Dayton, OH Donut Fest!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/29 14:28:50 (permalink)
Go there 1st thing in the AM and every cop in town is there.  maybe a stereotype but always a good add for a donut shop, lol.
The local country station had a big too-doo there a few years back.  I forgot the details but the place was packed with folks from cinci and dayton for the live show in the early AM.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/03 19:34:09 (permalink)

Wednesday July 1

Seeing as it was a short week at work, I didn't have a whole lot of time to make donut runs so this is my only update for the weekdays. Maybe 1 will come for Saturday and there will definitely be one on Sunday. For this time it was a revisit to Donut Palace and Rinaldo's.

First up was a jaunt to Donut Palace.

This is their version of the old fashioned. It was necessarily cakey but I think because it was a tad on the dry side. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't get it again or on a regular basis for that matter.

A whole wheat that was solid but could have used a little bit more glaze to make it a tad sweeter in my opinion. It wasn't as dry as the old fashioned so that was a bonus.

A version of the chocolate cake donut. It was probably the best thing for the visit. It was nice and chocolate flavored but not overpoweringly so.

Here are the stats for this visit only.

What to Get: Chocolate Cake
What to Avoid: Old Fashioned
What is Passable: Whole Wheat

Next up is Rinaldo's. I do have to point out that he is possibly the friendliest baker that I have ever met at any of these places. Always nice and willing to make suggestions and this time again he threw in some donut holes to "make a full box". I think it would have been full regardless.

It was nice and boxed up so I could just take one picture.  The cinnamon danish was a pretty good specimen as it was nice and sweet and super moist. The peanut butter danish was too much on the sweet side as it seemed like he added just too much powdered sugar to make the frosting. The carmel persian was very, very good on this visit as the frosting was still a tad on the loose side and really made an impression on me and will be added to tie with Bill's and Jim's for the best. The chocolate cake was too fudgy for my opinion and just didn't do it for me. The glazed pretzel was alright but was not as good as it's donut hole counterparts which were pretty darn good.

What to Get: Cinnamon Danish, Carmel Persian, Donut Holes
What to Avoid: Peanut Butter Danish, Chocolate Cake
What is Passable: Glazed Pretzel
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 492
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/04 07:55:36 (permalink)
We have some good local donuts around here, but really one a couple of place that I can think of, although you may have inspired me to go on a local donut hunt! Great reviews, although I am getting worried about your blood sugar levels!!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/04 10:31:53 (permalink)
I think he's a youngster.  So let's pray for his arteries while we enjoy the report.  :)
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/06 18:53:16 (permalink)

Saturday July 4

Having to take my parents to the airport for a vacation...without me, it put me in close proximity to Jim's and Ele Cake Co. so I decided to partake in some donut deliciousness... or so I thought.

First up was Jim's.

Not sure what this was going to be like I really wasn't sure what to expect. It wasn't bad but I can't say that I would get it again.

The cream cheese danish was a tad on the dry side and could have used the cream cheese to be spread out a little bit more but I have had worse.

A solid version of the Devils food that was nice and moist and had a good flavor.

A creme filled rounder with carmel topping which was a big disappointment as I like their carmel and their creme filling but there wasn't enough of either on this version.

Seeing as I really needed to try more than a few glazed pretzels to be more definitive I got this one. It had a nice glaze flavoring but was just a tad on the dense side that makes it a very good version but not the best. Much better than the last time I got it.

Here are the stats for this visit only.

What to Get: Glazed Pretzel, Devil's Food
What to Avoid: Creme Filled Carmel Rounder
What is Passable: Berry Explosion, Creme Cheese Danish

Next up was a trip to Ele Cake Co. I did get a few more sweet items that are not donuts that were quite excellent but here are the few donuts I got.

Wow, the flavor was great but I didn't have more than 2 bites as it was about as solid as a rock. If they could tone down the tough nature this could be a great donut with an awesome orange flavor.

The whole wheat is a pretty good solid version but nothing made it really stand out.

I should have guessed that their Devil's Food was going to be good considering they do excellent cakes but I was truly surprised how good it was.

On Sunday was a trip to Columbus so we get some out of town donut deliciousness soon to come.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/06 19:03:14 (permalink)

Sunday July 5

I ended up making my way up to German Village for a foodie day and to visit two places that I have read a lot about and I saw that Buckeye Donuts was nearby so I figured I had to do my duty to try them out. You can check out a separate thread for my report on the other eats that I had.

Buckeye Donuts
1363 S High St
Columbus, OH

They have two locations up in a relatively close proximity to one another off of High St. I went to the one that was closer to German Village and I was quite surprised by the selection that they had inside and I knew I was going to be getting a lot, although not eating all of them because then I wouldn't have room for food the rest of the day.

It looked to be so promising but for the most part I was left disappointed again. The creme filled long john was pretty much flavorless with a pretty sad creme filling. The crumb donut was truly bad as it was too dense and flavorless that I didn't even finish my first bite. You can't see the apple fritter hiding under the cinnamon roll but it may be better off that was as it was pretty bland.  The cinnamon roll was pretty good with a nice glaze and moistness to it. The bottom right is a chocolate creme filled powdered sounded good on paper but there wasn't enough creme to make it worth much attention although the donut was nice and soft.  Out of the two Devil's food the vanilla iced was very good while the plain was really dry and I didn't even finish my first bite as well.

