Dayton, OH Donut Fest!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
2009/06/16 21:02:35 (permalink)

Dayton, OH Donut Fest!

After being inspired by a poll on Activedayton.com for the best Donuts in Dayton, of which Bill's Donuts won, I saw a few places that I had never heard of and I just knew I had to try. I went on a some what binge of Donut eating this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and I thought I would share with you my results. I plan on updating this with more and more donut shops as I hit all, or at least, most of the donut shops in Dayton and the surrounding area. Dayton must love its donuts because we seem to have a lot of them.

I also plan on using this in order to keep a record of the BEST OF... each of the types of donuts/pastries/desserts that I give a try to.

Best Apple Fritter: Daniel's Donuts
Best Glazed Pretzel: Bill's Donuts
Best Glazed Cinnamon Roll: Jim's Donuts
Best Traditional Cinnamon Roll: Busken Bakery
Best Carmel Glazed Persian: [Tie] Jim's Donuts & Bill's Donuts & Rinaldo's
Best Dessert Pastry: Ele Cake Co.
Best Creme Horn: Jim's Donuts
Best Creme Filled Long John: Busken Bakery
Best Danish: Busken Bakery
Best Whole Wheat Cake Donut: Schuler's Bakery
Best Coconut Topped:Bill's Donuts
Best Old Fashioned: Bill's Donuts
Best Devil's Food: Donut Palace

*Edited on July 1st to add Rinaldo's to Carmel Glazed Persian, the Old Fashioned Category, and Devil's Food Category.
post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:36:34

47 Replies Related Threads

sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/16 21:28:40 (permalink)
    Pictures?
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/16 21:34:47 (permalink)

Friday June 12

After a particularly long workout and not really wanting to go in and do work yet I decided to take a trip to Jim's Donut Shop in Vandalia. Jim's is a little shop off of National Rd that is rather unassuming and is open 24/7. I had first heard about them a while ago from someone stating that they had the biggest apple fritters they had ever seen, I have gone several times but here are some pics from my last time there. I have arrived at around 6 am every time so as to get, possibly, the freshest donuts possible.

Jim's Donut Shop
    122 East National Road
    Vandalia, OH 45377-2102

Here is a few pics of what I got this last time. Although I didn't get a creme horn this last time they are quite good and large. If you can't tell from the pictures these suckers are huge and at $1.50 a piece they should be considering most donuts are half their price.

It had so much potential but tasted so burnt on the outside and even the core.

Nice and sweet but not overly so and of course...big!

Great carmel flavor and just an ever so slight crunch from the carmelized sugars of the donut glaze itself. Oh so good.

What to Get: Creme Horn, Carmel Persian, Glazed Cinnamon Roll
    What to Avoid: Apple Fritter, Glazed Pretzel, Pecan Roll
    What is Passable: Coconut Topped Cake, Peanut Butter Iced Cake

After eating my way through the carmel persian and the iced cinnamon roll, while passing on the apple fritter I decided that I was in the mood for some more punishment and made my way to the Ele Cake co. They have two locations, one in Beavercreek and one in West Carrollton. I decided to go to the "Main" location and headed to West Carrollton. They are usually open at 6 am on weekdays and 8 am on weekends. They are mainly a cake and pastry, which they are quite good at, but also have a selection of donuts and pastries.

Ele Cake Co.
    810 East Dixie Drive
    West Carrollton, Ohio 45449

Here is one pic of what I got this last time but have made visits on numerous visits. The prices are relatively on par with other "usual" donut and pastry places and the whole order for the 4 donuts came out to $3.50.

The apple fritter was a bit dry and could have used some more apple or cinnamon flavor. The carmel persian was alright, but nothing spectacular. The cinnamon roll was pretty bad as it was dry and didn't have nearly enough frosting or have enough flavor to it. What really shined was the buttercream filled donut. It really isn't a donut persay as a reason to eat buttercream frosting in the morning, and they really know their buttercream icing.

