the Texas Eagle to San Antonio. I'm staying near O'Hare and will have a rental car. Looking to try a real Chicago hot dog, Italian Beef and maybe go to one of the famous deep dish places for dinner. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a must eat food other than what I've mentioned? I'll be by myself and don't really want any fancy sit-down type food.

Thanks!

We ran there to pick up a new camper we bought after our was wrecked in a tornado, we drove there, got the camper, ate at Portillos  had a Italian Beef sandwich Dipped and a Combo Italian Beef and Italian Sausage Dipped, and then drove to Lou Malnatis  and had The "Malnati Chicago Classic"

It was allot to eat in a short time but it was the two places we wanted to try if we ever got to Chicago
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 13:05:12 (permalink)
    KurtSara

BigAl72

Thanks!

We ran there to pick up a new camper we bought after our was wrecked in a tornado, we drove there, got the camper, ate at Portillos  had a Italian Beef sandwich Dipped and a Combo Italian Beef and Italian Sausage Dipped, and then drove to Lou Malnatis  and had The "Malnati Chicago Classic"

It was allot to eat in a short time but it was the two places we wanted to try if we ever got to Chicago

So you drove a camper around Chicago????  Wow.... you deserve some props for that..  It's hard enough to drive a car around there let alone a camper.  Nice job.  You should have checked out Graziano's in Niles....maybe next time....
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 13:53:24 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    ...Don't just sit on your butt and expect us to spoon feed you. 

Really--you're gonna cop an attitude about this?  You're not even from here, so this inquiry doesn't require a response from you at all.  Generally, I'm not overly enthusiastic about answering these one time pleas from rare posters, but here's a guy who actually gave us some information to work with.  He told us where he's staying, how long he'll be in town, the fact that he's got a rental car, specifically what foods he's interested in, and that he's alone, so he doesn't have to cater to anyone's whims but his own.  As far as I'm concerned, that warrants a response.

As for the "Search Local Eats" function, it's a fine starting point, but I see it more as inspiration to help you find your own local favorites.  Nothing wrong with the suggestions listed there, but if you talk to the actual locals, you might get a different perspective.

BigAl72, don't be put off by any negative comments from outside interlopers.  Us native Chicagoans are happy to have you in our city eating our food and spending your money.  Heck, if you're going to be in town on a day when I'm free, I might just join you and show you around a little bit.  Talk to me Al.

Buddy
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 16:11:01 (permalink)
    Buddy,
    Roadfood provides a lot of tools to help people find places to eat. People don't use them. The places you listed are on the "Search Local Eats" list so he would have found the same places you described. If BigAl72 found something there that sounded good then he could post questions about the places.
    The problem is that newcomers aren't given a roadmap on how to utilize the Roadfood web site. The problem is that our web site does not give conspicuous information to people wanting to find information. I have not found anything on here that tells me how to use the Search Function. If it's there, I haven't found it. I've been campaigning for years with the powers that be to put a definitive NEWCOMERS PRIMER in a conspicuous place so new and relatively new people can learn how to use the site and find the info they need and get the maximum benefit from the site.
    As far as not knowing Chicagoland, I worked for Sears for 16 years and spent a VERY CONSIDERABLE amount of time there. Unlike residents, I ate Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in restaurants in the entire Chicago area every day I was there.
    My all time favorite place in Chicago is Millers Pub! To me, it represents old time Chicago!  http://www.millerspub.com/
    I'd venture to say I've eaten in more places in Chicagoland than most Chicagoans. Foodbme knows Chicago!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/11/29 16:16:53
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/29 22:55:02 (permalink)
    All valid points.  But the core of your complaint seems to be the shortfall of the site in guiding newcomers around, and you chewed out the guy who was failed by the site.  And yes, Paradise Pup and Gene & Jude's are listed, but Burt's is not.

As I said, I tend to avoid answering posters who it appears haven't bothered to use any of the resources you mentioned, but BigAl at least gave us something to work with instead of the usual, "I'll be in Chicago next week, where should I eat?"  He stated his preferences, told us where he was staying, and that he had a car; all important questions to answer if you're looking for recommendations.

