Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger!

Author
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
2007/02/08 13:14:02 (permalink)

Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger!

These pre-fab, pre-frozen hockey pucks are taking over. Soon, the hand-shaped, fresh ground chuck, real hamburger will be history in most restaurants.

I'm seeing the "steakburger" substitution more and more in both chains and mom-and-pops. Must be the predictable final "surge" of fear in response to e-coli and mad cow.

Now, whenever I go out and see a burger listed on the menu, I ask if it's a prefrozen steakburger, warning that I will send it back for something else if they have been untruthful with me.

Most are bluntly honest. Not even defensive about it. I appreciate that, but I order something else.

The percentage I'm finding of steakburger-to-realburger is staggering in its drift to culinary conformity.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Please.

- Rusty

7 Replies Related Threads

PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger! 2007/02/08 14:03:57 (permalink)
    Hockey Pucks ?

I think your going into the wrong kind of places .......
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger! 2007/02/08 17:32:55 (permalink)
    Steak And Shake's entire reputation is built on their Steakburger.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger! 2007/02/08 17:46:39 (permalink)
    And I agree with Michael, Steak and Shake's reputation seems to be a good one, and we enjoy their burgers. To me, they taste like burgers should taste, and we don't mind that they are thin....sort of like the crusty edges on them.

Maybe we're not really burger experts, but a really thick burger is not to my liking, whether it's bought or done on our grill or broiler. And then too, we like our meat well done so maybe that's one reason we like Steak and Shake so much.

I have a feeling there will always be some places that do it right in accordance with the customer's wishes.

Donna
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger! 2007/02/08 19:10:31 (permalink)
    He's talking about frozen "steakburgers" out of a box. Not Steak and Shake.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger! 2007/02/23 02:26:59 (permalink)
    Cinderz around here still makes the real thing. They get the meat from the local meat market(Hean meats) where we go for all of our meats. I think its $5 for one.
    soozycue520
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1032
    RE: Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger! 2007/02/23 03:15:09 (permalink)
    I am sure what Rustywolf is talking about is pre-formed, boxed burgers, as in comparision to hand-pattied burgers.

When I go out to eat a burger {not often anymore}, and ask for medium-rare, it is usually the establishment that is serving pre-formed, frozen "steakburgers", that will tell me, "We only cook our burgers medium and above". There are few restaurants anymore {at least, around where I am} who serve a hand-pattied burger.

It's actually cheaper to serve fresh, hand-pattied burgers. It's just easier for restaurants to buy them pre-formed. I don't see why![?!?!]
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Death to the Ubiquitous Steakburger! 2007/02/23 15:44:11 (permalink)
    Yes, Yes, Yes, Soozy (and others)!

That's exactly what I meant, and no (specific) disrespect to Steak and Shake. I think anyone who goes there or to McD's has their eyes wide open. Well, mostly anyone.

On the other hand, it seems to me that it is becoming a national scandal (based on nothing more than own undocumented {burp!} "research") how many restaurants, chains and otherwise, are now grilling up these frozen beef hockey pucks right out of a Costco or Sam's Club box.

Ask your server when you order a burger if it's freshly ground and hand-shaped. They're not at all shy about telling you it's not. They see nothing wrong with dishing out this pre-fabricated schlock because their customers are for the most part docile bystanders, accepting blindly whatever comes out of the kitchen.

My plea is simple: Save the hamburger! Death to the ubiquitous "steakburger"!

Note to Homeland Security: This is purely an esoteric food rant, the use of the word "death" in the above paragraph and title of this topic not intending to construe or convey any threat whatsoever of actual harm or malice to the food product in question or its purveyors.

Thank you all for the great job you do and God Bless America, etc. and etc.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1