What to Get: Buttercreme Filled Donut
    What to Avoid: Cinnamon Roll, Apple Fritter,
    What is Passable: Carmel Persian, Tiger Tail, Cheese Danish, Glazed Pretzel

More on my donut exploits on Saturday to come later...
    post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:01:24
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/16 22:02:53 (permalink)

Saturday, June 13

Well I was hankering for donuts again and well I decided to make a further trip out than I would normally on a Saturday morning, but I was going to be doing and intense workout so that is how I rationalized eating so many donuts in the early morning. First off was Thacker's Donuts near the Miami Valley Hospital. I almost missed it but caught it out of the corner of my eye and pulled in.  The shop is relatively small and simple but sometimes that is all you really need.

Thacker's Donuts
    518 Wilmington Ave
    Dayton, OH 45420

Here is a pic of the 2 donuts that I got. Most of the items in the shop were fairly standard and I was in the mood for something special so I decided to just get the "basics".

The apple fritter was alright but nothing spectacular. The carmel persian was really pathetic to be honest and I don't think I would ever get that one again. I won't be making a special trip to get donuts from here again but if I happen to be there early in the morning I would be willing to give a few more a try.

What to Get: N/A
    What to Avoid: Carmel Persian
    What is Passable: Apple Fritter

Next up was Donut Palace. It is a lot further out than I thought it was going to be and getting into the lot can be kind of confusing with the intersection but I made it through easy enough. They have a fairly small shop but they have a big selection and I would definitely like to go and see what else they have because they have had one of the biggest I have seen.

Donut Palace
    3950 Salem Ave
    Dayton, OH 45406

Here is a few pics of what I got. I can honestly say that I was blown away by the creme filled long john. It had a very nice and sweet creme in the middle and they had an excellent carmel flavor to it that didn't take away from the creme too much. Too bad I dropped the last few bites when I was getting into my car. 

As I said the long john was excellent and the apple fritter wasn't too shabby either. It wasn't great but was definitely the best I have had that day.

They called it a glazed pretzel, looks more like a cinnamon roll to me, but it was alright none the less. It was a nice and sweet glaze and the donut was delicate enough but I can't say it really wowed me.

What to Get: Creme Filled Long John, Apple Fritter
    What to Avoid: N/A
    What is Passable: Glazed Pretzel

Being already in the area I decided to make one last stop as I didn't think I would make my way to that area again any time soon so I thought I would take advantage of the location. Rinaldo's is a full service bakery that has pastries, donuts, cakes, and various and assundry other sweets. The owner was really nice and he even threw in a few donut holes for free.

Here is a pic of the 3 donuts that I got. I saw most of standard donuts and I saw a pastry called a "Carmel Porcupine" that really intrigued me so I picked one up in addition to the apple fritter and carmel persian.

Sorry about the picture quality but it looked alright when I took it but now, not so much. The apple fritter was light and delicate with a good flavor and visible chunks of apple in it. It trumped Donut Palace for best apple fritter of the day so that was a bonus. The carmel persian was a pretty standard and good version but nothing spectacular. The carmel porcupine was good in concept but the pecans dominated the flavor and I couldn't taste anything else.

What to Avoid: Carmel Porcupine
    What is Passable: Apple Fritter, Carmel Persian

Sunday was the final day of my donut extravaganza and more on it later...

post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:04:23
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/16 22:20:19 (permalink)

Sunday, June 14

Being on the verge of donut coma I decided to brave it one more morning in order to try out a brand new bakery in the area called Lynn's Daylight Donuts. I ended up arriving early due to some incorrect information on Dayton Daily News, so as an FYI they don't open until 6 am officially on the weekends as opposed to 5:30 am during the week. They were nice enough to let me in so long as I knew that I couldn't get everything as they didn't have everything ready.

Lynn's Daylight Donuts
    4680 Wilmington Pike
    Kettering, OH 45440

The shop is in a relatively dead zone of Kettering but was easily enough accessible. They had a good selection of donuts but I was in a groove for certain ones and I knew what to get. This was my first visit, but I will definitely be stopping by again to try out more.