The other piece of the puzzle, which I can relate to, is when you're looking at the "Local Eats" list, that's all it is--a list.  And even with the linked reviews, you rarely get a sense of what the locals think of the place mentioned.  Just for example, I wouldn't send anybody to Mustard's Last Stand or Twin Anchors, and I would highly caution them about Kuma's Corner based on the very loud Heavy Metal, tattooed ambiance and long list of rules.  When you ask for personal recs, the reply gives you a real sense of the poster's enthusiasm or lack thereof.

For the most part, we don't disagree on this issue.  But if you're going to fault the site for inadequate guidance, don't beat up the guy who wasn't guided.

Buddy
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/30 00:36:39 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

All valid points.  But the core of your complaint seems to be the shortfall of the site in guiding newcomers around, and you chewed out the guy who was failed by the site.  And yes, Paradise Pup and Gene & Jude's are listed, but Burt's is not.

As I said, I tend to avoid answering posters who it appears haven't bothered to use any of the resources you mentioned, but BigAl at least gave us something to work with instead of the usual, "I'll be in Chicago next week, where should I eat?"  He stated his preferences, told us where he was staying, and that he had a car; all important questions to answer if you're looking for recommendations.

The other piece of the puzzle, which I can relate to, is when you're looking at the "Local Eats" list, that's all it is--a list.  And even with the linked reviews, you rarely get a sense of what the locals think of the place mentioned.  Just for example, I wouldn't send anybody to Mustard's Last Stand or Twin Anchors, and I would highly caution them about Kuma's Corner based on the very loud Heavy Metal, tattooed ambiance and long list of rules.  When you ask for personal recs, the reply gives you a real sense of the poster's enthusiasm or lack thereof.

For the most part, we don't disagree on this issue.  But if you're going to fault the site for inadequate guidance, don't beat up the guy who wasn't guided.
    Buddy

You're right. I probably shouldn't have zonked the guy. I think we're both in agreement that the site could do a much better job in educating newbees, (And Oldbees) on how to get the maximum benefit from the site. Even at that, there will always be people logging on and not using the tools available and expect us to regurgitate the same info over and over again.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/11/30 00:37:42
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/30 09:05:47 (permalink)
    paradise pup for lunch and berts for dinner, cant go wrong with buddy's picks..................seminolephil
    BigAl72
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/30 10:34:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses, so far! Hey, I'm a New Yorker, so I don't mind a little attitude! Yeah, I've seen the reviews for Chicago places. I also searched the forums bit for Chicago suggestions.  I figured I'd post my question anyway since I didn't see a "Chicago must eat" question posted in a while, and it's possible a new one would get some different responses from different people who might not have seen the old ones.
    Jim2903
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 236
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/30 11:01:32 (permalink)
    If you want real Chicago pizza, get tavern-cut thin crust. Deep dish is great, but thin is more real neighborhood Chicago ...
    planojim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/30 11:16:41 (permalink)
    From Ohare, travel south on River Rd.  Get a hot dog or two with fries at Gene and Judes.  http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/2284/gene-judes

get back in car, continue south. Turn left (east) onto North Ave.  Get an Italian beef or a combo at Johnnies.  Lemon Ice is great as well.  http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/3447/johnnies

Get back in car, continue east on North Ave.  Make a right on N Pulaski Rd. Corner of Pulaski and Grand.  Get another couple of hot dogs and fries at Jimmy's Red Hots.  You know, just so you have a comparison with Gene and Judes. http://www.jimmysredhots.com/  No ketchup.  They're very serious about that.

Back in car, continue SE on Grand.  Corner of Grand and Chicago Ave.  Get an Italian Beef at Joe Boston's.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/joe-bostons-italian-beef-chicago-4

get back in car, collapse from meat and french fry coma.

Total trip, about 18 miles.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/30 14:14:08 (permalink)
    I forgot about the close proximity of Johnnie's to Gene & Jude's.  Good call, planojim!  I'd still recommend Paradise Pup for a CheeseBurger.  Besides, it's only a short ride north from O'Hare.

Gotta say, you're an ambitious eater.  I'd need to make a few extra stops to let the food settle in between each of those places.

Buddy
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Day and a half in Chicago... 2011/11/30 17:18:22 (permalink)
    If I want lists of recommendations of places to eat, I dont come to Roadfood. I come here for personal recommendations from people I have come to trust. And perhaps some conversation. This is, for the most part, a friendly forum. Had I had a response in the negative the first few times I joined Roadfood, I wouldnt be here now. THINK before responding.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1