Daytona Beach

Author
knorek
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2003/07/29 10:54:10 (permalink)

Daytona Beach

Friends,

I am spending a few days visiting my folks in Daytona Beach, FL. While I love my parents dearly, their idea of a good restaurant is one of the sit-down chains (specifically, Red Lobster and the Outback).

Is anybody aware of Daytona Beach restaurants that would be attractive to like-minded roadfood enthusiasts?

Many thanks,

Jack

1 Reply Related Threads

chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Daytona Beach 2003/07/29 15:40:50 (permalink)
    Daytona Beach like every town is overrun with chains and flocked to by many people but I can tell you of some really good places to go for a great meal.

For the freshest seafood in town, go right down to the end of the beach at Ponce Inlet and enjoy wonderful fresh seafood in great surroundings! Quite old Florida like and you can watch the dolphins in the river as you eat a good meal.

The best Cuban sandwich around can be found on Mason Ave between RIdgewood and Nova Road. It is a tiny place on the North side of road and is called Cuban Sandwich Shop. (I have been meaning to let the Sterns know about this place for a long time.) Owned by a lovely Cuban couple, you will not find more authentic Cuban food and their sandwiches are as good as in Tampa or Key West, if not better. They also offer real lovely lunch and dinner plate specials at such low prices you wonder how they can do it. They serve no alcohol but who cares when you can order a mango smoothie and watch the owner peel the mango after you order it!

Just a few doors away is Tydir's Cafe and Snitsel House, also very small. The food is all homemade and delish! He has snitzel's to die for and everything on the menu is great.

Under the North side of Dunlawton bridge is a place called JC's Lobster Deck. You order at the counter and sit and watch a little action on the river while you wait for your server to bring your fresh fish sandwich or bucket of oysters and pitcher of beer.

Going down toward Ponce Inlet, and right on the ocean, is a great place to have an outstanding fish sandwich (grouper is my favorite) and watch the waves and catch the wonderful sea breeze. This place is called Oceandock's and is just 1/4 mile from my condo. They have a large inside and outside bar and you can sit inside if you like and order from a dinner menu. I come just for the great sandwich so do not know what the dinners are like.

I can tell you more if you need..............we gotta keep those parents of yours away from the Red Lobster!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1