The carmel persian was quite good as it was still slightly warm from the fryer and would have been excellent if the carmel would have been just a tad stronger in flavor. The glazed "cinnamon roll", don't know what else to call it but maybe a knot, was pretty good but overly glazed in my opinion. The apple filled powdered was pretty good but nothing that fantastic

What to Get: Carmel Persian
    What is Passable: Glazed Knot, Apple Filled Powdered

Deciding that I need a "Palate" cleanser I decided to stop by my old haunt, Bill's Donuts. I have been a Bill's fan since I was a kid and I was glad to see that they won the poll online, but I know that they do have their faults. They are located off of I-48, across from a Marions and right down the street from Incarnation Church.

Bill's Donuts
    268 N Main St
    Centerville, OH 45459

They are another one of the 24/7 shops and I can attest to how good they are at practically any time. They have a ton of parking and after practically any mass at the church nearby you will invariably see a bunch of church goers there. Parking is relatively easy enough to get though. I have been to Bill's so many times and will definitely be back in the future.

What can I say, I am a glutton for punishment. The apple turnover was pretty pathetic to be honest as the shell needed to be baked further and the apple filling wasn't anything special. Same goes for the creme horn and let's just say they need to stay away from the pastries and stick to donuts. The glazed pretzel was just as light, delicate, and sweet that I remember it and brought back so many memories. The carmel persian was not quite as big as Jim's but it was a little bit more delicate and I cared for the carmel a little bit more but not enough to call a definitive winner. The apple fritter was passable, but certainly nothing that I would say blew me away as much as I remembered it being

What to Get: Carmel Persian, Glazed Pretzel, Donut Sticks, Donut Holes
    What to Avoid: Creme Horn, Apple Turnover
    What is Passable: Apple Fritter, Coconut Topped, Creme Filled Long John, Sprinkle Topped

Even after my binging I would say that there are plenty more donuts to come in the future, so stay tuned for more.

post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:06:33
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/17 07:29:48 (permalink)
    Wow!  A doughnut smackdown!  Good work.  I am sooo jealous.  After researching on the internet, and starting a thread on Yelp, I have determined that in my county of population 2,000,000+ there is only ONE (1) independant doughnut shop. 
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/17 07:50:09 (permalink)
    I do love an Apple Fritter and the best one I have found is in Buxton NC at the Apple Blossom Bakery,Just in the shadow of The Cape Hatteras Light.
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/17 08:05:24 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Wow!  A doughnut smackdown!  Good work.  I am sooo jealous.  After researching on the internet, and starting a thread on Yelp, I have determined that in my county of population 2,000,000+ there is only ONE (1) independant doughnut shop. 

Wow! In a city that is a fraction of that size, according to a nice website I found for the listing of donuts shops, although it is certainly not exact, there are 17 in the Dayton and it's surroundings.

If you are having trouble finding an independent place try. The link here to Donut Info.  According to that website there are 23 in "Miami". Dont' know what they defined to be Miami, but I found this website to be helpful as I thought that there were only a few donut shops in Dayton until I saw the poll and found this website when looking for hours for some places.

Good luck!
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2392
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/17 08:18:08 (permalink)
    Soccer, you are a very, very bad man!  Thank you so much!!!  I've got a couple of donut shops left to profile here in NYC.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/17 08:24:36 (permalink)
    Soccer862923

MiamiDon

Wow! In a city that is a fraction of that size, according to a nice website I found for the listing of donuts shops, although it is certainly not exact, there are 17 in the Dayton and it's surroundings.

If you are having trouble finding an independent place try. The link here to Donut Info.  According to that website there are 23 in "Miami". Dont' know what they defined to be Miami, but I found this website to be helpful as I thought that there were only a few donut shops in Dayton until I saw the poll and found this website when looking for hours for some places.

Good luck!

