Author
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
2011/07/21 14:32:22 (permalink)

Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop

Whew...that was a close one! 

http://www.tennessean.com...emain-open?odyssey=tab

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15123117/elliston-place-soda-shop-to-stay-in-business
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/21 18:24:08

17 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/21 15:17:51 (permalink)

The place would be a prime candidate for Food Network's Restaurant: Impossible and Robert Irvine's crew! Someone in Nashville needs to go down there and encourage them to contact Food Network!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10408
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/21 16:01:28 (permalink)
    Wonderful news!  Even though my one visit was less than stellar, I'm still happy to see it will continue on.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/21 16:13:19 (permalink)
    As a Vanderbilt Law School alumna, I'm delighted to hear this.  I'm still mourning the loss of Candyland.

I hardly ever get back to Nashville, but I'm happy to see this place survive.  It wasn't necessarily my favorite place in Nashville overall, but it was very convenient to the Vandy campus.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/21 17:42:29 (permalink)
    Thank goodness!  I'll have to swing by there this summer and have one of their great milk shakes.

TWog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/21 21:51:30 (permalink)
    Foodbme,
    Why? A "makeover" of the Soda Shop would be sacrilege. As a former patron (I no longer live in Nashville), there is nothing that needs to be changed. 

My fondest memory of EPSS is of a particular visit while in college in the early 80s. As typical college students, we ordered cheesburgers, fries and shakes. The waitress refused to submit our orders, insisting that we needed vegetables. No matter how hard we tried to convince her that we WANTED burgers, she was firm in her opinion. We had vegetable plates that evening. Only a Soda Shop waitress could have gotten away with that!
    post edited by TWog - 2011/07/21 22:28:07
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/21 23:09:21 (permalink)
    TWog

Foodbme,
    Why? A "makeover" of the Soda Shop would be sacrilege. As a former patron (I no longer live in Nashville), there is nothing that needs to be changed. 
    My fondest memory of EPSS is of a particular visit while in college in the early 80s. As typical college students, we ordered cheesburgers, fries and shakes. The waitress refused to submit our orders, insisting that we needed vegetables. No matter how hard we tried to convince her that we WANTED burgers, she was firm in her opinion. We had vegetable plates that evening. Only a Soda Shop waitress could have gotten away with that!

I'm not talking bout the menu or staff. I'm talking about some new wallpaper, paint, rugs and lighting, etc.
    Maybe some new tables and chairs. Clean the place up, evict the Roaches etc.
    Based on comments about the slip in food quality made by people who have been there recently, maybe they do need to shakeup the kitchen staff, reestablish the quality of the food coming out. Keep all the nostalgic stuff around there but upgrade the standards a little and don't tick off the Waitresses! Give the place a new energy that made it great.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5146
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/22 08:24:10 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Wonderful news!  Even though my one visit was less than stellar, I'm still happy to see it will continue on.

It's almost as if a higher power is telling you that you need to give it a second chance...

Brad
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10408
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/22 08:43:42 (permalink)
    Brad-
    It seems that way, huh?  On our previous visit, we got there about a half hour before they closed for the day and they were already out of many things we wanted to order.  Next time, I plan on showing up much earlier!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/22 09:03:18 (permalink)
    A little makeover would seemingly go a long way.  Most of the people talking with the fondest memories seem to be discussing the place like it is a museum of a restaurant that used to be good (with the exception of Poverty Pete, who apparently was conducting a job interview there!).  

It is always hard to judge a place on one visit alone, but my one visit did not make me yearn for another.  There are just too many other good places in Nashville.  Nonetheless, it hurts when a beloved place closes - and for the news that they will not, I, too, am happy.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7898
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/22 09:16:49 (permalink)
    I found an excerpt on Ellston Place Soda Shop from my trip report in 2005 as follows:

"I had one last meal in Nashville at the Ellston Soda Shop. I got the Turkey Casserole, with Mac N Cheese, Greens, Corn Bread, and Sweet Tea. The Turkey Casserole was good, the Mac n Cheese was not, frankly it tasted like it came from a box. The Lemon Ice Box Pie was definetly the icing on the cake (no pun intended) it was really good."

