DeNic's pork (roast versus pulled)

Author
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
2013/10/09 13:02:18 (permalink)

DeNic's pork (roast versus pulled)

I've mentioned on here before that I work in a building that's attached to the Reading Terminal. I decided to get lunch from DeNic's today. I know the general consensus on here - and I agree with it - is that DeNic's does not make the best roast pork Italian sandwich in town. 
But I noticed while I was in line that they have two kinds of pork on their short menu. The roast pork is sliced thin and that's what I've always had in the past. But they also have something they call Italian pulled pork that is hand carved or pulled. I got one, and while I'd still go with John's Roast Pork or Tony Luke's, the Denic's Italian pulled pork is a definite improvement over their regular roast pork.  The meat seemed a little darker. It might be from a different part of the pig.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/10/09 13:26:13

3 Replies Related Threads

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:DeNic's pork (roast versus pulled) 2013/10/09 15:47:13 (permalink)
    I've had one at John's before and it was great. I think the broccoli rabe almost makes the sandwich...along with the juices. Are they served that way all over Philly?
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 570
    Re:DeNic's pork (roast versus pulled) 2013/10/09 16:45:25 (permalink)

I agree that Tony Luke's roast pork is better than DiNic's.    While visiting DiNic's, we spoke to co-owner Joe Nicolosi.   Even though DiNic's roast pork won "Best Sandwich in America" on a Travel Channel show, Joe Nicolosi himself said that he thinks  the Italian pulled pork sandwich is better.

So, there you have it.   From the mouth of the owner himself.  The Italian pulled pork is the way to go. 

I had the conversation after ordering the regular roast pork, so still have not tried the pulled pork.   ..... Next time ....

Glenn

phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re:DeNic's pork (roast versus pulled) 2013/10/09 19:50:37 (permalink)
    Pancho

I've had one at John's before and it was great. I think the broccoli rabe almost makes the sandwich...along with the juices. Are they served that way all over Philly?

I think that if you go back just a handful of years, it was a specialty of a few places in South Philly. But the sandwich has gained a lot of notoriety in recent years and has become more common around Philly. But a lot of places that offer it outside of the few legendary places like Tony Luke's, John's, and DeNic's aren't in the same league as those guys. I ordered it at one place where they just took some pre-sliced roast pork and dipped it in juice. It was a very mediocre sandwich.

One place that I never see mentioned anywhere, but which serves great sandwiches in general, is Pastificio, which is in pretty deep South Philly. I've never actually tried their roast pork. I've ordered hoagies and meatball sandwiches there. But I would bet they make a good roast pork Italian.     www.pastificiophilly.com
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1