I can't seem to get that site to work for me.  I tried "Miami" and "Miami, Florida" and neither got results.  Using my zip code got me a half-dozen Dunkin Donuts.
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/17 12:08:47 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Soccer862923

MiamiDon

Good luck!

I can't seem to get that site to work for me.  I tried "Miami" and "Miami, Florida" and neither got results.  Using my zip code got me a half-dozen Dunkin Donuts.

I would suggest that if you are having troubles to not try the search but rather choose the "State" option above the search bar and choose Florida, then whatever location would best serve you. Yeah once I finally looked at the Miami results I was dismayed to see a ton of Dunkin Donuts! I think 15 of the 17 were Dunkin and that is just kind of sad.
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/24 21:41:30 (permalink)

Thursday June 18

I just so happened to be in Cincinnati for 4 days doing some volunteer work at Xavier University. I had heard that there was a local bakery nearby and after I googled, I found Busken Bakery at just over 1 mile away. I knew I had to go but I was skeptical because of the chainish nature but I decided it being the closest I needed to at least give it a try.

Busken Bakery
    4103 Mongtomery Rd
    Norwood, OH 45212

Here is a pic of what I got on this trip to the bakery and after my first trip I made a daily trip every morning until I left Cincinnati. Yeah these items are that good.

The cheese danish had a nice creamy flavor to it and was nice and flaky. The cookie sandwich was fairly good although the creme could have probably been a bit sweeter but the chocolate cookies were nice and moist. The apple streudel had a good filling to it and an almost perfectly flaky shell. The long john with vanilla and chocolate topping was probably the weakest thing I had but was certainly not bad. The Alligator danish was fantastic and it was super moist with a nice brown sugar filling in the middle. The pecan roll was nice and moist and super tasty as it seemed almost undercooked but it ended up being a really good thing. The carmel topped creme filled long john replaced Donut Palace as having the best one I have had, although this is Cinci and doens't quite apply.

On other visits I tried their raised cinnamon roll which was absolutely fantastic and I would highly recommend getting at any point as it is nice and moist with a nice gooey center of brown sugar and cinnamon. They have cheese pockets which are liked glazed donuts with a small pocket of creame cheese filling that could have used a little more cream cheese but were good regardless.

What to Get: Cinnamon Roll, Carmel Topped Creme Filled Long John, Alligator Danish..Practically Anything
    What is Passable: Mixed Glazed Long John
    post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:07:36
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/24 21:59:38 (permalink)

Monday June 22

Being that I was back in Dayton and I had not gotten much sleep in the past several days I decided that I really needed some sugar pick me up to keep me going in the morning. Seeing as I really didn't want to go into work I decided to make my way to 2 places: Stan the Donut Man and American Classic Donuts.  First up was Stan the Donut Man as I had wanted to go to another place but it ended up being closed on Mondays.

Stan the Donut Man
    1441 Wilmington Ave
    Dayton, OH 45420

Ok, so I know the quality of the photo isn't that great but I ended up snapping it as I was driving away. I had been here the week prior but forgot to take photos and this time I decided to try a few different items to see if I would have any better luck.

The carmel persian was a fairly standard variety as it had a decent carmel flavor and the roll itself was much moister this time around. Not awesome but passable.

The cream cheese topped danish was just alright. It certaintly wouldn't be something that I would get again, but it wasn't horrible.

This is one of their pineapple fritters which I hadn't seen anywhere else and knew I had to try. Unfortunately it is like their apple fritter and it is dissapointing. There was barely any pineapple flavor and I ended up not finishing it.

Still didn't find anything that makes me want to come back in the future, but I wouldn't pass it up should I get a donut craving and be in the area. Solid donut shop but not anything particularly exciting.

What to Avoid: Apple Fritter and Pineapple Fritter
    What is Passable: Cream Cheese Danish, Carmel Persian

My next stop was the American Classic Donuts that I had been to on several occasions and found them to be fairly solid. I ended up making my way there on the way back to work as it was on the way and I hadn't been there in a long....long time.

