Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel

Author
txtwister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 259
2005/05/18 19:10:33 (permalink)

Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel

OK, sorta kinda OT, but I'll bring it back around, I promise. ;-)

Any other fans of this absurdly stressful show? I go between wanting to boycott Alaskan king crab and eat LOTS of it to support these folks.

So having said that, if you were ONLY sticking to Alaskan king, not dutchess or Maryland blues (my personal favorite), where would you go to dinner?

4 Replies Related Threads

GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel 2005/05/18 23:38:30 (permalink)
    They did an initial TV documentary on the generic topic of the crab fishery a while back, and how hard and dangerous it its -- a relatively good amount of money for some seriously hard work, physically and mentally, for a relatively short period of time. A number of print documentaries have been produced as well. I've not done the crab catch but personally know a number of folks who did. Now they want to make the original documentary into some kind of reality show, highlighting the pain and stress, touting all the people who fall overboard and die and the boats that sink. The fishery has been there for a long time; I don't have an opinon about boycotting Alaskan king crab. I definetly will not be watching the silly television show. Any bets on the number of macho bozos who will be showing up at the crab boat hiring offices for the next harvest?
    aharste
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel 2005/06/08 14:19:44 (permalink)
    Ha! I have the exact same reaction. First I never want to eat Alaskan crab again (not that it's very affordable in Minnesota) and then I want to support these guys. They're going to do it anyway. It seems like a form of gambling; always wanting to see what the next pot will bring up. It must be kind of addicting.

I actually felt bad for them last night when they said it was the last year for derby style crab fishing.

Anyway, I love this show and will be sad next week after the last episode. There's just something about that Sig Hansen : ) and Donna on the Maverick can cook me breakfast anytime.
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel 2005/06/10 16:09:29 (permalink)
    Aharste, I'm absolutely stunned that we seem to be the only ones here that enjoy the show.

Gordon, I'm curious - what exactly makes it "silly" to you?
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel 2005/06/10 16:15:11 (permalink)
    They already flock to AK looking to make fast cash. Without any experience most end up on the slime line. (fish gutter) If they know their fish they might get promoted to sorter (sort fish) or observer (document catch).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1