What to Get: Vanilla Iced Devil's Food, Cinnamon Roll
What to Avoid: Crumb Cake, Creme Filled Long John, Devil's Food, Chocolate Creme Filled Powdered
What is Passable: Apple Fritter

I don't know if my disappointment with some of these donuts was a by product of being over taxed on donuts so I will probably be taking a break from donuts for a while short of having 1 or 2 every so often but nothing has heavy as I have done recently. Thanks for all of you who have kept up with me and I will continue to update this as I try more in the future.
mlinkinhoker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/07 23:33:36 (permalink)
Soccer - DH is from Springfield so a stop there is a required part of any visit.  We are heading there this weekend for perhaps one of the last times as we are moving MIL to an assisted living facility in Michigan closer to one of my SILs.

Donuts are okay but for me - it's the other stuff I go for.  They have a cookie - I want to say it's called a butterfly or something like that which is what DH has to have and if you get a star on your receipt, you get one free.  I think it's a couple of cookie doughs combined but it's nice and sort of a butterscotchy flavor.  The ones I HAVE to have are these fruit bars - chewy and gingery.  I try to keep some in the freezer and have almost duplicated this recipe after years of searching and trying.
andyh40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/08 10:47:22 (permalink)
I am a native of Springfield, and believe me when I say, they are "gods" in Clark County. I'm surprised you didn't try their creme filled chocolates...that's what they're most famous for. If you love chocolate fudge icing, they slather the top of the donut until theres about 1/4 inch of fudge on top. I have always found an over-abundance of creme filling on the inside, although it is a little too rich for my palate...I love 'em anyway!
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/08 13:28:46 (permalink)
andyh40

I am a native of Springfield, and believe me when I say, they are "gods" in Clark County. I'm surprised you didn't try their creme filled chocolates...that's what they're most famous for. If you love chocolate fudge icing, they slather the top of the donut until theres about 1/4 inch of fudge on top. I have always found an over-abundance of creme filling on the inside, although it is a little too rich for my palate...I love 'em anyway!

So excuse me for being dense but I don't remember coming across this DH in Springfield. Which place are you exactly talking about?
andyh40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/09 09:14:41 (permalink)
Sorry about that...forgot to say. (embarrassment) It's Shuler's Bakery. They have been around for more years than I can remember.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/09 09:30:06 (permalink)
andyh40

Sorry about that...forgot to say. (embarrassment) It's Shuler's Bakery. They have been around for more years than I can remember.

It is ok, but I have been to Schuler's and to be honest have only gotten 2 things in about 2 dozen different items that I liked. Most of the other things I have ever gotten have been extremely dry and flavorless and I have been there right when they open and would obstensibly be the freshest.

After all my trips to everywhere my go to place is still Bill's.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/09 13:11:09 (permalink)
soccer -- 'DH' is what mlinkinhoker calls her husband, I believe it's 'Dear Husband.'
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/09 14:04:47 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

soccer -- 'DH' is what mlinkinhoker calls her husband, I believe it's 'Dear Husband.'

Ok, that makes sense now. I was really confused as I was looking for a donut place that had DH in Springfield and the only place I could think of was the Donut Haus in Springboro.
In that case I had tried in a previous trip their Creme Filled Chocolate Covered and found them to be pretty much on par with others I have had and didn't really stand out, assuming she is still referring to Schuler's.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 649
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/11 22:03:11 (permalink)
I admire you for taking this donut plunge. Donuts, including good donuts, are kind of scarce in Milwaukee, so I don't even really bother except when I'm in the Northeast U.S.  But it looks like there are some treasures to be had in Ohio!

A couple of weeks ago I was in Cincinnati and a group of my coworkers took a taxi to the area near Norwood for an early dinner. Afterward we went over to a mall in Norwood to visit a bookshop, and passed right by Buskens. I did my best to convince everyone to stop, but sadly, to no avail.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/07/13 07:16:32 (permalink)
quijote

I admire you for taking this donut plunge. Donuts, including good donuts, are kind of scarce in Milwaukee, so I don't even really bother except when I'm in the Northeast U.S.  But it looks like there are some treasures to be had in Ohio!

A couple of weeks ago I was in Cincinnati and a group of my coworkers took a taxi to the area near Norwood for an early dinner. Afterward we went over to a mall in Norwood to visit a bookshop, and passed right by Buskens. I did my best to convince everyone to stop, but sadly, to no avail.

That is a crying shame because they do have some pretty fine pastries and desserts. While I wasn't impressed with the brownie that I tried, it was still fairly good and I saw a bunch of pies the times I went in to visit. Maybe next time!
arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/08/18 16:13:16 (permalink)
My husband and I were up early on a Saturday morning to help a family member move, so we stopped by the Donut Haus in Springboro.  (No pictures, I'm afraid.)  We didn't get much, just the basic yeast glazed, chocolate cake, and an apple fritter.

All were good, although I admit I don't often eat doughnuts and don't have much of a yardstick for comparison.  The apple fritter was the hands down favorite--slightly dense but not too chewy, nice cinnamon flavor and not too much sugar glaze on them.  We'd go back.  :)
CindyMom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2013/01/13 08:16:18 (permalink)
Busken's??? IGNORE advice that Busken's Bakery has the best of anything because they use trans fats.  It's the cheapest fat and/or helps the shelf life.  In their case, it's simply the cheapest ingredient; I can detect it on my palate as opposed to other oils or butter.

My favorite donuts are at Ashley's Bakery in Oakwood.  I'll also drive a ways to Boosalis Bakery in Springboro.  Both previously won www.activedayton.com "best of" in years past.  Granny C's in Huber Heights won this year; I'll get there when I have time.

post edited by CindyMom - 2013/01/13 09:29:16
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2013/01/14 12:19:53 (permalink)
Whar happened to the images??
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1