It is a fairly small shop with most of the standard fair although for some reason they use Maple Icing as opposed to the more traditional Carmel. I thought it was a fairly interesting choice, but figured I would need to try it to pass the proper judgement.

First up was the maple iced cinnamon roll. It was a unique flavor that I just didn't feel was quite strong enough. The donut was nice and big as well as being moist and not dried out but I just can't say that the flavor of the icing was good.

This is their peanut butter filled long john. I found the peanut butter flavor to be not strong enough for my liking that it just seemed like they barely flavored the creme filling. If they bumped up the peanut butter flavor I would think about getting it again.

Their apple fritter looked like my personal favorite at another donut shop so I knew I had to give it a try. This is a very good version that is second only to my favorite, profile soon to come.

Basically American Classic Donuts is a solid little shop that I can recommend to anyone looking for a good apple fritter or a decent cinnamon roll.

What to Get: Apple Fritter
    What to Avoid: Peanut Butter Filled Long John
    What is Passable: Maple Persian
    post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:13:15
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/24 22:23:50 (permalink)

Wednesday June 24

This was a difficult trip to make as I had been to Schuler's previously and had been dissapointed both times, but I wanted to give them one more try. The other stop was one of pure location as I was only 1 mile or so away and I figured why not.

Schuler's Bakery
    457 E Main St
    Springfield, OH 45503

This is a nice little shop that does a fairly big selection of donuts, but I was surpised I still haven't seen an apple fritter there which is really disturbing and dissapointing.

On this occasion the gingerbread cookie was dry and flavorless. The whole wheat donut was really good as it had a nice moist flavor but a good glaze that didn't dominat the donut. The fried cinnamon roll was alright but nothing spectacular. The creme filled carmel topped was alright but could have used a better carmel flavoring. The highlight was the apple danish was the best thing as it had a nice apple flavor filling and it stayed nice and moist.

On previous occasions I had tried a burnt cream puff that really need to be baked less and have a better filling. The creme horn could have been much more flavorful and the size of the shell reduced. The cinnamon sugar danish was dry and flavorless as well as their carmel persian.

What to Get: Apple Danish and Whole Wheat Donut
    What to Avoid: Creme Puff, Creme Horn, Cinnamon Sugar Danish, Carmel Persian, Gingerbread Cookie
    What is Passable: Carmel Topped Creme Filled Rounder

Next up was Kim's Donuts as it was relatively close by. I didn't know anything about it and I almost passed it by as it is kind of hard to see and locate.

Kim's Donuts
    2521 E High St
    Springfield, OH 45505

By far this was the biggest disappointing for all of the donut places I went to and I highly doubt that I will be back due to it's location and my initial reaction.

The apple fritter was really super thin and had no apple flavor at all. I mean this is by far the worst apple fritter I have had. The creme filled carmel long john had a flavorless carmel and the creme was only in the very center of the donut. By all means I would skip this place and go to Schuler's if you have a choice.

What to Avoid: Apple Fritter and Creme Filled Carmel Long John
    What is Passable: N/A

Hopefully my next donut visits will have better results.
    post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:14:58
    xwafflesx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/26 21:13:20 (permalink)
    Wow,  I didn't know that area of Ohio had so many donut shops.  I live in Buffalo, NY and I only know of one local donut shop in the county.
    marky90
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/26 23:18:02 (permalink)
     Fantastic report!   On your donut search and adventures have you ever come across a "Cherry Stick"?  Like a glazed fritter, shaped like a log made with a cherry cake batter?  They were so common here in Michigan, buy a long gone chain called Dawn Donuts..Thanks again!
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/27 12:10:01 (permalink)
    marky90

Fantastic report!   On your donut search and adventures have you ever come across a "Cherry Stick"?  Like a glazed fritter, shaped like a log made with a cherry cake batter?  They were so common here in Michigan, buy a long gone chain called Dawn Donuts..Thanks again!