Agreeing with TTM, it was ok, nothing special- the only thing I really enjoyed was the lemon icebox pie- and I would return just for that- but there are many better places in Nashville- As far as Meat n Three's are concerned, I would certainly return to Swett's and Arnold's Country Kitchen.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/22 16:44:11 (permalink)
    TWog,
    So you see what was good & hip in the 80's, may not be so today.
    That's why everyone is nostalgic about the place---It is a place that was a place "Back When".
    They all would like to see it restored to its former glory.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/07/22 16:46:44
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/22 17:49:56 (permalink)
    Dale, I've got meat&3 places...hell, I've got all sorts of restaurants in Nashville that would be famous if anybody besides myself knew existed.
    TWog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/23 03:11:35 (permalink)
    Foodbme

TWog,
    That's why everyone is nostalgic about the place---It is a place that was a place "Back When".

Oh my gosh! No one ever ate at the Soda Shop because it was "hip". For you to make that statement, you must be either (1) a non-Nashvillian, or (2) a Nashvillian who is part of the "Industry" and therefore worries about what is "hip".  Several of the comments here appear to be from road foodies who base their opinions on one visit. Elliston Place Soda Shop still has many loyal customers, but like many other restaurants has hit a stretch of bad luck in this economy.  I don't have any problem with a clean-up, but for someone to suggest a visit from the Restaurant: Impossible show, where decor is not just updated, but redone, and where menus are completely overhauled, seems a bit overboard. A large part of the appeal is the nostalgia, and no one needs to overhaul that.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/23 04:11:20 (permalink)
    TWog
    Foodbme
    TWog,

Oh my gosh! No one ever ate at the Soda Shop because it was "hip". For you to make that statement, you must be either (1) a non-Nashvillian, or (2) a Nashvillian who is part of the "Industry" and therefore worries about what is "hip".  Several of the comments here appear to be from road foodies who base their opinions on one visit. Elliston Place Soda Shop still has many loyal customers, but like many other restaurants has hit a stretch of bad luck in this economy.  I don't have any problem with a clean-up, but for someone to suggest a visit from the Restaurant: Impossible show, where decor is not just updated, but redone, and where menus are completely overhauled, seems a bit overboard. A large part of the appeal is the nostalgia, and no one needs to overhaul that.

Don't make statements when you don't know what your talking about. I lived in Nashville from 1979 to 1983 as an adult, not a college kid, and ate at the place numerous times. My Daughter and her Native Nashvillian Husband and their family still live there (almost 20 years) and we visit frequently and have been to the EPSS numerous times and have watched it go downhill. My Daughter works at the Vanderbilt University Hospital in a Medical Management position.
    To people my age, the place was considered a "HIP" place to go. So don't tell me what's hip and what's not. It can be restored to look like it did originally. You make a lot of incorrect assumptions about what I was trying to convey without getting into great decor detail. The place needs help in the front and the back of the house.
    How many times have you been there in the last 10 years, or since you left Vandybrat University for that matter?

post edited by Foodbme - 2011/07/23 04:13:41
    TWog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/23 11:52:52 (permalink)
    Speaking of assumptions....
    I did not attend Vanderbilt. There are numerous other colleges and universities in the Nashville are. But I'm sure being the Nashville expert you are (based on your four years of residency), you knew that.

I, too, lived there  -  for twenty-three years, so I have experienced Nashville as both a college student and an adult. I have eaten more meals at EPSS than you can count. I visit Nashville at least twice a year and try to get
    there on at least one of those stays. 

I am unsure what your daughter's "Medical Management" position has to do with the subject, but, hey, I was an executive with a bank. Does that make me more or less of an authority on restaurants? 

I meant no offense when I responded to your original post. You are the one, sir, who introduced hipness in you rather ridiculous post.  

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/23 14:55:19 (permalink)
    I ate breakfast at Elliston  and had a more pleasant experience than wandering jew and TTm. Glad to see it is staying open and hope others will have more of the pleasant experience that i did.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Deal Reached To Save Elliston Place Soda Shop 2011/07/25 09:56:17 (permalink)
    I had a perfectly pleasant experience there.  I just thought that the food was ordinary, and the place could use a little TLC.  The people working there were quite nice.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1