You know I don't think that I have seen anything like that yet. I have come across some cherry cake donuts, I think at Schuler's, but I don't think that they were glazed or like an apple fritter. Sounds interesting though.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/28 08:33:49 (permalink)

Soccer I am mightily impressed.  Can you explain to me what a 'persian' is exactly, and also the alligator danish?  I can never make it past one donut without falling into a diabetic coma so I'm awestruck at the specificity of your report.

Don I really think there's something cultural in the South.  It's like Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme totally have the corner on the market here, but I don't know of a lot of independent longstanding donut places in the South period.  It just seems like a food category that flourished further north and never got a foothold here.  Maybe biscuits are our donuts?  I don't know.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/28 09:12:45 (permalink)
    Not to forget.

Stan the Donut Man  607 N Detroit St Xenia, OH
    And we have the Donut Haus Bakery in Springboro as well.  Here is a local poll to compare.

http://www.activedayton.com/dayton/content/index/best-of-dayton/archives/042709bestof.html
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/28 15:05:56 (permalink)
    Wow, impressive report, Soccer!  Thank you for all the pictures and your excellent reviews.  I hadn't realized there were so many doughnut places in the Dayton area, either.  :)
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2392
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/28 15:22:32 (permalink)
    Dude, I thought that I was a donut freak!  I kneel before you!  Thanks so much for this great report!
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/28 20:16:52 (permalink)
    @Nanypalooza: A persian is basically just a cinnamon roll without a glaze except for maybe a carmel top or a carmel top with nuts on top. Basically the persian can be a variation with anything on top as opposed to a cinnamon roll which usually has a simple sugar glaze. I really wish I knew what was in the alligator danish. For my best guess is that it was brown sugar and cinnamon with maybe some finely ground nuts...one thing is for sure though, it was outstanding.

@brittneal: Yeah that one is coming up on my short list of ones I still need to hit. I haven't had a chance to make my way out to Xenia recently but have been making trips back to some places to see if there was any changes or additions to be made.

@billyboy: Thanks. I may be burning out on donuts here soon but I also think I am nearing the end of the list I have though, so that is good news.
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/28 20:30:27 (permalink)

Friday June 26

Seeing as I didn't have much time this morning but wanting to head back to some places to revisit quality and different items this is more of a recap of what I have been at before which is Bill's Donuts and Daylight Donuts.

First up is Bill's Donuts revisit.

The coconut cake donut was nice and moist but alas like most cake donuts I didn't feel like it had enough of a coconut flavor.

The old fashioned was just that, old fashioned and a classic.

The first couple bites of this Devil's Food were good, but after a while the flavor seemed to "wear off" and it seemed to be rather bland.

Their version of the whole wheat. It was good but not quite as good as others.

Here are the stats for this visit only.

What to Get: Old Fashioned, Whole Wheat
    What is Passable: Coconut,  Devil's Food

Next up is Daylight Donuts.

The porcupine looked like it had great potential and it was supposed to have a lot of cinnamon flavor but I found it rather bland even with a generous coating of glaze.

The apple fritter was alright, but nothing I would get again.

So I totally forgot to take a pre-shot before I dug in because I was so excited for this one. It was a carmel persian with graham cracker crumbs on top. The carmel was really soft and more of a frosting than a glaze like most traditional and the graham cracker made a nice change.

What to Get: Carmel Persian w/ Graham Cracker Topping
    What is Passable: Porcupine, Apple Fritter
    post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:17:56
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/28 20:40:43 (permalink)

Saturday June 27

I had a craving to go driving and for a creme horn so I knew I needed to head to Jim's. Also on this trip since I was a little crunched for time I made my way to a local place called Daniel's Donuts and got one of my favorites.

First up is the Jim's Donuts revisit.

I didn't have this until around lunch time because well a creme horn at 7 am is a little early even for me. It is the best I have had in the area as the shell has a nice sweet flavor and the creme in the middle is sweet but not overly so.

Here is the whole wheat in it's simplicity. It wasn't great but it was terrible.

What to Get: Creme Horn
    What is Passable: Whole Wheat

Here is a little place that I passed by for at least a year living nearby before I decided to stop in and I am glad I did.

Daniel's Donuts
    1878 S Maple Ave
    Fairborn, OH

A nice little unassuming donut shop at the intersection of "5 Points" in Fairborn.

A beautiful picture of their carmel persian. On this occasion it ended up being a little bit on the sweet side with the carmel flavor, so much so that I didn't finish it, but it was super moist which is a big bonus.

Ahh, my favorite apple fritter. It has a very generous glaze that compliments the nice apple chunks in it and it has a nice cinnamon flavor. This sucker is big, about as much as the carmel persian, and at a dollar is a steal.

What to Get: Apple Fritter, Carmel Persian
    What is Passable: N/A

post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:19:40
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/28 20:51:00 (permalink)

Sunday June 28

Don't know how much longer I can keep up this pace, but I think I am starting to get through a vast majority of the donut shops in Dayton, and I think I will be glad to have a break except for the occasional cake donuts that I still need to hit hard as I have mainly focused on the fancies. Today was just a 1 shop day, The Donut Haus in Springboro.

The Donut Haus
    305 W Central Ave
    Springboro, OH 45066

This place is off the "main" drag of Springboro and I had seen it a few times when going to soccer games when I was younger and remembered it only after reading the activedayton poll.

This glazed pretzel looks good right? Yeah that is why I decided hey it looks nice and fluffy and has a decent glaze, but boy was I wrong. It was big but super dense and the glaze was super thin. Didn't get more than 2 bites in before I stopped.

Here is the creme filled carmel long john. It is sitting on top of the aforementioned pretzel as I figured it could do something useful. It was a good rendition but the carmel was a tad too sweet for my liking.

They must have used a different carmel for this persian, because it wasn't overly sweet like the previously mentioned creme filled. It was a tad on the dry side but still a solid rendition.

The apple fritter is a solid representation and it is of the "chunky" style that I like as opposed to the "bar" style. Could have used some more apple chunks and cinnamon to live up to my favorite but solid none the less.

What to Get: Apple Fritter
    What to Avoid: Glazed Pretzel
    What is Passable: Creme Filled Carmel Long John, Carmel Persian
    post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/07/03 19:21:09
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/29 09:29:47 (permalink)
    WOW.  /me sends soccer a gift certificate for a colonic
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/29 10:07:31 (permalink)
    Here was my wifes favorite before we moved north.  Have you been here?

Milton's Donuts 3533 Roosevelt Blvd Middletown, OH map / directions send flowers here
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/29 12:21:35 (permalink)
    xwafflesx

Wow,  I didn't know that area of Ohio had so many donut shops.  I live in Buffalo, NY and I only know of one local donut shop in the county.

You are definitely right that we are lacking in local donut shops around here.  I miss Dickie's Donuts in North Tonawanda, even though they have been gone for years.

Soccer862923,

Nice report on all the donuts.  It's got me hungering for local donuts on my next trip, wherever it may be.

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/29 13:49:23 (permalink)
    Great report!!! I agree with just about everything you said.
    My Daughter worked at The Donut Haus when she was 14 to 16. Used to be a good place. Today it is hit or miss. Bill's is still good but not what it was when Bill was still alive. Bill's at ontime was as good as it gets for Donuts. Bills still uses the plastic cone coffe cups for dine in. There coffee is very good.  The Donut Man in Xenia is horrible. American Classic is very good also and it has a great array of characters that frequient the place...Russ
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Dayton, OH Donut Fest! 2009/06/29 14:18:48 (permalink)
    brittneal

Here was my wifes favorite before we moved north.  Have you been here?

Milton's Donuts 3533 Roosevelt Blvd Middletown, OH map / directions send flowers here

I was there months and months ago and got a few things but can't remember really. Don't think I was that blown away but I got them around 11 so they weren't as fresh as all the other places I have gone to so I definitely need to go there sometime for fresh ones for comparison sake.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1